Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy VII

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Jan 31, 1997

The seventh numbered entry in the Final Fantasy franchise brings the series into 3D with a landmark title that set new industry standards for cinematic storytelling. Mercenary Cloud Strife joins the rebel group AVALANCHE in their fight against the power-hungry Shinra Company, but their struggle soon becomes a race to save the entire Planet from an impending cataclysm.

The heck I just saw?

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

Edited By Willy105
     VII means 7.
     VII means 7.
    So I finally finished Final Fantasy VII

Hurray!

Took me a lot of frustration, grinding, confusion, and fun. But I still have no idea what happened. What did I just see? The ending made no sense to me, and what's worse, I was incapable of creating my own substitute logic because there didn't seem to be one!

I think I was supposed to stop the meteor, but I was hunting Sephiroph. I killed Sephiroph, who looked nothing like him, but how did I stop the meteor. It was all a confusing array of lights and early 90's CGI. Then it showed Midgar getting destroyed, and they said all the inhabitants were evacuated, but then they said they all died, then they fast forwarded to 500 years into the future without no explanation or motive to show what I believe is Larry (what I named Red XIII) and two cubs running to see Midgar in ruins. 

So what happened to the characters? How did they stop meteor? Was it Aeris? But she was dead. And why is she controlling the Earth? Or is that the Earth controlling itself? But then why is Aeris shown? It was a replica of the opening, but it didn't explain it, it just did the Deja Vu thing. This is the first Final Fantasy I got to the end. Are all the others like this?

I was hoping someone here could attempt to explain it better than the game.
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Willy105
     VII means 7.
     VII means 7.
    So I finally finished Final Fantasy VII

Hurray!

Took me a lot of frustration, grinding, confusion, and fun. But I still have no idea what happened. What did I just see? The ending made no sense to me, and what's worse, I was incapable of creating my own substitute logic because there didn't seem to be one!

I was hoping someone here could attempt to explain it better than the game.
    CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By CaptainCody

It was the lifestream.
    Darkstar614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Darkstar614

Man this is going to sound ridiculously fanboyish/nerdy... But 

Sephiroth(in northern crater) was holding back the lifestream energy that Aerith summoned with the White Materia (the spell Holy) which was the only thing that could stop Meteor. The ending sequence shows the Holy spell not happening and total despair, until it finally surfaces just in time. But not before Midgar gets messed up pretty badly and eventually overgrows with Vegetation 500 years later.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Al3xand3r

Well, Sephiroth dies for good and doesn't become a God as he intended (by absorbing the lifestream that would gather and form to close the planet's wound from the Meteor's strike), Meteor is stopped by Holy (which appears to allow it to reach Midgar, or perhaps unable to hold it back) and the lifestream's power (which then stops it from annihilating Midgar), Midgar the city is destroyed but humans presumably survive as Cait Sith had taken them to the slums below (and the city while destroyed doesn't appear to be completely obliterated with its tall towers still standing), and the only real significance of seeing it 500 years later is that what once was a wound of the planet (with the reactors sucking up lifestream and the only flowers growing in Aeris' garden and nowhere else) is now an explosion of life, filled with plants and flowers. Something like that.

Try FF IX next, it's less emo, more charming, more fantasy than sci fi, more SNES style (but with some real nice visuals). Then try FF Tactics for a different type of game, one of my favorite Strategy RPGs and game stories (despite sloppy translation, supposedly fixed on PSP's War of the Lions).

AURON570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By AURON570

Sephiroth was researching to summon meteor. The Ancients professed the coming of meteor which would destroy the world. Sephiroth was in the process of summoning meteor. Sephiroth was also holding the planet's lifestream (the green stuff) back, to prevent it from healing the planet, basically giving meteor a free shot at the planet.  Lifestream, as explained by Bugenhagen, is the life of the planet. When any living thing dies it returns to lifestream, then can be reborn elsewhere as something else, keeping the entire planet's ecosystem in tact. 'Mako' is lifestream turned into energy, which is basically like killing the planet.

Now.. Aeris as an Ancient was able to summon Holy, because she had the white materia. She 'died', but as mentioned she didn't REALLY die, she just returned to lifestream and somehow. So that's why Cloud sort of sees her after defeating Sephiroth. 

So by defeating Sephiroth, we now have lifestream back to help defend/heal the damages created by meteor. However, it's too late, meteor is on a crash course to obliterate the planet. As we see in the cinematic lifestream rushes toward the area where meteor will hit, Midgar, and tried to stop it. However it slowly goes through, it seems lifestream isn't strong enough. 

But then, what's that white stuff? It's most likely holy. How Aeris was able to summon somehow connected to her being an Ancient and having the white materia. Most likely when she was praying at the end of Disc 1 in Forgotten City, she was actually praying to summon Holy, and Holy knew when to act. 

So, 500 years later, the planet is still in tact due to the combined efforts of lifestream and holy. Red XIII has a long life, as explained by Bugenhagen, which is why he is still alive and somehow has children. It is likely that the other characters are now dead, the average human life rarely going over 100 years. Midgar is in ruins because lifestream and holy were not fast enough to completely save Midgar. 

Yes other FFs are like this. Most of this is explained/alluded to throughout the in-game dialogue. I hope this explained most of your questions.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Willy105
    @CaptainCody , @Darkstar614 , @Al3xand3r , @AURON570 

Thank you guys! It makes more sense now.

I still think it's over the top. But that's because I am more used to the more straightforward storylines of other games.
    ryoma122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ryoma122
    @Willy105: 
    a straight forward story line is som thin this game didnt have lol
    rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By rallier

I'm a bit confused about how in Advent Children Midgar is returned to full glory (that Denzel short showed that off really nice) and in the "500 years later" it is overgrown by vegetation. 

Might be best not to think too much about that stuff though. 

@Willy105:
    You might want to check out a 30min anime short called Denzel that Square made, it tells the events of the meteor "hitting" Midgar and what its eventual effects were on the population.

Darkstar614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By Darkstar614
    @Rallier: the town in Advent Children is   Edge, a town built north of the remains of Midgar.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.