Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy VII

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Jan 31, 1997

The seventh numbered entry in the Final Fantasy franchise brings the series into 3D with a landmark title that set new industry standards for cinematic storytelling. Mercenary Cloud Strife joins the rebel group AVALANCHE in their fight against the power-hungry Shinra Company, but their struggle soon becomes a race to save the entire Planet from an impending cataclysm.

If I have never played a Final Fantasy game, should I play this?

deadly_polo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By deadly_polo

Ok, so I have never played a Final Fantasy game (don't be mad), and having seen this on PSN for £8 I'm tempted into buying it. Given also the large apparent love for this game, is it a worthy game for me to play even a decade after it came out?

Btw, do I need to learn the backstory to make the story make sense, or will it be good on its own?
    Thanks.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Red

The only relation between Final Fantasies are Chocobos. You should definitely play FF7, but if you need a Final Fantasy to start with, I think that IX or I are the best starting points.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Pie

Its fine on its own with any backstory and you definetely should. Dont listen to all the idiots who ae bound to swarm this thread saying how bad it is.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By the8bitNacho

If you've got a PSP sure.  On today's TVs however, the visuals in this game might give you a headache.

vasta_narada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By vasta_narada

FF7 is definitely an old game, and it kind of shows its age. The game itself is fine, though. It's the most popular, but I don't think it's the best. If you have the money to burn, I guess you could go for it.

Also, it's standalone from the rest of the FF games, unless those ones are also named FF7

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By Meowayne

You should not play it. If you missed in it's time, you most probably won't like it.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Jayge_

If you like classic jRPGs, you should definitely pick it up. It still holds up pretty well. Not the best (its 3d isn't just aging; it's died, decomposed and moved on to the netherworld) in terms of anything (gameplay, story, graphics) but still enjoyable.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#8  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

It depends on if you enjoy retro gaming and don't mind a bit of blocky graphics.  Personally, I still enjoy the hell out of Final Fantasy VII, and I vote go for it.  But keep in mind it's pretty traditional turn-based role-playing.  You don't need any sort of backstory to play the game, as each FF game is unique unto itself until you get to FFX-2.  Hope you enjoy it!

DECA555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By DECA555
    @Red said:
    " The only relation between Final Fantasies are Chocobos. You should definitely play FF7, but if you need a Final Fantasy to start with, I think that IX or I are the best starting points. "
              excuse me? 
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#10  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Final Fantasy VII, more than any other video game classic of that era, has suffered from the ravages of time. The reason everyone likes it is because of how awesome it apparently was in 1997, but now it looks terrible, the translation is of questionable quality, and the gameplay is... not great. Nonetheless, it might be a good history lesson to see what almost every J-RPG has aspired to be for the last 12 years. It's up to you.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#11  Edited By AgentJ

Start with either a more recent one (X, XII) or an old-school game (I, II, III, IV, V, VI) to see if you like the formula. FFVII will likely only be entertaining to a modern day player if they have a stake in the series, not that there is anything wrong with that. If you do, you may still not enjoy it for some of the odd querks (as i did), but i'd still give it a shot. 

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Red
    @DECA555 said:
    "
    @Red said:
    " The only relation between Final Fantasies are Chocobos. You should definitely play FF7, but if you need a Final Fantasy to start with, I think that IX or I are the best starting points. "
              excuse me? 
    "
    You are excused. Sorry for not noticing you sneezing.
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Stang
    @Red said:
    *cough* Cid, Biggs and Wedge *cough*
    Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Red
    @Stang said:
    "
    @Red said:
    *cough* Cid, Biggs and Wedge *cough* "
    Yeah, that's too confusing for him.
    Avatar image for DELETE_chickenpants
    ChickenPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ChickenPants

I'm really not sure.Just keep in mind that it's over a decade old when you're playing it I guess.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jimbo

There's no continuing story to worry about, so if you can handle random encounters in '09 then go for it.  7 was the first FF game I played - it was pretty awesome.

All Final Fantasy games should now have the option to skip all fights that aren't bosses.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

No, FF VII has dated really badly. It is only good for its nostalgic value.

meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

#18  Edited By meptron
    @MattyFTM said:
    " No, FF VII has dated really badly. It is only good for its nostalgic value. "
    Agreed. FFVII is awesome, but only in context. As the first 3D final fantasy it made huge leaps and blew my mind when I first played it. I wouldn't want to diminish its memory by playing it today.
    Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Cornman89

As has been stated already, keep in mind that it's a game from 1997, so the visuals, gameplay, translation, etc.will almost certainly be below your current standards and expectations. However, as a nostalgia piece and/or history lesson, it's practically a steal at that price. Plus, translation issues aside, the basic plot is still quite intricate and well-executed. I say go for it.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By Brendan

I still love playing it today, but I agree that you will have to get past it's dated visuals.  Play it just for the history lesson in gaming. 

Ket87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Ket87

FFVII was the game that got me into gaming in the first place and it is one of the better Final Fantasy games. If you've never played a FF game before 7 is a good starting point, probably 7 and 9 are the best places to start. The SNES and Playstation era FF games are the best so if you want a good idea of the series stick with those, the PS2 games (X and XII) are the weakest entries in the series as they were made after the creator of FF was on his way out of Square-Enix and I never liked the NES ones as they are a tad on the boring side.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#22  Edited By EpicSteve

FFVII is one of those "life games" that contrary to your feelings on the genre/game itself you need to ply it. I don't share the level of love as many others do for VII, but I recognize it for being arguably the best (and most talked about) game ever made. If you went to it today, however, it'll probably seem way out of date. If you're not bothered by the conventions of older games, get it.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By AgentJ
    @Ket87 said:
    " FFVII was the game that got me into gaming in the first place and it is one of the better Final Fantasy games. If you've never played a FF game before 7 is a good starting point, probably 7 and 9 are the best places to start. The SNES and Playstation era FF games are the best so if you want a good idea of the series stick with those, the PS2 games (X and XII) are the weakest entries in the series as they were made after the creator of FF was on his way out of Square-Enix and I never liked the NES ones as they are a tad on the boring side. "
    sad, the true number II was one of my favorites. 
    Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By Nasar7
    @kingchris28: Yeah, I would recommend FF VII as long you're into retro/classic games. It's important to remember that lots of things that were a wow factor back then like the graphics aren't gonna wow you today. But like someone else said, its a nice history lesson in games. A lot of now RPG cliches were started by FF VII, including the spiky haired main character with a huge sword. I personally played through FF VII again a couple months ago on the PC and I think it holds up very well. People that complain about how often random battles occur obviously haven't played any RPGs on the NES/SNES.  If anything I would recommend starting with FF IV and VI, then play VII so you could see the evolution of the genre and gaming in general. If you're into that. Either way, hope you enjoy it. 
    Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#25  Edited By Soap

If you have thumbs you should play this, simple as that.

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TheMustacheHero

FF12 anyone?

Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Adamantium

Buy it. Play it. The game shows its age, but it also holds up well. Newer FF games have lacked any customization system that compares to the Materia system, which is how you build up your characters in ff7. The story is good, the boss fights were highly original, and it offers much in the way of side quests, hidden secrets, and simple adventuring beyond just the storyline. It's a classic for a reason, and keep in mind that most of the kids that bad-mouth FF7 never actually had a chance to play it whlie it was new.  :)

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28  Edited By trophyhunter

no if you never than I'd play 10 because you would be able to appropriate what the game was when it came out
    that's the whole reason everyone love FF7  because like 10 years ago it was fucking amazing
    if you play it now not having played it before you'll think its not that good

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By JazGalaxy

I'm going to be the voice of descent and tell you that FF7 is the LAST FF game you should pick up and play at this poitn in time.

It was the first game that started to heavily leverage being a "technological marvel" as one of it's most important features and, since it is incredibly old, that is no longer a plus. 

But in order to maintain the then amazing visuals, they sacrificed gameplay elements. So if you're into long load times, poor environmental interaction, a dumbed down combat system, and a "cinematic" camera that takes full minutes to show you every grainy detail of the action in sweeping camera pans to highlight the "amazing graphics"  then you should play this game.

Otherwise play an earlier one like 4 or 6 or a later one like 10 or 12.
    Roboyto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Roboyto
    @Soap said:
    " If you have thumbs you should play this, simple as that. "
    i think that sums it up pretty well.  FFVII will probably always be right at the top of my all time favorite games for so many reasons. It introduced me to the RPG genre which I cannot thank Squaresoft and Hironobu Sakaguchi for enough, it changed the expectations of damn near everyone for what to expect out of console games, it became the benchmark everyone strived for in making their RPGs...basically it changed the landscape of gaming in general, not just the RPG genre. it is such a hugely important title that I cant imagine anyone thats been gaming for any length of time hasnt at least given it a shot.

Some of the remarks here are true, the game has not aged all that well graphically and perhaps gameplay-wise as well but I have played through the game at least 7 or 8 times, I have killed Ruby and Emerald weapon without consulting a guide, I blew damn near all the gil i made selling Mastered All materias getting my Gold chocobo, and I still go back every year or so and do these things again and I find every minute of it enjoyable. Like others said, just to play through it for the history lesson is worth it, you'll learn about the evolution of games from this title.

If youre not sure about being able to handle the way game looks, then i recommend(contrary to what others may say) go back and starting with FF10 and seeing how you like it and deciding from there. FF10 has, in my opinion, the best executed story of any of the games, I found it to be just unbelievably beautiful and beautifully told. It updated a lot of the mechanics youll find in FF7 and streamlined much of the experience. If FF7 hadnt had such a large impact on me as a gamer, FF10 would be my favorite in the series but, alas, thats not the way things turned out.(For those wondering how I could rank FF10 ahead of FF6, i have a disclaimer: there is a huge conspiracy preventing me from finishing FF6 as both SNES and PS1 versions always have my saved data get erased at some late, crucial points in the story so ive never finished it : \
    Ket87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Ket87
    @AgentJ

Yeah I never could get into the originals didn't see what all the fuss was about, for me at least FF's greatness started at FFIV. FFIV was the first game to really define what an RPG should be and paved the way for 6 & 7 which to me are the hallmarks of the franchise.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By AgentJ
    @Ket87 said:
    "
    @AgentJ

Yeah I never could get into the originals didn't see what all the fuss was about, for me at least FF's greatness started at FFIV. FFIV was the first game to really define what an RPG should be and paved the way for 6 & 7 which to me are the hallmarks of the franchise.
    "
    That's fair, but for some reason something about FF II really drew me. loved IV and VI (haven't finished VII but was very much turned off by the roaming worlds and non-battle character models) and i really want to play VIII, IX, X, and XII
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Stang
    @Ket87 said:
    "
    @AgentJ

"
    Agreed. Nothing compares to VI in my eyes.
    m_rum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By m_rum

Yes it's a great place to start. Don't listen either haters or fanboys. Just sit back, take your time and enjoy the game with all its flaws. It's a wonderful ride.

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By suneku

If you don't mind the out datedness, then you should definitely play. If you're wanting to play it already, might as well find out what all the hype was about.

CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By CowMuffins

FFXII was my favorite. I did not enjoy FFVII, I guess I played it too late.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#38  Edited By gla55jAw

Check out some screen shots and see if you can handle the graphics. The game is amazing thought. I would just get it and play. You'll enjoy it.

shrig32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By shrig32

This game is probably most people's first experience with Final Fantasy, so I say go for it! Just bare in mind that things might seem a little dated to today's standards, but I think that just makes it more cute.

deadly_polo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#40  Edited By deadly_polo

Wow, thanks, If i manage to scrape enough time together, I think I'll get it, see what gaming was like in the Old days.

cc23574

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By cc23574

Yes, it's an great game that I recommend to everyone!
    It has aged horribly but it's still an great game.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Jayge_

To be honest, there's nothing really wrong with the core gameplay at all. It has random encounters, which are slightly annoying, but the encounter rate is medium-low compared to other games of the time period in my non-numeric opinion. Someone might know the algorithms, who knows. The maps are tiny and the camera can be weird, but aside from very retro-gen menu systems and design, it still plays perfectly fine.

Alias01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Alias01

Funny, I've played every FF except FFVII.

I do recommend FFVIII, FFIX, and FFX though :)

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
    Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nothing wrong with the core gameplay at all as Jayge says.  The story is fantastic.  If you can put with the visuals and clunkiness that comes with a PS1 game it's really a classic.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By subject2change

FFIX reigns supreme, you can get copies of it still.
    Chrono Cross as well :p

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#46  Edited By Meowayne

The environment interaction is heavier than in any FF before it, there are no significant loading times, you can turn the "cinematic" camera off and how in the world could anyone describe the materia system as "dumbed down", especially considering that everything that came before with the exception of VI and most that came after can only look at it's splendour and possibilities from afar? ._.

I agree that VII hasn't aged well and that the TC shouldn't play it, but your reasoning is very... er. Smug-ish.

Boiglenoight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Boiglenoight

I agree with starting with IX first if you're looking to play a PSOne Final Fantasy.  It was the most polished of the 3.  VII was great for its time, and fantastic to come back to for nostalgia.  I picked it up for the PSP and I'm enjoying it, but I know what to expect; convoluted plot, really bad graphics, but great music and solid RPG system.  At the end of the day, it's 10 bucks so if you hate it, no big loss.

spiredcrescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By spiredcrescent

final fantasy 7 is a good game but its hard to go back to because of its age.  I prefer 6 over all of them and i think the 2-d ones hold up a little better, but i do agree that it would work well for a handheld

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Ineedaname

Get the PC version d/l high res textures if you're that bothered about graphics.

Either way I still think it's awesome and worth giving a go, it's got a nice story line, it's not the strongest but it's still well done with a view twists, and likeable characters, I think part of the fact I liked it was no voice acting, I could give them the voice I wanted them to have in my head.

ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ahriman22

FFVII remains my favorite (I finished the game when I was 6 years old).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.