Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XI Online

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released May 16, 2002

Players from across the globe enter the world of Vana'diel for a Final Fantasy adventure in the series' first foray into the MMORPG genre.

Final Fantasy XI is winding down

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Belegorm

I have to admit, I was bawling like a kid earlier, when I read the news that FFXI is going to have one final storyline to wrap up by November, after which content updates will cease and it'll go into maintenance mode, just balance changes and bugfixes. They're going to release a mobile spinoff game (Japan only), and (weirdly enough), they're going to work with Nexon of all companies, to port FFXI to mobile as well (presumably making it F2P). But I have no clue how that would work because, it's not like the game is getting new content or anything so playing the game on an ipad sounds... less than promising.

Source

For me personally, this is heartbreaking (especially as I returned to the game like 5 days ago!). Good things can't last forever, and one would expect an old MMO like this to start dying eventually, but it's still really sad. At least the game will not be offline for a few years, and they're going through this about as well as you could hope for (no Star Wars Galaxies or City of Heroes fiasco, luckily). The consensus seems to be that it's really sad that it's happening, but one of the better ways to do it. Though for me, I really didn't see this coming. There have been fairly sizable updates to the game monthly for a while now, the game just had a new expansion come out a couple years ago that really mixed things up, there have been a lot of quality of life improvements and the game has been made a lot friendlier for new people. I would've expected them to switch to smaller updates every 3-6 months for another couple of years before starting the beginning of the end, but what do I know.

The real sad part for me (and probably for many other people who still want to play MMO's), is there's no where to go really. I mean people like myself who played on and off for years still have plenty of existing things to do, storylines to go through (FFXI expansion storylines were actually really enjoyable, and I usually dislike FF stories), more weapons and gear to get. The game has a very complex gear swapping system which lets the progression be very horizontal as you do content from years and years ago for situational pieces of gear. No 2 people really look alike (except for the people that have been hardcore since the beginning and they're rare). The community is older and more mature than that of most MMO's. Most of them aren't really hardcore gamers, many only play FFXI. The majority of players played FF games growing up and transitioned into FFXI in their teenaged years. Eventually more and more people are going to get just about everything you can get (hell, some people have practically done that now on the game's 22 jobs), and it'll become a ghost town.

I know someone's going to say "well hey man, if you like that game so much, you can go play a really new FF MMO, FFXIV! It's great, and a lot of people play it!" The problem for me is that it's a really, really different kind of game than FFXI. I played a decent portion through FFXIV 1.0 (ugh), and a good amount of FFXIV 2.0. In my own opinion, 1.0 was a good idea executed terribly. 2.0 was a poor idea executed really well. At its heart 1.0 had a lot of systems, and a style of combat that was similar to FFXI, but a bit too fast, and the game ultimately ran like crap. 2.0 is very much the post-WoW MMO, where instead of grouping up with people to go out and get something done, most of the time it's faster to just do it solo. It's hard to find shout groups, and while the dungeon finder thing is convenient, it's cross-server so you'll never see the people you meet again. The combat is very fast, and you have a bajillion hotbars across your screen and gameplay consists of setting your face on one side of the keyboard, and rolling it to the other side. Oh yeah, also the game is so fast paced that if you play on pad as a healer or tank you're probably at a disadvantage. It's also impossible to strategise during combat unless you have voice chat since it's so fast. I don't hate FFXIV or anything, but it's very much a post-WoW MMO where you want to hit a ton of buttons all the time. Not to mention the hard content is hard not because you're good at your job, but because everyone managed to dodge the red circles successfully. But I digress.

EVE Online sounds to me like the closest thing in terms of combat pace. It's slower, more methodical, the community isn't your typical modern MMO crowd, and it's been around for a long time. However the real heart of the game seems to be about this kind of metagame that I'm not incredibly interested in, and also I don't like the setting as much. I think I have a plex sitting in my ship though so I might try it out.

Also the kind of personal reason I ended up liking FFXI so much was the Puppetmaster job. Always broken, always lagging behind other jobs. But it was really unique in MMO's and really fun to play. The idea of having this customisable puppet that can act as a white mage, a black mage, a ranger, a paladin, or a monk is really incredible. My Comedie was my companion through a lot of stuff as I did what you could solo.

For me now I want to see the end of Vana'diel, but at the same time everything I accomplish in the game in the traditional MMO sense of getting better gear to get better, seems less meaningful. If anything I want to finish the major expansion storylines and do random stuff with people to make some more memories. FFXIV or EVE are the most likely places for me to go from here (or just devote all my time to fighting games lol), but nothing can really replace FFXI. For all I know I might just run around the world using the game as a virtual chat room. Who knows. Maybe I'll stream randomly.

I think in the coming months a lot of players are going to quit early because they won't have much to look forward to, but also a lot of players that haven't played in months or years will come back to see what is pretty much going to be the end. If you ever played FFXI before, and want to see it with people, now would be the last chance. My character's name is Lisotte, and my world is Sylph, so if you want to join me in seeing the beginning of the end you can join me.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

You seem very ill informed about FFXIV.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@demoskinos: I have played a decent amount of it. I've got a BRD, a WHM, and a SCH at 50, and at the point when I left off last fall I was up to date with all the gear for those jobs with the exception of Coil gear, not because I don't like challenging content, but I don't like how FFXIV's content is challenging.

You can't seriously tell me that FFXIV isn't the WoW formula, albeit polished and executed brilliantly, rather than the followup to FFXI. I had a free company (mostly FFXI refugees), but we had an odd number of people so I wasn't able to be in one of their Coil statics. And everything else you either did solo, or just duty findered it. And for pretty much everything you needed to know to know what was up with that instance ahead of time, watching a youtube tutorial and what-not.

Avatar image for deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee
    deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The game has been out for 11 years.

It's had a great run, but most of the folks I know who played 11 now play 14.

That all said, the forcing to watch a video thing is an aftereffect of players now not being players from 11 years ago. I run the new content blind, but people have no patience for wipes anymore.

games didn't change. People did.

Plus, I'm with Demoskinos, you do seem misinformed as they've made changes snd the expansion seems to be going further in a "old school" direction.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@madman356647: Is it that much different from last fall? I really enjoyed the Crystal Tower stuff, it was a lot lower pressure than most of FFXIV's endgame, but you could only get a reward once a week and it was very much overshadowed by the Coil rewards (also IIRC the stuff you got wasn't much better than what you had before).

Is it possible to go into more endgame events with a different number of people than 4, 8, or 24?

Do DD's still have ridiculous long queues? I started playing a healer mostly because I wanted faster queues (also because BRD's are so incredibly boring to play and more rangers than bards).

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Zirilius

@belegorm said:

@demoskinos: I have played a decent amount of it. I've got a BRD, a WHM, and a SCH at 50, and at the point when I left off last fall I was up to date with all the gear for those jobs with the exception of Coil gear, not because I don't like challenging content, but I don't like how FFXIV's content is challenging.

You can't seriously tell me that FFXIV isn't the WoW formula, albeit polished and executed brilliantly, rather than the followup to FFXI. I had a free company (mostly FFXI refugees), but we had an odd number of people so I wasn't able to be in one of their Coil statics. And everything else you either did solo, or just duty findered it. And for pretty much everything you needed to know to know what was up with that instance ahead of time, watching a youtube tutorial and what-not.

As someone who has tried on multiple occasions to go back to XI I'm not saddened. I don't have the time or patience for a lot of what I enjoyed about that game when it was in its prime. There is a certain nostalgia associated with the game but the genre has evolved and going back feels somewhat archaic. FFXIV 1.0 tried to be the spiritual successor to XI but guess what? People hated it and hence ARR came about. I was one of the crazy few who liked 1.0 but this is not the venue to get into that. Not to make this a XIV thread but Party finder is your friend if you are looking to form parties that are server centric and don't use the Duty Finder it is the premier way to go. There is also a ton to do besides go to instance and kill a boss just like there was in XI. Especially now with the opening of Gold Saucer and chocobo raising.

I'll be curious as to what they do with the mobile versions more from an academic standpoint then anything else. I'll cherish my time with XI but I've moved on.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I got this game when it was new. I remember the World Pass system causing horseshit for me and my friends. I remember pulling goblins in the Dunes, and then you get a single add and that's a guaranteed wipe.

Fuckin' macros from hell to breakfast. "I'm casting [Fire] now!!!!!"

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Seikenfreak

Yea it is a shame. But for me, 11 has been like the old person barely hanging on and you go visit them in the senior citizen home maybe once a year. The gameplay isn't what it used to be because of dwindling numbers forcing them to make everything more solo friendly.

I was fully expecting them to be announcing full shut down as the last time I went and checked the game, it looked and felt like a ghost town. The last time I played it I went and solo'd through the rest of WotG missions, including all the boss fights. I'd really have loved for them to make a new server where everyone can start fresh and have it set in the pre-Seekers point in the games patch life.

FF14 is strongly holding my interest though. I do somewhat agree with your comparison and 14 is definitely not what 11 was.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Belegorm

@zirilius: Don't forget that 1.0 tried to be the spiritual successor but just failed terribly. It neither stuck to the FFXI formula enough, nor did it try to modernise enough either. It kept FFXI's UI and controls in a much faster game.

Also FFXI hasn't been the same game in a long time. It changed a great deal in Abyssea, that was probably the biggest change. Then there was a weird period after Aby that felt neither like Aby and its beginner friendliness, nor like pre-Aby hardcore times. Then Seekers of Adoulin came along and really mixed things up again, and while it had a rough beginning, the game seemed to be getting better constantly and I thought the game had a long road ahead of it.

At any rate I still need to catch up on storylines in FFXI, I started playing right before Abyssea and played on and off so I haven't finished Rise of the Zilart, Wings of the Goddess, or Seekers of Adoulin yet. Still some fun to be had.

Edit: @seikenfreak:

I agree, on my server it does feel a bit like a ghost town, but then again it's one of the smallest servers (Sylph). What I expected was them announcing server merges. But if you went to the endgame hubs you found people hanging out, making groups and going out and getting stuff done. We were just hoping for another merge so we could make it look full again.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@belegorm: Its inspired by modern MMO design, sure but your discounting a lot of things. First off having done all the content in the game outside of getting a win against Bahamut in the final raid of 2.0 I can clearly say that saying that the combat amounts to rolling your face across the keyboard and "nobody has to be good at their jobs" is incredibly false.

Yeah, a lot of the content now can be easily overgeared or is nerfed to make it more casually accessible but that is just kind of how MMO design goes now days. Eventually everything is nerfed so they can get the masses through the content.

A lot of the raid fights will kick your ass however if everyone isn't on point. If you're party isnt doing 2000dps for Turn 10 you aren't clearing it period. If your healers let people die the boss gets stacks and everyone in the party dies faster. If the tanks aren't positioning adds correctly? Everyone dies. Its a full party effort.

The game is structured to be a buffet of content for all skill types because unlike FF11 that kind of MMO isn't sustainable these days they need to have casual content to keep drawing in casual fans. That doesn't mean there isn't fun or challenge to be had in the game for serious players. And being someone who played 11 for a few years and has spent the last year playing XIV on the whole XIV is a much better designed, presented and rounded experience.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@belegorm said:

Agree with you here. I still like FF14, but it's mostly because I play with a group of friends.

FF11 was the most hardcore ass shit. I know I clocked in literal years worth of hours into that game. 2 I know for sure. But there's just not enough time in the day for that kind of game as you get older.

Loading Video...

"Because brother, when you were good, you were the best we had."

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
    deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is heartbreaking, but it at least means the game will be continuing on PC for at least another year, minimum. Seeing them create some sort of weird mobile port of it and a mobile FFXI spinoff makes me sad for what games have become, but what remains of FFXI will exist for long enough to see all that it has to offer for anyone interested.

I have over 400 hours clocked on FFXIV, and I like it. It's a good game. But it's not the same. It's world isn't as interesting. The combat and equipment systems having only a fraction of the depth. I completely understand what you mean about it, so don't worry.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@demoskinos: the face across keyboard comment was more about the breakneck speed you have to hit those rotations. And if you have to be better at your job great! But while I like that, I dislike doing that while also dodging a bunch of moves that can potentially oneshot you. It's that comparison of "everyone jumping rope together.". If 1 person makes a minor mistake it's a wipe.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@belegorm: Well, exactly. Teamwork needs to happen. People need to know what they are doing how how the fight mechanics work. Again, which is why i said that eventually all of these raids get nerfed for people who aren't into being on the cutting edge of content and don't like having to deal with that stuff. The latest raids are always going to be just that because its for groups that actively want to push themselves to the limits. If the fights didn't have complex mechanics that you had to layer on top of doing your rotations they would be incredibly incredibly boring.

SirFork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never played FF11, but it's always sad when an MMO starts to go though this phase. at least this seems like a dignified way to go. I really enjoy current FF14 and thought 1.0 was pretty garbage with a few neat ideas sprinkled about. Still I'd rather have FF11 and FF14 continue to exist together so people can have a choice to which one they'd rather play.

Avatar image for sir_loin_of_beef
    Sir_Loin_of_Beef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been playing FFXI since February of 2006, it's been a big part of my life ever since then and I've made a ton of friends and have had a lot of great experiences in the game. I actually archived almost all of the great times I had on VHS tapes (from 2006 to 2009) and have roughly 50 hours of unedited footage to help keep those great times and memories alive. I'll keep playing it till the very day that the server's go offline indefinitely. FFXI will never be dead to me.

Sirloinofbeef.

Asura server.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Belegorm

@demoskinos: It's not even just the cutting-edge content, where I left off, while most groups had SCOB on farm status, someone always messed up in the twintania groups I went with. Or getting one shot from dumb titan mechanics

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I have a question. Is it worth looking at as someone who never touched it? It came out when I wasn't playing MMOs, but now I've played almost every MMO in the past few years. I've enjoyed most MMOs, but have gotten used to the QOL upgrades that newer ones have (none of my friends play MMOs so group finders are key for me).

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

It's been a seriously long road. Feels like this thing's just kept quietly chugging along, popping out expansion after expansion. Never got into it myself, but I knew someone who was.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I really wish that I had gotten into this game back in it's prime, but I didn't have the ability to pay for it back then so I missed out on it. FFXI has always seemed like a game I would love but now that I do have the ability to play it, I just feel like it would be a waste of time now that the population has dwindled.

It will be a sad day when it finally shuts down, and even though I never played it past the trial, I'll definitely be sad to see it go.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Sad. One of my favorite games ever. I popped back in 2013 and enjoyed the content for a bit. But it wasn't like getting together a party of 5 to camp and grind for hours, or camping Vrtra or King Behemoth, farming God's in Sky for Kirin, etc.

I had a Dragoon, Bard, And Theif at max level.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@belegorm said:

@demoskinos: It's not even just the cutting-edge content, where I left off, while most groups had SCOB on farm status, someone always messed up in the twintania groups I went with. Or getting one shot from dumb titan mechanics

Well yeah, but that's to be expected. But if someone messes up/doesn't know the mechanics then teach them. Its not that hard to set aside a few minutes to get everyone on the same page. People in DF groups quit to easily and get frustrated after even one wipe.

StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me, FFXI peaked early in 2004 with CoP, and slowly went downhill thereafter.

But Vana'diel was vast, beautiful and intimidating. Valkurm Dunes, I'll miss ya.

Funkupotamous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played FFXI far more than any other mmorpg but I cannot fathom the patience required to go back into the game 10 or so years later. FFXIV was fun for the month I played, but for whatever reason it never felt like a Final Fantasy game to me.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By kasaioni
    No Caption Provided

As long as they keep in online for PC as long as possible. Besieged is still pretty fun, but really easy these days.

Kasaioni

Shiva server. (Originally fro Alexander before the server merge a few years ago).

Enns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I've no idea what FFXI became after I quit in '05 but I've always loved how everything you did was earned. Even getting to another city was an adventure.

Loading Video...

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kasaioni: Besieged is fun! I've had a problem over the years of hearing about it too late and arriving at the end :P

@enns: For sure, I'll never forget when a higher level RDM guided me and a friend to Jeuno for the first time, was quite the adventure. Stopped to fight a giant Marlboro along the way. Come to think of it, that guy really helped me a ton in that game, from unlocking a subjob, to unlocking PUP (which was what kept me coming back to the game even if the job was broken), to showing me around. MMO's need more people that are willing to spend time and effort helping new people out, without reward!

@strikealight: Wish I coulda been there in those days, but as a 13 year old I barely was able to convince my parents to let me post on message boards back then, let alone subscribe to a game (especially as I never got allowance, or did lawn mowing or anything). I love me some stories about the glory days, especially the newer player experience, I came in at the tail end of all that, late WotG era.

@barrock: I agree, it's a very different game. Still it's kind of who you play with, if you still have a bunch of buddies in the game then whatever you do will be fun.

@confusedowl: Probably is by this point, if you don't have much of a strong emotional connexion to the game. Though apparently there was an unofficial immigration of English speaking players to the Asura server and they have good numbers there. But after a lot of people come back for its swan song, there won't be people playing by December, if I had to guess.

@slyspider: Up until yesterday I'd have said yes, the game is still pretty unique, there's enough people playing, and the world is fascinating. But considering we're at the end of the game... really hard to justify diving into a game now. It's like Monster Hunter in the sense that you need people to guide you, and there's fewer and fewer of those people around.

@demoskinos: I wish that if one person makes a mistake though, that you can recover. Seems impossible. But anyway I'll give it another shot.

After I heard a friend was going back to FFXIV, I decided I'd also go back. See the new stuff, try and find other FFXI refugees, play at a more relaxed pace than before when I wanted to keep on top of current content. If anyone's on the Hyperion server, send me a tell, name's Lisotte Poena. BRD is really boring in that game so I'll probably keep on going with SCH but also try and get WHM to level cap. Kind of wanted to level MNK but I find the movement in the game kind of weird so needing to circle strafe would be annoying. Not to mention the solo grind, while queued as a DD.

My FC and LS seems dead, hopefully I can find one with helpful people, FFXI style. And I'll keep on chugging along in FFXI if I can find the time I guess.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@belegorm: That's because it was never scaled up in difficulty past abyssea. So level 8 invasions are a peace of cake. They start and end in minutes.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@belegorm said:

Kind of wanted to level MNK but I find the movement in the game kind of weird so needing to circle strafe would be annoying.

If you turn the movement scheme to "camera-relative" it makes it basically like FFXI, and if you turn on "automatically face target" then you can just move to whatever side of the target you need, then use an action without having to worry about facing it.

That can come with its own downsides (mostly when tanking, I guess?) but I know a lot of FFXI players who feel more at home with that configuration.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@belegorm said:

Kind of wanted to level MNK but I find the movement in the game kind of weird so needing to circle strafe would be annoying.

If you turn the movement scheme to "camera-relative" it makes it basically like FFXI, and if you turn on "automatically face target" then you can just move to whatever side of the target you need, then use an action without having to worry about facing it.

That can come with its own downsides (mostly when tanking, I guess?) but I know a lot of FFXI players who feel more at home with that configuration.

Ah true didn't think about that, what I do remember is starting to level MAR and some abilities I could use whatever direction, others I needed to aim, and it ended up looking like I'd have to make a lot more macros (I made a crapton of macros in FFXI but wasn't exactly my favourite part of the control scheme, apart from not having a bajillion skill bars on the screen).

I thought about it again and I guess the reason I disliked the way you kill things with BRD in that your heavy shot is practically a manually used auto-attack. You're just spamming that button over and over again, if you're not doing something else. Hopefully MNK is different? I think part of the reason I ended up as a SCH in FFXIV is how you aren't necessarily doing something every given moment (well actually maybe, in theory you could be going into cleric stance and zapping the boss). Might get my WHM to 50 just because I like the strategy of healing and the gameplay with mouse over heals, but don't like doing something every single moment. Not to mention fairy micromanagement's a bitch.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.