Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy VIII

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Feb 11, 1999

In the eighth numbered Final Fantasy title, Squall and his band of mercenaries fight to save their world from conquest and destruction. It introduced several new concepts to the franchise, including a subplot with an alternate main character, level-scaling enemies, and the Junction system.

FFVIII Remix: Trance Kompactor (Compression of Time)

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

Edited By lordofultima

I really think that the music of Final Fantasy VIII is overlooked because it was such a divisive game. That's a darn shame because it has some of the most unique and catchy tunes of the series. There's a couple odd-balls in the soundtrack of course, maybe the strangest being Compression of Time. This is my second FFVIII remix, the first being a metal take on Lunatic Pandora.

Not really sure what grabs me about the original song, maybe it's the subtle poly-rhythm harp thing, or the outlandish horn noise. Either way, it was a fitting song for the endgame, with all time being compressed and you falling from the sky fighting mutated sorceress ladies. I tried to encapsulate that feeling the best I could...with some dope dance beats and crazy drum patterns, along with plenty of filtering all over everything. Is it really trance? I have no idea, but it's entrancing. So that counts in my book!

You can check out my soundcloud for more video game remixes and random original pieces. My tastes are kind of all over the place so I don't cater to one particular genre.

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Benny
    Verendus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm not big fan of trance/techno or overly-metal remixes of FF tracks. I did enjoy the first 30 seconds or so though.

Compression Of Time is awesome track though, FFVIII had some seriously underrated tracks overall. I don't know why, maybe it's because the soundtrack wasn't as "consistently good" as FFVII or IX for comparison.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

@verendus said:

I'm not big fan of trance/techno or overly-metal remixes of FF tracks. I did enjoy the first 30 seconds or so though.

Compression Of Time is awesome track though, FFVIII had some seriously underrated tracks overall. I don't know why, maybe it's because the soundtrack wasn't as "consistently good" as FFVII or IX for comparison.

I would definitely say both 7 and 9 are considerably weaker. Certainly 9 has its tracks though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.