Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy VII

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Jan 31, 1997

The seventh numbered entry in the Final Fantasy franchise brings the series into 3D with a landmark title that set new industry standards for cinematic storytelling. Mercenary Cloud Strife joins the rebel group AVALANCHE in their fight against the power-hungry Shinra Company, but their struggle soon becomes a race to save the entire Planet from an impending cataclysm.

ive decided im not enjoying this game

kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By kashif1

i grabbed the game from the psn store out of interest a few months back, i enjoyed the first few hours of it but then i got to the temple of the ancients, im now stuck on the gate keeper and im not gonna grind for it. Im now watching the game on youtube and have realized that im 20 levels bellow where i should be.  WHy did the game let me get to the temple and up to the boss while that badly under leveled, with nowhere to grind?  Long rant short: the game isn't fun at this point, im not gonna spend a day grinding, and it isn't the best game ever, not even close.

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By TheMustacheHero

Yeah it's no good. Way over rated.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By Karmum
    @kashif1 said:

" i grabbed the game from the psn store out of interest a few months back, i enjoyed the first few hours of it but then i got to the temple of the ancients, im now stuck on the gate keeper and im not gonna grind for it. Im now watching the game on youtube and have realized that im 20 levels bellow where i should be.  WHy did the game let me get to the temple and up to the boss while that badly under leveled, with nowhere to grind?  Long rant short: the game isn't fun at this point, im not gonna spend a day grinding, and it isn't the best game ever, not even close. "

Not every game holds up well over ten years after their original release.
    Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By Captain_Insano

That happened to me when I originally played it, I got to the temple of the ancients way under levelled. Fortunately I had an earlier save that I was able to revert to. I don't know if I'd call it the 'best game ever' but it still is a great game. And you have to remember that its now like 11 years old so of course some issues are going to seem annoying now. FMV sequences = the best I had ever seen at that point in gaming history

kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By kashif1
    @Karmum said:
    " @kashif1 said:

" i grabbed the game from the psn store out of interest a few months back, i enjoyed the first few hours of it but then i got to the temple of the ancients, im now stuck on the gate keeper and im not gonna grind for it. Im now watching the game on youtube and have realized that im 20 levels bellow where i should be.  WHy did the game let me get to the temple and up to the boss while that badly under leveled, with nowhere to grind?  Long rant short: the game isn't fun at this point, im not gonna spend a day grinding, and it isn't the best game ever, not even close. "

Not every game holds up well over ten years after their original release. "
    its not that, the game had held up alright to me until that point, in fact i stopped playing golden sun for the same reason, i hate having to grind in order to get to a good story
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#6  Edited By AgentJ
    @Karmum said:
    " @kashif1 said:

I don't think that his complaints even have much to do with how the game has aged. This is either a matter of his taste or a matter of straight-up bad game design. Either he isn't the type of guy that enjoys grinding, or the game was not designed all that well. 
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By AgentJ
    @kashif1: WHHHHAAAAAAAAA? YOU DIDN'T LIKE GOLDEN SUN? 

You just earned a spot on my "Enemies" list. 
    Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By Karmum
    @kashif1 said:
    " @Karmum said:
    " @kashif1 said:

its not that, the game had held up alright to me until that point, in fact i stopped playing golden sun for the same reason, i hate having to grind in order to get to a good story "
    Perhaps it isn't your type of game then. If you think you have to grind to enjoy the story, you might need to look somewhere else for enjoyment.
    breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By breadfan

I thought Final Fantasy VIII was better, but that's just me.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By eroticfishcake
    @Captain_Insano said:
    "FMV sequences = the best I had ever seen at that point in gaming history "
    I remember seeing those when I was younger and thought to myself  "Wow! Graphics can't get any better than this!". Yeah, I was young and foolish.

It was a great game alright but it did have a lot of flaws, and with today standards it's just horrible. I loved it but no way in hell am I going to play the whole damn thing again for the third time. Well, maybe but unlikely.
    kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By kashif1
    @AgentJ: 2 things, i started of with the second one and got to the bit where i got the boat.  after that i got into some temple where every encounter was a fight for survival.  Second i didn't say i dislike the game, i saw a really good game under there.  Im just not the type of person to enjoy killing kobalts for hours.

@Karmum: if i need to grind to continue a story then obviously need to grind to enjoy it.

In other words unless the game is set up around the idea of grinding (such as pokemon) i hate doing it
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By AgentJ
    @kashif1: You earned a spot on my Enemies list. You can't un-earn it, except by finishing Golden Sun 

: P
    Nock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Nock

The real question is  who really cares. That game it old, and when it first came out it was like nothing that has ever come before. So unless you were there when that game was the shit your prolly not going to be into it. Mario 64 believed to be better then Mario Sun Shine, well if you'd never played 64 and played sun shine first you'd prolly think 64 was shit if you tried to go back and play 64. So if you're play FF7 for the first time on the PS3 you missed the boat that game will never be great to you so stop bitching about it. You not liking doesn't stop anyone that does like from doing so.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Dan_CiTi

It's still one of the most important games ever made. Before it came out, pretty much every RPG wanted to be Dragon Quest and after it they well...wanted to be FF7. Although there are many things I don't like about it any more I would want to be be remade, I can still appreciate it.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By EvilTwin

The only time I ever remember having to grind in either Golden Sun was for the last boss, and even then, it felt optional.  It was just way more difficult (and epic) if you were a little underleveled.  Or maybe if you wanted to get the last couple of summons in the second game, but that's just the extra stuff.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By AgentJ
    @EvilTwin said:
    " The only time I ever remember having to grind in either Golden Sun was for the last boss, and even then, it felt optional.  It was just way more difficult (and epic) if you were a little underleveled.  Or maybe if you wanted to get the last couple of summons in the second game, but that's just the extra stuff. "
    I agree entirely, but different people play RPGs differently, which makes enemies in different areas harder for some gamers than for others. 
    kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By kashif1

this rant says it better than i do

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By EvilTwin
    @kashif1:  That sounds like a very ignorant rant to me.  In the first three minutes its full of blanket statements and crazy generalizations.
    FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By FiestaUnicorn
    @kashif1 said:
    "  this rant says it better than i do
    "

That guy has always acted like he knows way more than he does.  As for, FF7, the reason why it's hard to play now is that it doesn't hold up.  Great games do and FF7 is simply not a great game.  Not even close.
    Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 15

#20  Edited By Griddler

Nah I played it on PS1 and didnt like it.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By PureRok

You got a JRPG and didn't expect to have to grind at some point? That's... naive.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By Gabriel

Yeah when i got to that part I got stuck, I think I eventually beat him but after that I got stuck again when you fight the giant robot before you get on the submarine. I started over and proceeded to grind.
    flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#23  Edited By flaminghobo

Never really seen what all the fuss is about J RPGs, they're just not my gaming cup of tea.

bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24  Edited By bonbolapti

I play JRPGs for the simple fact that I play for the grinding just because it gives me something to do.  
    Famov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Famov

To be fair, most other 'games' with FMV at that point were far worse than FF7. I've never actually played the game, having never owned a PSX, but I think that going in with really high expectations will do you no favors.  

I think think that the Playstation/N64/Saturn era of gaming has held up far worse than the two eras before it. Those systems could have handled fantastic 2D work and they instead opted for blocky 3D. There should have opted for a healthier mix of the two.
    Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Illmatic

Same reason why I stopped playing FFXII and probably why I'll pass on XIII. Grinding is and will always be in my mind, complete and utter bullshit.

m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By m1k3

If your comparing it to todays RPGs, then yea there are many flaws. But back during release, it did things very well. Im not saying it did things that other RPGs didn't do back then, but it did them well. plus back then Final Fantasy was the biggest JRPG series, since all the console were region locked and video games weren't covered as much as they are now.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#28  Edited By ArbitraryWater

As far as beloved classics from the 32/64 bit era go, you can't get much worse than FFVII in the "Holds up by modern standards" department. That doesn't mean it's a bad game, but it hasn't aged very well at all.

Oh, and if you can't tolerate grinding, don't play J-RPGs.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#29  Edited By Soap

Your all wrong, FFVII is incredible.

Duecenage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#30  Edited By Duecenage

What you gotta do with the gate keeper, and if you are on a lower level is this;

Have Barret, Yuffie or Vincent. Whichever is highest level.  Get them in the back row.
    Slap Long Range materia onto Cloud. Drop him to the back row.
    Throw Aeris into the Back row cause she can't hit for shit anyhow. And have her heal.

Back Row + Gatekeeper = Half Damage, from his crippling blows.

Have at him!!

Ps. If you do need to gain some levels, get knocked off the clock and into the pit.. i think those dragons down there are good for EXP, plus you get Nail Bat, which give Cloud WAY more damage!

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By PureRok

Honestly, I found this game to be piss easy. I got it on PSN for my PSP and I didn't die once until I got to the crater (at the end of the game). I got wiped by a lucky instant team-death spell.

I only ever grinded once (third disc), and it's not even required where I'm at. Of course, I haven't beat the game yet, either. Mainly because I got bored of it.

hexagonLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By hexagonLife
    @Soap said:
    " Your all wrong, FFVII is incredible. "
    Agreed 100%.  I have to admit I don't play as many games as I'd like, and it could be the nostalgia factor, but 7 for me is the first RPG I'd recommend to someone who doesn't game.  It is a fair point that the game hasn't aged well, but I adore the game as much for the heart that was put into developing it with the limited capabilities of the Playstation.  There were PSOne games out there with more impressive graphics and soundtracks than FFVII, but I'd be surprised if any of them matched the scale of it (Bar VIII or IX).  I don't mind the grinding, and compared to other games (like Dragon Quest VIII) the curve was nothing.  I remember levelling up my party 10 levels in 3 or 4 hours back in the day.  And making a shitload of gil!
    dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By dbz1995
    @AgentJ said:
    " @kashif1: WHHHHAAAAAAAAA? YOU DIDN'T LIKE GOLDEN SUN?  You just earned a spot on my "Enemies" list.  "
    OMG NOW THE GOLDEN SUN GOD WILL SMITE HIM. :D
    mementomori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By mementomori
    @Br3adfan said:
    " I thought Final Fantasy VIII was better, but that's just me. "
    DRAW 

DRAW

DRAW

DRAW

etc
    neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By neoepoch

I like Paul Barnett's reasoning. If you start playing older games then you can have an appreciation for older games. You just want to play games. But if you start off on newer games, it becomes harder for you to go back and play old games. I started in the late NES and SNES era, and I can go back to almost any game from between there and now and find some kind of enjoyment. However, most kids who start playing now can't go back to games like Doom or Final Fantasy 6. They are too weened on high res graphics and easy gameplay. And for some people (i.e. Brad) who constantly say that you can't go back to those older games,  they just either don't have the time to go back or are just unable to accept that it is okay to play older games. The mechanics were like that at the time and if you can look past that you'll still find enjoyment in the game.

Rio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#36  Edited By Rio

Just did another playthrough of ff7, man I never get tired of that game.  It really is a great game to accomplish all of the extra content and beat the Weapons.  Whenever we hit a drought in game releases this is always a game I am willing to come back to.

As for those who didnt enjoy it, everyone enjoys their own style / story elements in gaming so its completely understandable.   I myself dont believe this game is anywhere near overrated and I feel it is just as easy to play today as it was when I got it in '97.  FF7 remains as one of my all time favorite titles.  

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#37  Edited By luce

the story isn't even that good to warrant the grinding IMO so yeah it's ok to give up on this game

i beat it and thought it was an ok JRPG but there are things that an older game like Chrono Trigger did better than FF7 and i don't really like Chrono Trigger either

but i don't know..i guess it's all about taste

ReaperOfLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#38  Edited By ReaperOfLiving

Get FF8 it is ALOT better in all categories.  And the plot isn't random and makes sense. :D

quezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By quezen
    @ReaperOfLiving said:

" Get FF8 it is ALOT better in all categories.  And the plot isn't random and makes sense. :D "

no its not, FF8 has a scaled level system, which mean you "CAN't" powerlevel at all. and the plot fall apart towards the end in ff8... 
    GF abuse, and Draw system is also way worse then what FF7 had.
    but ff8 is a great game.
    HypoXenophobia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By HypoXenophobia

I feel odd reading some of these things. Growing up playing PC games, when I did play FFVII, I wasn't really 'impressed' per se. Like I felt the visuals were kinda corny, which was my barrier to entry. I always felt a slight awkward when someone walked in the room and that was on in the background. But what hooked me into the game, was the whole materia system. Which is why I don't really get why you need to grind. I went through the whole game without grinding, equally I got lost quite a bit which would allude to where I probably made up some of the additional levels. But if I remember correctly, weren't there double exp materias? From memory, I spent most of my time on the menu just changing load outs.  Saying this, I never got Knights of the Round, or the 4 bosses at the end game.  
    IcySandman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By IcySandman

That always happens to me when I play FF games.  I get far ahead but don't level enough..

Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Feanor

If you need to grind to kill the gate keeper then you should quit, because you are terrible at the game.

It's really not hard to cast barrier on yourself.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#43  Edited By Undeadpool
    @wordsgohere:
    Good move.
    nukesniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#44  Edited By nukesniper
    @kashif1 said:
    FFVII did NOT age well... You got farther than I did though.
    AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By AuthenticM

Play Final Fantasy VIII instead. It's better and stood the test of time, unlike its former counterpart.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ryanwho

Any game that becomes famous for its "visual flare" is destined for mediocrity in the eyes of time. 7 doesn't hold up for the same reason Independence Day, the movie, doesn't. The shit that is supposed to impress you doesn't and when you take that away what you're left with is kind of a joke.
    When you do this to 8, you also have a shell of a game really, but you can play Triple Triad so it doesn't much matter.

r0k1ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By r0k1ll
    @Famov said:
    " To be fair, most other 'games' with FMV at that point were far worse than FF7. I've never actually played the game, having never owned a PSX, but I think that going in with really high expectations will do you no favors.   I think think that the Playstation/N64/Saturn era of gaming has held up far worse than the two eras before it. Those systems could have handled fantastic 2D work and they instead opted for blocky 3D. There should have opted for a healthier mix of the two. "

There were some games in that era that were 2d, notablty SOTN. Now, unless it's a downloadable game of a fighting game, it has to be 3d. I wish it wasn't like that.
    Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Gabriel

FF8 feels a lot slower than 7 combat and story wise, but maybe thats just me

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#49  Edited By Meowayne

Ha ha, the ancient temple gatekeeper. Yeah. That's what taught me not to expect JRPGs to take me by the hand as well.

You didn't train your party well. Your fault, and your loss. :D

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.