Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy VII

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Jan 31, 1997

The seventh numbered entry in the Final Fantasy franchise brings the series into 3D with a landmark title that set new industry standards for cinematic storytelling. Mercenary Cloud Strife joins the rebel group AVALANCHE in their fight against the power-hungry Shinra Company, but their struggle soon becomes a race to save the entire Planet from an impending cataclysm.

Loved FF7 as a kid, on to 8 or 9 now?

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: -2

#1  Edited By MightyDuck

Hey guys,

I noticed that both VIII and IX are both on the psn.  Anyway, growing up, I loved VII but never really got around to playing another FF until X, and XIII.

I've been thinking of picking up either VIII or IX, but wasn't sure what would better suit my taste.  I've heard that VIII has a very complex battle system, etc.  That had me leaning towards IX.

Any thoughts?  Thanks!

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By vidiot

Good games are still good games. 
    Your question is confusing though because you point out VIII and IX in your initial statement, then, I assume, refer to VIII as VII.

Like every Final Fantasy, there is a different system for character development. VIII has the infamous Junction System, and contrary to popular belief It's not complicated: It's just not user friendly.
    To be fair though, if you were able to wrap your head around the Materia System in VII, then you should have little problems with the Junction System. If you don't mind grinding for a few hours, you can exploit the system and hit upwards to over 7,000 HP before the end of Disk 1 if I remember correctly. Find a guide and you won't have to bother summoning those annoying Summons into battle, which I think many people don't realize. 

IX on the other hand has a system that is more straight-forward/traditional and associates abilities to equipped items. This system would later be utilized in Lost Odyssey and really requires no real investment in thinking.

Bottom line: They're both good games, and I think there are many qualities that have aged better than Final Fantasy VII. IX overall is a superior game, but you shouldn't be immediate to write off VIII either.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MightyDuck
    @vidiot said:

" Good games are still good games. 
    Your question is confusing though because you point out VIII and IX in your initial statement, then, I assume, refer to VIII as VII.

Like every Final Fantasy, VIII has the infamous Junction System regarding character development. It's not complicated: It's just not user friendly.
    To be fair though, if you were able to wrap your head around the Materia System in VII, then you should have little problems with the Junction System. If you don't mind grinding for a few hours, you can exploit the system and hit upwards to over 7,000 HP before the end of Disk 1 if I remember correctly. Find a guide and you won't have to bother summoning those annoying Summons into battle, which I think many people don't realize.   IX on the other hand has a system that is more straight-forward/traditional and associates abilities to equipped items. This system would later be utilized in Lost Odyssey and really requires no real investment in thinking.  Bottom line: They're both good games, and I think there are many qualities that have aged better than Final Fantasy VII. IX overall is a superior game, but you shouldn't be immediate to write off VIII either. "

You're right.  Sorry about the confusion.  Being tired and typing Roman Numerals isn't working for me tonight!  

You're right about the materia system.  It wasn't that bad.  Hmm, alright, from the sounds of it, you really can't go wrong with either game then.
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By vidiot
    @GetWhatYagive said:

" @vidiot said:

" Good games are still good games. 

Like every Final Fantasy, VIII has the infamous Junction System regarding character development. It's not complicated: It's just not user friendly.
    To be fair though, if you were able to wrap your head around the Materia System in VII, then you should have little problems with the Junction System. If you don't mind grinding for a few hours, you can exploit the system and hit upwards to over 7,000 HP before the end of Disk 1 if I remember correctly. Find a guide and you won't have to bother summoning those annoying Summons into battle, which I think many people don't realize.   IX on the other hand has a system that is more straight-forward/traditional and associates abilities to equipped items. This system would later be utilized in Lost Odyssey and really requires no real investment in thinking.  Bottom line: They're both good games, and I think there are many qualities that have aged better than Final Fantasy VII. IX overall is a superior game, but you shouldn't be immediate to write off VIII either. "
     You're right.  Sorry about the confusion.  Being tired and typing Roman Numerals isn't working for me tonight!  Sorry for the confusion. "
    No problem. Happens to everyone.
    EmuLeader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By EmuLeader

I have never played FFVIII, but hearing from friends' opinion, it wasn't nearly as good as others.  FFIX on the other hand is one of my favorite games from back in the day.  Thought it had a good story (strange ending) and was fun gameplay wise.  This may not tell you alot of the actual content in either, but that is my opinion if thats what you are looking for.

Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Cornman89

VIII's Junction system, admittedly, is not the best character development apparatus ever made, but people do make it out to be far worse than it really is. With the game's (unskippable) tutorials, you should have little problem getting the hang of it. That said, IX is considerably more straightforward, so if you're looking for something less obtuse, then go for that.

Avatar image for griefersstolemykeyboard
    griefersstolemykeyboard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

8 is incredibly stupid in pretty much every aspect, skip it and play 9 you won't regret it.

Wallzii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Wallzii

Yes, if you enjoyed FF7, you should definitely check out both the 8th and 9th installments of the series.

Personally, FF8 was my favourite title in the franchise, rivaled only by Tactics. The story is engaging, the characters are strong (some regard Squall as being weak, but I find he fits the tone of the game and its message), and the gameplay is very enjoyable. The draw system can get a bit long in the tooth, however, it isn't a necessity to be a completionist and grind in this game to get through the story. Being a completionist myself, I of course happily volunteered to spend countless hours playing with the junction system and utilizing it to its fullest. Again, this option is there, but not necessary.

FF9 was also a great game on all levels, although I felt it wasn't in the same tier as 8, however, I hold 8 very highly. Besides, who doesn't want to play a game with Vivi in it?

Honestly, though, I could rant endlessly about both of these games, so I'll just leave it at this: If you enjoyed the mid-series of Final Fantasy (as you damn well should, because it is some of the finer works), then definitely get both of these games, and while you're at it, Tactics as well.

Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Cornman89
    @ZodiacVII said:
    "Besides, who doesn't want to play a game with Vivi in it?"
    Gold star.
    Genjai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Genjai

Try FFVIII, and when you get too frustrated or confused, move on to FFIX. ...that's basically what I did 11 years ago.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#11  Edited By wefwefasdf

I absolutely love FF IX. Gah, I don't even know why I love it so much.

yoctoyotta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By yoctoyotta

IX is a beautiful, traditional FF game, and Vivi's story is one of the most touching of any FF. I was turned off by VIII's Draw mechanic, but the story is pretty cool. Like most people are saying, they're both worth giving a whirl, but I'll give you the lean towards iX.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Animasta

also FF7 was worse than you remember

just throwin that out there

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MightyDuck

Thanks for all the input guys.  I appreciate it.  I think I'll start with Final Fantasy IX then and work my way to 8 after wards.

thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By thehexeditor

If you play FFVIII with the "Squall is dead" theory on the brain, the story becomes infinitely more interesting in my opinion.

edit: removed link, forgot about spoilers :x

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

8 is more confusing in terms of story and gameplay. 

9 is like the older Final Fantasy games.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By Gabriel
    @griefersstolemykeyboard said:
    " 8 is incredibly stupid in pretty much every aspect, skip it and play 9 you won't regret it. "
    CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By CharleyTony

I had a great time playing ff8 and ff9. IMO you wont regret them. It is silly to try to say which one is better. The fact is that the FF series in the SNES and PSX eras were all great. 

If you have an Xbox 360, get Lost Odyssey. It is the closest thing to a traditionnal FF game you can find on any platform (except PSN and DS)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.