Final Fantasy XIII-2 Is A Real Video Game By Square Enix

#101 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

Don't EVER bring up J-pop again. That was bull shit Kessler. BULL SHIT.

#102 Posted by MrMazz (928 posts) -

I actually kinda likes X-2 

#103 Posted by Ockman (187 posts) -

I really wish Kessler wasn't allowed to write for GB since his internship ended, he's such an annoying douche bag.  Seriously, I'm tired of FInal Fantasy X-2 treated like some kind of joke for the franchise. Fuck the hate for Final Fantasy X-2, that game was good, and still probably has the best battle system of the entire franchise, so fuck the haters.

#104 Edited by OmegaChosen (644 posts) -

FF XIII review moderately well, didn't it? Not crazy AAA title good but not crazy bad shovelware either. Doesn't really seem that surprising that this would happen when you think about it. 

I'll admit it, I didn't finish XIII(the fact that most of the early maps consisted of basically a straight line that led to another straight line threw me off enough to stop playing for other games). However, I didn't hate the battle system, I only really hated Hope, and I do wonder what exactly is going on with the whole l'Cie/fal'Cie thing since I never looked it up.

If XIII-2 actually has towns and some exploring aspects rather than being railroaded like crazy, I can actually see myself enjoying it a lot more than I did XIII. In any case, Versus has more of my interest regardless.

#105 Posted by ElCapitan (401 posts) -
@swomar: You're right. It's not a "bad" game, it's just not a great game. I still feel that Square Enix is just not hitting with the same level of quality and skill that it used to.
#106 Posted by matti00 (668 posts) -

Fuck. I'm probably gonna buy it as well.

#107 Posted by IBurningStar (2160 posts) -

...You know what, sure, why not?

#108 Posted by MattBodega (1903 posts) -
@Gunharp: Do you mean that my commentary was awesome? Or was my commentary "awesome"?
#109 Posted by Phoenix87 (472 posts) -

just keep digging the hole deeper.

#110 Posted by Vorbis (2749 posts) -

Enjoyed FFX, FFX-2 and FFXIII, I'm sure I'll enjoy FFXIII-2. 

Haters gonna hate.

#111 Posted by GioVANNI (1285 posts) -

I could not be less interested in a game.

#112 Edited by Archaen (136 posts) -
@President_Barackbar said:

" @wwfundertaker said:

" @Aus_azn said:
" YES. HATERS GO AWAY. "
Agreed. Cant wait for the game. "
Let me fill you in on a little something, you can only claim "haters" if the game is well reviewed/liked and people say they don't like it to be contrarian. FFXIII did not review particularly well, nor is it well liked by most people. THAT is not a case for "haters". "
Metacritic score: Press - 83 Users - 84. It was reviewed fairly well, if below the usual final fantasy standards. It is indeed well liked by many people. It even won rpg of the year from more than one outlet.
#113 Posted by Greenlight13 (99 posts) -

It's difficult to assess one final fantasy game against another these days because they take so damn long to come out that you almost have to hold them to different standards. True enough FF13's linear nature really sucked, but I did enjoy the story and the gameplay. It's frustrating when they force you to be Vanille or Hope for an hour or so at a time, but once you get to pick between them I think the game gets really good.

Perhaps the lack of wait will lessen expectations... then again it'll be only the second official sequel so forget that idea. Anyway, I'm open to it, Lightning was a good protagonist.

#114 Posted by xyzygy (9899 posts) -

OMFG! THIS GAME LOOKS AWESOME!! 

I felt more excitement seeing Lightning in that awesome suit than I did seeing the Versus 13 trailer!!! 

WJFKDSJALK!!! 

#115 Posted by spilledmilkfactory (1845 posts) -

my mind is still reeling from this announcement. apparently square-enix didn't get the memo about gb's "give it a rest" award, cuz this is just ridiculous. barely anybody even liked XIII. what are you doing square-enix?!?!? 

#116 Posted by CrescendOtaku (53 posts) -
@el33tcapitan: 
The timing is pretty funny. In response to winning the "Take A Break Award", FFXIII-2 is announced out of nowhere and will come out this year. I'm just sick of Square spreading themselves so thin with this franchise (Still waiting on FF Versus XIII or Agito XIII news).
#117 Edited by xyzygy (9899 posts) -
All Square Enix needs to do is compress the 360 version's video better and make it more open and I'm totally in. But let's face it, even if this game was linear like FFXIII (well the first part of it) I'd still buy it. Also, it's great that it's starting development with both consoles in mind instead of adding 360 at the last minute like FFXIII. This way they won't have to cut so much content and make so many changes.

@CrescendOtaku
said:

" @el33tcapitan:  The timing is pretty funny. In response to winning the "Take A Break Award", FFXIII-2 is announced out of nowhere and will come out this year. I'm just sick of Square spreading themselves so thin with this franchise (Still waiting on FF Versus XIII or Agito XIII news). "

There was a new trailer leaked for Versus 13, did you not see it? It was just today it happened.
#118 Posted by Hailinel (23928 posts) -
@xyzygy said:
" All Square Enix needs to do is compress the 360 version's video better and make it more open and I'm totally in. But let's face it, even if this game was linear like FFXIII (well the first part of it) I'd still buy it.

@CrescendOtaku
said:
" @el33tcapitan:  The timing is pretty funny. In response to winning the "Take A Break Award", FFXIII-2 is announced out of nowhere and will come out this year. I'm just sick of Square spreading themselves so thin with this franchise (Still waiting on FF Versus XIII or Agito XIII news). "
There was a new trailer leaked for Versus 13, did you not see it? It was just today it happened. "
And they also announced that Agito XIII is no longer an FFXIII game and is now it's own title called Final Fantasy Type-0.
#119 Edited by xyzygy (9899 posts) -
@Hailinel: Maybe XIII-2 is taking Agito's spot in the Fabula Nova Crystallis series 

I just noticed that that other person in the trailer looks almost identical to Laguna Loire.
#120 Posted by Korolev (1700 posts) -

Less Dungeon Crawling, more NPCs, a better storyline and less Hope and Vanille and everything's gravy.  

FFXIII wasn't terrible as a game, it was just nowhere near as good as other FF games in terms of its scope or story. The environments felt bare and populated only by monsters. Yes, the corridors were colourful, the game was vomiting out colour at us, but no matter how pretty it looked, if it doesn't have any substance why does it matter? I never ONCE cared a bit about Cocoon or Pulse or any of the Characters except Sazh. They never gave me a reason to care. 

If they give me a reason to care about the characters or the locations in FFXIII-2 or whatever they choose to call it, count me in. The Battle system was great, so were the graphics. Now all they have to do, ALL they have to do, is give it a storyline that's worth a damn.  

I'm sorry, but you hold FFXIII up to FFX, IX, XII or even VIII, and it doesn't hold up. I know the "open world" illusion of eariler FF games was just an illusion, still it was an illusion worth maintaining. And the "side-quests" in FFXIII? They were a joke. No, 95% of the game consisted of the same 6 characters, 2 of which were god-awfully annoying, 3 of which were reasonable if boring, and only one who was actually cool.  

Don't believe me? Go back and play previous FF games. Any of them. Then compare it to FFXIII. Something went seriously wrong with XIII. It was far more dungeon crawler than RPG. I know, I know that Pulse (Chapter XI) was "big" - but it was nothing but a big monster filled sandpit. So they replaced a monster-filled, sterile corridor with a big monster-filled sterile sandbox. Count me unimpressed.

#121 Edited by Grixxel (763 posts) -

Faaaaail. And to all you raging fanboys, chill out, the game sucked. Not everything that comes out of square enix is a godsend so get over it.

#122 Edited by Gunharp (336 posts) -
@MattBodega said:

" @Gunharp: Do you mean that my commentary was awesome? Or was my commentary "awesome"? "

It was the best. The best

So no quotes. Or maybe the awesome is a reference to something that I am not getting.
#123 Posted by JackSukeru (5906 posts) -

I might need to move FFXIII up a few spaces on my backlog list if I'm gonna play it before this comes out.

#124 Posted by kiwi_whisker (125 posts) -

I may be part of a select few, but I enjoyed 13. I'm looking forward to this. But it seems theyre making a game for maybe 10% of those who played 13, I hope they dont expect to sell many copies...

#125 Edited by UsbCable (235 posts) -

I'm soooooooooooo fucking buying this poop!  RPGs were my favorite genre in the past so leave me alone..... :'(  I'm interested to see what XIII-2 is all about and I beat 13 so why the fuck not. Even though I had my gripes with a few things, I still enjoyed it. 

I saw Shadow Hearts: Covenant mentioned earlier in the comments and felt like mentioning to no one that I loved that game. I'm actually getting back a PS2 because the PS3 software back compact is kind of fucked for the game.

#126 Posted by Hector (3356 posts) -
Can't wait, I loved FFXIII!
#127 Posted by defaulttag (890 posts) -

-_-

#128 Posted by President_Barackbar (3438 posts) -
@Kanji said:
" Faaaaail. And to all you raging fanboys, chill out, the game sucked. Not everything that comes out of square enix is a godsend so get over it. "
You sir, win the internet.
#129 Posted by Tophat666 (229 posts) -

I'm indifferent about Final Fantasy 13, so I might pick this up.
Maybe it will explain WTF happened at the end NO!

#130 Posted by clarke0 (1077 posts) -

I guess Square-Enix could use a cash-in after FF XIV...

#131 Posted by buhssuht (437 posts) -

this better be the opposite of FX-2, where the second one is way better the first one.

#132 Posted by Faint (833 posts) -

wow. more shit on top of the dead carcass of final fantasy. and to think that i dreamed as a boy of working for these clowns. the difference between a sequel to ffx as compared to ffxiii is that ffx was VERY well recieved. it was one of the highest rated games on the platform. then of course, x-2 dipped in ratings from the original. if ffxiii has already received lower than average ratings for the series, does that mean that xiii-2 is going to dip even lower? they clearly have no vision for a worldwide audience as their titles only apply to western gamers who embrace their sometimes strange pop culture as it is. ive played every ff game (bar 11 and 14) and i think ill give this one a miss. i've had enough.

#133 Posted by StarvingGamer (8027 posts) -

Lightning looks like a gladiator with even less pants than before, day one purchase for me.

#134 Edited by James89 (75 posts) -

What the FUCK !?  Why does square enix keep driving its beloved franchise to the ground?

#135 Edited by Fascism (148 posts) -

Half naked Lightning ftw

#136 Posted by Spadge (49 posts) -

Y'know - I was neutral on the game: a great game, but not such a great final fantasy. This in mind, I hosently thought I was done with the characters and the universe of FFXIII... but the trailer has certainly stirred something.

Definitely interested.

#137 Edited by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@Kanji said:

" Faaaaail. And to all you raging fanboys, chill out, the game sucked. Not everything that comes out of square enix is a godsend so get over it. "

Opinions. Apparently yours is the only one that matters. 

@James89 said:
" What the FUCK !?  Why does square enix keep driving its beloved franchise to the ground? "
You've played the game? You know what it's like? Amazing. 

Everybody needs to chill the fuck out with the hate.
#138 Posted by WarMachineV2 (13 posts) -

The only thing I'm looking forward to is Lightning, and thats about it.

#139 Posted by RVonE (4605 posts) -
@CL60 said:
"@Kanji said:

Opinions. Apparently yours is the only one that matters. 

@James89 said:
" What the FUCK !?  Why does square enix keep driving its beloved franchise to the ground? "
You've played the game? You know what it's like? Amazing.   Everybody needs to chill the fuck out with the hate. "

This is why I like you.
#140 Posted by BlazeHedgehog (1082 posts) -

"Really? You're going to show us her butt? She's supposed to be wearing armor. With a one-winged sash. This is so dumb."

#141 Posted by Mikazukinoyaiba (105 posts) -

I made the mistake of pre-ordering FFXIII and buying it at full price, only to see it just months later available for $30 and even now available for less than $20. 

I did like the art style, from what I've been told the story was actually good, and the combat was very entertaining and looked cool, but god oh god the characters and never-ending tutorial killed my patience. I think I played 5 or 7 hours of the game before I had to put it down and wasn't interested in picking it back up. 

I have patience, I mean I'm the type of guy that loved sailing in the Wind Waker, riding your horse in Red Dead: Redemption, and thought the Citadel in ME1 was just the best, but SE pushed that unusual tolerance too far. 

Please Square, fix the tutorials and do a better job of making either the combat simpler and more accessible or simply do a better job with tutorials (and keep them short and near two hours)

#142 Posted by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1724 posts) -

I..just...I mean..another....really!? 
#143 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -

Fuck it, I really enjoyed FFXIII and I'll probably pick this up on release too.

#144 Posted by Zomgfruitbunnies (752 posts) -

I was hoping this would be about Lightning and Hope settling down and making babies while trying to work through the issue of Hope being a teenage father.

Just sayin'.

#145 Posted by doe3879 (779 posts) -

I don't do this often but

#146 Posted by Burns098356GX (1366 posts) -

Japanese people love Japanese shit.

#147 Posted by lordgodalming (164 posts) -
@InfiniteGeass: "  I cannot wait for this game to come out. I loved XIII, screw all the haters." 

Second this.
#148 Posted by gla55jAw (2686 posts) -

Holy Shit. This is awesome.

#149 Posted by Konanda (627 posts) -

Why is it a suprise? It still sold fairly well was relatively well recieved*  by those who played it and they had extra art assets that they never used. (Remember that entire game's worth of content they cut?) Why would they not make it?  

*If you actually read reviews you would see that it was generally positively recieved. Not on the same level as say 10 it still got decent reviews. Small sections of the Internet like some of the users on Giantbomb calling it terrible garbage that should never have existed are nowhere near representative of the people who bought it

#150 Posted by Allison (261 posts) -

That's great and all but..

Whatever happened to Final Fantasy 13 Versus? :(

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.