Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy VIII

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Feb 11, 1999

In the eighth numbered Final Fantasy title, Squall and his band of mercenaries fight to save their world from conquest and destruction. It introduced several new concepts to the franchise, including a subplot with an alternate main character, level-scaling enemies, and the Junction system.

"IF" a remake were to happen, what things would you like to see?

Battery_Dennis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Battery_Dennis

"IF" (not saying its going to happen, so please don't bring that up here and hijack the thread) Final Fantasy were to be updated or remade what sort of things would you like to see changed, enhanced etc.

Personally I would like to see:
    1. The card game go online
    2. The drawing system reworked so you can only draw a limited amount from each monster.

TheRowGow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By TheRowGow

I'd agree with the above but also feel the junction system would need a look at as that system was far to simple to exploit.

nixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By nixon

1. Fancy menus!
    2. More internal dialogue.
    3. More characters would be sweet, like the witch and Seifer could be secret ones to make them permanent, or those 3 dudes from the flashbacks. Whole new ones.
    4. More spells and gfs for more options since this is  a remake and people have played it before.
    5. I dont like how the game is easier if you dont level up.
    6. Anything that makes the game harder doesn't peak my interest but more options would be fine.
    7. There should be more games with internal dialogue like this game had.
    8. I don't like how some GFs are easily missed.

nogginbot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By nogginbot

pretty much repeating Nixon but yeh: more GFs would be good...that'l look sick In next Gen.

The only thing i really didnt like was the leveling system so having that change would in my opinion be better.

DarkLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By DarkLegend

I want to see a DS port with it as well.

Wolswor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Wolswor

Weapons that actually are dropped or are found, once you enter the castle of the last boss don't make everything else impossible to go back to.

Ruisu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Ruisu
    TheRowGow said:
    "I'd agree with the above but also feel the junction system would need a look at as that system was far to simple to exploit.
    "
    TOtally agree with that The Junction system was far to simple. But remember many people did complain about it being to complex which was strange IMO lol.

What I woudl love to see in the remake:
     1.Triple Triad online
       2. some good Voice actors for everyone
      I really dont know anything else that can make FFVIII better. I personally thing that it was perfect so if I could get a Next-Gen experience of FFVIII I would be happy as SHELL.
    Oh snap I just remembered they could have the Chocobo minigame that was on the PSP (PlayStation Pocket) and do some remote play connectivity with the PSP (PlayStation Poryable) that woudl be awesome.
    kidzombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By kidzombie

Triple Triad Online would be awesome to have. As much as I liked Junction, yeah there are a few tweaks here and there that can be done to it.

Kiefer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Kiefer

I guess I'd want it to remain mostly the same. I'd just want it on the 360 or PS3 so I could relive my past experiences with the game, just with incredible new graphics so my eyes don't bleed from the jagged edges of the PS1 version.
    But yeah, Triple Triad Online would be fun.

Avatar image for the_robo_boogie
    the_robo_boogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By the_robo_boogie

obviously the next-gen graphics are a given, and hopefully the scenes are re-shot and somewhat re-scripted to have a heightened sense of drama, I think this story could work really well given a proper next-gen treatment.

gameplay-wise: on-screen battles would be nice as long as they are seamless and quick.

MrCynical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By MrCynical

I probably wouldn't want them to add voice acting. It would be like  dubbing new voices onto It's a Wonderful Life. If modern audiences mean they _have_ to include voice acting then I'd want an option to turn it off and just have the white-on-grey text boxes

MrCynical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By MrCynical

Since people seem to be agreed that the gameplay shouldn't change much if at all, I've come up with a list of minor tweaks from other games that I think could make the game better without actually changing it much:
    a) The 'hidden interaction' exclamation mark from FFIX. I only realised how much I miss that when I was looking for Occult Fan I on my newest playthrough.
    b) Remastered models, textures etc. - not redrawn, just given greater detail than was possible in the standard def era
    c) Keep the FMV sequences - presumably they still have the original assets that the FMVs were rendered from, so (after the same updating as the ingame assets) it shouldn't be _too_ difficult to produce an HD copy of the originals
    d) If they were to have in-game battles, still keep the screen flash sound and visual effects - they were great, and would be preferable to having the monsters jump out of walls or appear out of nowhere two feet away Tales of Symphonia-style

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By RVonE

I would want the exact same game including prerendered backgrounds, but I would want it to have a current-gen visual quality.

Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Coltonio7

More Irvine, More Irvine, More Irvine, Less Quistis, More Irvine, Pimpin' Trains, Some New GF's, More Irvine, Make Ultemecia harder, More...Irvine

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Endogene

i would like to have the evolution of the relation ship between squal and Rinoa better developed, you know some small story elements here and there to flesh it out better

edit: triple triad online

gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By gunswordfist

Drawing having a limit on a monster would be the LAST thing that would fix the system. They need to find a way to make drawing faster. Maybe an ability to draw say 25 or 50 magic at a time.

Anyway, what I want to see is a redone world after you travel through time. Instead of blocking off all the major cities/areas, they should let you go into future versions of them. Or their time distortion versions. And you should be...oh yeah didn't you fight some time distorted boss?! I just remembered that. I was going to say that they should let you play through the time travel, instead of watching a cutscene of it. They should let you play through said cutscene and combine thst with the time distorted boss.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By Shadow

a better combat system.  The big reason why these games are so hard to go back to isn't that the graphics are so archaic, it's that the combat system is.  It has been improved upon soooooo much in the last 10 years, and I just don't think I can go back...as much as I'd like to since the second disk was unreadable so I was only able to play 1/4 of the story

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By jakob187

A remake of FF8?  I'd like to see complete game deletion, to be honest.  I felt like this was one of the poorest installments to the franchise.  The Junction system was relatively bland and uninteresting when compared to the Esper system or even the AP crystal system in FF9.  The love story in it...*ugh*...was so tedious and badly implemented.  Squall was a weak, one-sided character when compared to previous iterations in the franchise (look at FF4 alone, and you'll see an entire cast that trumps him).  The graphics were great for the time, but the summons were rather lackluster.  Lastly, the story felt too stitched together with things happening that were ONLY there in order to progress the story, rather than feeling natural and organic like the better games in the franchise.  I'm not a fan of FF7 at all either, but that story at least flowed together for me.

I don't know, that may all be personal problems with the game, but it just really put an uneasy feeling in my stomach.
    gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By gunswordfist
    Shadow said:
    "a better combat system.  The big reason why these games are so hard to go back to isn't that the graphics are so archaic, it's that the combat system is.  It has been improved upon soooooo much in the last 10 years, and I just don't think I can go back...as much as I'd like to since the second disk was unreadable so I was only able to play 1/4 of the story"

Even back then the junction/drawing system was extremely flawed. FF8 is my second favorite turn-based RPG but having to draw magic from a monster for about 15 minutes and have your stats go down when you use junctioned magic was extremely annoying.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.