How Final Fantasy VIII Changed my life

Posted by Verrayne (14 posts) -

Just some background I'm now 24 years old and I live in South Africa. So here goes:

When I first got this awesome game I was 13 years old, just went to Grade 6 (my birthday is on the 17th of December). It was on a Sunday morning after church, my parents wanted to go to the Hatfield flea market (it's a crappy place now), okay my mom wanted to go and dragged us all along. I was stunned to see a games stall there, after looking through everything I decided on Final Fantasy VIII, I don't know why since I had never heard of the series before then.. It was probably the 5 discs for R120.

A couple years back I dug those old discs up.. I couldn't believe the horrible printing job the oke put on them. How could I ever believe it was the legitimate game! I'l write that one off on youth...

When I finally got round to playing the game it was GLORIOUS! This was my first real experience with an RPG. it was an entire world to explore (3D none the less), it was so detailed I just could not comprehend it all at that stage. The excitement was almost unbearable.

The gang of Squall Quistis, Zell, Sophie, Irvine and Rinoa became like friends to me. After the drudgery of school and homework I could go back to that unnamed world and hangout with the them, for hours on end i would just walk around and explore. I would much rather be in that fictitious world...

This game change the way way I see the world. Whether that is a good thing or not, I wouldn't know, you would have to ask my significant other about that.

The most gripping thing of the game to me was the love story. It made me appreciate romance. Somehow that also changed me, for the next 10 odd years I would not be able to make a relationship last more than 2 months. As I am writing this I realise I was envious of the connection Squall and Rinoa had. And saddened by the one Laguna and Julia couldn't have. I was not willing to settle for anything less, I would always sub consciously wish for a relationship like theirs. I thought I found that once, until she broke it off for no apparent reason.

But it was because of this great game that I've been dating the woman of my dreams for the past 2 years! Tonight I'm getting her ring and will ask her to marry me this weekend. Were it not for this game it might never have happened.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I bought a PSP last year just to be able to play FFVIII on the go (or in bed) and I've managed to put up another 60 hours to my total. This entire series has captivated me over the years, I guess it has something to do with the fact that I was born the day the original NES version got released.

These games (FF VIII in particular) aren't just good memories or a funny story. They shaped me into the person I am today, it's a part of my personality.

Thanks for reading!

#1 Posted by Verrayne (14 posts) -

Just some background I'm now 24 years old and I live in South Africa. So here goes:

When I first got this awesome game I was 13 years old, just went to Grade 6 (my birthday is on the 17th of December). It was on a Sunday morning after church, my parents wanted to go to the Hatfield flea market (it's a crappy place now), okay my mom wanted to go and dragged us all along. I was stunned to see a games stall there, after looking through everything I decided on Final Fantasy VIII, I don't know why since I had never heard of the series before then.. It was probably the 5 discs for R120.

A couple years back I dug those old discs up.. I couldn't believe the horrible printing job the oke put on them. How could I ever believe it was the legitimate game! I'l write that one off on youth...

When I finally got round to playing the game it was GLORIOUS! This was my first real experience with an RPG. it was an entire world to explore (3D none the less), it was so detailed I just could not comprehend it all at that stage. The excitement was almost unbearable.

The gang of Squall Quistis, Zell, Sophie, Irvine and Rinoa became like friends to me. After the drudgery of school and homework I could go back to that unnamed world and hangout with the them, for hours on end i would just walk around and explore. I would much rather be in that fictitious world...

This game change the way way I see the world. Whether that is a good thing or not, I wouldn't know, you would have to ask my significant other about that.

The most gripping thing of the game to me was the love story. It made me appreciate romance. Somehow that also changed me, for the next 10 odd years I would not be able to make a relationship last more than 2 months. As I am writing this I realise I was envious of the connection Squall and Rinoa had. And saddened by the one Laguna and Julia couldn't have. I was not willing to settle for anything less, I would always sub consciously wish for a relationship like theirs. I thought I found that once, until she broke it off for no apparent reason.

But it was because of this great game that I've been dating the woman of my dreams for the past 2 years! Tonight I'm getting her ring and will ask her to marry me this weekend. Were it not for this game it might never have happened.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I bought a PSP last year just to be able to play FFVIII on the go (or in bed) and I've managed to put up another 60 hours to my total. This entire series has captivated me over the years, I guess it has something to do with the fact that I was born the day the original NES version got released.

These games (FF VIII in particular) aren't just good memories or a funny story. They shaped me into the person I am today, it's a part of my personality.

Thanks for reading!

#2 Posted by Slag (4092 posts) -

@Verrayne said:

NICE!

I hope she says yes!

#3 Posted by Dtat (1623 posts) -

That game also hit me at a pretty interesting time in my life. I think in our early teenage years we're more open to storytelling of that nature. We haven't yet become cynical bastards and can enjoy a cheesy, sappy love story like FFVIII. Good read. Makes me yearn for more innocent times.

#4 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2779 posts) -

That FF8 academy was effing gorgeous and forever tainted my view of any real world institution. I got to Disc 3 before getting stuck and quitting.

#5 Posted by TruthTellah (8579 posts) -

@Verrayne: Good luck with it! I look forward to an update on the proposal. :)

#6 Edited by Verrayne (14 posts) -

Thank you for the responses, Will post an update this weekend.

I all ready know she will say yes, we've been talking about it for ages...

#7 Edited by Verrayne (14 posts) -

She said yes ;)

#8 Posted by TruthTellah (8579 posts) -

@Verrayne: Fantastic! Congratulations!

I know you knew she would say "yes", but I'm sure it's still a relief to know know. ha. :)

#9 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -

Final Fantasy VIII is a great game. And congratulations!

#10 Posted by Fattony12000 (7102 posts) -

@Verrayne:

#11 Posted by Vexxan (4616 posts) -

@Verrayne: Congratulations!

#12 Posted by Giacomito (208 posts) -

Congratulations!!

I had a similar experience but with FFVII, it was the first RPG I played and it blew my mind

#13 Posted by Brodehouse (9654 posts) -

As an aloof, introverted teenager with abandonment issues who spent the majority of his time alone in his room wrapped up in his thoughts, Squall was something I'd never played as; myself. It wasn't until about five years later when I realized what was really going on in that game.

#14 Posted by ThunderSlash (1576 posts) -

Congratulations duder! As for my experience with FF8, I played it back when I was 11 years old. I was enjoying it up to the part where you had to find the White SeeD ship. I spent hours looking for that thing and ended up giving up.

#15 Posted by geirr (2483 posts) -

Awesome story, I'm happy for you and for your experience with FF8!

I had a similar 'breakthrough' with FF6 back in the days and while it's not related, I am happily married now.

#16 Posted by WalkerTR77 (1352 posts) -

I love FFVIII; what a feel good thread. Hope we get some sort of remake/polish job on it soon to make it a bit more playable in the HD era.

#17 Posted by thatpinguino (738 posts) -

congrats!

#18 Posted by camp7203 (121 posts) -

!!!!!!!!!!!!

#19 Posted by Slag (4092 posts) -

@Verrayne said:

She said yes ;)

NICE!

congrats man!

#20 Posted by Ace829 (2083 posts) -

@Verrayne: I know it isn't Final Fantasy VIII, but it's close enough. Have you considered this for your wedding music?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.