Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy VII

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Jan 31, 1997

The seventh numbered entry in the Final Fantasy franchise brings the series into 3D with a landmark title that set new industry standards for cinematic storytelling. Mercenary Cloud Strife joins the rebel group AVALANCHE in their fight against the power-hungry Shinra Company, but their struggle soon becomes a race to save the entire Planet from an impending cataclysm.

Square Enix: We're Not Remaking FF7, Play It On PSN

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#1  Edited By ZombiePie  Staff

Source:  VG247

When the Playstation was first introduced to video game consumers one of the first things shown to showcase the power of the console was an HD remake of the beginning sequence of Final Fantasy 7. To many nostalgic gamers it appeared as if Square was re-making the much beloved entry to the popular JRPG franchise. However as time passed by since that cinematic was first shown the odds of such a remake happening dwindled. Now Final Fantasy XIII's Motomu Toriyama and Yoshinori Kitase have closed the books on such a remake:

There's no official project that's up and running for a remake of Final Fantasy VII at this point. Both Toriyama-san and Kitase-san were involved in the development of the game, however, and it holds a special place in their hearts. They do talk about it on a personal level, like, 'If we did it it would be like this or like that.'

So, they do talk about it, but there's no official project yet.

Then the two point out that the game was re-released on the PSN not too long ago, so fans could get their angsty pseudo-cyberpunk fix that way instead. At this point, honestly, I just kind of want Square to remake Final Fantasy VII to make the fans stop asking about a remake of Final Fantasy VII already. I guess some things never die, no matter how much they ought to.
    Singeslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Singeslayer

Agreed.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By toowalrus

Too Walrus: Fuck FFVII in it's current state. That game has aged terribly, and is unplayable to newcomers.

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#4  Edited By Dolphin_Butter

Final Fantasy VII was great and we should just let it stay that way.

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By jeffgoldblum

Remaking Final Fantasy 7 would be a license to print money.
    Square Enix is out of their damn minds.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By ryanwho
    @JeffGoldblum said:
    " Remaking Final Fantasy 7 would be a license to print money. Square Enix is out of their damn minds. "
    Scept they went ahead and didn't remake it, and just put it on PSN, and you bought it anyway. Why would they remake a game when silly people are still willing to buy the original?
    jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jeffgoldblum
    @ryanwho said:
    " @JeffGoldblum said:
    " Remaking Final Fantasy 7 would be a license to print money. Square Enix is out of their damn minds. "
    Scept they went ahead and didn't remake it, and just put it on PSN, and you bought it anyway. Why would they remake a game when silly people are still willing to buy the original? "
    All of the people who bought the original on PSN would buy a remake.
    Also, I didnt buy the PSN version.
    TiggNine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By TiggNine

FF7 has aged very bad, not so much as to say "not playable to newcomers".  Its 12 years old and thats how the genre as a whole was changing into what it is today.  

I will say that i havn't enjoyed a New FF game since 7....

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'd like to see a remake with a graphical over haul and some gameplay tweeks but nothing major, but I doubt it will happen anytime soon.

ryoma122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ryoma122

well one thing i need to get off my chest  
    at the start of the origanal avalanch all jumped off  
    the train but in the remake only cloud gets off and im  
    not cool
    ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#11  Edited By ZombiePie  Staff
    @JeffGoldblum: But you haven't addressed the fact that doing a re-make would require a lot of Square Enix's resources, development time and that most of those that were involved in the development of Final Fantasy 7 have either left Square or moved on and want to do other things and not get tied to one entry in a wonderfully vast franchise. It's time to just let go and disregard the fact that a re-make would make an insane amount of moeny, it's just time to move on man...
    Avatar image for auspiciousqueue
    auspiciousqueue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By auspiciousqueue

I'm still upset that they keep remaking everything, instead of making more new games. They do put out new stuff, but just peddle out a little bit at a time with a massive amount of remakes. Then again, it is Square-Enix (and I am a huge fan) but they are getting that reputation. If they remade FFVII (ugh..) then there would be a massive amount of people that would never be satisfied and they would want it remade the another generation device. Why can't they remake Seiken Densetsu 4! 

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By vidiot
    Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By Brendan

I have accepted the current situation and moved on.  FF7 will always hold a special place in my heart (only game I've ever stat maxed in).
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#15  Edited By Hailinel

You all remember how many times FFIV was rereleased before we finally got a remake of that, right?  I wouldn't have expected Square Enix to state anything different from this.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By PureRok
    @ZombiePie: Ah well, it doesn't say "We won't make a remake." or "We don't have plans." it just says they aren't officially working on it.

There are some telling key words in the first sentence. This may just be from translating it from Japanese (I'm assuming they said it originally in Japanese. >.>), but look at the first sentence again.

There's no official project that's up and running for a remake of Final Fantasy VII at this point.

Those words lead me to believe that they may be planning on/thinking about remaking it, or it's just carefully chosen words so they don't come out as liars when/if they remake it. Although, I don't honestly care all that much. Final Fantasy VI was a much better game.

ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ViciousReiven

I've heard on quite a few occasions that they were interested in a remake but didn't have the time or resources, due to all the other projects they are constantly working on.

That being said I'd rather just play the original again and just anticipate the new games, after seeing how fun FFXIII is I can't wait to see what they could do if they stuck just a little more to tradition.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.