Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII-2

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Dec 15, 2011

Final Fantasy XIII-2 is a direct sequel to Final Fantasy XIII released by Square Enix in early 2012.

So, how is this different?

Rokkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Rokkaku

I played the original, and was, like many, underwhelmed and swiftly bored by the experience. Not that it wasn't without merit, however, what a beautiful creation it is. So, what's different? Most of all, have they tightened up that painful first 10/20 hours?

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By beforet

Some users have been playing the Japanese version so they could tell you about the beginning. As for more mechanical differences, there's a demo out and a few threads talking about it.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @Rokkaku said:

I played the original, and was, like many, underwhelmed and swiftly bored by the experience. Not that it wasn't without merit, however, what a beautiful creation it is. So, what's different? Most of all, have they tightened up that painful first 10/20 hours?

I guess for starters the demo (which you should try!) takes place in chapter 2 (which from my understanding is a couple hours into the game) and you have 3 party members and access to every class to spec how you want. So one of the things that 13 didn't allow for like 20 hours is in the first 2 hours of 13-2. Also side quests etc if that's your thing, which I have to admit the 2 in the demo were pretty well designed as one was an optional boss who was fairly challenging in comparison to the rest of the enemies (I can not 5 star this man and it annoys me!) and the other is complete-able simply by following the main path.
    Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By Addfwyn

Bit of a slow response, sorry. As far as tightening up the first 10-20 hours, if you mean do things open up sooner, than the answer is yes. After the first 2-3 hours of the game, you basically have free reign to go about and sidequest or explore. The game as a whole is a lot more open, a bit too open for my tastes (though I still like the game quite a lot). The combat is the closest thing to the original, which is a good thing as that was some of the best RPG combat I've experienced. Story, pacing, characters, are generally pretty new even if the setting is the same world.

Depending what you liked/disliked from the first, you should probably like this. Not sure what you actually disliked from XIII though to comment more on

StitchJones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By StitchJones

Another poor FF game, this is just as messy as XIII. Square-Enix has really been falling hard. :-(

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Animasta

@StitchJones said:

Another poor FF game, this is just as messy as XIII. Square-Enix has really been falling hard. :-(

funnily enough other people have been saying differently so

jetsetwillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jetsetwillie

@Animasta: but that is the standard generic internet hate response. he's just quoting what he's read

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By tunaburn

i liked FF13. and im super excited for this one. i would of loved for it to be more open exploration and thats whats really different here. i think this might be one of my top games this year.

StitchJones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By StitchJones

@Animasta: The framework is the same, and the battle system. You could say that is a good thing. However the story and progression are really the BIG issues I have. Again, this is really my view and standpoint on it. I of course do not expect everyone to agree with my view. I am just really let down again, that's all.

Vrikk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Vrikk

@jetsetwillie said:

@Animasta: but that is the standard generic internet hate response. he's just quoting what he's read

Except it's true. A lot of their recent games deserve the negativity because of how far Square has fallen from the PS1 era.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#11  Edited By musubi

@Vrikk said:

@jetsetwillie said:

Except it's true. A lot of their recent games deserve the negativity because of how far Square has fallen from the PS1 era.

I think people have their nostalgia glasses wrapped on way to hard. In fact.. I kind of actively hate FF7 for giving square the idea to make a series of horrible spin-off games as well as a fucking awful CGI movie.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Yanngc33

Two words: Time Travel

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By kerse

@Animasta said:

@StitchJones said:

I really liked FF13, and Human Revolution is great as well, I don't think SE is doing that poorly.

insidergamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By insidergamer
    @kerse

@Animasta said:

@StitchJones said:

I really liked FF13, and Human Revolution is great as well, I don't think SE is doing that poorly.

I believe DX:HR was developed by Eidos though, just published by SE. Don't mean to nitpick, but feel it's a fair point to make.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.