Final Fantasy XIII-2 Is A Real Video Game By Square Enix

#151 Posted by John1912 (1745 posts) -

After the complete shit that was FF13, why would I want more of it?

#152 Posted by DharmaBum (1060 posts) -

Clearly Square neglected to heed GB's advice of take a goddamn break.

#153 Posted by Xeridae (42 posts) -

lol same guy directing it that directed x-2 no wonder 13 was a flop even though we all bought it out of curiosity that doesn't mean the game was a success. Fire this guy. He has even said before that he wanted to direct movies but couldn't hack it and turned to the gaming biz. No wonder 13 feels like a movie that occasionally let's you play.

#154 Posted by nick_verissimo (1373 posts) -

So, is Final Fantasy Versus XIII still dead then?

#155 Posted by Brendan (7522 posts) -

Female armor designed to be titillating is the dumbest thing ever, and is somewhat of an insult to my brain.  Jury's still out on the game though.

#156 Posted by baggingspam (3 posts) -

I guess they found a way to use all that left over content from FFXIII

#157 Posted by SpanxMcFranks (87 posts) -

Absolutely not. DO NOT WANT!

#158 Posted by paulunga (1802 posts) -

2 years isn't a "crazy-quick turnaround". Hell, there's not even a two year gap between Mass Effect 2 & 3.

#159 Posted by captain_clayman (3301 posts) -

maybe they should try making it good

#160 Posted by Curufinwe (1223 posts) -
@Lebensbaum said:
" Clearly Square neglected to heed GB's advice of take a goddamn break. "
These are the same Giant Bomb guys who (apart from Brad) don't actually play FF games and who are eagerly awaiting yet another Mortal Kombat game.  Their opinions on Final Fantasy are mostly based on assumption and ignorance and carry zero weight.
#161 Edited by Curufinwe (1223 posts) -
@nick_verissimo said:

" So, is Final Fantasy Versus XIII still dead then? "

Really?  The news about on Versus XIII is on every other gaming website.
#162 Posted by Natalia (119 posts) -

I like FFXIII, but not nearly as much as FFX. I actually loved X-2. Here's hoping this game is amazing?

#163 Posted by ljgpliskin92 (171 posts) -
@Curufinwe said:
" @Lebensbaum said:
These are the same Giant Bomb guys who (apart from Brad) don't actually play FF games and who are eagerly awaiting yet another Mortal Kombat game.  Their opinions on Final Fantasy are mostly based on assumption and ignorance and carry zero weight. "
Well you can't just ignore the fact that, having played FF13, Brad agreed that the Final Fantasy franchise should take a break. That carries some weight if you ask me.
#164 Posted by Curufinwe (1223 posts) -

Brad did at least play the game, but the way Ryan carries on about FF like it raped his dog is really annoying.

#165 Posted by AuthenticM (3672 posts) -

Don't you dare talk yang about X-2 Kessler!!

#166 Posted by McDunkin (316 posts) -

I want this.  I'm just crossing my fingers that they ditch the linear level layouts and 20 hour combat tutorial and make it more of an open game like 12 was.

#167 Posted by lasafrog (124 posts) -

Final Fantasy games were once an event upon each release. I remember everyone eagery awaiting the US Final Fantasy III. VII, VIII, and IX were each such great little gems. And FFX is really charming and for me, the last actual Final Fantasy game. Once they started throwing low grade MMO garbage into the proper sequels it really, really diminished the value of all future releases. Couple that with the trend of more and more linear storylines, and there is absolutely no 'role playing' in these 'role playing games' anymore.  

Very disappointing, and I'd like them to take a break. Reboot in 5 years with something more than zany CGI.
#168 Posted by blaakmawf (542 posts) -

I'm down.

#169 Posted by ARTB (32 posts) -

I am genuinely looking forward to this, I enjoyed Final Fantasy XIII and even loved Final Fantasy X-2 in its day. Screw the haters, if you dont like it you don't have to play it.

#170 Posted by Spiritof (1988 posts) -

Actually, the last time I can definitively point to a game in the Final Fantasy franchise that tried to do something interesting, it was probably X-2. It was totally a "tongue in cheek" kinda game, but it was my kind of tongue in cheek.

#171 Posted by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -
@McDunkin said:
" I want this.  I'm just crossing my fingers that they ditch the linear level layouts and 20 hour combat tutorial and make it more of an open game like 12 was. "
They should just open with full battle functionality and restore this to FF with towns and such.
#172 Posted by JuggaloAcidman (257 posts) -

Awesome! Lets make a sequel to the worst Final Fantasy and not re-make seven like everyone wants! When was the last time Square produced a good game...? I can't remeber.
#173 Edited by BoOzak (840 posts) -

I didnt HATE FFXIII, it didnt turn out the way i hoped it would be & was kinda've a drag to play through at times but it had it's moments & was a good time waster if your into that sort of thing.

I really enjoyed FFX, yeah the main character was one've the most intolarable bastards to ever grace gaming but all the FF fundamentals were in check for better or worse. I did however HATE FFX-2. It wasnt the change in tone or the wierd J-Pop obsession but more the lack of any kind of meaningfull plot and the fact you dont gain any new party members throughout the ENTIRE game.

But.. if they applied the open endedness of FFX-2 to FFXIII-2 gave it a decent story kept the some-what less annoying characters (lighting, snow & sazh) & killed the whiny prepubescent  fucktards that seem to plague this series (vanille & hope) and throw in some genuinely intresting characters this could actually turn out okay. But thats a big goddamn if..

#174 Posted by thehuntsmen5434 (427 posts) -

OMFG I CAN'T WAIT!!!           I HOPE SHIVA TURNS INTO A SHELBY COBRA I LOVE THAT CAR!!!   OR A DODGE VIPER ANOTHER SWEET RIDE!! AND IFRIT SHOULD TURN INTO A B-52 PLANE JESUS CHRIST I AM MEGA EXCITEDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FFXIII sucked ass.

#175 Posted by RYNO9881 (625 posts) -

Wow what a reaction. I get the feeling that most of the hate has something to do with Final Fantasy taking home the take a break award. I hope they learn their mistakes and make this a better game.

#176 Posted by ptys (1757 posts) -

I'm down for this as I thought Lightning was a great protagonist, as she was a little more withdrawn than other lead characters. Sure the game played pretty poorly by today's standards but there is still a world there to explore if they make some big changes.

#177 Posted by Alphiehyr (1083 posts) -

Firstly, she's wearing too much armor - reduced to be more revealing.

#178 Posted by Chris2KLee (2308 posts) -

If this was as goofy as X-2 I could appreciate it at least from afar. Everything about this so far feels like a desperate move to put something on the shelves, without a real plan. The trailer is probably one of the most vapid things I've seen in awhile.

#179 Posted by Lautaro (448 posts) -
@ljgpliskin92 said:
" @Curufinwe said:
" @Lebensbaum said:
These are the same Giant Bomb guys who (apart from Brad) don't actually play FF games and who are eagerly awaiting yet another Mortal Kombat game.  Their opinions on Final Fantasy are mostly based on assumption and ignorance and carry zero weight. "
Well you can't just ignore the fact that, having played FF13, Brad agreed that the Final Fantasy franchise should take a break. That carries some weight if you ask me. "
Carries some weight with who? Anybody who follows these guys knows that they simply don't like JRPGs. Brads review carries around as much weight as a review of Madden written by Jeff. 

@paulunga
said:
" 2 years isn't a "crazy-quick turnaround". Hell, there's not even a two year gap between Mass Effect 2 & 3. "  
No but it's different, because it's Final Fantasy and therefore worse apparently.
#180 Posted by lucas_kelly (769 posts) -

They would have to make some pretty significant changes to the game before I would even consider buying it. 

#181 Posted by jNerd (2008 posts) -

I learned since the last game.... I'll rent this 1 (:

#182 Posted by gamefreak9 (2327 posts) -

pretty much the only thing i hated about the last game was linearity(maybe the battle system a little bit) but if they are pumping out a sequel, and i am assuming they read the reviews this has GREAT potential, 

#183 Posted by ocdog45 (675 posts) -

I don't see anything good coming from this. 

#184 Posted by PooffBallzZzZ (86 posts) -

Someone needs to get shot
#185 Posted by xyzygy (9637 posts) -

I read some articles about this, and the team has been looking at what the fans said about XIII. That blatantly says that they are going to make changes. Without question the biggest complaint from the original game is the linearity. So I'd say that we're looking at a legit world map on our hands here.

#186 Posted by Hailinel (22737 posts) -
@xyzygy said:
" I read some articles about this, and the team has been looking at what the fans said about XIII. That blatantly says that they are going to make changes. Without question the biggest complaint from the original game is the linearity. So I'd say that we're looking at a legit world map on our hands here. "
Not necessarily.  It could just mean more environments that aren't just a series of confined corridors.
#187 Posted by UlquioKani (934 posts) -
@ColonelT: It wasn't the worse. Its not like they are making a sequel to a bad game. 13 had its good parts and the bad parts could be altered
#188 Posted by Addfwyn (1914 posts) -
I may be in a minority here, but I am excited.  FFXIII was one of my games of the year for 2010, and I'd really love to see them do more with such a vibrant world they crafted. A  lot of the first one seemed to be about establishing that world.  

@Lautaro: I have to agree here, i love Giant Bomb, but they're just not the crew I go to for JRPG reviews.  Nothing against them for that, that's just not their thing.  Otherwise, we'd probably see  alot more coverage of some of the absolutely amazing PSP and DS games that got sadly neglected last year.
#189 Posted by theillusiveman0 (84 posts) -

Dont know how to take this but i hope its better than 13. Get rid of raidenHope and Vanille's creepy sighs, add an actual world to the game then there on the right track. Still pissed Versus doesnt have a date though.
#190 Posted by Scrumdidlyumptious (1636 posts) -

I'm actually looking forward to this. FF13 had a really interesting world and the stuff in the database was cool, it's just that we didn't get to see much of it (which is why I didn't enjoy 13). If this game expands on the world a bit more and is a better game I'll probably get it.

#191 Posted by Raviyn (45 posts) -

awesome!
#192 Posted by NoCookiesForYou (737 posts) -

God dammit Square Enix! Just dump this shit and make Type-O for PS3. That looks way better than anything Square has done in a while.

#193 Posted by McGhee (6091 posts) -

Those aren't assless chaps. It's just her thighs that are uncovered. 

If Lightning was wearing assless chaps my excitement for this game would go through the roof.

#194 Posted by Nictel (2312 posts) -

Well I don't know where the hate comes from?... I mean we've all done the tutorial now. So we can finally play the game! You should be happy..

#195 Posted by Lelcar (591 posts) -

I really liked Final Fantasy XIII, and I'm pretty excited for this game. It's gonna be on Gran Pulse (which are the wide open areas of the game), so hopefully all the haters can enjoy it now.

#196 Posted by skrutop (3615 posts) -

FFX-2 wasn't THAT bad.

#197 Posted by Lestater (394 posts) -

Now if only they could make it interesting...

#198 Posted by Emonk (22 posts) -

Glean. Not gleam. 

Sorry, pet peeve.

#199 Posted by Deeveeus (479 posts) -
@HadesTimes said:
" I guess 13 was more successful than most people thought. What ever happened to Final Fantasy versus 13? Or is this instead of that?  Or are they BOTH coming out? This is all rather strange, doesn't this strike anyone else as strange? "
I think that it sold well enough to make a game on the same engine quickly...which is FAR cheaper I would imagine. Perhaps they fix some of the wrongs with this one? (The battles system was great, weapons...not so much, linearity sucked too)
#200 Posted by Deeveeus (479 posts) -
@WinterSnowblind said:
" @wasteguru said:
" I'm willing to give it a chance. I have to agree with you Kessler in regards to Lightning's outfit. It completely defeats the point of her character and is purely there as a sex image. "
One of the few things I did like about XIII was Lightning.  

Have to say I'm very disappointed in her X-2 style new costume.  Goes completely against her character and looks ridiculous.  I am willing to give this one a chance, but it's already off to a bad start. "
I have images of the X-2 massage scene i my head...which made me trade it in immediately....please don't let this one go so insane...PLEAS!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.