Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII-2

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Dec 15, 2011

Final Fantasy XIII-2 is a direct sequel to Final Fantasy XIII released by Square Enix in early 2012.

On S-E, and how LIGHTNING DLC is an indicator to their future.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Dallas_Raines

Lighting is on the cover, she's in several cutscenes, but I can't fucking use the character untill I pay for this DLC? This DLC released ONE MONTH after the core game came out? Why not push the game's release forward by a month and make her playable in the core game? Damn, the future is looking like a dark and unholy place. Will I need to pay to see the game's TRUE ending too? What will XIII-III look like? Will I be forced to use just one character and then have to pay for each extra party member?

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ZenaxPure

This is honestly the worst argument ever about this subject. For starters the DLC for her is more about the challenging fight than using her in your monster pack. The ENTIRE idea of the colosseum is that as the game progresses we'll be able to purchase tougher enemies to fight if we want an extra challenge, capturing them is simply a side bonus. You can't even properly fight her until near the end of the game unless you go out of your way to grind, it's not that simple of a fight. It's not like she is alone either, there is another boss with the DLC and there is already another announced and on the way (probably next month).  

Furthermore she is not a party member, she is a monster, a ravager to be exact. She does not appear in cutscenes, she does not talk, you can not equip her with gear, you can not play as her on the field. All you can do is treat her like a monster. She's not even that good, either, there are better ravagers than her you can already get in the game. Her colosseum DLC is for the extra fights as all of the colosseum DLC will be. 

She is on the box because she is the macguffin in the game, were you also up in arms at the original 13 because crystalized pulse was on the boxart but only in the game for a matter of seconds? I highly doubt it.

makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By makari

On Nintendo, and how Zelda is an indicator to their future

The games are called Legend of Zelda but I never get to play as Zelda. When do I get to play as Zelda? Is she going to be DLC at some stage? It's been like 25 games and they only put the game where you play as Zelda on the CDI just so they could move hardware, a blatant cash-grab. And even worse some games don't even have Zelda in them despite her being in the name of the goddamn game. Even the remakes don't even have playable Zelda which obviously means they are saving her for the next iterations, making you buy all these Zelda-less games like a carrot on a stick as you hope and pray to maybe play as Zelda one day, it's almost sickening. This does not bode well for the future of the company if they so blatantly continue this trend of false advertisement.

Dookysharpgun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#4  Edited By Dookysharpgun

Final Fantasy 14. When you all but hemorrhage a large portion of your companies wealth on one of the worst MMORPGs of all time, so bad in fact, that you have to issue a public apology to all who bought it, and you lose god knows how much on its broken back, then you have to make money back any way you can. They literally have little-to-no choice in this. They've straight fucked themselves and now they have to do damage control.

...and if this is a snarky shot at the ME3 discussion of utterly different origin and topic, my answer still applies and makes this entire thing pointless.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#5  Edited By Hailinel

@Zenaxzd said:

This is honestly the worst argument ever about this subject. For starters the DLC for her is more about the challenging fight than using her in your monster pack. The ENTIRE idea of the colosseum is that as the game progresses we'll be able to purchase tougher enemies to fight if we want an extra challenge, capturing them is simply a side bonus. You can't even properly fight her until near the end of the game unless you go out of your way to grind, it's not that simple of a fight. It's not like she is alone either, there is another boss with the DLC and there is already another announced and on the way (probably next month).

Furthermore she is not a party member, she is a monster, a ravager to be exact. She does not appear in cutscenes, she does not talk, you can not equip her with gear, you can not play as her on the field. All you can do is treat her like a monster. She's not even that good, either, there are better ravagers than her you can already get in the game. Her colosseum DLC is for the extra fights as all of the colosseum DLC will be. She is on the box because she is the macguffin in the game, were you also up in arms at the original 13 because crystalized pulse was on the boxart but only in the game for a matter of seconds? I highly doubt it.

All of this, really. Better arguments could be made regarding the existence of Lightning's colosseum fight as DLC, but despite the OP's obvious intent to mimic/parody the recent Mass Effect 3 thread, his argument is too weak.

Panpipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Panpipe

Jesus, I could drown in this sea of fanboy tears.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @Hailinel said:

but despite the OP's obvious intent to mimic/parody the recent Mass Effect 3 thread, his argument is too weak.

This ME3 thread sounds like a terrible place to hang out if it's anything like this.
    Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@Hailinel said:

@Zenaxzd said:

Furthermore she is not a party member, she is a monster, a ravager to be exact. She does not appear in cutscenes, she does not talk, you can not equip her with gear, you can not play as her on the field. All you can do is treat her like a monster. She's not even that good, either, there are better ravagers than her you can already get in the game. Her colosseum DLC is for the extra fights as all of the colosseum DLC will be. She is on the box because she is the macguffin in the game, were you also up in arms at the original 13 because crystalized pulse was on the boxart but only in the game for a matter of seconds? I highly doubt it.

All of this, really. Better arguments could be made regarding the existence of Lightning's colosseum fight as DLC, but despite the OP's obvious intent to mimic/parody the recent Mass Effect 3 thread, his argument is too weak.

I get this is a joke thread, but it is pretty weird that the previous protagonist in FFXIII is not playable and acts, as has been mentioned, as a "MacGuffin" in the sequel, but is still the central focus of the box art. I'm not dogging Square Enix for it, I'm just confused by it.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#9  Edited By Hailinel

@Oldirtybearon said:

@Hailinel said:

@Zenaxzd said:

I get this is a joke thread, but it is pretty weird that the previous protagonist in FFXIII is not playable and acts, as has been mentioned, as a "MacGuffin" in the sequel, but is still the central focus of the box art. I'm not dogging Square Enix for it, I'm just confused by it.

Why is any MacGuffin given prominence? The Maltese Falcon is as famous as they come. It is the name of the film it appears in, but in the grand scheme of things, is an utterly meaningless trinket.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@Hailinel said:

@Oldirtybearon said:

@Hailinel said:

@Zenaxzd said:

Why is any MacGuffin given prominence? The Maltese Falcon is as famous as they come. It is the name of the film it appears in, but in the grand scheme of things, is an utterly meaningless trinket.

You have a point, but in general what's advertised on the box is a clear indication of what you'll find on the disc. Same goes for films and TV shows as well. It feels odd.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @Oldirtybearon: I don't think people should look that deep, really. For starters I believe only the standard North American edition of the game uses that box art. The CE along with the European (I think!) and Japanese box art all have the hand drawn Amano art. The asian box art has Serah with Lightning in the background of the scene. The reason North American standard editions get this crummy cover probably has something to do with the reason most North American games have in-game characters on the cover (shown to increase sales or some garbage). 

Besides, plenty of games have the macguffin on the cover. It's not like SE hid that Lightning wasn't playable or anything, they released about 1 trailer per week and the gameplay sections were showing the 2 new protagonists doing stuff, not Lightning.
    Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By Brendan

You did not point out how this is an indicator of SE's future. You simply stated a problem you have with the current situation. This thread is flawed.

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By kerse

@Zenaxzd said:

Totally agree, this is the stupidest thing I've ever heard anyone say about this. I would love to play Lightning more than anything in this game but its not about her.

What does suck is that I've beaten this DLC about 20 times now and I still do not have Lightning in my party, getting 5 stars every time too, starting to get annoyed especially since there are literally no other good ravagers past like the Augusta Tower.

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By zyn

The future is about DLC, right?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.