Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy VIII

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Feb 11, 1999

In the eighth numbered Final Fantasy title, Squall and his band of mercenaries fight to save their world from conquest and destruction. It introduced several new concepts to the franchise, including a subplot with an alternate main character, level-scaling enemies, and the Junction system.

What Type of FF8 Speed Run Should I Do For The Community Endurance Run?

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By thatpinguino  Staff

Poll What Type of FF8 Speed Run Should I Do For The Community Endurance Run? (41 votes)

Pure Speed Bare Minimum 39%
    Get Every GF 61%

Hey Duders,

I'm participating in the Community Endurance Run next month and my main attraction is going to be an FF8 speed run! I'm hoping to get through the game in 15-20 hours, but I'm not sure exactly which specific parameters I should follow for my run. The pure speed run would lead to me skipping a few optional GFs like Doomtrain, Tonberry, Cactuar, Bahamut, and Eden and that would be a bit tougher as far as actually not dying. The all GFs run wouldn't miss any GFs so there would be more content, but it would introduce some repetition thanks to the Doomtrain and Tonberry side-quests. I'm not sure which would be more fun to see. What do you think?

• 
    ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Have you seen Kynos' FF8 100% runs? Do that.

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Grinding doomtrain and toneberry would be booooooring, but that's just one mans opinion.

slax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Does GFs mean girlfriends? Cause you should get all those...

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 thatpinguino  Staff

@slax: It means Guardian Force, but I will definitely end up with one girlfriend by the end of the run.

@esrever: A 100% run would take longer than 24 hours for me and it introduces a bunch of randomness into the run that could make it even longer. I don't think me chasing down Mr.Monkey and PuPu would be especially fun.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

You shouldn't play FF8 at all.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 thatpinguino  Staff

@corevi: But FF8 is so much fun to speed run! You can go about it so many different ways and really cut out the repetitive stuff if you want to. Most JRPGs require a bunch of grinding or intense glitch abuse to speed run, but FF8 doesn't. Also I think I might be able to finish FF8 in a reasonable amount of time.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Defeat Ultima and Omega Weapons.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 thatpinguino  Staff

@rvone: Would using The End count or would I have to kill them the old fashioned way?

Lelcar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 25

Final Fantasy VIII is the best Playstation Final Fantasy and you should get every GF.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 thatpinguino  Staff

@lelcar: Welp its looking like I'm going to be killing a lot of Tonberries and Marlboros. Woopie!

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pure speed. I've always enjoyed the number crunching which goes with bare minimum runs. I.e. being at a low level makes a normally useless attack a game changer, etc.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 thatpinguino  Staff

@lydian_sel: The major difference between getting all of the GFs and going as fast as possible is that the Doomtrain and Tonberry GFs require some grinding. 6 Marlboro tentacles are required to summon Doomtrain and that takes a lot of luck to get since Marlboros are fairly rare and they mess your party up pretty bad with status effects if you fight them for long. The Tonberry GF requires you to kill about 20 Tonberries and then kill a Tonberry King that comes out to avenge its tiny subjects. Ultima Weapon is no joke either and it has the Eden summon. I'm not planning on restarting or messing with the randomness in any way so those two spots could get repetitive. I might have to get creative for those spots if the full GF run wins.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rvone: Would using The End count or would I have to kill them the old fashioned way?

I forget, is there another way to get The End besides through Selphie's slot machine? If there's a regular (meaning non-cheat code) draw point for The End, by all means get it and use it. Otherwise, use The End through the slot machine if you want.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Just go for whatever you personally would enjoy the most @thatpinguino. If you're having fun, your viewers will too.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 thatpinguino  Staff

@slag: Honestly, if Doomtrain didn't require a bunch of Marlboro hunting I would just get all of the GFs. The Tonberry sidequest isn't especially difficult or random. Finding and robbing Marlboros is a real pain though.

@rvone: Nope, Selphie's limit break is the only way to use The End, so it is 100% luck based. That's not to say that there isn't a way to cheese The End, but you can't just find it in the world as a regular spell. I think I'm going to kill the Weapons either way because screw those things.

groin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

You can get Malboro tentacles by refining 4 Malboro cards. Those cards are pretty common in the early game. If you play the PC version then you could use the Chocobo world exploit to get them fairly easily as well.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By thatpinguino  Staff

@groin: I'm going to play the PS1 version on my PS3 and I know about refining Marlboro cards. The issue there is that you need to get 24 Marlboro cards to get the 6 tentacles you need for Doomtrain and getting those cards takes even longer than robbing Marlboros. I'm not going to be playing the card game much if at all because of the time it takes and the randomness it introduces. You can mug 1-4 items from a single enemy and Squall never misses his attacks so that is a more efficient way to collect large grips of items. I'm mostly worried about Bad Breath causing me to wipe a bunch of times.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slag: Honestly, if Doomtrain didn't require a bunch of Marlboro hunting I would just get all of the GFs. The Tonberry sidequest isn't especially difficult or random. Finding and robbing Marlboros is a real pain though.

@rvone: Nope, Selphie's limit break is the only way to use The End, so it is 100% luck based. That's not to say that there isn't a way to cheese The End, but you can't just find it in the world as a regular spell. I think I'm going to kill the Weapons either way because screw those things.

Good, sounds good!

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 thatpinguino  Staff

@rvone: Be sure to tune into the community endurance run! We have many fine duders panning all sorts of game-related shenanigans. I'll do my part by killing some big FF8 baddies

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

sounds like you should skip the GFs then

Good luck and have fun man!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.