Why does everyone love Final Fantasy 7?

#1 Posted by Frohman (146 posts) -

It has had a movie made of it, sooo much fan fiction, games made of its characters, updates and makeovers, and features in other games. Why #7 though? Why is it the best one and the one everyone remembers most.
I watched a friend play it at length and I was bare impressed. To me it seems like an older version of the series. FF13 was a lot more fun to watch.
 
So, without saying, or alluding to, nostalgia, can someone tell me why it is considered the best/most popular in the series?

#2 Edited by EuanDewar (4895 posts) -

Mostly because it was the first 3D Final Fantasy and at the time a tad minblowing. Now though it looks as impressive as lego characters on a C64. 
 
And also cmon dude, Nostalgia. Its Nostalgia. Most older games are loved because of nostalgia.
#3 Posted by MikkaQ (10283 posts) -

Because it was the first "next-gen"' non-nintendo CD based 3D Final Fantasy, and was the beginning of the current period of FF games, where it's less Fantasy and more Sci-Fi. Though Final Sci-Fi doesn't sound as nice, does it? 
 
Personally, I think 6 and 9 were way better. 9 was just funny, so it's automatically more interesting to me, and 6 just had better themes, a better villain, and a cooler setting.  

#4 Posted by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -
This might help explain.
#5 Posted by melcene (3056 posts) -

For the people that played the hell out of 7 when it was still fresh and new and popular, the games that came after slowly went downhill. 
 
8 wasn't too bad, but there were some things people didn't like. 
 
9 had more things people didn't like. 
 
By the time 10 came out, people were hoping for something really mind-blowing, but it wasn't, so people were pretty meh about it. 

#6 Edited by Tiwi (1401 posts) -
@EuanDewar said:

"
Mostly because it was the first 3D Final Fantasy and at the time a tad minblowing. Now though it looks as impressive as lego characters on a C64. 
 
And also cmon dude, Nostalgia. Its Nostalgia. Most older games are loved because of nostalgia. "

Make sure to differentiate nostalgia, from actual depth and playability. There are games who are still nostalgic, but are fully playable and competent games.
I concur though, FFVII isn't as good as FFVI or even FF4. It feels clunky and it's an absolute horror to look at. But, the story is still decent and the game play is still ok compared to most JRPG's today.
#7 Posted by Animasta (14673 posts) -
@tiwi said:
" @EuanDewar said:

"
Mostly because it was the first 3D Final Fantasy and at the time a tad minblowing. Now though it looks as impressive as lego characters on a C64. 
 
And also cmon dude, Nostalgia. Its Nostalgia. Most older games are loved because of nostalgia. "

Make sure to differentiate nostalgia, from actual depth and playability. There are games who are still nostalgic, but are fully playable and competent games. I concur though, FFVII isn't as good as FFVI or even FF4. It feels clunky and it's an absolute horror to look at. But, the story is still decent and the game play is still ok compared to most JRPG's today. "
I would disagree about the story. It had a nice atmosphere though, mainly because of the music I feel
#8 Posted by 02sfraser (847 posts) -

For me it was the first proper JRPG I played and the first Final Fantasy I played. Had 3D graphics, mind blowing cinematic scenes (at the time) and the characters are still my favourite to date. Also I loved the Materia system as well as a lot of the settings. This may all be down to nostalgia but I still love it.

#9 Posted by Vonocourt (2126 posts) -
@Frohman said:
" I watched a friend play it at length and I was bare impressed. To me it seems like an older version of the series. FF13 was a lot more fun to watch.   "
Maybe cuz it is?
#10 Posted by melcene (3056 posts) -
@TheFreeMan said:
" This might help explain. "
GREAT GREAT article.
#11 Posted by danimal_furry (1453 posts) -

It was a pretty solid game, and it was ground breaking at the time.

#12 Posted by DrPockets000 (2859 posts) -

If anyone on the GB staff loves it, that would be the answer right there.

#13 Posted by Maajin (1059 posts) -

Also, the PSOne was the first console to aim it's marketing to teenagers and young adults, and they fell in love with the higher complexity and themes of games such as Final Fantasy 7 and Metal Gear Solid if compared to the more mainstream hits of the SNES and NES era. Similar RPGs existed, of course, some would say that FF6 is even more mature and deep, but were never as popular at their time.

#14 Edited by NickDynmo (174 posts) -
@Frohman: Just curious; how old are you?
#15 Posted by TheSeductiveMoose (3617 posts) -

I tried playing that game, could not get into it. (or any FF game for that matter)

#16 Posted by MattyFTM (14370 posts) -

For a lot of people, it was their first real RPG. People who really got into gaming on the PS1 (maybe they had a SNES or something beforehand, but didn't really get into some of the really in depth experiences like the Final Fantasy games) would have first experienced an RPG on the PS1. And for most people that game was Final Fantasy VII. So people naturally regard it with a very high level of nostalgia.

Moderator
#17 Posted by WatanabeKazuma (989 posts) -

It was for many the first JRPG they played, it came out at the right time not to mention it was actually great to play. I was never too into the story, the internet diluted what little love I had for that anyway.
 
Nostalgia does do it a lot of favours, it's aged much worse than most of the FF series in my opinion.

#18 Posted by LiquidSwords (2738 posts) -

You had to be there.

#19 Posted by GetEveryone (4455 posts) -

I really, really don't like FF7. 
 
The story is appalling, it controls horribly and I've never been able to get more than a few hours into it (though, have watched it being played through numerous times).

#20 Posted by RiotBananas (3600 posts) -
@melcene said:
" 9 had more things people didn't like. "
FF9 is the best Final Fantasy ever made.
#21 Posted by ClaritySam (594 posts) -

Well there are so many reasons (assuming you aren't just trolling), I think the fact that it was one of the first popular games to feature some genuinely moving story moments was a big part of its enduring appeal.  I mean obviously it's an FF game so a lot of it is total craziness but the death of Aeris was a really shocking moment back in 1997.  It had an excellent villain in Sephiroth, stacks of INTERESTING activities outside the main storyline (Chocobo breeding and the Gold Saucer were particular highlights) and in my opinion the magic system is the best in the series.  It also knocked down a lot of barriers for console-based rpgs outside their traditional home of Japan.  Finally you shouldn't forget the fact that at the time it was technically stunning, by far the prettiest looking game on the PS, with great music by   Nobuo Uematsu.   
I'm not sure why later games in the series haven't been as good, I have flu and my brains melting :-)  IMO though, FFX is the only title that comes close to whats generally agreed to be the high point of the series.

#22 Edited by ProfessorEss (7323 posts) -

I didn't enjoy it personally but I enjoyed watching my housemate play it on occasion.
 
The short version: It was AWESOME looking.

#24 Posted by Brenderous (1099 posts) -
@Frohman said:
" To me it seems like an older version of the series. "
Some people prefer the older-style Final Fantasy games to the new ones. 
 
VII has lots of nostalgia factor going for it too. First 3D Final Fantasy and all that. Plus it's a great game.
#25 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@melcene said:
" @TheFreeMan said:
" This might help explain. "
GREAT GREAT article. "
I agree, that was a very nice article. 
 
The Free Man has giving us a great link, and we thank him!
#26 Posted by Tiwi (1401 posts) -
@Laketown said:
" @tiwi said:
" @EuanDewar said:

"
Mostly because it was the first 3D Final Fantasy and at the time a tad minblowing. Now though it looks as impressive as lego characters on a C64. 
 
And also cmon dude, Nostalgia. Its Nostalgia. Most older games are loved because of nostalgia. "

Make sure to differentiate nostalgia, from actual depth and playability. There are games who are still nostalgic, but are fully playable and competent games. I concur though, FFVII isn't as good as FFVI or even FF4. It feels clunky and it's an absolute horror to look at. But, the story is still decent and the game play is still ok compared to most JRPG's today. "
I would disagree about the story. It had a nice atmosphere though, mainly because of the music I feel "
You don't find the story even decent? It's got enough depth to where you can read into characters personalities, and the story is both engaging and interesting, though it lags and struggles to move forward at times (mostly at the start of the game, until about 20 mins after you meet Areis). And even though there's some cases of "deus ex machina" it's as I've said, at least competent or decent. The graphics is one of the only reasons why the game isn't really relevant anymore, but at the time it was amazing.
#27 Posted by Gabriel (4061 posts) -
@TheFreeMan said:
" This might help explain. "
Nice article.
#28 Posted by Chris2KLee (2334 posts) -

I actually didn't enjoy 7 that much, just didn't click with me like others in the series had. Probably didn't really enjoy a FF again till 10.

#29 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

Maybe because of the story. That's why I still love it. Well, not like those people that have to dress up as the characters. Although, I'm still waiting to see a real life Tifa. Has anyone ever seen one?

#30 Edited by CandiBunni (465 posts) -
@ClaritySam said:

" Well there are so many reasons (assuming you aren't just trolling), I think the fact that it was one of the first popular games to feature some genuinely moving story moments was a big part of its enduring appeal.  I mean obviously it's an FF game so a lot of it is total craziness but the death of Aeris was a really shocking moment back in 1997.  It had an excellent villain in Sephiroth, stacks of INTERESTING activities outside the main storyline (Chocobo breeding and the Gold Saucer were particular highlights) and in my opinion the magic system is the best in the series.  It also knocked down a lot of barriers for console-based rpgs outside their traditional home of Japan.  Finally you shouldn't forget the fact that at the time it was technically stunning, by far the prettiest looking game on the PS, with great music by   Nobuo Uematsu.   I'm not sure why later games in the series haven't been as good, I have flu and my brains melting :-)  IMO though, FFX is the only title that comes close to whats generally agreed to be the high point of the series. "

 
One of the prettiest  PS One games? Not really. There were other games that looked better that were released before it like Resident Evil, Tekken, Tekken 2, Crash Bandicoot, and Wild Arms (one of my favourite RPGs).
 
Not to mention the characters looked like they were made of legos.
#31 Posted by Animasta (14673 posts) -
@tiwi said:
" @Laketown said:
" @tiwi said:
" @EuanDewar said:

"
Mostly because it was the first 3D Final Fantasy and at the time a tad minblowing. Now though it looks as impressive as lego characters on a C64. 
 
And also cmon dude, Nostalgia. Its Nostalgia. Most older games are loved because of nostalgia. "

Make sure to differentiate nostalgia, from actual depth and playability. There are games who are still nostalgic, but are fully playable and competent games. I concur though, FFVII isn't as good as FFVI or even FF4. It feels clunky and it's an absolute horror to look at. But, the story is still decent and the game play is still ok compared to most JRPG's today. "
I would disagree about the story. It had a nice atmosphere though, mainly because of the music I feel "
You don't find the story even decent? It's got enough depth to where you can read into characters personalities, and the story is both engaging and interesting, though it lags and struggles to move forward at times (mostly at the start of the game, until about 20 mins after you meet Areis). And even though there's some cases of "deus ex machina" it's as I've said, at least competent or decent. The graphics is one of the only reasons why the game isn't really relevant anymore, but at the time it was amazing. "
I actually played it to completion on the PC version in 2008 (I got stuck on the PS1 version in like 2000 or something) and the story definitely does not hold up. all the jenova stuff was hard to follow, the whole "twist" of cloud taking the other dude's identity or whatever wasn't very well done, some of the characters were not as developed as some others (Tifa, besides before you get him Cid, and Red 13 outside of the mystic mountain stuff) and it was just very poorly translated.
#32 Posted by prestonhedges (1965 posts) -

context
 
that's why

#33 Posted by SuperfluousMoniker (2907 posts) -

What I really like about FF7 is how often it changes up the gameplay. Practically every area has a minigame or some interesting wrinkle attached to it. The Shinra Building, Junon, and Gold Saucer are the big ones everyone remembers, but the game deserves serious kudos for constantly mixing up the gameplay.

#34 Edited by Famov (768 posts) -


I played the first half hour of it and thought it was okay. 

One of these times though, I want to play on the side of the evil empire in a game where I get to squash environmental terrorists. Has that ever happened before?

#35 Posted by Bobby_The_Great (1004 posts) -

I've been recently re-playing it (after playing it in 1997 when i was 13) now and I will say, it still holds up in writing, atmosphere and difficulty. I will say, remembering almost nothing about the game, there is a grandiose adventure to it and a difficult battle system. The story can be confusing and I still hold VI as my epitome Final Fantasy, but playing the game 14 years later as a 27-year-old, I still have a blast with it. 
 
The graphics do look like shit now though.
#36 Posted by AlisterCat (5536 posts) -

I enjoyed the characters and the materia system. The music and world were pretty cool as well.

#37 Posted by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -
@ZeForgotten: @Gabriel:  @melcene:  
 
If you guys thought that was good, there's more where that came from
 
(note: I did not write these articles but merely endorse them as being great)
#38 Posted by Tiwi (1401 posts) -
@Laketown: you're right, but again nostalgia and having played crisis core, makes it more believable, at least it sets up some of the story elements. THOUGH advent children then goes ahead and punches you in the gut for believing in the continuity.
#39 Posted by 71Ranchero (2738 posts) -

The same reason why many other games get mass appeal and longevity when they aren't really that great to begin with. 
 
The game is solid and extremely playable. Thats all it takes to make a game like this or Halo rise to the top. Gameplay, story, design, or otherwise take a back seat to just being very well built.

#40 Posted by Animasta (14673 posts) -
@tiwi said:
" @Laketown: you're right, but again nostalgia and having played crisis core, makes it more believable, at least it sets up some of the story elements. THOUGH advent children then goes ahead and punches you in the gut for believing in the continuity. "
also the vincent game is terrible, from what i've heard, but FF7's best quality is the atmosphere, especially that area where you're walking along the train tracks.
#41 Edited by moelarrycurly (668 posts) -
#42 Posted by fenixREVOLUTION (735 posts) -

I think because it hit at the right time and changed a lot of things and made RPGs cool for more than a niche audience. I think that its looked at heavily with nostalgia googles, because since then a few RPGs have been better. I still have fond memories of it myself though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.