My biggest and only gripe with the combat system.

#1 Posted by Red (5994 posts) -

My big gripe about the combat system is just how useless it makes you as the player feel. In KoTOR it was more like action strategy and there were a lot of factors and you had to change what your character does and set up queues but in Final Fantasy XII you set up gambits and then you press the attack button.

Boom, battle won. I would've much preffered it if when you told your guy to attack he would attack instantly and not attack until you told him to attack again. I understand charging for magic but, just auto-attacking over and over again gets really annoying and it takes the fun out of Final Fantasy.

#2 Posted by Lemegeton (780 posts) -

i thought the gambit system was very poor. it was a great idea but there needed to be a few more layers to it. It felt dumbed down for the masses. if you are , in essence, to create rules to govern your party AI, it needs to be deeper than what they offered. Thats what killed the game for me, i stopped playing after i had a few summons and all the overdrives, as the combat was just no fun

#3 Posted by BatOtaku13 (143 posts) -

i see where you're coming from.  my biggest problem however was how white magic was too useful compared to black magic.  healing and status magic is incredibly helpful, while black magic isn't as important or as powerful as in other games.  also it kinda annoyed me how the summons were essentially useless.  i still loved this game, but hopefully in ff13 they'll fix the kinks in the battle system.

#4 Posted by zhinse (164 posts) -

I Found the Gambits to be a good idea but ultimately relied on too much.  If i wanted to set up my gambits to cast fire on a foe after i casted oil on him, you could totally do it, and i like it when it has that sort of depth, but i don't like it when it takes too much control away from your leader character. Of course you have the option to not set it up so good. Also I didn't like that you have to get farther in the game to get better gambits.  I have more love for the system than most, but it does not change the fact that most of the time you're watching and not playing. A way to make things a bit more interesting is to put battle on Active instead of wait.

#5 Posted by gorkamorkaorka (442 posts) -

I never had these issues. Gambits were never self-sufficient enough to where I wasn't always having to do something. If your issue was just the auto-attack thing, a game's battle system being fun or not should go deeper than having to choose attack each time. I don't know how that would work with the other two characters if they weren't auto-attacking.

#6 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2129 posts) -

@gorkamorkaorka said:

I never had these issues. Gambits were never self-sufficient enough to where I wasn't always having to do something. If your issue was just the auto-attack thing, a game's battle system being fun or not should go deeper than having to choose attack each time. I don't know how that would work with the other two characters if they weren't auto-attacking.

By god man, it's been over 3 years!!!

#7 Edited by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

I thought gambits were fine. Yeah, you could set them to play all the random battles for you. How much more mindless is that than playing them yourself though, really? Every random encounter in every FF is just attack, attack, attack, attack, heal if needed, attack anyway. It's the enemies that are exceptions to that rule like bosses where you really use strategy and I found myself doing that even with the gambits.

That's how I remember it anyway. I also remember it being better than Dragon Age's system.

#8 Posted by BombKareshi (996 posts) -

ROFL@old ass thread being bumped, but hey, maybe it realy is a good time to revisit this discussion.

I'm going to use this opportunity to point out that I think Final Fantasy XIII's paradigm system is a great improvement, keeping the concept of directly controlling only one character but giving the player "more to do" by switching the party's strategy in real time.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.