Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 09, 2010

This entry into the Final Fantasy universe is set in the worlds of Pulse and Cocoon. Players take control of multiple characters who are caught in a war between these worlds.

Am I seriously the only person who doesn't HATE Final Fantasy XIII

• 167 results
    bigwhiteyeti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Am I seriously the only person who doesn't HATE Final Fantasy XIII (316 votes)

What is wrong with you? That game is flaming dog shit! 24%
    I think the Internet overreacts a bit; there are good parts and bad. 38%
    I liked it! 30%
    I can't read ROMAN NVMERALS. 9%

I feel like the amount of vitriol for this game is ridiculous. Yes the story is convoluted and soapy. But it's a JRPG. If you can explain Kingdom Hearts to me, give it a try. And yes, the corridor that is the first 20 hours is lame, but it's just a different style of game. FFX was just as linear, and everyone loves that.

I'm in the process of playing it right now and I love the battle system. The game also looks gorgeous, and the voice acting is pretty good (Vanille excluded). I don't love every character (Hope can die in a fire), but at least it's entertaining- and it does a great job at providing an entertaining spectacle. Some of the enemy design is incredibly detailed and impressive, and the set pieces are really cool.

I don't know; I just feel like everyone hates the game without considering that it may actually be pretty good even if it's not a typical Final Fantasy formula. Thoughts?

• 
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@hailinel said:

@xalienxgreyx: Done? You two talked back and forth about why you didn't like the game. You didn't win any arguments or debates. It's presumptuous of you to state that you've somehow proved your point as fact.

Well all that are facts you dont realized it?and its obvious for anyone who played the game and It is not simple like that those are the reasons why the game is hated, this is a JRPG you know that right? for a JRPG the absence of elements pertaining to it and the linearity is unaceptable [linearity is the sworn enemy of a JRPG],i believe that the people who complain about FFXIII really loved the franchise and they dont want to see it being ridicularized this way,this morbid game and its sequels can serve as a example for future FF and that is exactly what worries us.

Two questions:

Is English your second language?

Do you understand the concept of opinion?

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@video_game_king: Coming from the user who posts mildly humorous >25 word posts that do nothing to contribute to the thread, I find this pretty humorous.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#153  Edited By Video_Game_King

@likeassur:

There's a difference between what I do and what you did. If I merely distract from conversation, your post aimed to shut it down.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
    deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't hate it.

It is shitty though.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#155  Edited By BabyChooChoo

No, you are not.

I think it's fucking terrible though. Both as a "Final Fantasy game" and just a game in general. And I could almost forgive the abysmal gameplay if I found anything else even remotely compelling, but I didn't. My biggest problem aside from the actual game is that Lightning is about as compelling as a sack of fucking bricks in a pile made up of sacks of bricks. People talk shit about Cloud and a few of the other Final Fantasy protagonists, but I feel like Lightning is by faaaaaaaaar the worst. The entire cast in XIII kinda garbage, but I would take literally any of them over her. She's just so incredibly goddamn boring. I can't wait for Lightning Returns to come out, but only because it (hopefully) marks the end of that character as a protagonist/playing a large role in FF game ever again.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

I like the combat system and the music.

Cory_Sthokely

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By Cory_Sthokely

@hailinel said:

@cory_sthokely said:

@hailinel said:

@xalienxgreyx: Done? You two talked back and forth about why you didn't like the game. You didn't win any arguments or debates. It's presumptuous of you to state that you've somehow proved your point as fact.

Well all that are facts you dont realized it?and its obvious for anyone who played the game and It is not simple like that those are the reasons why the game is hated, this is a JRPG you know that right? for a JRPG the absence of elements pertaining to it and the linearity is unaceptable [linearity is the sworn enemy of a JRPG],i believe that the people who complain about FFXIII really loved the franchise and they dont want to see it being ridicularized this way,this morbid game and its sequels can serve as a example for future FF and that is exactly what worries us.

Two questions:

Is English your second language?

Do you understand the concept of opinion?

Why you ask such a thing?and did you pay attention to what i said before?the game is exactly like these people described it failed as both FF and JRPG if you want to illude yourself and continue to say that everything are opinions be my guest...i thought i was talking with adults who can distinguish facts and opinions here but now i see thats not the case.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel: Why you ask such a thing?and did you pay attention to what i said before?the game is exactly like these people described it failed as both FF and JRPG if you want to illude yourself and continue to say that everything are opinions be my guest...i thought i was talking with adults who can distinguish facts and opinions here but now i see thats not the case.

I ask such a thing because your written English is poorly structured and at times difficult to understand. Your response also came across as painting the notion of Final Fantasy XIII being a bad game as an objective fact rather than as a matter of opinion. In my opinion, it is not a bad game. It could certainly be a better game, but I enjoyed the gameplay, characters, and story, all of which I felt were well done and well presented. I would be lying if I said that I hate the game or think it's bad.

Cory_Sthokely

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By Cory_Sthokely

@hailinel: @hailinel:

@hailinel said:

@cory_sthokely said:

@hailinel: Why you ask such a thing?and did you pay attention to what i said before?the game is exactly like these people described it failed as both FF and JRPG if you want to illude yourself and continue to say that everything are opinions be my guest...i thought i was talking with adults who can distinguish facts and opinions here but now i see thats not the case.

I ask such a thing because your written English is poorly structured and at times difficult to understand. Your response also came across as painting the notion of Final Fantasy XIII being a bad game as an objective fact rather than as a matter of opinion. In my opinion, it is not a bad game. It could certainly be a better game, but I enjoyed the gameplay, characters, and story, all of which I felt were well done and well presented. I would be lying if I said that I hate the game or think it's bad.

@hailinel said:

@cory_sthokely said:

Why you continue with this?i dont have to answer that question im sure my english is good enough to understand cant you keep the focus in this conversation or it is too hard for you?that is your perspective or your opinion you think FFXIII is good because you want to you dont develop a critic based about the game to make a unbiased argument,you have to use your brain instead of your heart that is why you fail to see the facts,sorry to tell you FFXIII could never be a good FF or JRPG the game dont even have the gameplay theres absolutely nothing for you to do,FFXIII is an illusion with good graphics and average musics only those who really knows what JRPGS are made of dont fall for its tricks.

@hailinel said:

@cory_sthokely said:

@hailinel said:

@cory_sthokely said:

@hailinel said:

@cory_sthokely said:

Why you continue with this?i dont have to answer that question im sure my english is good enough to understand cant you keep the focus in this conversation or it is too hard for you?that is your perspective or your opinion you think FFXIII is good because you want to you dont develop a critic based in the game to make a unbiased argument,you have to use your brain instead of your heart that is why you fail to see the facts,sorry to tell you FFXIII could never be a good FF or JRPG the game dont even have the gameplay theres absolutely nothing for you to do,FFXIII is an illusion with good graphics and average musics only those who really knows what JRPGS are made of dont fall for its tricks.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cory_sthokely: I'm sorry, but your written English is not as good as you seem to believe it is.

Cory_Sthokely

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@cory_sthokely: I'm sorry, but your written English is not as good as you seem to believe it is.

Again you send me another irrelevant reply...if you cant keep your focus in this conversation then dont bother to reply i dont want to talk with children.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

Again you send me another irrelevant reply...if you cant keep your focus in this conversation then dont bother to reply i dont want to talk with children.

If this is the way you respond, there's no point in discussing anything further with you. Though judging by the immaturity of your response, I am in all likelihood older than you.

Cory_Sthokely

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By Cory_Sthokely

@truthtellah:

@truthtellah said:

I hated Final Fantasy XIII, but... it's not the end of the world. People can like what they like.

I don't see why so many fans feel like they have to prove themselves to like something. It's a videogame. Some people will like it and others will not. This may be a particularly divisive game, but it's hardly unique in that fact. A lot of games have widely varying opinions on them. Even the classics and worst games ever are debated rather often.

Honey the problem with FFXIII is that it is mediocre as both a JRPG and FF and please spare me the opinions...we are talking about the mechanics here and the story that dont followed up the standard that FF always presented,you take a while to discover what is your focus and next you find yourself in another dillema,destroy or save coccon?theres not a single FF in existence with such a stupid and uninteresting story like that dont get me wrong honey im all for anbiguity in my stories but i would rarely accept 30+ hours without finding any discernible goal to continue with all that nonsense no THANK YOU!theres not a single sidestory to add something to the storyline and every NPC you talk to say the same thing ''the L'cie are being pursued'' or ''the L'cie will bring chaos to coccon'' and other crap that is ALWAYS about the L'cie the entire world moves around them,i ask myself ''why the NPC exists if all they can do is respond you the obvious?'' this is incredibly annoying the gameplay is out of question and its the part where FFXIII failed miserably,its all about linearity and absence of every JRPG element is grotesque its unaceptable for anyone who REALLY WANTS to play a game of the genre,the open areas in pulse are linear just like the linear paths all you can do is kill monsters,you kill one here then kill another one over there and thats ALL also i dont know why the cieth stone ''missions'' exists its another insignificant element in this game that makes you fight even more,Hamauzu's OST are NOTHING compared with Uematsu he is a genius who really touched the heart of the fans with his touching and memorable musics he knew the perfect time and place to play his melodies Hamauzu NEVER did that,SE is senile and it can define the doom for FF and the legacy that was left behind after all those years,personally in my 23 years of gaming experience [girls are veterans too!] i would never believe that FF would end like this being deprived of its own essence and becoming another insignificant game in the market.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#165  Edited By TruthTellah

@cory_sthokely said:

@truthtellah:

@truthtellah said:

I hated Final Fantasy XIII, but... it's not the end of the world. People can like what they like.

I don't see why so many fans feel like they have to prove themselves to like something. It's a videogame. Some people will like it and others will not. This may be a particularly divisive game, but it's hardly unique in that fact. A lot of games have widely varying opinions on them. Even the classics and worst games ever are debated rather often.

Honey the problem about FFXIII is that it is mediocre as both a JRPG and FF and please spare me the opinions...we are talking about the mechanics here and the story that dont followed up the standard that FF always presented,you take a while to discover what is your focus and next you find yourself in another dillema,destroy or save coccon?dont get me wrong honey im all for anbiguity in my stories but i would rarely accept 30+ hours without finding any discerning goal to continue with all that nonsense no THANK YOU!the gameplay is out of question and its the part where FFXIII failed miserably,its all about linearity and absence of every JRPG element is grotesque its is unaceptable for anyone who REALLY WANTS to play a game of the genre,the open areas in pulse are linear just like the linear paths all you can do is kill monsters,you kill one here then kill another one over there and thats ALL also i dont know why the cieth stone ''missions'' exists its another insignificant element in this game that makes you fight even more,SE is senile and it can define the doom for FF and the legacy that was left behind after all those years,personally in my 23 years of gaming experience i would never believe that FF would end like this being deprived of its own essence and becoming another insignificant game in the market.

Okay. Thanks for sharing.

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@cory_sthokely said:

@hailinel said:

If this is the way you respond, there's no point in discussing anything further with you. Though judging by the immaturity of your response, I am in all likelihood older than you.

The internet, ladies and gentlemen! Please give it a huge round of applause!

On topic: I never really got the hate for FF13.. I mean, FFX was pretty linear too and nobody complained about that one.
    Me, I like IX the best. The ones with the more "mature" design don´t give me warm and fuzzy nostalgia.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

I thought that it was OK, but was way too linear for my tastes. My wife really likes it though.

Cory_Sthokely

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By Cory_Sthokely

@superfriend said:

@hailinel said:

@cory_sthokely said:

@hailinel said:

The internet, ladies and gentlemen! Please give it a huge round of applause!

On topic: I never really got the hate for FF13.. I mean, FFX was pretty linear too and nobody complained about that one.

Me, I like IX the best. The ones with the more "mature" design don´t give me warm and fuzzy nostalgia.

Please honey don't do comparisons you really think FFXIII is hated because of opinions?you think the veteran gamers hated FFXIII because they wanted to?this is not about opinions honey so please stop...this franchise was born decades ago it have standards and the least SE could do is maintain them and upgrade what would be necessary to help in the evolution of the franchise,SE don't did that with FFXIII and to make things worse they discarted the traditional gameplay making the game empty in the process that was the main reason behind all the hate certainly NO FF fan who enjoys the common elements of a JRPG would like the final results, its useless to compare FFXIII with FFX honey i said this before we are talking about different levels of linearity here FFX is linear at a certain point and before you can freely decide where you want to go you can visit towns,take part in quests,minigames and experience sidestories you CAN'T do that in FFXIII the game is linear from the begining until the end and you can't do anything along the way, FFXIII is an abomination and nothing can change that.

Dasacant2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#169  Edited By Dasacant2

Please honey don't do comparisons you really think FFXIII is hated because of opinions?

I don't like FFXIII but yeah FFXIII is hated because of "opinions".

Avatar image for noctisluciscaelum
    NoctisLucisCaelum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

No, pretty sure you can find other people who don't hate it.

I don't hate it, just think its very mehhh...

Cory_Sthokely

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By Cory_Sthokely

@darji said:

What? You learn new "job" or shifts due out to the game how is this negligible. Many JRPGs are like that. Tales of Series for example does it as well.

Honey i can't believe you are comparing the Tales Saga with FFXIII i know Tales very well i have all the games of the franchise and they are INFINITELY better than FFXIII,you know why?pick any Tales game they have EVERYTHING that was absent in FFXIII especially the battle system,its not ridiculous to a point where all you have to do is spam a certain button to beat literally every battle in the game except the bosses and it dont have nuisances like paradigms that only served to make FFXIII obsolete,let me remind you honey in Tales the balance between physical and magical powers really exists you can easily distinguish one character from another making it easier to choose who will fight against a certain enemy and the relationship between the characters are truly deep and they have objectives they dont run in circles like the puppets in FFXIII do,you can learn skills gradually as you fight and theres no caps to limit that feature unlike FFXIII,please honey dont talk about something you don't understand.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.