Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy X

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Jul 19, 2001

The first Final Fantasy game for the PlayStation 2 brought cinematic quality to the series with voice acting and fully 3D environments. The story follows Tidus, a young man transported one thousand years into the future to find a world quite unlike his own.

Final Fantasy X or Skies of Arcadia?

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By galiant

So Final Fantasy X is one of my favorite games of all time. It was the first Final Fantasy game I played, and because of it I've played almost every Final Fantasy game to date.

I have a friend who's very much into games, but never played a single Final Fantasy game for some reason. Our taste in games seemed fairly similar up until now. So I decided that I should introduce him to Final Fantasy, by letting him play through Final Fantasy X.

...and he hated it! All the while playing it, he kept going on and on about how Skies of Arcadia was so much better than Final Fantasy X in every way. He did finish it though, took him about 40 hours. Has anyone here played these two games? I wouldn't mind a second or third opinion.

Is Skies of Arcadia as good as he says it is, or is he just being overzealous...? If Skies of Arcadia is that much better than Final Fantasy X, I'm obviously going to have to try it out. Are the differences really that major...? I find it difficult to see Final Fantasy X as "bad" next to any game!

I appreciate any input on this.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Meowayne

Your friend approached that game with a preset opinion and then just looked for things that reinforce that opinion. There's a name for such behaviour: It's called "gaming journalism".

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By oldschool

I regret never getting Skies of Arcadia.  I really want it as it looks great and a lot of people lve it.  Being an RPG gamer, it was a mistake of mine not to get it, but even 2nd hand, if you can find it, it is too expensive (in Australia anyway).  That being said, I loved FFX.  No way I will accept that it is bad compared to anything.

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Bigandtasty

Skies is good but not as good as he says it is (though I feel FFX is only moderately better than Skies), it's probably just the "first RPG effect" that's making him say that.

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By zityz

Skies is good for the fact its one of a kind. I actually need to get my copy of it back so i can play it again.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By JJOR64

In my opinion, Dragon Quest 8 is way better then both of those games.

thefreshmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By thefreshmaker

I played Skies of Arcadia well before FFX, and while I love both of those games, your friend is crazy.  FFX is definitely the better game, (and the best Final Fantasy) but its also not for everyone.

Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Steve_C

FFX is my favourite game, so it's always wierd to see people hate on it or dismiss it's merits completely.

Never played Skies of Arcadia myself, but i imagine he enjoyed it so much that he can't put it aside and is just hating on everything else on principle.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ryanwho

I liked Skies better, for a couple reasons. The lead character wasn't a douchebag, it had Suikoden like recruiting elements (but only about 30 recruits or so, which is more reasonable), the characters in general just had more personality, there's a ton of optional shit to discover, and I love how the battle music changed based on circumstance. The music you hear when you start kicking ass might be my favorite game track of all time, it never fails to pump me up especially if the transition is from the track you hear when you're struggling. It sounds like a minor thing but it did a lot. Its really the only game to do sky pirates right. And SE's noticed; FF: CC: Crystal Bearers despite its retardedly long name completely reeks of SOA's influence.

Kiemoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By Kiemoe

I never played Skies, so disregard my opinion. 

Final Fantasy X is my favorite game of all time. You can't dislike it, unless you have no soul.

Fanboying aside, I'll have to check out Skies. Judging from the posts, Skies is, at it's worst, capable of holding a candle to FFX. In my book, that means that's a damn fine game.
    killdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By killdave

Skies was an awesome game that I'm very glad I got to play and complete.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Akeldama
    @Galiant: i doubt he hated it if he sunk 40+ hours into it AND finished it. 
    mattdragn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mattdragn

Having played both games I would say that they both have merit in different areas. Final fantasy X has the polish and in my opinion the superior characters, whilst Skies has a superior battle system, and a far more interesting world. The sound tracks are pretty much dead even, both being fantastic. Both are phenominal last gen rpgs, and if I had to tip the hat to one I would say FFX, but that may just be because I played FFX before Skies, and have grown to really care for all the characters in that game.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By GunslingerPanda

I've played both. IMO, FFX was great, SoA was horrible garbage. Both suck compared to Tales of Symphonia, though.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#15  Edited By Video_Game_King

I'd go with FF10, but only because it's the only one of those I've played.

PK_Koopa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By PK_Koopa

Skies of Arcadia was vastly superior to FFX. Sure, I enjoyed FFX, and your friend may have been slightly too harsh for hating it, but I can't say that I disagree with him about SOA being better.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.