Why can't I upgrade certain characters weapons?

#1 Edited by LostRebel (111 posts) -

Like I can't get the Cutting Trigger (400) or the Flame Saber (600) for Squall or the Flail (100) & Morning Star (200) for Selphie, but I have 73800 Gil? Why can't I buy them, yet I can buy the Maverick (200) for Zell and the Valkyrie (200) for Rinoa?

#2 Posted by EuanDewar (4749 posts) -

Don't you have to have certain materials to make them in addition to the money? Hell I don't fucking know, I played that game like 10 years ago. I should really go to sleep now. Properly.

#3 Posted by LostRebel (111 posts) -
@EuanDewar: How do you get materials?
#4 Edited by Beforet (2912 posts) -

Da, you need to grind a certain amount of specific items. You can find what you need in the weapon magazine's in game. Couldn't tell you what those weapons need though, haven't played in ages.

Edit: They usually drop from monsters, but they can also be mugged and I guess morphed from other items. You'll need to read a guide to find the specifics experiment.

#5 Posted by LostRebel (111 posts) -
@Beforet said:

Da, you need to grind a certain amount of specific items. You can find what you need in the weapon magazine's in game. Couldn't tell you what those weapons need though, haven't played in ages.

Edit: They usually drop from monsters, but they can also be mugged and I guess morphed from other items. You'll need to read a guide to find the specifics experiment.

Like what monsters drop what?
#6 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2193 posts) -
#7 Posted by Toms115 (2316 posts) -

gotta get dat material

#8 Posted by gla55jAw (2686 posts) -

@LostRebel said:

@Beforet said:

Like what monsters drop what?

You're killing me, Smalls...Maybe I'll put together a complete Final Fantasy VIII weapon upgrade guide in the next day or 2. It really depends what part of the game you're at and what locations you can go to. Try that gamefaq first. It might take me a while to put my first guide together and dig through the strategy guide.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.