Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy VIII

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Feb 11, 1999

In the eighth numbered Final Fantasy title, Squall and his band of mercenaries fight to save their world from conquest and destruction. It introduced several new concepts to the franchise, including a subplot with an alternate main character, level-scaling enemies, and the Junction system.

I can honestly say that Final Fantasy VIII has changed my life

LostRebel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By LostRebel

Final Fantasy VIII is my favorite game I've ever played, and I've played hundreds of games, here's why. I didn't like the clumsy draw system, but I liked the characters, story, and immersion. The draw system was just weird, so I basically never used it, except to heal. The Guardian Forces made it way to easy to defeat just about any enemy. You also have to grind if you want to upgrade your weapons, or at least I think you do, I'm still not clear on that. There's also that very steep learning curve, despite you spending the first couple of hours of the game learning how to play it.

The story did get a little strange when you find out that they all went to the same orphanage as children, but I think that's one of the key themes in the game. Destiny, since not only did they all grow up together, but Julia is Rinoa's  mother and Laguna is Squall's father, they fell in love, but it didn't work out since Laguna was injured in the war. Then Rinoa and Squall fell in love in the game.

I also found that I could relate to the characters, especially Squall, since I'm also a socially awkward introvert. Squall starts out very self-centered and a loner, throughout the game, he becomes more caring and open. It starts when he has the eye opening experience that is Seifer's alleged death. Then he was worried about the Selphie and the others who went to the missile base.

I haven't even finished it yet, but it's by far the best game I've ever played and the level of immersion is amazing. It also gave me the idea for my upcoming novel. I am very emotionally invested into the game, the story, the characters, everything. I didn't think I could get like this, especially over a video game. What did you think of the game? And has a game ever had an affected you like this before?

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By IBurningStar

You just copy and pasted a post from another thread to make this thread. Why?

LostRebel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By LostRebel
    @IBurningStar said:
    You just copy and pasted a post from another thread to make this thread. Why?
    I didn't copy and paste it. Look at what he said, and then look at what I said.
    IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By IBurningStar

http://www.giantbomb.com/final-fantasy-viii/61-12277/one-of-my-favorite-video-games-final-fantasy-viii/35-464402/#4

Your response to OppressiveStink is this thread. 

Edit: Which you were clever enough to go back and delete. Well played, sir.

LostRebel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By LostRebel
    @IBurningStar said:
    http://www.giantbomb.com/final-fantasy-viii/61-12277/one-of-my-favorite-video-games-final-fantasy-viii/35-464402/#4  Your response to OppressiveStink is this thread.   Edit: Which you were clever enough to go back and delete. Well played, sir.
    This was originally my reply to @OppressiveStink, but I edited it a lot, and then made it a topic.
    laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By laserbolts
    @LostRebel
    @IBurningStar said:
    http://www.giantbomb.com/final-fantasy-viii/61-12277/one-of-my-favorite-video-games-final-fantasy-viii/35-464402/#4  Your response to OppressiveStink is this thread.   Edit: Which you were clever enough to go back and delete. Well played, sir.
    This was originally my reply to @OppressiveStink, but I edited it a lot, and then made it a topic.
    Why?
    LostRebel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By LostRebel
    @laserbolts: I wanted to be like the OP of the thread you linked, he had the right idea to share his feelings, but his thread wasn't even from this year.
    laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By laserbolts
    @LostRebel But you bumped it by replying to it anyways. It doesn't matter when it was created. Anyways ff8 was pretty good I never finished it though. Got to the last part of the game where you have to gain your commands back or whatever. I was not a fan of Zell though I found him pretty annoying.
    JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By JasonR86
    @LostRebel

Well, this is an unnecessary thread considering there's already a thread about this very topic.  But, here's my two cents before this thread is closed.  It's fine if you like the game.  I'm happy for you.  I don't and I don't agree with a single thing you said about the game but it doesn't really matter.  You've made up your mind and that's fine.  But the problem with threads like this is that there is no place for this thread to go.  What will result from these threads are a bunch of people saying "I love the game and here's why" or "I hate the game and here's why".  There will be a bunch of people who have already made up their mind yelling their opinion in the wasted attempt at getting people to see things their way with the end result amounting to nothing.
    LostRebel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By LostRebel
    @JasonR86: I asked others to share what they thought of the game?
    LostRebel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By LostRebel
    @JasonR86: Thanks for posting your thoughts :)
    laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By laserbolts
    @LostRebel You totally just edited the op to include a question. Wow. Anyways regardless there is already a thread on this so it's still pointless.
    JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By JasonR86
    @LostRebel

I'm just telling you, as someone who has been on these forums for a while, these threads amount to nothing.  When you make a thread, try to think about the community first.  And, as @laserbolts: said, the original OP didn't have a question.
    Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Good for you, OP. For me, it was MGS2.

Soffish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Soffish

Wait....I just saw this exact same post on completely different forum....

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.