Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 09, 2010

This entry into the Final Fantasy universe is set in the worlds of Pulse and Cocoon. Players take control of multiple characters who are caught in a war between these worlds.

A rambling about the first 20 hours.

• 83 results
    Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

Edited By Ace829

No Caption Provided

You’re wondering how I’ve only played 20 hours since the last time I blogged about this almost 2 months ago. That reason is because of my new PS3 that I bought in December has sucked me in with it's fantastic exclusives. I'll get into that another time but for now, my first 20 hours of Final Fantasy XIII!

I don’t like it. From the confusing intro, to the annoying characters, to the very forgettable setting, this game has been mediocre so far. However, I don’t hate it at all, the graphics are absolutely gorgeous, the battle system is enjoyable to look at and play, and the music, while not memorable, is catchy and nice to listen to.

My biggest problem with the game’s story is why should I give a shit? Due to the game’s very linear gameplay, absence of the JRPG staple “towns”, and refusal to explain anything without me going to the game’s dictionary, I really don’t care about Cocoon’s fate. I don’t even know what it looks like! All I can imagine is literally a giant cocoon moon world orbiting an earth-like Pulse. Anyway, the world of Cocoon has no personality other than it has an irrational hatred for Pulse l’Cie and that it’s a weird mix of steampunk and Tron.  

The characters are mostly forgettable with a few on the irritating side (Snow The Stereotypical Saturday Morning Cartoon Hero, and Vanille who’s still very weird and voiced inappropriately). Sahz is the only character who I somewhat like. He just wants to end this badly told story and be with his only son. Hope has gotten better and is the only one with some form of character development.   

On to the gameplay, I do love how the battle scenes look when I’m kicking the monster’s asses. Square Enix decided to make the battles more cinematic and I believe they succeeded with some battles even getting my adrenaline pumped for a bit. Although, it got me thinking that Square Enix wants to make movies more than video games because some of the mechanics are pretty flawed. The summons are useless due to the crappy amount of damage they produce and whatever stagger they produced are automatically reset once the summon goes away. The fact that you lose if the character you control dies is very irritating. Couldn’t Square Enix just let you switch control to another character who could then revive the fallen character? This fact isn’t helped by the fact that there are bosses that deal so much damage to one character that they’ll die even if they were at full health! Playing as Lightning in the battle against Barthandelus, I spent a good 20 minutes chipping down his insane amount of health (another stupid problem, why artificially make the boss harder with this crap!? It’s not fun at all) before his ultimate attack kills Lightning, who cannot guard, despite her being at full health. It sucks that one little mistake can ruin 20 minutes of flawless effort against a broken boss. /rant  

So yeah, I’m struggling to keep playing this game, but I must because I have this irrational sense of duty to complete every single game I own. I also have a huge backlog of unplayed/unfinished games. I need to stop buying games. Anyway, that’s it for Final Fantasy XIII 20 hours in. I’m glad to know that this game gave me the privilege to change my battle team after 20 hours but whatever I can now hope the game gets much better after all this crap. Check back tomorrow for my impressions on my PS3, all 4 people who care! 
    Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Ace829

No Caption Provided

You’re wondering how I’ve only played 20 hours since the last time I blogged about this almost 2 months ago. That reason is because of my new PS3 that I bought in December has sucked me in with it's fantastic exclusives. I'll get into that another time but for now, my first 20 hours of Final Fantasy XIII!

I don’t like it. From the confusing intro, to the annoying characters, to the very forgettable setting, this game has been mediocre so far. However, I don’t hate it at all, the graphics are absolutely gorgeous, the battle system is enjoyable to look at and play, and the music, while not memorable, is catchy and nice to listen to.

My biggest problem with the game’s story is why should I give a shit? Due to the game’s very linear gameplay, absence of the JRPG staple “towns”, and refusal to explain anything without me going to the game’s dictionary, I really don’t care about Cocoon’s fate. I don’t even know what it looks like! All I can imagine is literally a giant cocoon moon world orbiting an earth-like Pulse. Anyway, the world of Cocoon has no personality other than it has an irrational hatred for Pulse l’Cie and that it’s a weird mix of steampunk and Tron.  

The characters are mostly forgettable with a few on the irritating side (Snow The Stereotypical Saturday Morning Cartoon Hero, and Vanille who’s still very weird and voiced inappropriately). Sahz is the only character who I somewhat like. He just wants to end this badly told story and be with his only son. Hope has gotten better and is the only one with some form of character development.   

On to the gameplay, I do love how the battle scenes look when I’m kicking the monster’s asses. Square Enix decided to make the battles more cinematic and I believe they succeeded with some battles even getting my adrenaline pumped for a bit. Although, it got me thinking that Square Enix wants to make movies more than video games because some of the mechanics are pretty flawed. The summons are useless due to the crappy amount of damage they produce and whatever stagger they produced are automatically reset once the summon goes away. The fact that you lose if the character you control dies is very irritating. Couldn’t Square Enix just let you switch control to another character who could then revive the fallen character? This fact isn’t helped by the fact that there are bosses that deal so much damage to one character that they’ll die even if they were at full health! Playing as Lightning in the battle against Barthandelus, I spent a good 20 minutes chipping down his insane amount of health (another stupid problem, why artificially make the boss harder with this crap!? It’s not fun at all) before his ultimate attack kills Lightning, who cannot guard, despite her being at full health. It sucks that one little mistake can ruin 20 minutes of flawless effort against a broken boss. /rant  

So yeah, I’m struggling to keep playing this game, but I must because I have this irrational sense of duty to complete every single game I own. I also have a huge backlog of unplayed/unfinished games. I need to stop buying games. Anyway, that’s it for Final Fantasy XIII 20 hours in. I’m glad to know that this game gave me the privilege to change my battle team after 20 hours but whatever I can now hope the game gets much better after all this crap. Check back tomorrow for my impressions on my PS3, all 4 people who care! 
    Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Marcsman

It sucks in general.
    PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By PixelPrinny

Insert opinionated one-liner here.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#4  Edited By Hailinel
    @Marcsman said:
    " It sucks in general. "
    So do you.
    Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Pinworm45

I love how people always refer to "the first 20 hours of this game". It's twenty fucking hours. TWENTY. HOURS. That's not a prologue or even an act 1, I don't give a shit how good the finale is or how long the game is. That's not worth it. I'd tolerate maybe an hour or two of a game being shit if I really, really think it can get better. But 20 hours? come on. I'm convinced that everyone saying it gets decent after that is just lying to themselves so they feel like their time wasn't wasted. That or get so used to the badness that it stops bothering them after 20 hours.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By ProfessorEss

I keep thinking about borrowing my friend's copy as I'd love to see what the combat system is all about (the one aspect I've heard non-stop good things about) but man, I just can't bring myself to start a game that's still presenting tutorial material and gameplay feature introductions 15-20 hours in.

Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Cornman89

God, there is nothing more aggravating than watching your party leader be cut down by an insta-kill. I definitely would've liked to be able to switch party leaders if my current leader died. Bosses in that game, after a certain point, stopped being fun. But I really enjoyed normal battles, so it's kind of opposite of most other RPGs for me. I think these are all things Square can address in a sequel, maybe.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BraveToaster

20 hours is too much of a wait. I barely made it to 10.

Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Ace829
    @Cornman89:  I would be willing to try the sequel if they do address these problems, but I have no hope that there will be any semblance of a good story because its a sequel to a crappy story. I may sound like I'm jumping the gun since I'm just halfway through the game, but I just don't see any sign of the story getting good. I am looking at that game closely because there are a few aspects of the game that would be nice to see evolving.

@Pinworm45: I am willing to play the game after 20 hours of nothing special because I kinda hate myself. Although, if the boss fights do get more reasonable I could see myself declaring this an "okay" game.

@ProfessorEss: The tutorials 20 hours in actually amused me more than anything. "I can finally change my battle team now! Awesome! /sarcasm" This would've been a much better game if they presented a good story to go along with the decent gameplay and great graphics.

@filthreaper: At this point, Square Enix should just move into the film industry with their obsession of CGI and flashy action scenes. They could be the Japanese version of summer blockbuster movies .
    @PixelPrinny said:
    " Insert opinionated one-liner here. "
    Alan Wake doesn't like you. XP
    BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Here's how I describe this game from now on:

"God these first 20 hours suck, but it gets better when I get to that open area right?"
    ~gets to whatever that place is called~
    "...well...this is better I guess, but I realize I hate this game now."

@Pinworm45 said:

" I love how people always refer to "the first 20 hours of this game". It's twenty fucking hours. TWENTY. HOURS. That's not a prologue or even an act 1, I don't give a shit how good the finale is or how long the game is. That's not worth it. I'd tolerate maybe an hour or two of a game being shit if I really, really think it can get better. But 20 hours? come on. I'm convinced that everyone saying it gets decent after that is just lying to themselves so they feel like their time wasn't wasted. That or get so used to the badness that it stops bothering them after 20 hours. "

And this. Can I just say for the record that when Brad said (and I might not be quoting this to 100% accuracy) "it sucks that it takes 20 hours for this game to get fun," I'm surprised by the lack of reaction from anyone else on the Bombcast. Like you said Pin, after T-W-E-N-T-Y fucking hours, I don't think you can say the game suddenly gets good. At that point you're suffering from Stockholm's syndrome.
    Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Cornman89
    @Ace829: I also thought the story wasn't very gripping, but at the risk of spoiling the ending, it's basically a "hey, we're in a whole new world!" situation. So the sequel could springboard into literally anything, bringing in as much-or as little-baggage from the prequel as the writers see fit. I don't know if that's a point in its favor, though. We'll see.
    kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By kashif1

I'm still gonna try it at some point

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
    deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Ace829: You're a better gamer than I. I barely got through six of hours of XIII before throwing my arms up in exasperation and proclaiming, "DONE!".
    WatanabeKazuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By WatanabeKazuma

For a game that you have already played 20 hours of this will sound stupid, but you should give it more time if you saw things that you like.

The game is a paradox but I feel it gets a much rouger time than it deserves, it's weighed down by expectation of the franchise, but I guess that it partly it's own fault.

I can understand if you are finished with it now though, it's a commitment more so than most other games especially if you are unsure about it.

I really enjoyed but I didn't like it as much as XII and that was a game that split opinion to begin with.

PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By PixelPrinny

You know what sucks? Being stuck with Kain in your group at the end of FFIV. Rosa should have taken out a restraining order on that treacherous bastard. Bring back Tellah! He woulda gone up to Zeromus and been all like, "To hell with you, you spoony bard!" and then cast Meteo and died... again. Or hell, Yang's wife shoulda come along. She hits things like a truck with her frying pan!

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#17  Edited By Yummylee

One of the reasons why I haven't bothered to even give it a chance yet is the characters all look so fucking annoying to me, and with all the blogs/reviews/ect I've read from all directions isn't proving me wrong all that much. I mean any character in a game called 'Hope' makes me gag. Is that some another stylised JRPG character name or does it is literally supposed act as a sign for hope

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By McGhee

Actually when I got to the open area I lost interest. 
    The story is not hard to follow at all. I don't know why so many people keep saying this. To put it simply. A "god" from pulse grabs the main characters and marks them, giving them a mission that is believed to be detrimental to Cacoon. If they do not complete this mission they will be turned into monsters. If they do they will be turned into crystal and supposedly gain eternal life. 
    Lightning is an awesome main character. She not just another obnoxious young boy. 
    Vanille is cute and her voice works perfectly. The crazed hatred for her always seems strange to me. 
    If you're having trouble with Barthandelus that means you're not using the right paradigms and you're not switching them when you should. 
    All of this to say that I just started replaying this game and I completely disagree with you. :)

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

Everyone saying that the game gets better 20 hours in - how?  I beat Barthandelus, made my way through the shitty forced grinding tower of repetitive enemies, and the world opened up... into a barren, lifeless wasteland with nothing waiting for me but more random battles and some new annoying as hell and overpowered bosses?  Speaking as an actual masochist, that game does not become 'fun' when you hit pulse, it just shows you how much the towns, NPCs, and the trimming between the combat in the old games added.  Their absence is palpable.

Edit: And still, I say that the game is good, because the world they build would be fantastic if you got to see more of it.  Cocoon sounds like a genuinely interesting place, but all you do there is fight enemies- hell, it's all you do anywhere.  I sincerely hope that XIII-2 lets you visit the places that XIII forced you to read about to enjoy.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Nasar7
    @Abyssfull said:
    " One of the reasons why I haven't bothered to even give it a chance yet is the characters all look so fucking annoying to me, and with all the blogs/reviews/ect I've read from all directions isn't proving me wrong all that much. I mean any character in a game called 'Hope' makes me gag. Is that some another stylised JRPG character name or does it is literally supposed act as a sign for hope?  "
    The idea of "hope" as a name is pretty common in the non-english speaking world. It's when it's coming from a very japanese rpg with stupid character design and cliche characterization that you know will be melodramatic as hell, thats when it all seems just plain dumb.
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @WatanabeKazuma said:

The game is a paradox but I feel it gets a much rouger time than it deserves, it's weighed down by expectation of the franchise, but I guess that it partly it's own fault.

Weighted down, but lifted up at the same time.
    One could argue that it was the expectations that let everybody down, but one could also argue that if it didn't have Final Fantasy on the cover of the box, no one would have even played it long enough to care.
    There are very few franchises out there that people are be willing to spend 15-20 hours "feeling things out".
    haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By haggis
    @McGhee_the_Insomniac said:
    "Vanille is cute and her voice works perfectly. The crazed hatred for her always seems strange to me."
    Vanille is the chief reason why I can't bring myself to go back and play more. Her voice, her behavior ... it's like she was designed for Japanese pedophiles to drool over. I can't imagine why anyone would like her character. When I hit hour fifteen, it was her cutscenes that were the first I just absolutely had to skip.
    Lemoncookie01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Lemoncookie01

Yup,Sazh was the only reason I kept playing.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By phantomzxro
    @Lemoncookie01 said:
    " Yup,Sazh was the only reason I kept playing. "
    agreed
    McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By McGhee
    @haggis:  
    Pedophilia is being attracted to pre-pubescent children. Vanille does not look like a little child. She acts more cutesy at the beginning of the game more than later in the game. Besides, even though her voice is cute it is also not that of a child. So everything you've said makes no sense.
    Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Ace829
    @Abyssfull:  It's actually a bit of both, unfortunately, however Hope isn't as annoying as you would think he is. He does change for the better, and matures. 

@Cornman89 said:
    " @Ace829: I also thought the story wasn't very gripping, but at the risk of spoiling the ending, it's basically a "hey, we're in a whole new world!" situation. So the sequel could springboard into literally anything, bringing in as much-or as little-baggage from the prequel as the writers see fit. I don't know if that's a point in its favor, though. We'll see. "
    That's kinda promising. I'm just hoping they would focus on expanding the lore of this underdeveloped world because as I've said before, it's just a bland universe this time around.

@kashif1 said:
    " I'm still gonna try it at some point "
    Even though I have criticized it heavily, it's still worth a shot. I decided to bite at $30, but that was back in May. It should be $20 in some places new or used.

@WatanabeKazuma: I absolutely hated FFXII for entirely different reasons. It played like a slow-paced MMO with grinding up the arse. The story was fine from what I've played though Vaan and Penelo should just go away. They were completely unnecessary. 

@McGhee_the_Insomniac: My main issue was the intro of the game. It threw me into battle with no idea what the hell was going on. At least some of the previous FFs has a prologue scene that introduced the setting. FFXIII wanted to throw flashy visuals in my face and throw around words I never heard of like as though they were normal.

@Make_Me_Mad: This is also what I mean with me not caring about the universe. The game doesn't relax with the flashy action scenes to tell or show you what the hell place you're trying to save. "We're saving Cocoon because it's a great place!" "What makes it so great?" "Uhh...because of reasons!"
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Hailinel

I didn't have any problem with the first twenty hours.  The story was moving along at a good pace.  Things were happening.  New abilities were becoming available as I progressed.  It's hardly the bland tutorial people claim it is.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#28  Edited By EpicSteve

Welcome to 7 months ago. I didn't make it past 4 hours. 

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#29  Edited By toowalrus

I just started playing it yesterday. I like it more than I thought I would, actually, I like everything about it... Except the characters. I haven't played a jrpg in a long-ass time, so I'm playing it for what it is, not what my nostalgic opinion of what a JRPG should be, I really don't give a shit if there aren't conventional towns. Of course, I'm only 5 hours deep, so we'll se how that changes.

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Aus_azn
    I quite like Lightning's stoic demeanor, and how her character develops. Sazh is, as far as the game is concerned, a can of pure awesomeness.

I found the battle system to gravitate towards physical attackers; I couldn't stand casting and that's why Fang ended up as my "main". The automatic failure resulting from the death of your main also pisses me off to no end; luckily the game isn't particularly hard.

Yes, the first 20 hours are tedious, but I guess it was worth it in the end.

@haggis said:
    " @McGhee_the_Insomniac said:
    "Vanille is cute and her voice works perfectly. The crazed hatred for her always seems strange to me."
    Vanille is the chief reason why I can't bring myself to go back and play more. Her voice, her behavior ... it's like she was designed for Japanese pedophiles to drool over. I can't imagine why anyone would like her character. When I hit hour fifteen, it was her cutscenes that were the first I just absolutely had to skip. "
    This. I died a little every single time I heard her voice and saw her act.
    Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Simplexity

I am at the 23 hour mark, this game feels like a endurance test, it just gets harder and harder. But eventually it surely has to become the greatest game ever made right? 

...Right?

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Aus_azn
    @Prodstep said:
    " I am at the 23 hour mark, this game feels like a endurance test, it just gets harder and harder. But eventually it surely has to become the greatest game ever made right?   ...  ...Right? "
    I loved the game and I'm going to be honest.

"No."
    Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Cornman89

@Ace829: With regards to not caring about the universe, I thought FFXIII was less concerned with a strong narrative thread than the main party's emotional reaction to the fairly basic "l'Cie" dilemma. It's a story really about the interpersonal dynamic within your group-not unlike Mass Effect 2, now that I think about it. I guess that's the benefit of being a sequel: the lore is already established. ME also has a lot of expository dialogue behind that "Investigate" tab, so there's more opportunity to learn if you're curious.

Anyway, yeah, I can definitely sympathize with your not caring about Cocoon. It's not the most impressive bit of world building I've ever seen, and while it's clear to me their goals were elsewhere, they still could have done more. I want to blame it on the lack of a supporting cast, but maybe it's the game's relentless forward momentum that makes the world so forgettable. Hopefully, Pulse will be more of a presence in the sequel.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By haggis
    @McGhee_the_Insomniac said:
    " @haggis:  Pedophilia is being attracted to pre-pubescent children. Vanille does not look like a little child. She acts more cutesy at the beginning of the game more than later in the game. Besides, even though her voice is cute it is also not that of a child. So everything you've said makes no sense. "
    Okay, then, a Japanese ephebophile, then. But I find semantic arguments over this to be thin gruel. My point is that she's an adult acting like the popular Japanese stereotype of childish behavior, so that older men can lust after her without feeling like pervs.

Her voice certainly is that of a child. And so is her behavior. And everything I said makes perfectly good sense. Like the character if you want, but it's hard to deny that she was created with a certain cultural stereotype in mind. And I find it off-putting.
    HS21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#35  Edited By HS21

Stopped playing when it got all free roamy. I'll probably finish it one day, game is just so flawed.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Hailinel
    @haggis said:
    " @haggis:  Pedophilia is being attracted to pre-pubescent children. Vanille does not look like a little child. She acts more cutesy at the beginning of the game more than later in the game. Besides, even though her voice is cute it is also not that of a child. So everything you've said makes no sense. "
    Okay, then, a Japanese ephebophile, then. But I find semantic arguments over this to be thin gruel. My point is that she's an adult acting like the popular Japanese stereotype of childish behavior, so that older men can lust after her without feeling like pervs.

Her voice certainly is that of a child. And so is her behavior. And everything I said makes perfectly good sense. Like the character if you want, but it's hard to deny that she was created with a certain cultural stereotype in mind. And I find it off-putting. "
    Why are you singling Japanese people out in particular in your attempt to insinuate deviant sexual preferences?  You're projecting an idea onto others through some rather wide leaps in logic:

Pretty Teenage Girl + Cute Voice + "Skip to My Lou" Run Animation = Obviously Designed For Sexual Predators

What.
    blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By blueduck
    @haggis said:

Her voice certainly is that of a child. And so is her behavior. And everything I said makes perfectly good sense. Like the character if you want, but it's hard to deny that she was created with a certain cultural stereotype in mind. And I find it off-putting. "
    Sounds like he's mad you called out his love of Japanese children!
    SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By SomeJerk

Once I saw a self-proclaimed JRPG lover who wanted the old style JRPGs back berate FF13 because it took 60 hours to finish. There's one in every village. I'm happy they made a 60 hour long game that lacked filler corridors, never once did I feel like something was put in there to delay me and increase the playtime, but then again, Japanese designed game.

Vanille has a honest to god tolerable Japanese voice, which was completely unexpected, there's less moaning and grunting moving around in it too. Wtf localized version?

As for the pedo/ebo talk, ever look at Snow and Serah together? Yeeeesch that looks wrong

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By haggis
    @Hailinel:  "You're projecting an idea onto others through some rather wide leaps in logic:  Pretty Teenage Girl + Cute Voice + "Skip to My Lou" Run Animation = Obviously Designed For Sexual Predators "

Um ... that's your logic, not mine. Who's projecting again? Vanille's characteristics are in line with a typical subset of Japanese hentai. Since the developers are Japanese, I'd find it difficult to imagine they didn't know that when they were creating the character. I'm "singling out" Japanese because the game is made by Japanese developers and the character is based on a stereotype found in some subsets of Japanese porn. So, what's the problem here?

@blueduck said:

" Sounds like he's mad you called out his love of Japanese children! "

Perhaps. Most likely he just doesn't know what he's talking about.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Hailinel
    @haggis said:
    " @Hailinel:  "You're projecting an idea onto others through some rather wide leaps in logic:  Pretty Teenage Girl + Cute Voice + "Skip to My Lou" Run Animation = Obviously Designed For Sexual Predators "

Um ... that's your logic, not mine. Who's projecting again? Vanille's characteristics are in line with a typical subset of Japanese hentai. Since the developers are Japanese, I'd find it difficult to imagine they didn't know that when they were creating the character. I'm "singling out" Japanese because the game is made by Japanese developers and the character is based on a stereotype found in some subsets of Japanese porn. So, what's the problem here?

@blueduck said:

" Sounds like he's mad you called out his love of Japanese children! "

Perhaps. Most likely he just doesn't know what he's talking about. "
    What typical subset?  You're billing yourself as being amazingly versed in the genre.
    Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Akeldama
    @Hailinel said:
    " I didn't have any problem with the first twenty hours.  The story was moving along at a good pace.  Things were happening.  New abilities were becoming available as I progressed.  It's hardly the bland tutorial people claim it is. "
    Exactly. Haters gonna hate.
    haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By haggis
    @Hailinel: No, just aware of it, as I'm sure most people who are fans of JRPGs are. As for the typical subset, think lolicon.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Hailinel
    @haggis said:
    " @Hailinel: No, just aware of it, as I'm sure most people who are fans of JRPGs are. As for the typical subset, think lolicon. "
    Whatever you say, chief.  You're projecting sexual deviance onto a character that does not engage in any sexual activity at all over the course of the game.
    C2C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#44  Edited By C2C

Quite honestly I'm surprised your still chugging along the game if you really didn't like a lot of the battle mechanics or the story :/  I enjoyed the game because of the really fast and lean nature of the battles.  But then again, I've heard weird things like people beating FF13 because they really like the game's story.   

Aside from some cinematic boss battles, don't expect the game to get too much better unfortunately.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By haggis
    @Hailinel said:
    " @haggis said:
    " @Hailinel: No, just aware of it, as I'm sure most people who are fans of JRPGs are. As for the typical subset, think lolicon. "
    Whatever you say, chief.  You're projecting sexual deviance onto a character that does not engage in any sexual activity at all over the course of the game. "
    Disagree with me if you like, but you still haven't said anything of substance. All I'm claiming is that she is the embodiment of a specific stereotype I find irritating. I never said she did anything sexual in the game. Everytime I answer you, you move the goalposts. You could however offer an argument that I'm wrong, but in the end it doesn't matter. I don't like the character and you seem to. Oh well.
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By MikkaQ
    @PrimeSynergy said:
     Can I just say for the record that when Brad said (and I might not be quoting this to 100% accuracy) "it sucks that it takes 20 hours for this game to get fun," I'm surprised by the lack of reaction from anyone else on the Bombcast. Like you said Pin, after T-W-E-N-T-Y fucking hours, I don't think you can say the game suddenly gets good. At that point you're suffering from Stockholm's syndrome. "
    This is definitely what bothers me the most about Final Fantasy 13, that in the time it takes to get good or for the tutorial bullshit to really end, I can beat both Uncharted 2, and Arkham Asylum on my first playthroughs, and have a much better time. 
    Juno500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Juno500

I actually found that the bigger problem in XIII was that in the first two chapters you have no access to paradigms or the crystarium. I get that they wanted to introduce the battle system one step at a time, but they waited too long. I was getting bored with it by the middle of chapter 2, but once I got to chapter 3 my enjoyment with the game rose exponentially, and had fun with the game the rest of the way.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By AlexW00d

I hate how everyone who defends this game always spurt out the same shit about it being cool to hate the game and that people that hate it are idiots and blah blah blah, but they never actually provide valid arguments, whereas people who didn't like the game provide very valid arguments. 

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Hailinel
    @haggis:  You've said even less of substance and went out of your way to deride people you know nothing about.

@AlexW00d said:
    " I hate how everyone who defends this game always spurt out the same shit about it being cool to hate the game and that people that hate it are idiots and blah blah blah, but they never actually provide valid arguments, whereas people who didn't like the game provide very valid arguments.  "

That's not what everyone that liked the game says in its defense.  Some of us actually do make points.  Others just choose not to pay those points any attention at all.
    AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By AlexW00d
    @Hailinel said:
    " @haggis:  You've said even less of substance and went out of your way to deride people you know nothing about.

@AlexW00d said:
    " I hate how everyone who defends this game always spurt out the same shit about it being cool to hate the game and that people that hate it are idiots and blah blah blah, but they never actually provide valid arguments, whereas people who didn't like the game provide very valid arguments.  "
    That's not what everyone that liked the game says in its defense.  Some of us actually do make points.  Others just choose not to pay those points any attention at all. "
    All you've done in this thread is take multiple points someone has said and throw them aside with petty comments, not once have you made a valid point, something I seem to have seen you do in multiple threads. 
    So please, say something that shows you know what you are talking about, please.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.