Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy VII

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Jan 31, 1997

The seventh numbered entry in the Final Fantasy franchise brings the series into 3D with a landmark title that set new industry standards for cinematic storytelling. Mercenary Cloud Strife joins the rebel group AVALANCHE in their fight against the power-hungry Shinra Company, but their struggle soon becomes a race to save the entire Planet from an impending cataclysm.

Is Square out of touch? Or just mean?

• 107 results
    bongchilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I'm sure most saw the "reveal" of FF7 on PS4 and how it's just a port of the PC version. Thats it, nothing more. This version will still have all the translation errors and nonsense the PC and PSX version had.

Why book time at an event to announce this? Do they honestly think this is big news or are they happy in watching their fans squirm?

When they announced that FF7 was coming to PSN years ago this never happened it was just released. It appears they just like to make people angry now. Quite sad.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

I'm sure most saw the "reveal" of FF7 on PS4 and how it's just a port of the PC version. Thats it, nothing more. This version will still have all the translation errors and nonsense the PC and PSX version had.

I don't care if they don't fix the translation errors. Adds to the charm.

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Both. Remember that they have said that they didnt know western gamers like RPGs that were made for the Japanese consumer (Bravely Default).

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

I thought it was fantastic. And I promise it'll sell for $20-25. What an incredibly insane, hilarious thing to do.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

FF 7 was never that great of a game and it probably aged even worse. It was the entry point for a lot of westerners to Japanese RPG's and as such is always brought up but honestly there were better games before and after it. It's not a big deal. Can't complain about the release because hey, whatever, at least there is an option to own it on current consoles for those who want it. Personally I can think of other games from the past that I'd like to see made available for the PS4.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Fallen189

Idiots will pay money for a 17 year old game everytime they release it on something with a screen. They know people will buy it, which is sad but true. It's still a great game, however.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By gamefreak9

Seriously with the combat mechanics/story set, if you are going to do these re-releases at least update the graphics a little, I think we are at the era where FF7 is unplayable to new players. I'm sure that if you are a video game company(as big as they are) and have the basic archetype for each model it probably doesn't take long to just make them look like FF10 characters.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Zeik

I'd rather they not waste their time with a full remake, but they definitely set themselves up for a fall with the way they revealed that.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

FF 7 was never that great of a game and it probably aged even worse.

FF7 has indeed aged terribly. It runs on nostalgia and the materia system only. Its up there with FF1 and 2 in the most aged games in the franchise imo.

I bet you they have done crazy amount of research and simply find that the sales would not recoup the amount of money a full remake would cost.

The people who would be a full remake would buy a port that costs WAY less to do.

kingspeedy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For sheer curiosity, I wonder if it's a port of the PS1 version or the Steam version. The hilarious thing about the Steam version is that it's just a wrapper around the 1998 PC release. The rumored reason is that it's because Square doesn't have the original source anymore and found it easier to just make the wrapper. Kinda crazy to think the PS3 release could be a port of the Steam release which is just a wrapper around the buggy 1998 PC release.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Corevi
    @kingspeedy said:

For sheer curiosity, I wonder if it's a port of the PS1 version or the Steam version. The hilarious thing about the Steam version is that it's just a wrapper around the 1998 PC release. The rumored reason is that it's because Square doesn't have the original source anymore and found it easier to just make the wrapper. Kinda crazy to think the PS3 release could be a port of the Steam release which is just a wrapper around the buggy 1998 PC release.

The PS3 release is the PSX version emulated. The PS4 version is the Steam version.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

@humanity said:

FF 7 was never that great of a game and it probably aged even worse.

FF7 has indeed aged terribly. It runs on nostalgia and the materia system only. Its up there with FF1 and 2 in the most aged games in the franchise imo.

I bet you they have done crazy amount of research and simply find that the sales would not recoup the amount of money a full remake would cost.

The people who would be a full remake would buy a port that costs WAY less to do.

FFVI hasn't aged very well from what I played of it. Trying to navigate that world map was a nightmare, though this was the PS1 classics version.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

IGN's twitter account used an HD image of Cloud from I think Advent Children to extra fuck with people.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BradBrains

@yummylee: Yea thats a classic JRPG problem in general. I wouldn't say its specific to final fantasy. Them streamlining the "where the fuck do I go" part of RPGS over the years is the best improvement in the genre. Playing through ff4 right now and ive gotten lost a couple times. It adds to the charm of an old school game for me but gamplay wise its not great. FF6 isn't too bad about it I don't think though.

The ps classics one sucks because of the load times. it slows travel to a halt way too much

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee: Yea thats a classic JRPG problem in general. I wouldn't say its specific to final fantasy. Them streamlining the "where the fuck do I go" part of RPGS over the years is the best improvement in the genre. Playing through ff4 right now and ive gotten lost a couple times. It adds to the charm of an old school game for me but gamplay wise its not great. FF6 isn't too bad about it I don't think though.

I remember losing hours of progress in FF3/6 when I got to the ifrit factory and realized I didn't have enough potions to get through the area as it was full of tough fights. This was my only save and I was already in the factory, couldn't back out, could progress. There goes that.

Putting in Sabins moves a-la Street Fighter and defeating a ghost train were definite highlight though.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: Yup...thats sounds like a famicom era jrpg to me.

Even if you take away the things that haven't aged well in any/most jrpg's of the time FF7 isnt great.

Character designs are lackuster. It started the RPG trend of character designs being overly complicated for little reason.

the story itself isn't that great.

A lot of uninteresting characters and most arent fleshed out well.

Music is a downgrade from 6 and 4 in a lot of spots. to be fair thats a high bar.

many areas in the game are uninteresting visually and design wise

I know it sounds like Im being unfair or bitchy about the game but Im not trying to. I played HOURS of this game when it was out and enjoyed it at the time. It got a lot of people into RPGS which is awesome but I think its a game better looked back on positively than going back and trying to rekindle that love you and when it came out.

and of course this is all just my opinion. If you love this game keep loving it. im not one of those people who will shit on people liking something I dont ahah.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Has anything Square has done in the past decade indicated that they aren't genuinely this stupid?

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Has anything Square has done in the past decade indicated that they aren't genuinely this stupid?

The World Ends With You was pretty great... I think that's it?

benderunit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

The amount of time and setup this announcement was given was definitely out of place, but Sony probably feels they have to give Square some extra attention. One must assume someone told them they'd get made fun off for this.

That said, people these days are so quickly to pass FFVII up as this overhyped nostalgia legend. The game was fantastic at the time and the story is such a wild, enjoyable and, yes, emotional ride. LIke, blowing up a reactor, highway chases, infiltrating a military base, the golden saucer, the rocket, the submarine, etc.

MindBullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was something they never wanted to do, but people kept screaming for them to do it. So this is what we get.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

GalacticPunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee: @bradbrains: I don't want to be that guy who defends everything about old JRPG's, but getting lost on the world map in digital re-releases of FF6 isn't an inherent design flaw. The original cartridge came with a nicely labeled physical map of The World of Balance/The World of Ruin that enhanced my enjoyment of the game. It was nice to have that sprawled out in front of me, to pour over it whenever an NPC gave me a hot tip that a former party member was spotted in Mobliz. That interplay with a physical map made it that much more real in a kid's mind. I'll grant you that it's a little spoiler-y to see "The World of Ruin" as soon as you crack your SNES game box open...

Of course, when Square themselves are too oblivious to include that map in re-releases it gets confusing. I played the GBA version of FF6 a few months ago, and I had to pull that map out of Google image search often.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not sure why folks expected a remake when it's clear that Square has their hands full with FFXV and KH3.

Don't be crazy.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24  Edited By The_Nubster

Square needs money, so they put in the least amount of work possible to appeal to a very specific demographic of people. it's very underhanded and pretty gross, but they probably don't care.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Corevi

@flappy: Not a remake but atleast redo some of the assets.

Corwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe they're just strapped for cash and resources. A quick and dirty FF7 port can bring in a few dollars.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By hatking

@humanity said:

FF 7 was never that great of a game and it probably aged even worse. It was the entry point for a lot of westerners to Japanese RPG's and as such is always brought up but honestly there were better games before and after it. It's not a big deal. Can't complain about the release because hey, whatever, at least there is an option to own it on current consoles for those who want it. Personally I can think of other games from the past that I'd like to see made available for the PS4.

Yeah, this is kind of how I feel whenever people bring that game up.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee: @bradbrains: I don't want to be that guy who defends everything about old JRPG's, but getting lost on the world map in digital re-releases of FF6 isn't an inherent design flaw. The original cartridge came with a nicely labeled physical map of The World of Balance/The World of Ruin that enhanced my enjoyment of the game. It was nice to have that sprawled out in front of me, to pour over it whenever an NPC gave me a hot tip that a former party member was spotted in Mobliz. That interplay with a physical map made it that much more real in a kid's mind. I'll grant you that it's a little spoiler-y to see "The World of Ruin" as soon as you crack your SNES game box open...

Of course, when Square themselves are too oblivious to include that map in re-releases it gets confusing. I played the GBA version of FF6 a few months ago, and I had to pull that map out of Google image search often.

totally agree its part of the fun. it feels like an adventure but on the other side I can see how someone might get frustrated by it.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

Buying EIDOS was a pretty good move.

Those people probably already have the PSN or Steam port and went meh when this was announced. Did you hear the excitement when dude said "Seventeen years ago"? Everyone in that room was hype enough to buy a $60 release. When the trailer was shown they all came down to earth. They might buy this if it gets cheap enough, but if not they already have it elsewhere.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corevi: I doubt it's worth it from a business perspective. Square already has an "enhanced" PC port that they're sitting on, so it'd take minimal work to throw it on PSN and get some easy money in the process.

People love old Square titles and since they're currently unable to play it on their PS4s, they'll be happy to shell out $10 or so for some nostalgia and trophies.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While I am of the opinion that FFVII is a fantastic game and has aged quite nicely (Especially with the edit where you use the battle characters on the world map as well and not the old extremely blocky ones.) I am also of the opinion that the game should not be remade. And definitely not by the current Square Enix.

Let's not forget they created that whole thing around FFVII and most of it was utter dogshit and fan wankery. (Crisis Core being the only decent part although I never played the Japanese-only mobile game Before Crisis.)

Nostalgia is a dangerous beast and a lot of people would do well to keep it in check at all times.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#32 FinalDasa  Moderator

Out of touch if anything.

It makes sense as a business decision. You've already done the work to make a PC port then why not port it to PS4? It's cheaper for them and as long as it's not overly priced (which I have reservations) then it should be fine.

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Coafi

Here's the thing, it's fine if they want to port it to the PS4, but don't make an announcement like this with the president of the company announcing a port of a game that a lot of people have already played. The crowd cheered thinking they were getting something new, not a damn port. I think there were other ways to announce this, but not like this.

bargainben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want it remade so it becomes clear that game was just as bad as FF13 so fans can stop acting like SE changed. They changed at FF7, not after. That was the beginning of what they are now and possibly the nadir. Caith Sith is the Mr. Mime of the FF universe. That is, people bitch like "summons that turn into bikes and a chocobo living in an afro man oh man this series use to be good" and then you go "Caith Sith". Right. Its always been what it is. Please remake it, the remake will only make that clearer. The koolaid drinkers need their catharthis.

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A big Sony event like this isn't complete until an out of touch Square representative gets on stage and mumbles something disappointing in broken English.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bargainben: FF9 was fantastic. 12 was pretty good too except for the combat system.

bargainben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corevi said:

@bargainben: FF9 was fantastic. 12 was pretty good too except for the combat system.

12 was good because of the combat system. It also drove the main creative force behind it into hospitalization. 9 is not a spiritual followup to 5, its charming in a way and has a good aesthetic, but its still plagued with the bullshit FF7 started.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By pyrodactyl

People really need to get over the whole FF7 remastered thing. It's not going to happen. It would be a horrible idea. Do you realize how much work it would be rendrering that big ass world with modern graphics? Redoing all the cutscenes, all the animation, all the everything? Putting that work in just for the precious few hardcore fans willing to buy an old ass game they already played with its dated mechanics for $60.

No way they would make their money back. It's not going to happen, deal with it.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man never wanted that FFVII remake, where the hell is my FFVIII remake?

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guys, I wasn't built to handle everyone always shitting on one of my favorite games of all time. I WASN'T BUILT FOR IT!!

*cries in a corner*

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By fattony12000
    No Caption Provided

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I wouldn't say out of touch as much as I'd say tone deaf. They know people will keep paying for their old shit so they'll keep putting their old shit out every chance they keep. That said, I cannot fathom how anyone at Square Enix (and possibly Sony) didn't realize that the way this announcement was setup was incredibly misleading and going to result in nothing but disappointment for a large number of people.

I'm pretty much indifferent when it comes to a FF7 remake (I'd play it, but I can live without it), but this was on a whole 'nother level of dumb

koolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's hard to get upset about this. I mean, they've never ever ever said they are going to remake the game. In fact, they have said that they won't. Look, I love FF7 as much as the next guy, but remaking it is a terrible idea. Here are some reasons why.

1: The gameplay has not aged well. It was fine in the 90s, but I think that gameplay will have to be updated in order to work. Of course, if you change it, purists will hate it. But I think keeping it the same is a pretty bad move too. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. I fell in love with FF7 because it was like no game before. I cared about the characters more than any video game characters before. They felt more real. The world felt more real than any game before. There is nostalgia, but FF7 was the game for it's time. I just don't think it would work today.

2: I don't think you will never please everyone with the remake if you add voices and next gen animations and stuff. You know the uncanny valley? The more realistic you make a character, the more we notice its flaws. Well, the opposite is also true. With less realistic characters (such as sprites or super pixelated characters that do not have VO), our brains fill in the gaps and personally create half the character. When I watched Advent Children, the characters didn't sound right, they didn't act right. That's because they didn't act the way I imaged them too. It's kinda a magical effect we get with older games that we lose with AAA. Anyway, I don't think it would work.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
    ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People should stop freaking out about 7 and just play that remake of 4 they did for the DS. You know. An actual remake. Of a game that's actually good.

superjop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#45  Edited By superjop

Yeah, the way the announcement was set up was pretty stupid!

And watch them do it all again at E3 when they announce that the original FF7 is coming to Playstation NOW...

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean it's Square's MO. They will continue to whore out the FF games everyone loves. What I don't actually know is why this version is supposed to mean anything (coming from Square's perspective). Does it add anything from the PSN version already up? Otherwise I'll stick to my copy on Vita.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

It wouldn't sell if people didn't want to buy it. Perhaps revealing this at an event like this was overboard but whatever. Its not like they kicked you in the gut.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#48  Edited By veektarius

The PC translation of 7 is fine.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ShaggE

I just hope they follow this with a "Final Fantasy HD Collection" that contains FF 1-6.

"We are remastering Final Fantasy 1! We are remastering Final Fantasy 2! We are remastering Final Fantasy 3 through 6! And because you have been asking for it..."

*crowd hits fever pitch*

"We are remastering..."

*internet explodes*

"All of the above in one package!"

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.