Can I just move on with my life now?

#1 Posted by TepiDDeatH (70 posts) -

I'm ready to give up on FF8 . This is like the fourth playthrough, over like a fifteen year span, and I have yet to finish it. This last time, i'm at Ultimicia(sp?) and the boss after her, Griever, just one hit kills my party. No damage is shown, just dead. My question; "Can I just consider myself finished?"About 200 hours over the years. Is it finally time to say; "Well, I had a good run."

#2 Posted by sagesebas (2004 posts) -
@TepiDDeatH: I got to the very last boss in FFVII and couldn't beat it, so I stopped trying, it doesn't bother me, if you care about the story maybe watch a video.
#3 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

It's been a long time since I've played the game, but he is beatable. If I remember correctly, once you've beaten him, you should be set, since the boss after that is pretty damn easy.

#4 Posted by TooWalrus (13237 posts) -

You can move on, if you can deal with the fact that you're just not good enough to beat a video game. CAN you deal with that?

#5 Posted by TepiDDeatH (70 posts) -

That's just it, I know I " could". I could just try over and over and over and hope Phenix rebirth kicks in, but what's the chances of that happening? Mabey I'll try again on PS5, cause you know they'll still sell it in some form :)

#6 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4690 posts) -

I got to seifer and gave up after getting stuck.
#7 Posted by Evilsbane (4649 posts) -

Yes you should move on from the FF series in general it had a good run much like yourself.

#8 Posted by vidiot (2737 posts) -
@TepiDDeatH said:
"   I'm ready to give up on FF8 . This is like the fourth playthrough, over like a fifteen year span,
Nitpick: Game was released in 1999, but I get what you're saying.

I remember spamming a bunch of GF abilities during the final fights, including Recover which fills everyone's HP, or something.
That system is very exploitable. If you know what you're doing it can become the easiest in the series.
#9 Posted by Dtat (1623 posts) -
@vidiot said:
" @TepiDDeatH said:
"   I'm ready to give up on FF8 . This is like the fourth playthrough, over like a fifteen year span,
Nitpick: Game was released in 1999, but I get what you're saying. I remember spamming a bunch of GF abilities during the final fights, including Recover which fills everyone's HP, or something. That system is very exploitable. If you know what you're doing it can become the easiest in the series. "
Unless you use Knights of the Round and kill the Final Bosses in VII in one hit. haha
#10 Posted by htr10 (341 posts) -

honestly man, you've invested too much time and you're too close to give up now.  power through!   sounds like griever maybe got you with his pulsar shockwave.  you can either keep fighting and hope for a phoenix revive or you can try to beef up your characters HP some more.  iirc, pulsar shockwave can do as much as 6000 or 7000, but can also do considerably less than that.  you can do it.  there's like 13 years of FAQ info for FFVIII in case you can't figure it out.
#11 Posted by JasonR86 (9744 posts) -
@TepiDDeatH:

FF8 is not worth a single play-through let alone your four attempts. 
#12 Posted by vidiot (2737 posts) -
@Dtat said:
" @vidiot said:
" @TepiDDeatH said:
Nitpick: Game was released in 1999, but I get what you're saying. I remember spamming a bunch of GF abilities during the final fights, including Recover which fills everyone's HP, or something. That system is very exploitable. If you know what you're doing it can become the easiest in the series. "
Unless you use Knights of the Round and kill the Final Bosses in VII in one hit. haha "
Well, yeah. I would argue the amount of time getting Knights of the Round takes more time, than exploiting basic aspects of the Junction system.
I remember finishing the first disk with like, over 6000 HP for my characters or something.
#13 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

The topic of this title made me laugh, haha.

#14 Posted by Dtat (1623 posts) -
@vidiot said:
" @Dtat said:
" @vidiot said:
" @TepiDDeatH said:
Unless you use Knights of the Round and kill the Final Bosses in VII in one hit. haha "
Well, yeah. I would argue the amount of time getting Knights of the Round takes more time, than exploiting basic aspects of the Junction system.I remember finishing the first disk with like, over 6000 HP for my characters or something. "
That's true. I just think it's hilarious how easy the end of the game is when you get that summon!
#15 Posted by TheLeamenator (146 posts) -
@JasonR86: I BEG TO DIFFER! In my personal opinion, Final Fantasy VIII is THE BEST of the FF series... Unless, of course, you just don't like Final Fantasy at all, then your statement would have no relevance.
#16 Posted by Milkman (17034 posts) -

Sure, you can quit now...you quitter.

#17 Posted by JasonR86 (9744 posts) -
@TheLeamenator said:
@JasonR86: I BEG TO DIFFER! In my personal opinion, Final Fantasy VIII is THE BEST of the FF series... Unless, of course, you just don't like Final Fantasy at all, then your statement would have no relevance.
Yep, don't like Final Fantasy at all.  I'm just a contrarian that hates people and all things JRPG.
#18 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

Yeah something like that did happen, I was doing well then died like in a few hits from a boss and considered it cheap. I don't even know what happens thoughout the story or the end either.

#19 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3196 posts) -

I just finished it. It was brutal.

#20 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -

no, not for at least 8 more years.

#21 Posted by NegativeCero (3014 posts) -

Even if you say you quit now, I still think you will go back to it eventually, so I say try to finish it. I would be pissed not to have finished the game after 15 years. Then again, I skipped VIII and jumped into IX.

#22 Posted by GoofyGoober (937 posts) -

Shit I gave up on disc 2 when your ship was getting invaded, so don't feel bad.

#23 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3196 posts) -
@NegativeCero said:
Even if you say you quit now, I still think you will go back to it eventually, so I say try to finish it. I would be pissed not to have finished the game after 15 years. Then again, I skipped VIII and jumped into IX.
I skipped IX (though I have it) and jumped into X.
#24 Posted by SlasherMan (1725 posts) -
@birdflu777 said:
@NegativeCero said:
You, sir, missed THE best Final Fantasy every made.
#25 Posted by Shirogane (3579 posts) -

Don't feel bad, i've never finished a single FF game. I've pretty much done what you did, get to the final boss and then never beaten it.

THough most of the time it was cause i didn't want to beat it and wanted to do everything else first, then just never got around to it.

#26 Posted by TehFlan (1944 posts) -

You can beat it man. I BELIEVE IN YOU!

#27 Posted by themangalist (1739 posts) -

Ya, unless it's stressing you, don't give up! Have you looked up the internet for "hints"? Asked fellow GBers? You deserve to cheat a little for spending a decade playing that game!!

#28 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3196 posts) -
@SlasherMan said:
@birdflu777 said:
@NegativeCero said:
You, sir, missed THE best Final Fantasy every made.
I'm like, two hours into it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.