Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy VII

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Jan 31, 1997

The seventh numbered entry in the Final Fantasy franchise brings the series into 3D with a landmark title that set new industry standards for cinematic storytelling. Mercenary Cloud Strife joins the rebel group AVALANCHE in their fight against the power-hungry Shinra Company, but their struggle soon becomes a race to save the entire Planet from an impending cataclysm.

I've just had the coolest idea for a FFVII remake!

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By AuthenticM

Quick Time Events as featured in God of War, Heavenly Sword and Resident Evil 4. SE could literally replicate the kick-ass action sequences of Advent Children by including gameplay segments in which the player must press buttons as they appear on the screen. It's easy to imagine how chockfull of eyecandy these "dynamic cutscenes" could be. Cloud fighting Reno and Rude? With Sephiroth? A WEAPON (now THAT would be fucking crazy)? What do you think? Discuss.

Avatar image for luckywanderdude
    LuckyWanderDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By LuckyWanderDude

Cutscenes==Anti-Videogames
    Tricked-Out Interactive Cutscenes==Brain Dead

BionicIguana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By BionicIguana

Not really what I'm looking for when I play an FF game, like to be able to take my time, get a drink or roll up for whatever without having to worry about missing something

Tolkienfanatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Tolkienfanatic

I guess it could be cool... I don't find it necessary to have quick time events in my RPGs.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By brukaoru

If the remake is going to go away from the turn-based strategy element, much like Crisis Core, then I can maybe see where you are going with quick-time events, I personally think that Square-Enix would probably overdue the addition of quick-time events and it would become very repetitive. I think I would prefer not to see them in a Final Fantasy game.

elbow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By elbow

Just let the game die already.

Vyse_Legends

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Vyse_Legends

I don't think that would really work.  I mean even with blood and the blue merchant I'd still prefer just a remake of the original game.:?

LuckyWanderDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By LuckyWanderDude
    elbow said:
    "Just let the game die already."
    Agreed!
    AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AuthenticM

Guys, I'm not saying the game should be in real-time or anything. They don't have to ditch the turn-based gameplay. I'm just saying they could include some of these moments here and there throughout the game just for the cool-factor. I don't see why some of you disagree with this.

LuckyWanderDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By LuckyWanderDude
    AuthenticM said:
    "Guys, I'm not saying the game should be in real-time or anything. They don't have to ditch the turn-based gameplay. I'm just saying they could include some of these moments here and there throughout the game just for the cool-factor. I don't see why some of you disagree with this.
    "
    I'd prefer the whole game be real-time. Quick-time events however are stupid. If you're going to force me to sit through an awful cutscene at least don't make me work through it.
    AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By AuthenticM
    LuckyWanderDude said:
    "AuthenticM said:
    "Guys, I'm not saying the game should be in real-time or anything. They don't have to ditch the turn-based gameplay. I'm just saying they could include some of these moments here and there throughout the game just for the cool-factor. I don't see why some of you disagree with this.
    "
    I'd prefer the whole game be real-time. Quick-time events however are stupid. If you're going to force me to sit through an awful cutscene at least don't make me work through it.
    "
    Hmm, that means you shouldn't play God of War or Heavenly Sword, they have plenty of them. The upcoming Resident Evil 5 is also said to full of these. Oh well, I think it would be cool.
    Wallzii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Wallzii

Not a big fan of this suggestion at all. For this to work, they would have to butcher critical parts of the game, as certain results that were fixed would have the option of being changed. FF7 should stay as it is, and never be remade. However, Square will more than likely create a remake if their coffers ever start to drastically empty.

Avatar image for deactivated-63aed1f3cc082
    deactivated-63aed1f3cc082

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not sure if it'd mix well with FF7, but it'd be definitely something to entertain in a Square-style RPG.  I enjoyed God of War and thought it added a lot to the game.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AuthenticM

I thought of this after remembering the Bahamut fight in Advent Children. I thought it would be cool there was a fight like this in the game and the player would have control over it, just like the boss fights in God of War. In any case, they BETTER include my idea in Versus XIII.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By LiquidPrince

Action games all tend to use quick time events nowadays.

s10129107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By s10129107

quick time events are punishment for slouching on the couch.  Dont turn kick ass fighting games into guitar hero, please.  There is no way to maintain ff7 legacy AND remake it.  You'd have to overhaul the characters, the fighting system, the item system etc..  At least half the audience will be fuming mad.

Jonathan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jonathan
    LuckyWanderDude said:
    "Cutscenes==Anti-Videogames
    Tricked-Out Interactive Cutscenes==Brain Dead
    "
    Although I disagree with you, I do consider Half-Life 2 to be the greatest game of all time. And that's how story should be handled in an FPS game.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By LiquidPrince
    s10129107 said:
    "quick time events are punishment for slouching on the couch.  Dont turn kick ass fighting games into guitar hero, please.  There is no way to maintain ff7 legacy AND remake it.  You'd have to overhaul the characters, the fighting system, the item system etc..  At least half the audience will be fuming mad.
    "
    True.
    Avatar image for deactivated-612140337177a
    deactivated-612140337177a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

brukaoru said:
    "If the remake is going to go away from the turn-based strategy element, much like Crisis Core, then I can maybe see where you are going with quick-time events, I personally think that Square-Enix would probably overdue the addition of quick-time events and it would become very repetitive. I think I would prefer not to see them in a Final Fantasy game.
    "
    Exactly, I loved the system in Crisis Core, thought it worked wonderfully to both give you action packed battles as well as keep is strategic and feeling like Final Fantasy.

Second, regarding a comment about a remake pissing off atleast 1/2 it's fanbase, there's really no way around that. People have their fond memories of the game and reshowing them that will never give them that feeling so it's never going to connect like it did in the past.

I personally would love a remake and belive that the batteling would have to change but as for story, characters, the materia system and most aspects of the game.... they could remain untouched for the most part.
    Wolswor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Wolswor

No sorry, it would be a terrible idea, imagine; you are fighting in turn-based game play when all of a sudden Cloud starts running up the monsters arm and stabs it multiple times in the head before flipping off!....then goes right back to turn-based game-play.  It would make FF unplayable.

Avatar image for deactivated-612140337177a
    deactivated-612140337177a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolswor said:
    "No sorry, it would be a terrible idea, imagine; you are fighting in turn-based game play when all of a sudden Cloud starts running up the monsters arm and stabs it multiple times in the head before flipping off!....then goes right back to turn-based game-play.  It would make FF unplayable.
    "
    We'll see how Square does FFXIII - it' suppose to be a lot more action based. Also, have you played crisis core? It's system works really well and it includes both action and semi-turn based strategy.
    AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By AuthenticM
    Wolswor said:
    "No sorry, it would be a terrible idea, imagine; you are fighting in turn-based game play when all of a sudden Cloud starts running up the monsters arm and stabs it multiple times in the head before flipping off!....then goes right back to turn-based game-play.  It would make FF unplayable.
    "
    No, you don't understand. I wasn't saying they should implement the thing inside battles; but outside. Think of the Krauser fight in Resident Evil 4; that's what I'm talking about. Nothing else. They don't need to mess with the turn-based battles.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By LiquidPrince
    Wolswor said:
    "
    No, they should, revamp the fighting.
    Avatar image for deactivated-57c23600813c8
    deactivated-57c23600813c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

LiquidPrince makes a good point in that the Final Fantasy Family has become somewhat outdated and seems much more epic when we look at in retrospect. Even Square Enix realizes that they must revitalize the franchise.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By atejas

non-turn-based gameplay=/=final fantasy(except for versus)
    just make good cutscenes and live with it

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By LiquidPrince
    Raspinudo said:
    "LiquidPrince makes a good point in that the Final Fantasy Family has become somewhat outdated and seems much more epic when we look at in retrospect. Even Square Enix realizes that they must revitalize the franchise.
    "
    Which is why they seem to now make all there games action RPG's with real time fighting rather then turn based fighting.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.