Final Fantasy XIII-2 Is A Real Video Game By Square Enix

#51 Posted by Dtat (1623 posts) -

I bet this will be better than 13, because they didn't have to waste all of their efforts making the engine. But man this does nothing for their public image. Guess what guys! More FF games! No breaks for us! Oh well.
#52 Posted by Charlee_CoCo (106 posts) -
I remember the producer or director of XIII saying that they ended up having to cut out a ton of stuff in order to finish XIII to the point where they had so much cut content that it could be used to make another game.
 
Now a sequel to XIII is announced and it's coming out sooner than expected. I wonder how this possibly could have happened?
 
@IronScimitar:  They haven't forgotten about KH on home console(s) it's just the KH team is busy with Versus XIII at the moment. In other words KH3 is still a LONG ways off seeing as how Versus won't be done till this year or next year, ie given that KH3 could have a 3 year dev cycle we might not see it till 2015.
 
Again, not forgotten, it's just not any time soon, which is why they keep doing all the KH spin off handheld titles, in order to keep the brand alive, active, and in the marketplace.
#53 Edited by LordCmdrStryker (346 posts) -

I just remembered:  we still don't have a release date for Deus Ex.  Where is our release date, Squeenix?! 
 
...I guess we know what they care about.

#54 Posted by swomar (62 posts) -
@el33tcapitan: 
Also 6 million other people who bought the game. 
Whether you feel disappointed with the game or not, very few people thought that it was a bad game. So, here's for hoping that the followup will be more liked universally.
#55 Posted by kingofpeanuts (478 posts) -
@GunslingerPanda: No,  it was announced at  Square Enix's 1st Production Department Premier event in Roppongi. If you don't believe it go to andriasang.com
#56 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

Another FF game I'll never want to buy/play. Great job Square, way to stay the course.

#57 Posted by Dopey2400 (72 posts) -

Why can't those mother fuckers come with a better name than XIII-2? Perhaps a clever sub-title? Final Fantasy XIII: Shit got real....anyone?

#58 Posted by swomar (62 posts) -

I can't believe that this is a surprise to anyone who follows video games closely. I had a bet with a friend that they would do this even before FF XIII came out. It just makes sense financially... and even creatively .

#59 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4252 posts) -

Fuck you Square. Fuck you.

#60 Posted by zityz (2360 posts) -

I liked the main character, and I liked Snow. Aside from that... The fuck you thinking there squeenix?

#61 Posted by Marz (5642 posts) -

wtf?

#62 Posted by Milkman (16485 posts) -

What the fuck?

#63 Edited by Cornman89 (1579 posts) -

Toriyama is seemingly aware that FFXIII was a divisive game, and a direct sequel will give them an opportunity to address that. Plus, armored ass-less chaps. Color me intrigued.

#64 Posted by Hailinel (23692 posts) -
@Cornman89 said:
" Toriyama is seemingly aware that FXIII was a divisive game, and a direct sequel will give them an opportunity to address that. Plus, armored ass-less chaps. Color me intrigued. "
They're the new in-fashion.
#65 Posted by Archaen (136 posts) -

Looking forward to it.

#66 Posted by Chubbaluphigous (571 posts) -

I really enjoyed the story and world of FFXIII.  The only problem was that the gameplay was excessively lacking.  If they create a large game with a world map, shops and people, things to do, more involved combat, a reason to explore(that assumes that there are places to explore).  The world opened up when you got to pulse, but you had 2 things to do: hunts and find treasure.  The hunts in XII got epic, the ones in XIII were sleep inducing.
 
I am totally ready for more of the FFXIII universe, just put it in a game I want to play.

#67 Posted by dungbootle (2454 posts) -

What.

#68 Posted by zameer (605 posts) -

Already knew about this, but this was a good read. Nice writeup, Matt! 
 
WHAT CAN I DO FOR YOU

#69 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4674 posts) -

I think that a direct sequal to FF13 is a fantasic idea. I hope the best for it.
#70 Posted by RYNO9881 (625 posts) -

Hey, if they fix the problems with the first game and make some of the characters not annoying(Hope), then by all means; a good game is a good game.

#71 Posted by MisterMouse (3539 posts) -

As if in response to giant bombs franchise that just needs to take a break... 
 
do you think they will do any drastic changes from the first 13?

#72 Edited by dezvous (531 posts) -

The versus video that got released today looks incredible. Can't wait for that. XIII-2 looks interesting as well. Just have to wait and see. It's fucking Square-Enix, expect crazy character designs with no practicality. I don't understand how you can be surprised by stuff like that?
 
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A0AU1eNSXk&feature=player_embedded
Versus video. Quite a bit of gameplay footage towards the latter half. Looks excellent.

#73 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11423 posts) -

Needs more irrelevancy and J-Pop to make it anywhere near the pedigree that Final Fantasy X-2 set for sequels to games that are already numbered.

#74 Posted by edeo (268 posts) -

The linearity of FF13 didn't bother me that much.  All JRPGs are pretty linear. 
 
I was mostly bothered by the emptiness and inanity of the story/dialog. 
 
I am not surprised in the least that SquareEnix decided to make a gaiden to FF13.  It's a good idea for short term profit.  They can slap together a game pretty quickly and address some complaints of the original. 
 
However, in the long run, this will probably ruin FF's brand image further.

#75 Posted by MikkaQ (10264 posts) -

Oh god, this just looks like the worst. Ah fuck it, I'm just too tired to complain about Square Enix anymore. I'm just going to assume whatever junk they pump out next is going to be pretty poor. 

#76 Posted by DeathbyYeti (742 posts) -

fuck you

#77 Posted by President_Barackbar (3418 posts) -
@wasteguru said:
" I'm willing to give it a chance. I have to agree with you Kessler in regards to Lightning's outfit. It completely defeats the point of her character and is purely there as a sex image. "
*Implying FF has character development*
#78 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4608 posts) -
@kingofpeanuts
@GunslingerPanda: No,  it was announced at  Square Enix's 1st Production Department Premier event in Roppongi. If you don't believe it go to andriasang.com
lol, it was a joke, friend. The thread title made me laugh so I played with it.
#79 Posted by Hailinel (23692 posts) -
@President_Barackbar said:
" @wasteguru said:
" I'm willing to give it a chance. I have to agree with you Kessler in regards to Lightning's outfit. It completely defeats the point of her character and is purely there as a sex image. "
*Implying FF has character development* "
*Implying it doesn't*
#80 Posted by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -

YES. HATERS GO AWAY.

#81 Posted by President_Barackbar (3418 posts) -
@Hailinel said:
" @President_Barackbar said:
" @wasteguru said:
" I'm willing to give it a chance. I have to agree with you Kessler in regards to Lightning's outfit. It completely defeats the point of her character and is purely there as a sex image. "
*Implying FF has character development* "
*Implying it doesn't* "
I have awoken the general of the JRPG defense force, I am ready for battle!
#82 Posted by winsol (73 posts) -

 The Mayans tried to warn us 

#83 Posted by BenderUnit22 (1429 posts) -

Looking forward to it, FFXIII was great. The armor is a weird piece of equipment to wear in that universe though.

Online
#84 Posted by dungbootle (2454 posts) -

 I love how the reaction to a new Final Fantasy game being announced is no longer decisively positive nor negative. Just genuine confusion.

#85 Edited by Gunharp (336 posts) -
@Cornman89 said:

" Toriyama is seemingly aware that FFXIII was a divisive game, and a direct sequel will give them an opportunity to address that. Plus, armored ass-less chaps. Color me intrigued. "

You know when you put it like that. It does make this sequel much more surprising. The divisive opinions out there makes this announcement gain more buzz for sure. 
 
The news is cool, I liked FFXIII (made my top ten) and the character lightning. I'll play more, and hey stunning graphics is always a plus.  
 
@MattBodega 
Pretty sure the trailer spoils the ending to FFXIII in case anyone cares. Oh and awesome color commentary.
#86 Posted by Hailinel (23692 posts) -
@President_Barackbar:   Defense force bullshit again?  I'd have thought that GB had actually gotten past that excuse of a non-argument.
#87 Posted by Philzpilz (225 posts) -

Aww screw it, I love these games and I have no problem admitting it

#88 Posted by President_Barackbar (3418 posts) -
@Hailinel said:
" @President_Barackbar:   Defense force bullshit again?  I'd have thought that GB had actually gotten past that excuse of a non-argument. "
I have seen you post enough to know that you are a rabid JRPG fan and therefore are not privy to reason.
#89 Posted by wwfundertaker (1395 posts) -
@Aus_azn said:
" YES. HATERS GO AWAY. "
Agreed. Cant wait for the game.
#90 Posted by Lukeweizer (2587 posts) -
@Chabbs0 said:
" I ENJOYED FINAL FANTASY 13 "
As much as you enjoy Caps Lock?
#91 Posted by Hailinel (23692 posts) -
@President_Barackbar said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @President_Barackbar:   Defense force bullshit again?  I'd have thought that GB had actually gotten past that excuse of a non-argument. "
I have seen you post enough to know that you are a rabid JRPG fan and therefore are not privy to reason. "
There are bad games in the genre that I won't hesitate to criticize Believe me.  But you're one to criticize a person's privy to reason by making snide, generalist remarks, which I can only assume you do to mask your general lack of knowledge of the subject you're deriding.
#92 Posted by President_Barackbar (3418 posts) -
@wwfundertaker said:
" @Aus_azn said:
" YES. HATERS GO AWAY. "
Agreed. Cant wait for the game. "
Let me fill you in on a little something, you can only claim "haters" if the game is well reviewed/liked and people say they don't like it to be contrarian. FFXIII did not review particularly well, nor is it well liked by most people. THAT is not a case for "haters".
#93 Posted by KarlPilkington (2678 posts) -
@Lukeweizer said:
" @Chabbs0 said:
" I ENJOYED FINAL FANTASY 13 "
As much as you enjoy Caps Lock? "
YES
#94 Posted by Bombs_Away (1010 posts) -

Yeah...

#95 Posted by SomeJerk (3130 posts) -

I don't know about short devcycle. I know a lot of people who rage against the game because it doesn't have the classic battle theme, the chocobo theme and traditional cities. Lightning looks great in that shot but um. Different art direction from FF13? Maybe things changed on the FF13 world and went all Nomura for reals after the end..

#96 Edited by mutha3 (4985 posts) -
@President_Barackbar said:

" @wwfundertaker said:

" @Aus_azn said:

" YES. HATERS GO AWAY. "
Agreed. Cant wait for the game. "
Let me fill you in on a little something, you can only claim "haters" if the game is well reviewed/liked and people say they don't like it to be contrarian. FFXIII did not review particularly well, nor is it well liked by most people. THAT is not a case for "haters". "
You know, I don't even like FF13 at all, but this is a load of shit.
 
Since when is a 85+% rating "not reviewed particulary well"? You're also confusing a group of vocal dissenting manchildren with the majority.
#97 Posted by RXSideEffect (31 posts) -

FFXIII was......ok. I feel like this franchise hit its peak at X....X-2 made me stop caring about these games so hopefully this...second...sequel...whatever you wanna call it is good. Not getting my hopes up tho

#98 Posted by mrcraggle (1800 posts) -

Having not played FF13 can someone explain the style change? FF13 is set in the future and they all wear regular looking clothes for the most part but what's with the Demon's Soul's armour?

#99 Posted by Gruff182 (851 posts) -

Yay!!
 
Just kidding, I don't care.

#100 Posted by President_Barackbar (3418 posts) -
@mutha3 said:
" @President_Barackbar said:

" @wwfundertaker said:

" @Aus_azn said:

" YES. HATERS GO AWAY. "
Agreed. Cant wait for the game. "
Let me fill you in on a little something, you can only claim "haters" if the game is well reviewed/liked and people say they don't like it to be contrarian. FFXIII did not review particularly well, nor is it well liked by most people. THAT is not a case for "haters". "
You know, I don't even like FF13 at all, but this is a load of shit.  Since when is a 85+% rating "not reviewed particulary well"? You're also confusing a group of vocal dissenting manchildren with the majority. "
I don't like to make a habit of going by the Metacritic, but we all know that there are some review outlets that really pull their punches even on games they don't particularly like (some places rarely give lower than an 8), as well as a lot of game websites called it a disappointment.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.