Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy X

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Jul 19, 2001

The first Final Fantasy game for the PlayStation 2 brought cinematic quality to the series with voice acting and fully 3D environments. The story follows Tidus, a young man transported one thousand years into the future to find a world quite unlike his own.

Revisited: Final Fantasy X -- PS2 (Part 1)

Faint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Edited By Faint

So far I've spent 30 hours this past week playing and leveling in Final Fantasy X, what I consider to be one of the greatest console games of all time. The graphics may be 10 years old, the turn based game play may be a bit tedious now, but in my opinion the game still holds up quite well. I'm currently situated in the Calm Lands, have the first 5 aeons, all of the Al Behd primers and won the Blitz tournament against the Luca Goers. I've been creating a Blitzball team before I start to play intensely in the league competition, leveling up. At the moment, my team I am building consists of: 

RF - Linna; LF - Tidus; MF - Brother; LB - Ropp

I'm still carrying Jassu and Keepa in the team for the time being, but I am planning on grabbing Zev Ronso and Wedge from Luca when I can use the airship shortly (kicking myself I didn't pick them up for the team whilst I was still in Luca near the start of the game!) 

Not a whole lot more to say right now. The story plays out fantastically and is among my favorites in gaming. I'm enjoying the toned down nature of the characters compared to the modern Final Fantasy J-POP character atrocities we are faced with today. I guess the passiveness of a lot of the characters is due to the ongoing and burdening threat of Sin on the world, but it works well towards a Western audience in my opinion. The characters aren't overly flamboyant. As soon as I can get back to Luca I will be playing an excessive amount of blitzball and will probably blog later on about that, as well as the rest of the game to come (there is about 10 more hours to the end of the game without blitzball, so I'm getting close :) 

That's all for now. PS2 yeee yeeeeeee

Faint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Faint

So far I've spent 30 hours this past week playing and leveling in Final Fantasy X, what I consider to be one of the greatest console games of all time. The graphics may be 10 years old, the turn based game play may be a bit tedious now, but in my opinion the game still holds up quite well. I'm currently situated in the Calm Lands, have the first 5 aeons, all of the Al Behd primers and won the Blitz tournament against the Luca Goers. I've been creating a Blitzball team before I start to play intensely in the league competition, leveling up. At the moment, my team I am building consists of: 

RF - Linna; LF - Tidus; MF - Brother; LB - Ropp

I'm still carrying Jassu and Keepa in the team for the time being, but I am planning on grabbing Zev Ronso and Wedge from Luca when I can use the airship shortly (kicking myself I didn't pick them up for the team whilst I was still in Luca near the start of the game!) 

Not a whole lot more to say right now. The story plays out fantastically and is among my favorites in gaming. I'm enjoying the toned down nature of the characters compared to the modern Final Fantasy J-POP character atrocities we are faced with today. I guess the passiveness of a lot of the characters is due to the ongoing and burdening threat of Sin on the world, but it works well towards a Western audience in my opinion. The characters aren't overly flamboyant. As soon as I can get back to Luca I will be playing an excessive amount of blitzball and will probably blog later on about that, as well as the rest of the game to come (there is about 10 more hours to the end of the game without blitzball, so I'm getting close :) 

That's all for now. PS2 yeee yeeeeeee

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By keyhunter

Hah! I looove aaaaanimeeee ^_^

Faint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Faint
    @dudeglove:  Strangely enough, despite my complaint about the J-POP characterisation evident in the Final Fantasy games today, I think Tidus's design is one of the best in the series. There's something about that, although his outfit is outrageous, it seems to fit and doesn't seem over the top. I think the problem with Final Fantasy costume designs is they are just ridiculous fantasy designs that don't have any means of explanation to why the character is wearing what they are wearing. The Al Behd in the game do somewhat I guess, but in most FF games you don't. The only exception I can think of is the old knight-style armour evident in versions like Final Fantasy IV.
    Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Godwind
    @dudeglove: 

I think Tidus was there for the women more than the men.  I remember playing the game and my Sister and my Mother goggling over how gorgeous he was.

I liked Final Fantasy X, but after that one, it seemed to loose it all together.  The main series came at the first site of rejection.  I didn't want Final Fantasy 11 to be an online game.   Then there was the issue that that Final Fantasy 12 wasn't compatible with my standard Sony issued Playstation 2 controller.  I even bought a brand new controller and that didn't work.  It seems the shit hit the fan when Square and Enix merged.  That isn't to say that everything Square Enix has produced sucked.  But they are good at ruining a good thing.  I enjoyed Final Fantasy Tactics Advance and FF: Crystal Chronicles.  But then games like My life as a King comes out as some obscene way of chugging loot out your wallet or Life as a Darklord which is sold in bits and pieces.  Basically trying to sell a $10 game as a $50 game.  Why not sell it to me as a freakin' disc based game if you really want to sell the goddamn game.
    feargalr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By feargalr

I just finished my replay of this yesterday, fantastic game, though Id prefer a bit more free roaming in the game, soundtrack is fantastic

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By AuthenticM

One of the greatest games of all time. Its only fault is its main protagonist.

Avatar image for christiancastillo
    ChristianCastillo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By ChristianCastillo

I loved this game, however that final boss was fucking insane.  Never could finish it >:(

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By laserbolts
    In my opinion the last great final fantasy game. I played the shit out of it. Got all the weapons and the magus sisters. I think they were called the magus sisters.
    galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#10  Edited By galiant

Man, reading this makes me feel so bummed that my backwards compatible PS3 bit the dust...I really need to get a PS2 one of these days.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.