do i have to grind to enjoy this game?

#1 Posted by kashif1 (1428 posts) -

i love jrpg stories but i hate grinding (enough to not finish ffvii).  do i have to grind much to play this game.  Also will i have a problem with miss-able stuff?

#2 Edited by GunstarRed (5025 posts) -

ffVIII is the WORST for missing stuff, theres a bunch of places in the game you can get stuck if you haven't aquired/stolen certain summons from bosses... and many places that won't let you return to earlier parts to grind a few levels  so youre stuck at a boss you cannot beat.
#3 Edited by Eirikr (1006 posts) -
@kashif1:
Enemies level up with you, so grinding is a no-no. The only "grinding" you'll have to do is to draw magic, but it's given away pretty consistently so you shouldn't ever have a problem with it. 

There are missables, mostly with cards and stuff you can steal from bosses. It's nothing too crucial.

@marioncobretti:
And if you miss out on a summon, you'll be able to draw it again later from something else. If my memory serves.
#4 Edited by ZmillA (2260 posts) -

grind for draws, and card enemies instead of killing them

#5 Posted by GunstarRed (5025 posts) -
@Eirikr:
I dunno, remember getting reaaaaaaaaaaaally stuck about 2/3 of the way in and Could not go any further because I had missed unobtainable Summons  and ended up having to use a friends  action replay disk because I didn't have the means to progress past a 3 headed dog boss.
#6 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

You can beat the final boss at lvl 15. VIII's now infamous "everyone levels with you" system makes it possible.

However, as was already mentioned, the game also discourages just rushing through the game, as vital stuff is easy to miss, and not farming enemies for spells regularly makes it decisively more difficult.

#7 Posted by Hailinel (23885 posts) -

You should take the time to draw magic, but don't spend too much time focused on grinding your levels.  The key way to boost your stats is through effective use of the Junction system. As Eirikr said, the enemies in the game level with you, and so if you get int the later game boss fights with a high-level Squall, you're not doing yourself any favors.

#8 Posted by Shirogane (3563 posts) -
@Meowayne said:
"You can beat the final boss at lvl 15. VIII's now infamous "everyone levels with you" system makes it possible.  However, as was already mentioned, the game also discourages just rushing through the game, as vital stuff is easy to miss, and not farming enemies for spells regularly makes it decisively more difficult. "

Wait what? i don't remember this "everyone levels with you" system, unless my memory is wrong, which it could be, it's been a while, characters only levelled if you usd them in battle, like always. 

End of disc 3 is really where most people will have trouble i'd say, apart from that, i don't remember a lot of grinding.
#9 Posted by Symphony (1912 posts) -
@Shirogane said:
" @Meowayne said:
"You can beat the final boss at lvl 15. VIII's now infamous "everyone levels with you" system makes it possible.  However, as was already mentioned, the game also discourages just rushing through the game, as vital stuff is easy to miss, and not farming enemies for spells regularly makes it decisively more difficult. "
Wait what? i don't remember this "everyone levels with you" system, unless my memory is wrong, which it could be, it's been a while, characters only levelled if you usd them in battle, like always.  End of disc 3 is really where most people will have trouble i'd say, apart from that, i don't remember a lot of grinding. "
Meo means monsters level with you, which is true, though there is a bit of a loophole. Many bosses cap at a certain level. 

I remember grinding to an insanely high level before leaving the first island and being able to one-hit the first 5 or 6 bosses.
#10 Posted by Dtat (1623 posts) -
@marioncobretti:
I got stuck at exactly the same boss, and put the game down for like a year. Then when I picked it up again, I realized that the boss is optional.
#11 Posted by L33tfella_H (901 posts) -

Try to level up as little as possible, instead choose to draw the shit out of monsters, since equipping spells to your stats is much more important in the long run.

As people have said, monsters scale in level to Squall (or your highest lever character i think), but if you stay low level but have some good stuff equipped to your stats, you´re basically invincible.

#12 Edited by Eirikr (1006 posts) -

Also, something to remember is that summons are pretty useless in comparison to spamming limit breaks (which is easy to do). I do remember a playthrough where I didn't use a single one except for Doomtrain, and that's only because he causes status ailments. 

The sad, simple secret for success in FFVIII is to use the Aura spell (or get your HP down to 1/4), then jam on the turn skip button until you hear the limit break chime.

#13 Posted by palfrei (24 posts) -

As Eirikr posted, you don't have to grind because enemies usually share the same level with you however there are some quests to follow. I played the game 4 times and finished almost every quest avalable except the card quest and the chocobo quest. What's good about this game is that it breaks the mold of traditional JRPGs, you are grinding just by following the story. After having played it so many times I discovered that in order to avoid missing summons [the most important grindable elements of the game], you must use the draw command on every enemy on the playfield, above all try to draw unknown magic "???", some bosses have GFs hidden as ??? magic like Elvorett in the comunications tower in Dollet, I had to replay the game to get Siren from this boss so I learnt this lesson in the hard way; the same will happen with Brothers, Carbuncle and Cerberus as far as I can recall

You should read a guide or faq on getting the GFs because even though there are very few quests in the game, the ones that matter are a pain to complete [particularly getting Doom train or Eden but not so much]

#14 Posted by matti00 (668 posts) -
@marioncobretti said:
" @Eirikr: I dunno, remember getting reaaaaaaaaaaaally stuck about 2/3 of the way in and Could not go any further because I had missed unobtainable Summons  and ended up having to use a friends  action replay disk because I didn't have the means to progress past a 3 headed dog boss. "
If that's the same one I'm thinking of, then it's completely skippable, you don't even have to engage the enemy. Near the end of disc 2 in Galbadia Garden?

Anyway, people are right, the enemies level with you so you don't need to grind experience, but there are some infuriating bits where they don't actually tell you where to go, just say it's on the world map somewhere. That was always a dick in the face, so I recommend keeping a walkthrough handy, don't let the game frustrate you. It's definitely worth seeing through to the end.
#15 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@matti00:
You can miss all the summons, you'll get them back in Disc 4 regardless. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.