Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 09, 2010

This entry into the Final Fantasy universe is set in the worlds of Pulse and Cocoon. Players take control of multiple characters who are caught in a war between these worlds.

An Explanation for Final Fantasy XIII

Patchinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

Edited By Patchinko

I've seen a few vocal people discussing Final Fantasy XIII and how it's gone in a "bad direction". I've even seen one person blaming the merger with Enix for the direction FFXIII went in. I couldn't disagree more. It seems to me, given the history of Final Fantasy, that FFXIII is the result of sales trends, which is also, of course, the simplest explanation for why it is the way it is.

Basically, I propose that sales trends in the series are what has driven FF in this direction.

Hironobu Sakaguchi, the original creator of FF, left Square to create Mistwalker after the bomb that was Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within and the poor performance of Final Fantasy IX, which was his baby and which was overshadowed by FFVIII in both reviews and sales. FF:TSW was an utter bomb and remains one of the biggest cinematic financial losses of all times while FFIX remains on the bottom half of most "top FF games" lists and remains as one of the poorest selling FFs of the post-16bit era (actually, I believe it had the worst sales of the post-16bit era).

Here's how things went with Final Fantasy:

After FFVII was a success, Square decided to break the FF team into two groups that would simultaneously work on the next two games in the series. This was well before the Enix merger. 

The team that created XIII is the team that brought you VI, VII, VIII, and X led by Yoshinori Kitase, and I think it's pretty obvious that XIII is the spiritual successor of these games. Look at the character archetypes and the style (both graphically and gameplay-wise)... the characters are almost uniformly taken from FFVIII, and the battle system is clearly inspired by these past games with a blend of VIII and X's systems. The Crystarium is just a new version of the Sphere Grid from X.

In The Gooch's (read: Sakaguchi's) absence, Yasumi Matsuno of FFT and Vagrant Story fame took over FF12 only to relinquish production to Kawazu of the even less well known SaGa series when he fell ill. Despite all these problems, the game turned out pretty well and was critically acclaimed, but the sales fell pretty far short compared to VII, VIII, and X. That said, even though Team 2 headed up production of FF12, it was inspired by the original desires Team 1 (again, led by Kitase) had for FFX in regards to an open-world approach.

Now take a look at sales historically and you get an image of why FF has gone this way. For reference, sales peaked with VII and were nearly as high for VIII and X, and X-2, a  game that cost almost nothing and had a very short development cycle, did fairly well also . Meanwhile IX and XII had significantly lower sales.

Is it any wonder, then, that FFXIII is basically a natural evolution from these particular games? Of course not. It's not surprising at all that the open-world nature of XII, for example, was abandoned after the game had low sales despite high critical praise. In its place is a world that's at least as constricted as that in FFX, which had just as high critical praise but significantly higher sales, with battles and characters more akin to that of FFVIII's, which had even higher sales along with high critical praise. 

I'm not reviewing the game yet because I haven't finished it. I can already say it's not my favorite in the series. But I predict sales of FFXIII will be quite high despite the complaints from many of the Hardcore Jaded Old-School Lamers (HJOSLs) out there that it's a bad game. After all, if nothing else, everyone basically agrees that the visuals are some of the best in a videogame ever, that the music is good, and the gameplay is at least tolerable. Plus, it's the first FF of this generation--you know it's going to be a big seller just because of that.

I think the real interesting caveat to FFXIII is the decision to co-create FFvXIII simultaneously, and to see how well FFvXIII sells once the dust settles from FFXIII. This is the major change made in FFXIII over the past games. FFX-2 was SE's first foray into this kind of development cycle, and it actually worked quite well for them, so we'll see how it pans out with this game.

Patchinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Patchinko

I've seen a few vocal people discussing Final Fantasy XIII and how it's gone in a "bad direction". I've even seen one person blaming the merger with Enix for the direction FFXIII went in. I couldn't disagree more. It seems to me, given the history of Final Fantasy, that FFXIII is the result of sales trends, which is also, of course, the simplest explanation for why it is the way it is.

Basically, I propose that sales trends in the series are what has driven FF in this direction.

Hironobu Sakaguchi, the original creator of FF, left Square to create Mistwalker after the bomb that was Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within and the poor performance of Final Fantasy IX, which was his baby and which was overshadowed by FFVIII in both reviews and sales. FF:TSW was an utter bomb and remains one of the biggest cinematic financial losses of all times while FFIX remains on the bottom half of most "top FF games" lists and remains as one of the poorest selling FFs of the post-16bit era (actually, I believe it had the worst sales of the post-16bit era).

Here's how things went with Final Fantasy:

After FFVII was a success, Square decided to break the FF team into two groups that would simultaneously work on the next two games in the series. This was well before the Enix merger. 

The team that created XIII is the team that brought you VI, VII, VIII, and X led by Yoshinori Kitase, and I think it's pretty obvious that XIII is the spiritual successor of these games. Look at the character archetypes and the style (both graphically and gameplay-wise)... the characters are almost uniformly taken from FFVIII, and the battle system is clearly inspired by these past games with a blend of VIII and X's systems. The Crystarium is just a new version of the Sphere Grid from X.

In The Gooch's (read: Sakaguchi's) absence, Yasumi Matsuno of FFT and Vagrant Story fame took over FF12 only to relinquish production to Kawazu of the even less well known SaGa series when he fell ill. Despite all these problems, the game turned out pretty well and was critically acclaimed, but the sales fell pretty far short compared to VII, VIII, and X. That said, even though Team 2 headed up production of FF12, it was inspired by the original desires Team 1 (again, led by Kitase) had for FFX in regards to an open-world approach.

Now take a look at sales historically and you get an image of why FF has gone this way. For reference, sales peaked with VII and were nearly as high for VIII and X, and X-2, a  game that cost almost nothing and had a very short development cycle, did fairly well also . Meanwhile IX and XII had significantly lower sales.

Is it any wonder, then, that FFXIII is basically a natural evolution from these particular games? Of course not. It's not surprising at all that the open-world nature of XII, for example, was abandoned after the game had low sales despite high critical praise. In its place is a world that's at least as constricted as that in FFX, which had just as high critical praise but significantly higher sales, with battles and characters more akin to that of FFVIII's, which had even higher sales along with high critical praise. 

I'm not reviewing the game yet because I haven't finished it. I can already say it's not my favorite in the series. But I predict sales of FFXIII will be quite high despite the complaints from many of the Hardcore Jaded Old-School Lamers (HJOSLs) out there that it's a bad game. After all, if nothing else, everyone basically agrees that the visuals are some of the best in a videogame ever, that the music is good, and the gameplay is at least tolerable. Plus, it's the first FF of this generation--you know it's going to be a big seller just because of that.

I think the real interesting caveat to FFXIII is the decision to co-create FFvXIII simultaneously, and to see how well FFvXIII sells once the dust settles from FFXIII. This is the major change made in FFXIII over the past games. FFX-2 was SE's first foray into this kind of development cycle, and it actually worked quite well for them, so we'll see how it pans out with this game.

loldetaerleo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By loldetaerleo

I need to play through IX again, such a good game.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By vidiot

You're right on a lot of issues here, particular over the different teams within Square and what projects they work with. While Kitase is a great scenario writer, when it comes to dealing with the press, he's no Sakaguchi. The last time I saw him in an interview, he tried to convince me that there was nothing cut from the PS3 version when they went multi-platform. He then practically said in the same sentence, that they weren't going to have a Japanese vocal track, because they wanted both versions (360 / PS3) to be the same. I'm not ranting over how the project went multi-platform, I'm just pointing out the obvious.

I think a little bit of why people's opinions of Final Fantasy are so warped is because they don't know the entire history of the series. It's not their fault, this is a series that has drastically reinterpreted it's main mechanics with each entry. Western gamers also didn't have half the series initially, if you think these basic concepts have not messed up peoples interpretations I would urge you to reconsider. Whether this is more reflective of sales can be argued, but looking back on the series as a whole (I've played and beaten every main entry) the design decisions that are in place in this game (XIII) don't surprise me in the least. There is an evolution over-time with the series, but defining it as something "better" over the another entry is difficult. 
    Half of Final Fantasy VI was non-linear, Final Fantasy I, III, V all focused on intricate job/class systems, and Final Fantasy II had a character progression system akin to Oblivion for crying-out loud. The list goes on.

@Patchinko said:

" and the poor performance of Final Fantasy IX, which was his baby and which was overshadowed by FFVIII in both quality and sales. "
    Sales yes, but quality? :/ 
    I loved both games, but I would be hard-pressed to say VIII was leaps over IX in quality. 
    Regardless, good write up.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ryanwho

They decided to let other people take risks and follow market trends. That's all you had to say. You make good, sometimes great games by playing it safe, you just don't make classic ones. If they're fine with that, whatever.

Avatar image for commodoregroovy
    CommodoreGroovy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By CommodoreGroovy

Aww, don't pick on FFIX. Everyone seems to dislike it for various reasons. But, that game has alot of heart, and I really enjoy playing through it now and again.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Nasar7

I never understood the cold shoulder that was given to FF IX, it's so good.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#7  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

This is a great blog and a fantastic look at some details in the series that I wasn't aware of.  I have a few questions for you, if you don't mind me asking: 

1)  How do the characters hold up to previous entries in the games?  I'm not looking for specifics here, just generalities.  I'm trying to remain as spoiler free on this game as humanly possible. 
     2)  If the game isn't open-world, does it still encourage late-game (or even earlier) exploration and back-tracking, similar to some of the fun stuff in prior games? 
    3)  Similarly, are there a lot of side-quests or extra stuff to do?
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Sparky_Buzzsaw said:

" This is a great blog and a fantastic look at some details in the series that I wasn't aware of.  I have a few questions for you, if you don't mind me asking:  1)  How do the characters hold up to previous entries in the games?  I'm not looking for specifics here, just generalities.  I'm trying to remain as spoiler free on this game as humanly possible.  2)  If the game isn't open-world, does it still encourage late-game (or even earlier) exploration and back-tracking, similar to some of the fun stuff in prior games? 3)  Similarly, are there a lot of side-quests or extra stuff to do? "

1.  No, until Versus/Agito explain some of the later stuff, it's hard to tell just how important this story is.  The big ass connetion to Versus people are showing on 2channel will be key to the overall story.  This story just feels like a side story to the main upcoming story in either Agito or Versus (more than likely Versus).
    2.  Grand Pulse is everything this game should've been and you don't get there until Chapter 11 (18-22 hours in).  It's not linear and a big break from the shit you play in the first 10 Chapters.
    3.  Grand Pulse has 64 Missions, Titan Trials, Tower of Gods, Chocobo Areas, and some minor stuff.

Edit:  I just need fucking 4 more trophies and I am fucking done with this until the International Version fixes all the problems and gives me the real final version of this game...hopefully late 2010 or early 2011.  Don't fuck up Final Fantasy XIII International Square, you made FF12 International, FF10 International, and KH2 Final Mix+ all leaps and bounds better than the shitty originals.
    Patchinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Patchinko

@vidiot said:

" You're right on a lot of issues here, particular over the different teams within Square and what projects they work with. While Kitase is a great scenario writer, when it comes to dealing with the press, he's no Sakaguchi. The last time I saw him in an interview, he tried to convince me that there was nothing cut from the PS3 version when they went multi-platform. He then practically said in the same sentence, that they weren't going to have a Japanese vocal track, because they wanted both versions (360 / PS3) to be the same. I'm not ranting over how the project went multi-platform, I'm just pointing out the obvious.

I think a little bit of why people's opinions of Final Fantasy are so warped is because they don't know the entire history of the series. It's not their fault, this is a series that has drastically reinterpreted it's main mechanics with each entry. Western gamers also didn't have half the series initially, if you think these basic concepts have not messed up peoples interpretations I would urge you to reconsider. Whether this is more reflective of sales can be argued, but looking back on the series as a whole (I've played and beaten every main entry) the design decisions that are in place in this game (XIII) don't surprise me in the least. There is an evolution over-time with the series, but defining it as something "better" over the another entry is difficult. 
    Half of Final Fantasy VI was non-linear, Final Fantasy I, III, V all focused on intricate job/class systems, and Final Fantasy II had a character progression system akin to Oblivion for crying-out loud. The list goes on.

@Patchinko

said:

" and the poor performance of Final Fantasy IX, which was his baby and which was overshadowed by FFVIII in both quality and sales. "

Sales yes, but quality? :/  I loved both games, but I would be hard-pressed to say VIII was leaps over IX in quality.  Regardless, good write up. "
    First of all, regarding Final Fantasy IX:

I shouldn't have said it was worse in "quality" than FFVIII. What I should have said (what I meant to say, actually) was that it was generally reviewed less favorably. The game itself was actually of very high quality. It's a little bit different from what happened with FFXII, which was generally reviewed strongly, but which suffered poor sales as well. Being the last FF of the generation seems to hurt these games a lot, even when they're technically impressive.

And yeah, I wouldn't qualify one FF as "better" than another. I have my opinions on that matter, but as far as quality goes, I'd say the main entry FF games have yet to let us down in that regard. However, I do think since the team split that it's fairly clear IX and XII are the two "off" FF games that are more experimental and different. FFXIII is team 1, so I find myself unsurprised that it looks and feels the way it does. 

Oh, and as far as Gooch vs. Kitase. I will always love the Gooch. No doubt, he is one charismatic guy. I honestly think that's why they kept him around as long as they did. If you consider the projects he had a big hand in versus Kitase, there was a pretty hefty gap there. And they did let him get away with FF:TSW, which was a really big stain on his resume. But then again, he was around when Enix almost killed Square in the 80s, and it was his Final Fantasy that basically saved the company. He rode that legacy for a long time, and rightly so. I do get an image of him as a guy who always genuinely had a passion for his series, even if it meant not bending to the will of the executives in the interest of profit. I don't know that it's panned out for him at Mistwalker, but even if it doesn't, those old Final Fantasy games still hold up to this day, in no small part because of his influence on them.

@Sparky_Buzzsaw

said:

" This is a great blog and a fantastic look at some details in the series that I wasn't aware of.  I have a few questions for you, if you don't mind me asking:  1)  How do the characters hold up to previous entries in the games?  I'm not looking for specifics here, just generalities.  I'm trying to remain as spoiler free on this game as humanly possible.  2)  If the game isn't open-world, does it still encourage late-game (or even earlier) exploration and back-tracking, similar to some of the fun stuff in prior games? 3)  Similarly, are there a lot of side-quests or extra stuff to do? "

I'm glad you enjoyed it. Final Fantasy has had a fairly complex history, and I've been a fan for a long time so names like "Kitase" and "The Gooch" (Sounds like a comedy troupe!) conjure up images for me that they may not for people who don't know about the history.

Regarding your questions:

1) No spoilers. Thus far I feel the characters are strongly reminiscent of characters we saw in FFVIII. The term "Japanese cliche" does come to mind. I don't find myself overly disappointed by it because, again, it's what I expected from Kitase's team. Again, I haven't finished it, but rumors that I've heard also seem to be that FFvXIII will be a necessary companion to really telling the whole story.

2) Like someone else said, Grand Pulse is the open-world region. It might be hard to call it "late-game". It feels late-game because you don't get there til late in the main story, but there's a whole heap of game in Grand Pulse. 

3) Yes, in Grand Pulse. Prior to that, no. 
    Magresda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Magresda

You're very right in that this feels like an evolution of the classic FF's, but what we need to keep in mind is that this is it's own game, not just a rehash. I don't think anyone can actually argue that this is a bad game - despite all of KaosAngel's criticism he still gave it 4 stars and called it a "great game", for example - but most of the criticism shows up when we compare it to previous FF's. Even ignoring the possibility of nostalgia clouding our judgement, comparing this to the old ones in terms of quality just doesn't work. I can go on all day about how the characters are like VIII, the music is like X and how I wish they would bring back towns or whatever, but in the end it doesn't do me any good. It doesn't give me the slightest idea of how good this game really is. Yet, I find myself guilty of doing this exact thing for the simple reason that the game is called "Final Fantasy". A perfect example of a brand name hurting a product.  

What I'm saying is we need to judge this by what it is - not what its predecessors were, what it could have been or what you wanted it to be. Not only are the FF's in question spread out over 4 generations, but each and every one of them reinvent themselves, making direct comparisons tiresome and in the end futile. We should be comparing this to more modern JRPG's such as Lost Odyssey and The Last Remnant.  

I do enjoy an objective view of the FF series evolution though (like this thread), I just think we need to be careful when judging the game itself.     

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#11  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw
    @KaosAngel:
    @Patchinko:

Thanks for the info and for keeping it spoiler free!
    brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By brukaoru

Nice write-up!

I think a big problem for Square is trying to keep things fresh in a new Final Fantasy game while simultaneously garnering newcomers to the franchise all without alienating die-hard fans. 

To be honest, it's not because of the negative feedback that i've heard of, but I'm not that excited for FFXIII. Sure, I'm anticipating it, but I'm not "excited" about it. It's more like I'm anticipating it just because it's another entry into a franchise I've already liked, or because it's such a big game that if I miss out on it when it releases, then there's no use playing it afterward, at least that's the kind of mentality most people seem to have for a big release like this. I'm not sure what to think of Versus yet, think I'll wait for a price drop on that one if I'm really interested.

Patchinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Patchinko
    @brukaoru said:
    " Nice write-up!

I think a big problem for Square is trying to keep things fresh in a new Final Fantasy game while simultaneously garnering newcomers to the franchise all without alienating die-hard fans. 

To be honest, it's not because of the negative feedback that i've heard of, but I'm not that excited for FFXIII. Sure, I'm anticipating it, but I'm not "excited" about it. It's more like I'm anticipating it just because it's another entry into a franchise I've already liked, or because it's such a big game that if I miss out on it when it releases, then there's no use playing it afterward, at least that's the kind of mentality most people seem to have for a big release like this. I'm not sure what to think of Versus yet, think I'll wait for a price drop on that one if I'm really interested. "
    Thanks for the comment!

I totally agree. I think honestly that team 2 is where they put their "experimental" development in the series, and where they try out drastically new things (like the MMO style in FFXII... that was actually something Kitase of team 1 wanted to do in FFX, but they nixed it for that game). It's not at all shocking to me that team 2 has consistently developed the last game in the series on a given console while team 1 develops for the first game in the next generation platforms.  Team 1 offers that mass appeal of stuff that has been tried-and-true in the past while team 2 offers what the more "die-hard" might be interested in.

I wasn't that excited for the game either because I kind of expected what we got in it. The Nomura-designed characters, the futuristic medieval look, the style-over-substance feeling, the faux-French words being tossed around, the frenetic battle system. They're not inherently bad things, but some of them just didn't appeal to me. 

Fortunately, it turns out I'm liking the characters (after a fairly long development period where I wasn't sure about them), and really liking the battle system.

I feel the same as you regarding Versus. Honestly, I'm not a big Tetsuya Nomura fan. Kingdom Hearts wasn't really my thing. I thought Advent Children looked great and was otherwise mostly cliche anime fluff. Talk about style-over-substance. I may well wait until Versus is in the bargain bin myself because thus far the story isn't such that I feel like I need to play another game that takes place in this world right away.
    Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By Kazona

You know, I've never really looked at it this way, and I think it actually makes a lot of sense. After all, what do sequels to best-selling games usually bring to the table? An evolution of what made it a best-seller in the first place. The Final Fantasy games are no different. SquareEnix simply looked at their sales figures, realized that trying new things were bad for sales, and decided to go back to doing it in a way that did give them good sales. 

When you look at it that way, the only one to blame for the complaints of Final Fantasy XIII is the consumer. When SE tried something different, the consumer didn't buy it. In essence, the consumers did what we always preach: they let their money talk. And all Square Enix did was listen. 

Valkyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#15  Edited By Valkyr

If SE has some creative minds that want to create crazy and new battle systems then they should apply them to a new IP and stop using the FF name to test their shit. VII and VIII where classical active turned based jrpgs as well as VI, those games are the prime of the franchise and the type of game that the loyal fan base is waiting in a FF game. 
    Sakaguchi is the only hope we have to deliver a new epic franchise, he already tried to apply the old concepts to Lost Odyssey and that's a hell of an JRPG if you ask me, he will surely surprise us with his next big game, Lost Odyssey was a technical mess in a lot of ways and definitely not a graphical demostration of what a 360 could do, but you have to think that instead of using an expensive and time consuming  in-house engine and going through a 4 year development cycle, he just focused in the story and having great voice acted voices for every language. 
    It's sad how an FF game launch was a big thing and now it is not even being considered a day one purchase by its fans, I remember being hyped for every game all my life, they were supposed to get better, just like the hardware they are running but instead we get some stupid series of hallways that lead to a cutscene

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @Valkyr: Like I think Ryanwho mentioned somewhere, the reason experimental shit gets called FF is because it increases the chances of it selling, big times. Not everyone of the 5 million+ people that buy the main series franchise are die hard video game fans and probably don't even know who SE is. Higher chance of them buying something with FF slapped onto the title. As for the rest of your post, whoaaaaa opinions.
    crystalskull2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By crystalskull2

Nice blog but i have to disagree on one thing.

FFX12 sold more than 5.2 million. So,it was really not such a bad sells result.

Valkyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#18  Edited By Valkyr
    @Zenaxzd said:

" @Valkyr: Like I think Ryanwho mentioned somewhere, the reason experimental shit gets called FF is because it increases the chances of it selling, big times. Not everyone of the 5 million+ people that buy the main series franchise are die hard video game fans and probably don't even know who SE is. Higher chance of them buying something with FF slapped onto the title. As for the rest of your post, whoaaaaa opinions. "

I know, but that's the kind of wild marketing that is devaluating SE as a dev, take the Mass Effect hype for example, the first game was a new IP and it delivered some great quality, now the ME2 hype is even bigger than XIII's which is a 20 year IP, so what happened?, we started trusting more Bioware because the AAA backlog is amazing, SE made a joke of itself with all the milking of their IP's
    Patchinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Patchinko
    @crystalskull2 said:
    "

"
    It was relatively poor selling compared to VII, VIII and X. That said, they still used some of the elements it introduced in FFXIII (mob behavior is similar to that of FFXII's, and the summons not in vehicle mode are much like FFXII's... but then again, FFXII got that from FFX) . 

@Valkyr said:
    " @Zenaxzd said:

" @Valkyr: Like I think Ryanwho mentioned somewhere, the reason experimental shit gets called FF is because it increases the chances of it selling, big times. Not everyone of the 5 million+ people that buy the main series franchise are die hard video game fans and probably don't even know who SE is. Higher chance of them buying something with FF slapped onto the title. As for the rest of your post, whoaaaaa opinions. "

I know, but that's the kind of wild marketing that is devaluating SE as a dev, take the Mass Effect hype for example, the first game was a new IP and it delivered some great quality, now the ME2 hype is even bigger than XIII's which is a 20 year IP, so what happened?, we started trusting more Bioware because the AAA backlog is amazing, SE made a joke of itself with all the milking of their IP's "

I don't know that I'd call SE or the FF franchise "jokes" quite yet. We'll see how the sales for FFXIII shake out. I have a feeling it's going to do quite well.  
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By KaosAngel
    @crystalskull2 said:
    "

"
    Plus Final Fantasy XIII International Zodiac Job System perfected the damn game, and should've been the game that was.  Sales for that aren't as high, but it's the same line as Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix+, it makes the original version pointless.  Also my favorite FF game in terms of pure gameplay.  Damn, Square did all the right things with FF12 International.  Just pray FF13 International gets the same respect and fixes the mess in FF13...or Nomura delievers on the definative FF13 game with Versus.
    SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SamStrife

Why all the IX hate? It's the best in the series.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By KaosAngel
    @SamStrife said:
    " Why all the IX hate? It's the best in the series. "
    Get Out. 
    SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SamStrife
    @KaosAngel: No way man, it really is.  It's a homage to all the original 16bit games, taking the best aspects of each.  Add an awesome cast of likable characters, and a non-punk ass, emo protagonist and how can you lose?
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By KaosAngel
    @SamStrife said:
    " @KaosAngel: No way man, it really is.  It's a homage to all the original 16bit games, taking the best aspects of each.  Add an awesome cast of likable characters, and a non-punk ass, emo protagonist and how can you lose? "
    Stop trolling before I report you.  

The end boss had nothing to do with the plot, the characters were bland...Dagger was the same "woe is me" princess, Vivi was bland, you had a fricking fat blob that ate stuff...and the story was crap.  "Oh noes...evil guy takes over the world so we needs to stop him but NO OH BIGGER BOSS IS REALLY RUNNING IT!".  Plus the graphics sucked compared to FF8 and it was simplified.  The reviews agree too, FF9 is one of the weaker ones with FF13 and FF5.
    SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SamStrife

Lol I aint trollin'

I agree with you on Necron but I don't with the rest of your points . Vivi was awesome, Dagger is way deeper than the "woe is me princess" role and Quina...is Quina.  The rest of the cast are awesome and memorable in their own ways, which is more than I can say for a lot of the others in the series.

The graphics weren't simplified, just a different art style, and technically more impressive than 8's, which imo, were trying far too hard to make the game look "real."

There's so much to 9, and there's a ton of awesome moments and scenes, an epic music score, and the best use of Moogles and Chocobos the series has seen so far.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By KaosAngel
    @SamStrife: You're crazy guy.  I hated FF9 as much as I hated FF5 and Unlimited Saga.  I never understood the people who liked FF9, then again...that's the beauty of Squaresoft (notice the soft)...everyone has a solid favorite, and none of us are wrong.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ryanwho
    @SamStrife said:
    " @KaosAngel: No way man, it really is.  It's a homage to all the original 16bit games, taking the best aspects of each.  Add an awesome cast of likable characters, and a non-punk ass, emo protagonist and how can you lose? "
    No dude no. It didn't take anything from any of the games. What the hell are you talking about? There are no classes like 1, 2, 3 and 5, there are no multiple perspectives like 6. Just because the midgets look a little more like what you imagined the older sprites would look like means its like the old games? The Arc summon is like 5 fucking unskippable minutes long, and the hero has amnesia. 9 is painfully newschool.
    Patchinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Patchinko
    @SamStrife said:

" Why all the IX hate? It's the best in the series. "

There was no FFIX hate until after you posted this. I don't hate that game at all despite it being one of the weakest FFs in my opinion.

That said, it was, like I said, one of the worst received of the FF games as well as one of if not the worst selling of the post-16bit era.  

Some people remember it fondly. I remember how dismayed most fans were with what Sakaguchi had come up with after so many of them had been hoping for something amazing. Vivi aside, the characters were weak, the story was weak, the themes were childish, the gameplay was slow...  It had its strong points too, but the game had a lot of problems and both the reviews and the sales reflected it.

It's good to see some die-hard fans of that game out there. Hey, I admit to loving FFVIII when it's on many FF fans' blacklist as well. To each their own.

But the sales drive the design. Square has not gone back to SD characters or cutesy, childish themes in FF since then. I don't expect them to again in a Final Fantasy game, either.
    SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By SamStrife
    @KaosAngel:  Lol that's true.

@ryanwho:  There's loads of referances to the older games, but I'm tired and cba to name them =_=  But being a newschool - oldschool game was what made it so great.

@Patchinko: See VIII's the big one for me.  With it's systems in place I can't understand how anyone can like that game, but it has a mad following so go figure. 
    ReaperOfLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#30  Edited By ReaperOfLiving

I'm glad it changes.  The same FF7 or 8 with just new characters, world and story would bore the hell out of me.  

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.