Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII-2

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Dec 15, 2011

Final Fantasy XIII-2 is a direct sequel to Final Fantasy XIII released by Square Enix in early 2012.

Demo Impressions

• 102 results
    Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Spoonman671

It's better, but I still don't know if I'm interested in investing sixty bones in it.  I lost interest without the larger context of the game to keep me playing, but that's going to be an issue with a demo of any game like this.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By Aetheldod

I found it really nice and comprehensive of what the game will entail ... I just hope the haters are finaly satisfied and things get back to normal :D

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By McGhee

@Zenaxzd said:

@DocHaus said:

This reminded me that I need to finish that used copy of FF13 I picked up a little while ago. But I have to ask, what was the character desginer smoking when it was decided that this game needed a half-naked human, half-chocobo saleswoman? Because it creeped me the fuck out when I bought something from her.

That's not even the creepy part, this lady time travels and can magically appear in whatever room you're in. AND NOBODY SEEMS TO KNOW WHY.

this sounds so hot

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#54  Edited By JasonR86

@Aetheldod:

I'm a hater and I wasn't satisfied. When will I be satisfied?!?!?!?!?

StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By StrikeALight

I liked it. Pretty much more of the same, with extra bells and whistles on top. Chocolina was kinda jarring.

Also, show me the credit, kupo.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
    deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I've been avoiding this demo because I'm afraid if I play it, I won't actually be able to force myself to buy it when it's actually released.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#57  Edited By Vexxan

I've played an hour of the demo now and it seems to be just more of FFXIII. I'm okay with that.

Still don't know what to think of the chocobo girl shop keeper, she's super weird.

CottonWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By CottonWolf

@PatPandaHat: If it starts at the Atlus stuff it's 2 or 3 hours in. I watched a live stream of the Japanese game to that point. That's assuming it starts where I think it does, my download is taking forever.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By cikame

Played the 360 version up to the Atlas boss fight.

First thing you notice is frame rate, it's pretty low, especially in that beginning cutscene.

Fighting system makes no sense, i fudged my way through and figured some of it out but there's no real explanation why you would use a skill (spell? it's hard to tell) or just attack, no obvious damage values or spell stats are given, maybe that's hidden somewhere.

Finding items in the world is lame, like an idea from a ps1 game, floating things you need to zap then pick up and it's the same sci fi ball looking chest every time.

I hate the Paradigm Shift, if i take a big hit i need to heal which means switching and hoping the ai decides to heal me before i get hit again, so i can go into another mode which is more defensive so i take less damage but i can't attack, which means i'm achieving nothing so i go back to attack and get hit again so i need to heal, so i try using an item which means i'm not attacking in the mean time, then use a potion which is nowhere near as good as healing, which means i have to switch again.... ugh.

The environments arn't very well designed in the demo, barren areas populated by aimlessly wandering people talking nonsense and the worst part is there's frame rate trouble even here, i have no idea how basic geometry in a small area can cause performance issues but it makes you want to escape the town area and find more fps. I'm not sure how important the town concept is to Final Fantasy but i don't want to have to return to that area, would be depressing if true, exploring involves traveling around copy paste corridors, there's a path leading to a dead end which is literally a box with nothing inside, haven't seen level design like that in years.

If there is a secret to defeating bosses i'd like to know what it is, failed that Atlas boss fight multiple times now after doing seemingly no damage.

Music and voice acting is good, i don't know who the lady on the radio is but she's very annoying talking complete jibberish.

I have many complaints, but i find myself thinking about the characters in the demo and want to like it so i can see their story, but i have a half finished save on Resonance of Fate which is a much better game.

Anupsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Anupsis

Why do I feel like the only one who liked Hope?

Clinkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Clinkz

@Turambar said:

You can put sunglasses on a flan. I mean fuck, sunglasses on a fucking flan,.

You just made this a day one purchase for me.

I really enjoyed the demo and the unbiased discussion in this thread is refreshing.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Turambar
    @Animasta said:

@Zenaxzd said:

@DocHaus said:

This reminded me that I need to finish that used copy of FF13 I picked up a little while ago. But I have to ask, what was the character desginer smoking when it was decided that this game needed a half-naked human, half-chocobo saleswoman? Because it creeped me the fuck out when I bought something from her.

That's not even the creepy part, this lady time travels and can magically appear in whatever room you're in. AND NOBODY SEEMS TO KNOW WHY.

it's not even the half naked ness or the time travelling part, it's the fact that she has the most perky voice I've ever heard in a video game.

I'm fighting a giant lady tone down the perkiness will you D:

I presume the perkiness is more of a cultural trope for Japanese saleslady voices than anything else.  Remember the Junes announcer from P4?  "Come check out the fresh produce that Junes picked for you today!! ^_^"
    Vashyron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Vashyron

@Anupsis: Cause you are one of 5 people who do? Seriously, though, I think the problem that everyone has with Hope is that he whines all the time until he eventually mans the hell up. When that time eventually comes, he has already lost any chance of someone liking him.

I think my only complaint about 13-2 from the demo (which really is aimed toward the game as a whole) is the idea of having a monster as your third party. From the demo, the monster raising or whatever you want to call it seems functional and okay and they work just fine in combat. I would really just rather have another full fledged character who participates in the story and brings something to the table other than only showing up in combat.

Other than Hope. If I have to choose between a voiceless monster and Hope's whining, I choose the monster.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#64  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @cikame said:

Fighting system makes no sense, i fudged my way through and figured some of it out but there's no real explanation why you would use a skill (spell? it's hard to tell) or just attack, no obvious damage values or spell stats are given, maybe that's hidden somewhere.

I hate the Paradigm Shift, if i take a big hit i need to heal which means switching and hoping the ai decides to heal me before i get hit again, so i can go into another mode which is more defensive so i take less damage but i can't attack, which means i'm achieving nothing so i go back to attack and get hit again so i need to heal, so i try using an item which means i'm not attacking in the mean time, then use a potion which is nowhere near as good as healing, which means i have to switch again.... ugh.

Posts like these are why SE decided to roll out things slowly in 13 as opposed to how they are giving you access to everything much faster in 13-2. Like in the demo there is absolutely no reason to ever cast a heal outside of the mini-boss and Atlas and absolutely never a reason to use a Sentinel. 

I will be honest I skipped over the combat tutorial because I already knew what I was doing but at least in 13 they made everything fairly clear, use magic to stagger enemies faster and then use melee attacks to do a ton of damage during the stagger. Also your stats are shown on like 5 different screens, they aren't exactly hidden.
    cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By cikame

Oh so it's like Resonance of Fate?
    Use SMG's to cause scratch damage which is removed with pistols?

Only magic also does damage... but not as much as physical?
    You don't need to answer, i do plan on playing the demo again, might even play 13 first if something clicks.

PS, don't "posts like these" me :)

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By xyzygy

@Vashyron said:

@Anupsis: Cause you are one of 5 people who do? Seriously, though, I think the problem that everyone has with Hope is that he whines all the time until he eventually mans the hell up. When that time eventually comes, he has already lost any chance of someone liking him.

I think my only complaint about 13-2 from the demo (which really is aimed toward the game as a whole) is the idea of having a monster as your third party. From the demo, the monster raising or whatever you want to call it seems functional and okay and they work just fine in combat. I would really just rather have another full fledged character who participates in the story and brings something to the table other than only showing up in combat.

Other than Hope. If I have to choose between a voiceless monster and Hope's whining, I choose the monster.

Snow is completely re done and apparently much less of an annoying dudebro this time around. He actually looks kick ass in XIII-2. Let's just hope is personality is too

@cikame: Oh is that what that red on your health means? Scratch damage? If so that's awesome because the combat system was excellent in Resonance of Fate.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By beforet

@cikame said:

Oh so it's like Resonance of Fate? Use SMG's to cause scratch damage which is removed with pistols? Only magic also does damage... but not as much as physical? You don't need to answer, i do plan on playing the demo again, might even play 13 first if something clicks. PS, don't "posts like these" me :)

...It does resemble RoF, when you put it that way. I never noticed that. You have the right idea, but it's not really magical vs. physical so much as it's ravager vs. commando. Commando also uses magic and ravager does have physical attacks, it's just that commando always do much more damage with each individual attack. Ravagers are just meant to drive up the stagger meter.

On the topic of battles, the battle ranking mechanic confused me. I found myself finishing fight 40 seconds to a minute below the target time but still only managing a 3/5. And do we know what the purpose of the "total points in recent battles" statistic is for?

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @cikame: Yes, it is actually similar to RoF in a lot of ways which is very weird considering both of the games (that is original 13 and RoF) were developed around the same time. Eventually melee attackers can even get an ability to launch a staggered foe into the air which if you time your attacks correctly thereafter you can keep the enemy juggled into the air the entire duration of their stagger, similar to launching enemies in RoF. 

Like I said, I just skipped the tutorial since I knew what I was doing but they might of not gone over why it's important to use magic vs. melee in the demo. But that is why you would want to do it. Also it continues to go deeper into that hole with melee and magic not exactly being tied to what it traditionally means. There are magical melee attacks (ruin) and physical magical attacks (froststrike, flamestrike, etc) that scale with their corresponding stat, and what you will want to use varies. 

Also as a heads up if you do read this, another tip, magic attacks build stagger faster but it also drains quicker without a melee attack (or debuffs later on) to "sustain" it. So one of the tricks you will want to learn early on is to throw in a few melee attacks before having your group switch entirely to magic users and then switching back to 1 melee user if the bar ever gets to the point where it's falling faster than you can fill it.

@xyzygy: Red damage is similar to scratch damage in a way, but not exactly. The red damage is the enemy lowering your maximum hp so when you're healed you can only be healed up to that point. You can restore it with some potions iirc. Not exactly like scratch damage but the concepts are similar in some ways.
    cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By cikame

Cool, i'll try that tomorrow.
    The demo does have fairly decent tutorials but doesn't go too deep straight away requiring you dive into the Datalog.
    If it explains staggering then i missed it.

Since my last post i've been listening to the track Colliding Worlds constantly, i want the game to be as awesome as that track is.

Vashyron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Vashyron

@xyzygy said:

@Vashyron said:

Snow is completely re done and apparently much less of an annoying dudebro this time around. He actually looks kick ass in XIII-2. Let's just hope is personality is too

Except that from what I've heard, he is only a guest character, you can't control him, and he only shows up in a small part of the game.

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#71  Edited By Catolf
    @Vashyron said:

I liked hope, and he had a reason for his whining, and as a friend pointed out to me, he's the only character that actually grows with 13's story. He had a reason for whining, i doubt you'd all man up quick if you saw your mom die right before your eyes, then cast out of your only home and wanted.. oh and your more than likely going to die after you do your 'focus'. but shit.. hey kid MAN UP... geeze.
    Vashyron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Vashyron

@Catolf said:

@Vashyron said:

I liked hope, and he had a reason for his whining, and as a friend pointed out to me, he's the only character that actually grows with 13's story. He had a reason for whining, i doubt you'd all man up quick if you saw your mom die right before your eyes, then cast out of your only home and wanted.. oh and your more than likely going to die after you do your 'focus'. but shit.. hey kid MAN UP... geeze.

Yeah, you are probably right about everything you just said. I think it more has to do with his voice when he is whining that bugs people the most. I know it bugs me.

harinosho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By harinosho

@Vashyron said:

@Catolf said:

@Vashyron said:

Yeah, you are probably right about everything you just said. I think it more has to do with his voice when he is whining that bugs people the most. I know it bugs me.

voice acting.. i don't mind people growing within a game, but at least become that person instead of acting like it.I was not convinced and it annoyed me. Doesn't seem that square has really worked out how English voice acting works.

Finished the demo. liked it. surprisingly, as i did not like ff13 (mostly due to that damn 8 hours of dragging my ass from point a to b, finished it though.). Also i think the battle mechanics have changed or maybe i just realized how to use it properly but it seems less "press auto button" and more "know what you're doing before you change paradigms and hit auto battle".

The monster collection and upgrading is an interesting idea. already had cait sith consume some other Pokemon to get more powers. However i wonder, is there a weapon upgrade system? i didn't really like it in ff13, but this may be due to the first few hours of linear play, but yeah.

good demo. QTE system is okay. weird but okay

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @harinosho said:

"press auto button" and more "know what you're doing before you change paradigms and hit auto battle".

Well there is your problem, never hit auto battle. Ever. I will seriously repeat this until the end of the time/people stop doing it. The auto battle AI is fucking terrible.  

You can see how terrible it is in the demo right in the first fight. Fighting Atlas' hand with Noel auto battle as a com gets you Ruin|attack|attack, when if you test it on your own ruin does less damage than attack on that fight (mostly due to Noel's physical attack being higher, if I had to guess) so the proper way to do that is input attack x3 and then simply use the repeat command until the fight ends. Like seriously the fact the AI can not get it right on a tutorial fight should show how terrible it is and how it continues to be terrible forever. 

There is an option to have your default cursor on abilities during fights and it's something everyone should do. I really hate the fact SE even put auto battle in the game because it has done no good whatsoever.
    StingerMK2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#75  Edited By StingerMK2

i liked it, got me in the mood to go and finish the end game content on XIII, but seeing RoF mentioned made me want to go back to that instead, didnt get too far on it, i didnt really manage to get my head around the combat system in it, i got to chapter 3 but when i died it seemed like such a hard swing that i assumed i was doing something wrong, i dunno, can anyone shed some light on things?

kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#76  Edited By kashif1

@StingerMK2 said:

i liked it, got me in the mood to go and finish the end game content on XIII, but seeing RoF mentioned made me want to go back to that instead, didnt get too far on it, i didnt really manage to get my head around the combat system in it, i got to chapter 3 but when i died it seemed like such a hard swing that i assumed i was doing something wrong, i dunno, can anyone shed some light on things?

I havn't played it but its known to be a hard game

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#77  Edited By Animasta

@StingerMK2 said:

it's fantastic, make sure to go through all the tutorial stuff, perhaps again if you still feel like it's too hard

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @StingerMK2 said:

All you really need to know for the basics is machine guns cause "scratch" damage that has to be activated by handguns which do real damage, so in most cases you will want to attack with a machine gun first and then a hand gun, as for character hp each 1000 hp represents 1 bezel shard at the bottom of your screen and say if a character with 3000 hp takes 3000 damage you will lose 3 shards on the screen. Everything gets way crazier and deeper from there but that simple knowledge is what got me through the first few chapters of that game. 

Also, you should totally go finish the end game stuff of XIII, hands down the best endgame content of any FF game :) 
    I've been wanting to go finish up my PS3 copy of it myself but with 13-2 so close I decided to not burn myself out or anything.
    Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Seeing this thread reminded me of this demo's existence and I decided to check it out. I wound up hating XIII for the straight tunnel design so there is already marked improvement exploration wise. Amazing what a couple splitting passageways every now and then can do for your game. The monster party thing looks awesome. If the story isn't as stupid as XIII this might be the first Final Fantasy I'll say I liked after playing it in years. I've got a lot of disposable income lately so I think I'm gonna grab this day one.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
    deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Zenaxzd said:
    @harinosho said:

"press auto button" and more "know what you're doing before you change paradigms and hit auto battle".

Well there is your problem, never hit auto battle. Ever. I will seriously repeat this until the end of the time/people stop doing it. The auto battle AI is fucking terrible.
    This is such a lie. I mean, the AI isn't amazing, but it's good enough to do exactly what you need to do in 95% of battling circumstances to button mash your way through every battle, interrupted only briefly by a paradigm shift, which involves hitting a couple of slightly different buttons before going back to mashing X/A. The battle system in FFXIII can have depth to it, but the battles move too fast and are too geared toward furiously staggering and then beating them down before the timer runs out to actually be able to discover it and use it without figuring out how to go through a panic-induced rush through the battle menu to find what you're looking for. 

I don't think the battle system is shallow, so I'll grant you that. But the problem is the speed the battles are designed to move at totally wipe away any depth you could realistically get into. I button mashed through nearly all battles in FFXIII and had no problem aside from a few boss battles just being stupid.
    CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#81  Edited By CharleyTony

I am a pretty big Final Fantasy fan, but I did not enjoy FF13. I took a look at the demo and (of course) its basically more FF13... I'm not buying it.

I'm not sure if what I would like better... maybe something like FF6 (What I would call Classic Final Fantasy) or FF12.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @Marokai: No, it's defiantly true, auto battle is an abomination. Once your list of abilities expands it never picks proper attacks in any situation. Most of it's poor decision making comes from using magic vs physical attacks. As a ravager even if the enemy has a weakness to one type of magic the auto battle AI for whatever reason will mix up the attacks to include both the strike (physical version) and the normal magic attack, which lead to melee characters attack loops being slower than it should be. It only gets worse when you're trying to juggle an enemy as coms to keep it from attacking and the AI seems to want to use ruin. Then you have the Sab who in many cases will use the wrong debuff for the situation (there was never a reason to use deprotect until an enemy was staggered, and yet it did anyway) and the Sab was also useful for keeping the stagger meter from draining quickly but once all debuffs possible were up the AI only uses 1 debuff per click of auto battle as opposed to the entire bar. And finally you have the lovely synergist who do not use context when deciding what buffs to throw out (like using protect against an enemy that ONLY uses magic).

Also it is not frantic to go through the list of abilities to simply pick what you want, once it's entered for the first time you can use the repeat function to use it from there out, it also saves them on a class by class basis so swapping between classes it will always keep track of what you used. Simply playing through the game you learn where each ability is and the easiest way to get to it.

You're right though, you can get through the game using auto battle but you can shave significant amounts of time from battles (which in 13 meant always assuring 5 star ratings and your increased rare item chance) by entering things manually and using the repeat function.
    Yodasdarkside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#83  Edited By Yodasdarkside

The puzzle inside the anomoly was neat and I'm curious if it's optional or not since it seemed you could just go and fight Atlus without doing it if you so wanted. Sure, if you wanted your ass kicked.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By SlightConfuse

I thought the battles dragged on

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#85  Edited By spazmaster666

So after playing both the 360 and PS3 demos I'm glad at least that the two pretty much look identical and perform about the same (i.e. both had slowdowns in the same areas) except for perhaps better cinematic quality on the PS3 (due to greater disc space). It looks like Square Enix actually put some effort into the 360 version this time and has made it up to par with the PS3 version. I'm also glad that Square Enix decided to actually give us a demo that showcases all the changes and improvements they've made to the gameplay, instead of what could have been just the first half hour of the game (in which case, it would end up being as deceiving as the all the ads are for the game.) I guess I have to give them props for releasing an "honest" demo at least. In any case, I'm definitely excited about Jan 31st!

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By beforet

@Zenaxzd: I absolutely hated the AI for synergists. It wasn't that they used the wrong spells, as any buff is nice, it's that they use cast one at a time. When they can cast 2-3 with one bar! Yeah, Haste is pretty sweet, but Haste, Bravery, and Enfire is even better!

Though I will say that the saboteur AI for Snow and Sahz is pretty good. When all possible statuses have been inflicted, they won't do the one spell at a time thing. Instead they will spam the fuck out of daze, which is really nice because, if you time it right, that means 4-6 attacks at double damage. Vital for early turtle farming.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @Beforet said:

@Zenaxzd: I absolutely hated the AI for synergists. It wasn't that they used the wrong spells, as any buff is nice, it's that they use cast one at a time. When they can cast 2-3 with one bar! Yeah, Haste is pretty sweet, but Haste, Bravery, and Enfire is even better!

Though I will say that the saboteur AI for Snow and Sahz is pretty good. When all possible statuses have been inflicted, they won't do the one spell at a time thing. Instead they will spam the fuck out of daze, which is really nice because, if you time it right, that means 4-6 attacks at double damage. Vital for early turtle farming.

It's true. I actually played a lot of my PS3 copy of 13 today (I still want to platinum it) after posting that to give it another chance, but no, it is indeed really annoying. That exact problem you mention is really annoying on cactaur farming (which is what I always used for CP) for some reason auto-battle enjoys giving Snow (who I am using to absorb 1k needles) enfire after haste despite the fact he's curled into a ball the entire fight and doesn't even want to give him protect before the cactaur uses mature (not that he needs it with how how my stats are, but still). Also like you said it only wants to use 1 spell per cast instead of using the entire ATB bar. Like ugh it's faster and more efficient to do it myself. 

Also man, I totally forgot how to fight Adamantoise. I never did death farming or anything like that as I was always into just using a summon and then killing it during 1 stagger but I totally did stupid things like using my summon its entire duration and not using deprotect when it was on the ground. Been far too long since I played that game last.
    beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By beforet

@Zenaxzd said:

It's true. I actually played a lot of my PS3 copy of 13 today (I still want to platinum it)

Don't. I did, and god damn. God damn. I'm in the process of writing a blog post about that. Also, Cactuar aren't worth it for CP farming. If you're not farming turtles then you should be farming the behemoth/megi battle for CP. It's a 30 second battle for about 12000 CP with the growth egg. With some practice you can get it down to 10 seconds. As for turtles, don't use summons or death if you plan on farming them. Neither are efficient enough. If you're low level, that is to say only primary roles and at least a little bit of synergist for Fang maxed (level 2 is enough) then you start by buffing yourself with haste/protectra, and then switch to tridisaster and stagger a leg. At some point you'll want to switch to com/med/med and Highwind the leg. When you do that depends on Fang's strength stat. If it's around 2700-3000, do it immediately. If it's lower than 2500, drive up the stagger bar a little and let it drain. You want to kill a leg in one highwind. Rinse and repeat for the other leg. When it drops, buff yourself with Bravera and the others with Faithra while the other two debuff him. Stagger, and kill. Having someone spam daze when he's staggered makes your life much, much easier.

I have killed so many turtles, I could do it in my sleep at this point.

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By DukesT3

Should I play XIII first before I should play this?!

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @Beforet said:

@Zenaxzd said:

It's true. I actually played a lot of my PS3 copy of 13 today (I still want to platinum it)

Don't. I did, and god damn. God damn.

Nah, I've already done it once on 360 and enjoyed every second of it (though turtle farming got a bit old eventually) but I have 2 copies of the game and I still want to finish the other up at some point. Also cactaurs take me currently approx 50 seconds to kill for 30,000 CP and I can get it down way faster but my stats are still lacking as I spent a lot of CP on useless crap to get the trophies for maxing some of the roles and have not bothered upgrading any weapons/accessories (actually some of my people still have acc slots to unlock)

That said on my 360 copy I did max ALL my characters purely on cactaurs which I ended up regretting because of gil farming, which is why when I get the hang of killing turtles again I plan to finish my crystariums on them this time to cut out a few hours of generic grinding.
    ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @LooseChange said:

Should I play XIII first before I should play this?!

It seems they have little in common with each other plot-wise outside of returning characters. However I have not played the full game first hand so I can't speak for that. Ask one of the folks on the board who have played through the Japanese version, they would know for sure. 

I will say I appreciate going into 13-2 after having mastered most of 13 simply because the combat gets complex (and I guess "hard" for people who have not played 13) much faster than 13 ever did. 
    Spooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Spooty

A friend and I spent 4 hours on one play through just testing things out and figuring out the monster system completely. Can't wait to jump in this game and get my pokemon on.

Seems to completely fix the problems I had with 13 (though I still played through and enjoyed it).

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By JasonR86

Are the people who liked the demo ok with the writing and how the story was delivered? I admit that I didn't make it through the whole demo but this was due to just the irritating nature of the characters. And that fucking Kupo was just always there always making sure to get in in what seemed like every shot of every scene. I just couldn't handle it. So, are the people who like the demo ok with the characters and writing?

Juno500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#94  Edited By Juno500

@JasonR86 said:

Are the people who liked the demo ok with the writing and how the story was delivered? I admit that I didn't make it through the whole demo but this was due to just the irritating nature of the characters. And that fucking Kupo was just always there always making sure to get in in what seemed like every shot of every scene. I just couldn't handle it. So, are the people who like the demo ok with the characters and writing?

Years of playing JRPGs (and videogames in general) have caused me to develop a very thick skin to all of that. I don't think the writing or storytelling is any good but I don't have much difficulty in tolerating it.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By JasonR86

@Juno500 said:

@JasonR86 said:

Years of playing JRPGs (and videogames in general) have caused me to develop a very thick skin to all of that. I don't think the writing or storytelling is any good but I don't have much difficulty in tolerating it.

I guess my tolerance is next to naught for all that.

Juno500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#96  Edited By Juno500

Well, it also helps that I really don't care about stories in video games. I mostly ignore them, and a game having a bad story does very little to affect my opinion of the game overall.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#97  Edited By dagas

I've not tried the demo yet since I've not finished FF13. I stopped because I got to a place where I have to grind to defeat a boss. That seams to be when I stop playing JRPG's these days. As soon as just going through the world isn't enough to level and I have to start running around the same area for hours to grind for a fight I just can't. I used to be able to grind gor hours and hours, but with games liked ME and DA making away with grinding I feel that JRPG's need to do that too. I still can do it sometimes if it's a game I really feel like I must know the story goes like Persona or lately Shadow Heart games, but the I didn't much care for the way leveling worked in FF13.

I guess it's too early to tell from a demo if it is grindy, but is the leveling system the same or is it changed? Also do I still have to run back and forth as much to make enemies respawn? I almost wish it had random encounters even though people hate that sysstem, at least then you can run around on spot instead of doing a mile long run for 3 fights then run back for them to respawn.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @dagas: There is never a part in 13 where you have to grind to make it past a story-related boss, I would just suggest going over your paradigms again and coming up with better strategies to defeat enemies. You may not 5 star fights but there is never a reason to grind for story related stuff. To be entirely honest I have not played a single JRPG this gen (or any last gen outside of P4, and even that as only like 2 levels) where I had to take a moment to grind to make it past story related content.  

I really don't understand that argument at all, I just think people are not putting enough effort into their battle strategies.
    Amethus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Amethus

Considering I didn't really like 13, I was surprised that I liked the demo for 13-2. The dialogue seems kind of stupid (especially the Lightning + black hair guy bits) but otherwise it was fun.

Looking forward to this.

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#100  Edited By sickVisionz

Wow, I typed a crapload, pressed "post reply" and had the system erase everything and tell me "body. This field is required." I'm not gonna retype everything but I'll say that I enjoyed XIII and XIII2 doesn't seem to have broken anything that I liked. I thought that only two real members in your sucked and would be a game over, man for it but it's not that limiting mechanically, but it will suck to me if I can't make my combat party be exclusively characters that I like... unless you get to fight the Ninja blade arm dude from Pulse and he can be a monster you use or you can grab something stupid huge like an Adamantoise.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.