Final Fantasy X-2: why it's not as bad as everyone says.

#1 Posted by without_substance (31 posts) -

Now granted, the game wasn't great. The story was stupid and it was way too camp for its own good, but it's not as terrible as people say. Technically it was fine, it looked just as great as Final Fantasy X and it played alright, I even liked how it compensated for the low number of playable characters with the whole 'costume' system, and part of me even preferred it because it meant you didn't feel obligated to level up seven different characters in case the story split your party up at some point and forced you to play with characters that you don't usually use.

People who say that the game ruins the ending of the first game don't know what they're talking about. If you've played X-2 all the way to the end you'll realise that the game doesn't spoil, contradict or alter anything in Final Fantasy X's story. There's no Tidus, there's no Sin, there's no Yu Yevon, in fact the only slight discrepancy is that there are Aeons even though the Fayth have left. All Final Fantasy X-2 does is suggest that there is life after the events of FFX, whether the continuation of Yuna's life needs to be told is, well, another argument, but since nothing in FFX-2 has any bearing on the story of the previous game, and in fact has no bearing on much of anything since the antagonist in the game is ridiculous and the game ends with the characters being in the exact same state as they were in the beginning, I don't think it deserves all the hate that it's been getting. The game's not that bad, it may suffer from a poor story, but the game play, visuals and to some extent, characters, are enough to deem it an 'okay' game.

Does the story suck? Yes.
Is the game bad? No.
Does the game defile its predecessor? Hell no.

I agree, to some extent, with the people who think this game should have never been made, but only in the sense that FFX was a great game and didn't need anything added to it, and even though a 'sequel' exists I still think of it as being a singular, complete game. FFX-2 gains nothing from being set in Spira and having Yuna and Rikku as returning characters, and if the developers had set it in a different world and had thrown in some original characters I think it would have been a fine game. It still wouldn't have been as good as FFX, but it'd be a decent RPG without any of the baggage and hate.

#2 Edited by DualReaver (3882 posts) -

It made a mockery of my favourite game's storyline. And heads up, you get to watch a scene where Yuna and Tidus are reunited if you beat it 100%.

#3 Posted by Sincillian (530 posts) -

I don't think it's as bad as everyone says. I enjoyed it but the story sucked. Final Fantasy X is one of my favorite games, and for X-2 while I like the fact there's a continuation doesn't live up to FFX. The game only fails in story but excels in everything else. I

#4 Posted by without_substance (31 posts) -
DualReaver said:
"It made a mockery of my favourite game's storyline. And heads up, you get to watch a scene where Yuna and Tidus are reunited if you beat it 100%."

The 'secret ending' is just fan service for people who enjoyed the relationship between Yuna and Tidus in FFX, and, to me at least, is just a little bit of bonus content and isn't supposed to factor into the game proper. Though, admittedly, anyone who’s enough of a fan to get 100% complete in FFX-2 would have preferred to preserve the ending of the first game. I'll put that down to poor judgement on the part of the developers.

It didn’t make a mockery of anything. Considering that it’s set in the same world and features many of the same characters, there’s surprisingly little reference to the events of FFX. Take away a couple of flashbacks and internal monologues from Yuna and it’s a separate game.

#5 Posted by Bear (247 posts) -

I still have yet to finish X-2. I've spent about 80+ hours on X. Something about X-2 just really does not want me to play it. It's like slapping a huge "DO NOT PLAY" stick on the front of the case; except the sticker is invisible.

#6 Edited by DualReaver (3882 posts) -

 How the fuck do you go from defeating Sin to being a pop singer? Like what fuck happened thar? A little mini-game where you have to massage that bad girl's back? Really?

I agree, this plays like a totally separate game and that's the problem. They should've used entirely separate characters placed in the FFX universe instead of completely destroying Yuna's character. I do think it's kind of neat to be able to see what the world is like post-Sin and see what happened to everyone, but that could've been easily accomplished with new characters.

#7 Posted by brukaoru (5079 posts) -
DualReaver said:
"I agree this plays like a totally separate game and that's the problem. They should've used entirely separate characters placed in the FFX universe instead of completely destroying Yuna's character. I do think it's kind of neat to be able to see what the world is like post-Sin and see what happened to everyone, but that could've been easily accomplished with new characters."
 I agree! I really hated the way they changed her character. I don't know what they were thinking! Ugh.

I really don't like multiple endings, either. Usually I view multiple endings as a "cop out" because the developers just want to please everyone instead of just sticking to one direction. Although there are some games that I don't mind various endings, or rather, I can see where they make sense, but I don't think this was a game that should of had them. There were only a few saving graces with FFX-2. I liked the battle system and a few new characters were interesting, but I would have rather had them not make the sequel at all.
#8 Posted by DualReaver (3882 posts) -

I agree completely with the multiple endings. I understand how this can be seen as fan service but to me it's like they're completely trivializing the events of the first game.

#9 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6106 posts) -
DualReaver said:
" How the fuck do you go from defeating Sin to being a pop singer? Like what fuck happened thar? A little mini-game where you have to massage that bad girl's back? Really?

I agree, this plays like a totally separate game and that's the problem. They should've used entirely separate characters placed in the FFX universe instead of completely destroying Yuna's character. I do think it's kind of neat to be able to see what the world is like post-Sin and see what happened to everyone, but that could've been easily accomplished with new characters."

I'm with Dual on this one.  The combat and the costume system were interesting, and I like the job idea in theory.  But some of the tasks were incredibly silly, the plot was terrible, and the characters were awful.  A pop singer?  Really?

It's not a terrible game, nor is it a broken one.  I'll agree with the original poster on that.  But solid technical aspects and decent customization don't make for a winning game alone.  Even unrelated to FFX, the story was horrid enough that the thought of more playthroughs just turned me away.
Moderator Online
#10 Posted by without_substance (31 posts) -

To be honest, the thing about the story that irritates me the most isn't the fact that she ends up being a singer, I mean what else is a moderately attractive girl with no discernible talents supposed to do with her free time, but it's the whole idea of someone coming back from the dead just because they dislike the state that the world has got in to, so they can destroy it and start again. I mean forget about cliché, that's just plain retarded.

I wouldn't mind seeing square implement the sphere/costume system in some of their future games, maybe even in conjunction with the sphere grid from FFX.

#11 Posted by jangofett88 (324 posts) -

I agree. The gameplay mechanics were interesting and different enough from FFX to make the game entertaining, but the story and probably the pacing as well were where it fell apart for me. I mean, going with an open ended approach instead of a linear one turned the bulk of the game into 'Mass Effect' style sidequests.

#12 Posted by Coltonio7 (3156 posts) -

I don't know what people have against the game. I loved it! One of the best in the series if you asked me. I even managed to look past the story! (( Which wasn't that bad -_- ))

#13 Posted by gla55jAw (2687 posts) -

The game was fun. I remember having a lot of fun with the shooting range game. Although I never finished it, one day i'll go back.

#14 Posted by PureRok (4235 posts) -

The only reason I would consider getting this game is to dress Rikku up in all of the different costumes.

#15 Posted by SamFo (1526 posts) -

I really liked the game, my only problem was that for an FF game it was super short

#16 Posted by LCad (269 posts) -
DualReaver said:
"I agree completely with the multiple endings. I understand how this can be seen as fan service but to me it's like they're completely trivializing the events of the first game."
I feel exactly the same way.
#17 Posted by hazelnutman (1097 posts) -

The percentage system is rediculous. You can't skip cutscenes, have to do rediculous things you would never be able to find without a guide, and you have all of these rules and stupid things attached. For example, you have to press X to whistle in a cutscene to get the good ending? WHAT THE CRAP?!

However, call me crazy, but this game had my favorite FF gameplay. It was the perfect blend of strategy and fast paced tactics. My favorite Final Fantasy game play wise so far.

#18 Edited by reflekshun (217 posts) -

The problem isn't that its an 'okay' game. The problem is that its a final fantasy title and a sequel to a much loved game that is 'okay'. I think thats why people get frustrated or angry while trying out this game. I was dissapointed in the game rather than angry. 

Even though I expected something very girly and easy going, I was overwhelmed by the levels these were taken to, and how roughly produced the game was relative to FFX (just start with the voice overs hehe).  I suspect the Japanese version had much better overdubs. 

Anyways, I'm happy for anyone who enjoyed this! I enjoyed it somewhat, but stopped playing because it was starting to destroy the beautiful memories i had of the world of FFX hehe!
#19 Edited by SolemnOaf (535 posts) -

FF-X2 is terrible.  It is an abomination.  It is an affront to man, beast, and god.  If there were one thing blamed for the inevitable downfall of civilization, humanity and social conscience, it would be FF-X2.
This thread is an excersize in futility.  The next time you feel inclined to display apologetic prostration before the Final Fantasy franchise, do it before your homemade shrine to Squeenix, not on the internet where people will ridicule you for your ridiculous opinions. 
That is all.

#20 Posted by SolemnOaf (535 posts) -

Perhaps I may have expressed my disain for this thread a little too succinctly.  When one installment is responsible for my disinterest of an entire series that at one point was my favorite in all of gaming though, I'll feel free to express my opinion when apologists seek to downplay the atrociousness of that specific installment, which is what this thread is, and what I've done. 
You got a problem?  Let me know, don't just give me negatives from the safety of your end of the internet, coward.

#21 Posted by AuthenticM (3700 posts) -

The gameplay is the best in the entire series.

#22 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (4777 posts) -

Let alone FFX was crap FFX2 was omega crap it was the first sequal ever in a series that was never to have sequals, it took characters and story from FFX and made them crappier then they all ready were.

Yuna was a reserved prude of a priestess then in X-2 she turns into a gun toting WHORE wearing next to nothing.

#23 Posted by reflekshun (217 posts) -

Lol one thing Final Fantasy is always good for - imbuing people with very strong opinions.

#24 Posted by OfficialJab (151 posts) -

It ruins my favourite thing about the Final Fantasy series: music. What a horrible soundtrack. Gawd.

#25 Posted by Balls (526 posts) -

yeah, that's true. I think one of the worst things about the Jap culture is the Jap-pop. It's horribly annoying. unless it's in Ouendan.

#26 Posted by dagas (2753 posts) -

Sorry for posting in this long dead thread, but I agree with the OP. I really liked the combat as it was fast paced (fastest paced combat up until that point) and I liked the dress sphere system a lot. Being able to change on the fly and not just get other skills like in FF13, but also a new look. I'm so tired of characters in JRPG's always wearing the same thing all game (do they never need to wash their clothes?). At least in many WRPG's your look changes depending on what gear you have instead of just the weapon changing as in most JRPGs. Too bad the rest of the game was no good. It really felt like an expansion (in a bad way) or a rushed sequel (which it was).

#27 Edited by GunslingerPanda (4646 posts) -

Pfft, X-2 was great if you weren't trying to put on a fake macho front. 
 
Shit, just saw how old this thread was. Apologies for contributiong to the necromancy.

#28 Posted by Hailinel (23978 posts) -
@GunslingerPanda said:
" Pfft, X-2 was great if you weren't trying to put on a fake macho front.  Shit, just saw how old this thread was. Apologies for contributiong to the necromancy. "
I despise that game, and it's not because I'm trying to be macho.  It's because I feel that it shits on everything that FFX established.
Online
#29 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4646 posts) -
@Hailinel said:
" @GunslingerPanda said:
" Pfft, X-2 was great if you weren't trying to put on a fake macho front.  Shit, just saw how old this thread was. Apologies for contributiong to the necromancy. "
I despise that game, and it's not because I'm trying to be macho.  It's because I feel that it shits on everything that FFX established. "
How? 
 
FFX is probably my favourite FF, so genuinely interested to hear why you think this.
#30 Posted by mutha3 (4985 posts) -

Best modern Final Fantasy by a landslide.

#31 Posted by Hailinel (23978 posts) -
@GunslingerPanda said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @GunslingerPanda said:
" Pfft, X-2 was great if you weren't trying to put on a fake macho front.  Shit, just saw how old this thread was. Apologies for contributiong to the necromancy. "
I despise that game, and it's not because I'm trying to be macho.  It's because I feel that it shits on everything that FFX established. "
How?  FFX is probably my favourite FF, so genuinely interested to hear why you think this. "
Basically by taking established characters and reducing them to caricatures of themselves, or pushing them in directions that don't seem particularly natural.  As an example, I found Rikku particularly insufferable, as she seemed to develop some sort of crack cocaine addiction since Final Fantasy X ended and would simply not stop being a spaz.  Then there was that one minor character from FFX (can't remember his name) who when he shows up in X-2 is suddenly using a Game Show Host Voice to promote what had become a tourist attraction.  What the hell?
 
And then there's the actual game's structure, where completion percentage is based on the performance of the largest series of inane, obscure tasks and completion of absurd minigames.  I'm all for games that have a sense of humor, but FFX-2 takes things too far from the tone established in FFX.  It's like following up The Godfather with a sequel not like The Godfather II, but like Johnny Dangerously.
Online
#32 Posted by Marz (5646 posts) -

The combat system was actually decent.

#33 Posted by Marcsman (3126 posts) -

It was the herald of the decline of the Final franchise. IMO
#34 Posted by glorious_leader (107 posts) -

FFX had a death metal intro song.  I was captivated from the very beginning, to the very end.  This actually made me feel like Asian culture wasn't so pussified, even.  As soon as FFX-2 opened up with some kind of J-pop parody of this, I knew I was heading into tragedy, and that Japanese culture is in fact, fucked.
 
The battle system made combat fun, exceptionally fun, I might say.  The stat system was pretty cool, too, what with the learning new skills as you play a job, which you can ultimately master.  Everything else about the game was a train wreck, however.

#35 Posted by Mesoian (1574 posts) -
@Balls:  Which is nothing more than a "Best of..." album of j-pop. 
 
@glorious_leader:   It's kind of really hilarious that the version of that song is rarely heard of outside that game. There is a j-pop version, and that is the version I hear everywhere.
 
Too bad too. Uverworld isn't bad.
#36 Edited by glorious_leader (107 posts) -
@Mesoian:  The Black Mages' cover of Otherworld is usually heard when the song is looked up.  Bill Muir, the vocalist who performs on the song, led a band that broke up before FFX's release, and someone at Square got their last demo, and brought Bill Muir in to record Otherworld.  But their band never got back together, so that's why you never heard about a band that got any publicity from that song's inclusion in the game.
 
If I worked for Square, I would've kept him in the sound department.  Seems like he could've come in handy when making music for tribal warrior themed characters and whatnot.
#37 Posted by Mesoian (1574 posts) -
@glorious_leader said:

" @Mesoian:  The Black Mages' cover of Otherworld is usually heard when the song is looked up.  Bill Muir, the vocalist who performs on the song, led a band that broke up before FFX's release, and someone at Square got their last demo, and brought Bill Muir in to record Otherworld.  But their band never got back together, so that's why you never heard about a band that got any publicity from that song's inclusion in the game.  If I worked for Square, I would've kept him in the sound department.  Seems like he could've come in handy when making music for tribal warrior themed characters and whatnot. "

Right, the band was Nightmare.  
 
But THIS is the one I hear everywhere.
  
#38 Posted by skrutop (3615 posts) -

The biggest problem with FFX-2 is that it carried a lot of preconceptions and baggage because it reused characters from one of the best FF games.  Had it been a completely new world, with new characters, people wouldn't have hated it so much.  The story was really stupid, but I absolutely loved combat in that game.  It was fun and fast-paced (for an RPG), and the dress sphere system worked really, really well.

#39 Posted by Mesoian (1574 posts) -

If you can allow your mind to disassociate the story of FF10-2 from FF10 for a little while and just consider them as two stories, rather than the continuation of one longer story, FF10-2 is quite enjoyable. It's cute, like Jem and the Starlights from the 80's. It's not nearly as good as 10's story, but it's still fun and enjoyable. Like a summer movie for kids.
 
And the game is good, so that helps it be palatable.

#40 Posted by Garfy (55 posts) -

There is a scene after the credits of FFX that shows tidus coming back, they shouldm't have made it so difficult to trigger that in X-2 tho. 
 
Also, how many times did I hear that music trying to beat the final boss of X?
#41 Posted by Mesoian (1574 posts) -
@Garfy said:
" There is a scene after the credits of FFX that shows tidus coming back, they shouldm't have made it so difficult to trigger that in X-2 tho.  Also, how many times did I hear that music trying to beat the final boss of X? "
It wasn't that difficult. All you needed to do was beat the game twice. There's a decision you can make where you choose which faction you want to belong to. Play through once going one way and once going the other. It gives your file 101.4%, which will get you the true ending. 
 
You COULD do the 100 floor dungeon, but you don't HAVE to.
#42 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4646 posts) -
@Hailinel said:
" @GunslingerPanda said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @GunslingerPanda said:
" Pfft, X-2 was great if you weren't trying to put on a fake macho front.  Shit, just saw how old this thread was. Apologies for contributiong to the necromancy. "
I despise that game, and it's not because I'm trying to be macho.  It's because I feel that it shits on everything that FFX established. "
How?  FFX is probably my favourite FF, so genuinely interested to hear why you think this. "
Basically by taking established characters and reducing them to caricatures of themselves, or pushing them in directions that don't seem particularly natural.  As an example, I found Rikku particularly insufferable, as she seemed to develop some sort of crack cocaine addiction since Final Fantasy X ended and would simply not stop being a spaz.  Then there was that one minor character from FFX (can't remember his name) who when he shows up in X-2 is suddenly using a Game Show Host Voice to promote what had become a tourist attraction.  What the hell?
 
And then there's the actual game's structure, where completion percentage is based on the performance of the largest series of inane, obscure tasks and completion of absurd minigames.  I'm all for games that have a sense of humor, but FFX-2 takes things too far from the tone established in FFX.  It's like following up The Godfather with a sequel not like The Godfather II, but like Johnny Dangerously. "
Hmm, I never liked Rikku that much for those reasons even in X. As for Yuna's dramatic change, well, the world didn't need her to save it any more is the excuse the game gave. Not the best excuse, but I was fine with her. She didn't even seem that different to me aside from the obvious pop singer thing. I disagree on the tone, I thought it was similar enough.
#43 Posted by Mesoian (1574 posts) -

I think people forget that Yuna ISN'T the girl in the intro. Her personality doesn't change that much, she's just more action oriented rather than sitting on her laurels and letting summons fight.

#44 Posted by Hailinel (23978 posts) -
@GunslingerPanda:  In what ways was the tone similar?  X-2 had more in common with Charlie's Angels than FFX.
Online
#45 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4646 posts) -
@Hailinel: Well, it was the same world, just different times. The giant panic over Sin had gone, so it wasn't quite as bleak. It was like an apple; X had green skin and X-2 had red, but they still had pips in the centre. 
 
Metaphor.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.