Final Fantasy XI, yes, ELEVEN, is getting a new expansion

#1 Edited by GalacticPunt (1080 posts) -

Square announced at their Fan Fest today that FF11 is getting a full expansion in 2013. This is like Chains of Promathia, Wings of the Goddess, etc... A proper expansion with new jobs, a bunch of new areas, and a storyline. This is TEN YEARS into the life of the MMO. "Seekers of Adoulin" CONFIRMED.

Weird narrator CONFIRMED. Geomancers CONFIRMED (at the website, not the video above). Are you still playing FF11 on a Playstation 2? Well FUCK YOU, it is no longer supported. The new content is no longer held back by PS2 compatibility, everything's built with PC and 360 in mind.

http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/adoulin/index.html

UPDATE 1: The Japanese trailer includes a Playstation 2 logo. They'll continue to build assets that the PS2 can handle. Gross.

UPDATE 2: The second job is now revealed! It is "Rune Fencer." Looks interesting. The class is depicted with big, stylized blades and they utilize "arcane runes" to deal damage and do buffs.

#2 Posted by JJOR64 (19024 posts) -

So I take it they gave up on 14 then.

#3 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

What the fuck.

#4 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1844 posts) -

well...... um good for them?

#5 Edited by believer258 (12017 posts) -

This discombobulates me.

Why did they do this?

#6 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

@JJOR64 said:

So I take it they gave up on 14 then.

No, they're still working on the 2.0 update.

And this is nothing, really. Hell, SOE still supports Everquest, as in the first Everquest, and still gives it the occasional expansion.

#7 Posted by FateOfNever (1850 posts) -

While I find it funny, considering the mess that 14 still is, I understand that this really has nothing to do with 14 as they're separate teams and everything. So good on them for supporting 11 still.

#8 Posted by WarlordPayne (704 posts) -

I wish they'd go free to play with FFXI. I really liked the game but I'm just not willing to pay a monthly fee to play it any more.

#9 Posted by Commisar123 (1796 posts) -

So I mean 14 is done right?

#10 Posted by Brendan (7846 posts) -

I just realized that I forgot that Final Fantasy 14 was ever a thing. Weird.

#11 Posted by Voxus (344 posts) -

I was playing this game when I was 16 years old. Jesus christ.

#12 Posted by GalacticPunt (1080 posts) -

@WarlordPayne said:

I wish they'd go free to play with FFXI. I really liked the game but I'm just not willing to pay a monthly fee to play it any more.

This article talks about why various ancient MMO's don't go down the Free To Play road: http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/04/19/the-perfect-ten-free-to-play-holdouts/

Basically, when a game has years of content built around a subscription model, and a small but loyal subscriber base, it isn't worth the expense and risk to build a bunch of microtransactions into it. While Everquest II went Free To Play, original Everquest still gets its subscription money from a hardcore fanbase who will probably die of old age before they quit. Similarly, FF14 will probably ease into the F2P model shortly after 2.0 goes live, while FF11 will NEVER give up the easy subscription money from entrenched fans.

#13 Posted by WarlordPayne (704 posts) -

@GalacticPunt: Thanks for the info, I guess I don't need to get my hopes up any more.

I am colossally disappointed now, though.

#14 Posted by Zleunamme (688 posts) -

I'm surprised that Final Fantasy XI is around. It weird that Square Enix took their sweet ass time releasing XII and XIII. Then decided to rush XIV out the door so quickly. If people still enjoy XI and the game continues to being supported. Good for them.

#15 Edited by Barrock (3546 posts) -

Man... I started XI when I was 12. I lost days of my life to it. I'd always jump back in, play for a month, and then quit because I got tired of running on Linkshell's (Guild's) time and not my own.

#16 Posted by VelourMustache (54 posts) -

It's kind of a bummer how impenetrable that game is. I had a lot of fun with it way back when and it would be neat to see what I've missed in the, like, eight years since I quit playing.

#17 Posted by EchoEcho (834 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

... And this is nothing, really. Hell, SOE still supports Everquest, as in the first Everquest, and still gives it the occasional expansion.

This, right here. Hell, Ultima Online got a new expansion a few years back, and Asheron's Call still receives regular monthly updates with new quests and story events.

#18 Posted by Marokai (3074 posts) -

I feel really bad for bailing on XI after Abyssea made leveling trivial. Even though I'd love to go back in, I don't really think I can at this point. The game just isn't what I remember best.

#19 Posted by HistoryInRust (6347 posts) -

Aw, shit. This is great news for the game.

They might get over fifteen subscribers on this one!

#20 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

I find the negative posts quite funny. A company supports their title to the fullest with zero negative outcomes for everyone.

Let's use it as an opportunity to bash that company hating EA is getting boring!

#21 Posted by ajamafalous (12051 posts) -

Everquest 1 still gets expansions too.

#22 Posted by FLStyle (4783 posts) -

@GalacticPunt: Interesting! Thanks

@Marokai: What was this Abyssea? It must have come along after I stopped playing

#23 Posted by Dekkarra (33 posts) -

@FLStyle: Abyssea was basically the death knell of the "Traditional" way of leveling up in FFXI. You could, essentially, level from 30-99 with one or two days with an Abyssea alliance that stays formed long enough.

This is a blessing and a curse in some respects, as you don't learn the nuances of the new job, and unless you had leveled skills previously on another job, you would be terribly inefficient as you'd be a level 99 with level 30 skill levels. But if you have skills already pretty high from previously leveled jobs, it's a blessing as you just level up and you're already set.

#24 Posted by FLStyle (4783 posts) -

@Dekkarra said:

@FLStyle: Abyssea was basically the death knell of the "Traditional" way of leveling up in FFXI. You could, essentially, level from 30-99 with one or two days with an Abyssea alliance that stays formed long enough.

This is a blessing and a curse in some respects, as you don't learn the nuances of the new job, and unless you had leveled skills previously on another job, you would be terribly inefficient as you'd be a level 99 with level 30 skill levels. But if you have skills already pretty high from previously leveled jobs, it's a blessing as you just level up and you're already set.

Sad times, learning the job's in and outs was one of my favourite aspects of FFXI, along with skills, skillchains and magic bursts.

#25 Posted by Omegus (30 posts) -

About damn time they put Geomancer in that game.

#26 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

That's awesome.

#27 Posted by Shadow71 (194 posts) -

@xaLieNxGrEyx said:

I find the negative posts quite funny. A company supports their title to the fullest with zero negative outcomes for everyone.

Let's use it as an opportunity to bash that company hating EA is getting boring!

Exactly,

The game has a loyal fanbase still paying for the service, there is no reason to bash Square Enix for rewarding those long time fans with new content/updates. I still have my FFXI account and really do appreciate that the game has lasted this long for me to play. Look forward to grabbing this expansion next year.

#28 Posted by Ace829 (2083 posts) -

So what exactly is the consensus on the quality of Final Fantasy XI? I've never played it myself, but I barely hear about it since it isn't a JRPG but an MMO that takes up a numbered spot for some weird reason. (Seriously, I think it should have been called FF: Online and leave it at that). Anyway, I'm asking because I still haven't found an MMO that I want to spend my time into and I'm wondering just how good XI is. I'm not even considering XIV due to the horror stories surrounding it.

#29 Posted by Doctorchimp (4078 posts) -

@Ace829 said:

So what exactly is the consensus on the quality of Final Fantasy XI? I've never played it myself, but I barely hear about it since it isn't a JRPG but an MMO that takes up a numbered spot for some weird reason. (Seriously, I think it should have been called FF: Online and leave it at that). Anyway, I'm asking because I still haven't found an MMO that I want to spend my time into and I'm wondering just how good XI is. I'm not even considering XIV due to the horror stories surrounding it.

Yeah man absolutely. Now's the time to get into XI or the trainwreck that is XIV!

Are you high?

#30 Posted by Ace829 (2083 posts) -

@Doctorchimp: Wha? Did I say something wrong?

#31 Posted by cmblasko (1292 posts) -

@Ace829: Consensus on FF11 seems pretty divisive, with folks either loving it or hating it. I tried playing 3 or 4 years ago and didn't get very far. I remember the UI navigation feeling pretty archaic, but maybe that has improved.

#32 Posted by BoG (5192 posts) -

If they bring the gameplay up to modern standards, I might actually try to play.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.