shinjiex's Final Fantasy XIII-2 (Xbox 360) review

The 2nd Impact

Final Fantasy XIII-2 is the fallow up to Final Fantasy XIII the 2nd game in the XIII series which is planned to be 3 parts
ending with the original standalone mysterious title  "Versus XIII"

The Pros +

Interesting story that has to do with time & space and cause of that manages to feel like less of "sequel" but a game that can stand on it's own merits
Serah is the protagonist who I believe was the most interesting non playable character from Final Fantasy XIII Lightnings sister & Noel a Sora wannabe from Kingdom Hearts LOL
Revamped battle system arguably the best in the series but as well when it comes to JRPG Japanese Role Playing Games in general with a few new tweaks such as enemies are no longer on the field in real time instead they now randomly pop up allowing you to counter nearly every enemy via pressing the A button to attack given you the advantage with such perks as haste at the start of battle but as well enemies are still avoidable for the most part
New open fields/dungeons & settlements teaming with NPC to take Sub Quests from given you more breathing room to explore to it's full potential allowing to see the world that you only saw partially in the original game
High replay value there are minor events that affect the game that will drive you to want to play again to see the slight differences
Monster type Pokemon collecting system have monster battle with you as the 3rd member of the party during battles
Moogle & Chocobo get proper fan service for a change
The Cons -
New level up system is a dumb down more liner version then the original game which is somewhat ironic
Some Sub Quest issues finding and completing them can be confusing in some cases they can completely vanish without notice
"possible patch could address this?"
The name "XIII-2" may turn off players since some were miffed from the original game
that being fans of Serah & Lightning and the battle system may be the only ones who get the full fulfillment out of this game
however new players to the XIII series won't be disappointed with the 2nd installment

Posted by drac96

Where did you hear that Versus 13 is supposed to be a sequel to this? I'm pretty sure that is not the case.

Posted by ShinjiEx
Versus XIII It's based off the same world where XIII & XIII-2 reside
Also it's called Final Fantasy XIII Versus
Posted by SeattleOriginal

Quick quote from IGN about 13 Versus not being a sequel to this at all. "Final Fantasy Versus XIII is, according to its developers, a wholly independent story unfolding with different characters and a different visual design. Although it is set within the same Final Fantasy XIII universe, it is unrelated to any other entry within the series and is thus neither a sequel nor a prequel to any other entries in the Fabula Nova Crystallis: Final Fantasy series."

Posted by WMoyer83

I think Versus 13 will have some ties to the FF13 and 13-2....just my opinion. Good review!

Edited by drac96

@SeattleOriginal: Yeah, I was under the impression that this was true. It also makes sense, because Versus 13 looks totally different. There are modern day cars and guns. They're supposed to take part in the same world, but Versus is not a direct sequel like the review implies.

Edit: I also see the review has been changed to reflect this.