Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XI Online

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released May 16, 2002

Players from across the globe enter the world of Vana'diel for a Final Fantasy adventure in the series' first foray into the MMORPG genre.

I just bought the Ultimate Collection

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By AuthenticM

I never played an MMO in my life. I am a die hard Final Fantasy fan. When I saw the Ultimate Collection for $5 on Steam, I couldn't resist, especially with a 30-day free trial. MMOs in general intimidate me. I am told you need to sunk massive hours into the game for it to become enjoyable. This game in particular is supposed to be more "hardcore" as it's older and less "noob-friendly". I don't know if this is true, so I'd like some input from some people who have played the game. How is the game compared to other, more recent MMOs? Is it still enjoyable? I have been told the story is very good; is it true? Can I solo the game or should I play with other people or friends? Should I read any guides for newcomers? If yes, which site should I visit?

Please give me some feedback. I want to enjoy this game, I really do.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

From what its not very new user friendly any more. And most people wont even look at you if you are not higher level. How much is it per month anyways. 

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By sagesebas
    @AuthenticM: I played this game for about 2 days, and absolutely hated it, I couldn't figure anything out, the controls drove me crazy, and it was all very frustrating. That being said I stuck with it, and after about a week I really started to have fun, and liked my time with it a lot more then the time I spent with WOW. This should become your best friend  http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Main_Page also ask a bunch of questions most every one in the game was really nice and helpful.
    AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By AuthenticM
    @sagesebas: Thanks, I'll look it up. Can you confirm if the story is interesting at all or not?
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By toowalrus

You wasted $5, man. I watch my cousins play quite a bit... The combat is... OK- do you want to play Final Fantasy with only one character? No, you don't, it's barely final fantasy, outside of it's story (which isn't great).

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By sagesebas
    @AuthenticM: I honestly played it for like two months, cause I'm not really into a monthly subscriptions, but it seems cool. There was one time where i was playing and it broke into a cut scene, like any "regular" game would which i thought was cool
    AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By AuthenticM
    @sagesebas:
    Thanks. One of my friends told me he'd play with me, at least for some time. I look forward to it! Any tips for beginners?
    RCola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RCola

I also picked up the Ultimate Collection because of the Steam sale. I'm looking forward to getting into the game this weekend and seeing what I think about it.  It seems interesting and I'm looking forward to trying it out even if its only for the free 30 days.

What job/class are you playing?  The GameFAQs page for FFXI has a lot of guides depending on which class you decide on.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AuthenticM

Holy shit this game is fucked. The controls are just awful. The interface clunky as fuck. Everything about this game screams poor concept and design choices. It's crazy; how can so many people play such a fucked up game for hundreds of hours?! Ugh.

In any case, I won't be playing this game. I sincerely hope for SE that they learned a thing or two since FFXI in how to make a MMORPG. Them checking out Western games such as Diablo and WoW needs to be true.

RCola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By RCola

I felt that the controls were rather unwieldy as well until I started playing with a controller. If you have a PC or wired Xbox controller then I would recommend giving it another shot if your free 30 days haven't expired.

Shadow71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Shadow71
    @AuthenticM: It's easy to knock, but as a game that was developed in the early 2000's and released in 02 in Japan, and 03 in NA I'd say it was pretty damn good. Of course though, now that games like WoW have come along, and the fact that its 8 years old now are going to contribute to it not being as good. I dont find anything clunky about the interface though, its very simple everything is streamlined into two option menus and one battle menu.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.