Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy VIII

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Feb 11, 1999

In the eighth numbered Final Fantasy title, Squall and his band of mercenaries fight to save their world from conquest and destruction. It introduced several new concepts to the franchise, including a subplot with an alternate main character, level-scaling enemies, and the Junction system.

Favourite Final Fantasy Game

Wolswor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Wolswor

I don't know if it was because this was the first Final Fantasy game that I had ever played but I enjoyed it the most out of all of the other FFs I have played(7+, excluding 11).  I really liked the story and the characters were top-notch in my opinion.

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Whisperkill

6, and then 9

TLT21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By TLT21

This is definitely my fav ff

Avatar image for deactivated-63aed1f3cc082
    deactivated-63aed1f3cc082

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I don't think it's my favorite, but it's up there.  For me, the game is certainly unforgettable.  I still love it and I've planning to start up a fresh game soon, as soon as I clear a few other games off my plate.

jtickner1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By jtickner1

VIII and X are my favourites. 

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By suneku

Not one of my favorites but I definitely have some fond memories in this game.

kariyanine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#7  Edited By kariyanine

I enjoyed the story in VIII but I hated the gameplay, especially the drawing of spells..  My choice is going to be weird but my favorite FF is still the original NES version, it was the first one I played and I have played through it multiple times even though the game is completely shallow in terms of story.

Inu463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Inu463

For me this game is at the absolute bottom of my Final Fantasy game rankings.  I can't seem to decide if Final Fantasy II (the one for the NES, not 4) or this one takes the cake.  I really wanted to like this game, but the battle system bored me, the characters were all mid-level personalities with none capturing my interest, and the story seemed thrown together at certain points.  It wasn't all bad though, and that's why I felt even worse that I couldn't get into it, because I felt like with a little more work it could have been really compelling.  My main qualm was that the battle system came down to this:  1) Check new monsters for new magics 2) If found, spend ages drawing 100 each of the desired spells with each of your main characters 3) equip said magic for stat boosts 4) spam your incredibly long and unskipable summoning abilities to decimate foes.  The enemies all leveled with you so training your guys gave you no advantages and therefore no satisfaction (and indeed if you trained them up to 100 like I did at one point, you make them more difficult in some cases).  Also because you could summon GF's infinitely, there was absolutely no strategy to be found until you got to the 4th disc and fought that boss that was holding Rinoa captive, which meant summoning would hit her as well.  My first time through the game I got stuck there because I had not bothered to upgrade my stats with magic.  I've since restarted and replayed the game to the fourth disc 3 times, but I always lose interest in the third disc and ultimately stop on the fourth.  I have this internal conflict of wanting to have completed all the numbered final fantasy games ( and I have except for this one) and being hopelessly bored to tears while playing FF8.  I've always heard this game has hidden depth, and even the blurb for the games Giant Bomb page implies that it does, but I only see a broken system that could have been brilliant if they had just limited the summoning ability and found some way to make it less tedious to draw magic.  Those concepts sound cool on paper but in practice implementing an MP system would have worked much better.  For those of you who like the game, let me know what you think of the battle system.  Oh, and I almost forgot, my favorites are 4-7 and 9.  6 is my absolute favorite.

sohail12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By sohail12345

well 7/8/10 hated 12

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Endogene

i like myself a silly love story now and then, the theme song makes my shed a tear every time i hear it, such a memorable song "eyes on me"

Crimacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Crimacabre

Yeah, FF8 is my favourite Final Fantasy game.

Avatar image for lightwarrior179
    lightwarrior179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By lightwarrior179

FFVI,FFVII or FFVIII. Can never decide which is the best amongst these three legendary games.

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By Demilich

X was the only one that didn't lick my balls.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By atejas
    Demilich said:
    "X was the only one that didn't lick my balls."
    So...did you like or dislike X?
    X is the best one, imho. And I haven't heard too many popular thing about this one, but I might try it later.
    Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Demilich

I'd say X was good. So was X-2. The flower power girly happytimeness of X-2 was a pleasant break from the emotional flatlining of every. other. final. fantasy. Plus it had the best combat by far.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By BoG

XII is another great game, great story, good characters, with fun battles. Lacked variety. Good, not great.
    X sucks. Everything about it. The story, the characters, and the battles are terrible. If anything, it had beautiful environments.
    IX is my second favorite, great story, great characters, tons of personality, tons of fun.
    VIII disappointed me more then any game, ever. Disc one set it up to be a masterpiece, discs 2-4 absolutely destroyed the plot. Good characters, horrible story.
    VII was good, but not all it is cracked up to be.
    VI is my favorite, though it is close. VI had great customization, a great story, great characters, and tons of variety. It did things no RPG before it had, and quite simply, was amazing.
    V is my third favorite, very underrated. The gameplay is more fun then any other FF title. Job system perfection.
    IV is simply a brilliant game, everyone who plays it will love it.
    III is fun.
    I is fun.

That's my two cents on all the FF games I have played.

raven77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By raven77

7/8/9 those are the 3 best ff games ever but even out of those 3 8 is my favorite

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#18  Edited By Meowayne

It's a trap!

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Certainly, it's Final Fantasy 90210, but it's enjoyable nonetheless. 

My favorite iteration of the Omega Weapon was in this game. 

Wuffi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Wuffi

7 9 and 6, ff12 sucks

bekern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By bekern

I never played FF8 and I'm not sure if I ever will because I've heard the battle system is really annoying.. and because I watched this guys review lol. My favorite Final Fantasy would definatly be 9 though, with 4 being a close second.

Newd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Newd

I really liked nine and ten.

RandomHero666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By RandomHero666

VII is my fave game of all time, Next fave FF is IX, then X.
    I didnt like VIII much at all, completed it and all.

strangeling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 50

#24  Edited By strangeling

FF Tactics.
    I have VII, VIII, IX, & X, but i've only played each up until the point I get to watch a long cut scene then regain control of my character only to find out the only thing I can do is trigger the next cut scene.  I always get pissed off at that point.  I don't mind watching super long cut scenes, but when I have control of the characters I better damn well be able to play for a good bit.

Avatar image for masturbatingbear
    MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By MasturbatingBear

ff8 is definitely my favorite. And technically my first. I got it in like may 2001 as a gift for my first holy communion for the pc. This game introduced me to the ff series and I loved it. People are complaining about the drawing of magic? if you don't want to you don't have too. I didn't go around drawing 100 of each  magic. I loved the characters, the story, and the gameplay. Zell is my favorite character and to this day I use the name Zell on any online account/game I make/play, cept for this site. Junctioning was really cool the card game was not only really fun but also helped in game. You needed to play that game if you wanted really good equipment.

Thats really the only ff game I played fully besides ff6 and tactics advance. I did play some 8,x,2,5, and I own 3 for the ds.

BigDo6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By BigDo6

Final Fantasy Tactics ------> Final Fantasy 7 ------> Final Fantasy 10

But, is Tactics considered a Final Fantasy game in that sense?

gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By gunswordfist

Final Fantasy 8 is my favorite one. If it wasn't for me playing the great Phantasy Star (which I played at the end of last year) FF8 would still be my favorite turn based RPG. Deus Ex is my favorite RPG period though.

DarkShadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By DarkShadow

Haven't played a lot of Final Fantasy so I'm going to go with Crisis Core because of it's story.

LostRebel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By LostRebel

I've only played FF4, FF8, and 11 (online), but I liked 8 best.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.