Boss enemies randomly cast doom or something?

#1 Posted by doe3879 (778 posts) -

I was at the end of Chapter 11 boss, it was a pretty long fighting with all those buffs and debuffs going on.  I literally spend like half an hour on him.  ( I did not know about the the Technique that remove all status) When I finally manage to take him down to around 10%-5% Health, HE FREAKING CAST DOOM on my leader!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was like AHHHHHHHHH WTF.  Couldn't kill him in time and I die.
 
That was probably the fight that pisses me off the most though out the entire game.  I came back a few days later and that time I saving up TP for summon when I get Doom again.  Somehow this time, he did not use Doom when he was low health.  
 
Was that random or something? Who in the fucking right mind would do that!!!!
Did it happen to anyone else?

#2 Posted by Jimbo7676 (709 posts) -

Welcome to final fantasy.

#3 Posted by Lautaro (448 posts) -
@doe3879 said:

" I was at the end of Chapter 11 boss, it was a pretty long fighting with all those buffs and debuffs going on.  I literally spend like half an hour on him.  ( I did not know about the the Technique that remove all status) When I finally manage to take him down to around 10%-5% Health, HE FREAKING CAST DOOM on my leader!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was like AHHHHHHHHH WTF.  Couldn't kill him in time and I die.  That was probably the fight that pisses me off the most though out the entire game.  I came back a few days later and that time I saving up TP for summon when I get Doom again.  Somehow this time, he did not use Doom when he was low health.    Was that random or something? Who in the fucking right mind would do that!!!! Did it happen to anyone else? "

  I think with that boss that happens after a certain amount of time. If he hits you with that and you got him down to 5%- 10% you should have just gone for it (relentless assault). In future just go for it when that happens.    
#4 Edited by Marz (5642 posts) -

When you take too long they cast it, it's sort of an enrage timer.

#5 Edited by PK_Koopa (581 posts) -

Yeah if you spend too much time on a boss (not just that one, but I'm not sure if its EVERY boss) a doom counter activates. 
Yeah its kind of a stupid addition.

#6 Posted by keyhunter (3207 posts) -

They should at least have a spell or item that cures DOOM.

#7 Posted by Hailinel (23692 posts) -
@keyhunter said:
" They should at least have a spell or item that cures DOOM. "
There never has been.  The only way Doom could be cured in any Final Fantasy game is to finish the battle before the timer runs out.
#8 Posted by keyhunter (3207 posts) -
@Hailinel: As a person who has never played a "proper" final fantasy game, I am thoroughly disgusted.
#9 Posted by Hailinel (23692 posts) -
@keyhunter said:
" @Hailinel: As a person who has never played a "proper" final fantasy game, I am thoroughly disgusted. "
It's not that bad.  There are some battles in Final Fantasy XIII where the Doom counter is triggered at the start of battle and you have to finish them quickly.  Then there are some battles where Doom is cast if you take too long, but that only happened to me twice over the course of playing the entire game, and those battles had been going for quite a while before Doom was triggered.
#10 Posted by doe3879 (778 posts) -

so the game punished me for my play style...'slowly shake head' 
@Lautaro said:

  I think with that boss that happens after a certain amount of time. If he hits you with that and you got him down to 5%- 10% you should have just gone for it (relentless assault). In future just go for it when that happens.     "
 
I wouldn't last 10seconds if I were to go all out attacking
#11 Posted by Lautaro (448 posts) -
@doe3879 said:
" so the game punished me for my play style...'slowly shake head' 
@Lautaro said:
  I think with that boss that happens after a certain amount of time. If he hits you with that and you got him down to 5%- 10% you should have just gone for it (relentless assault). In future just go for it when that happens.     "
 
I wouldn't last 10seconds if I were to go all out attacking "
Relentless assault and combat clinic got me through that fight, different play styles i guess.
#12 Posted by ClownDetective (142 posts) -

If you take that long (I think it's 20 mins on bosses) to beat them, then you're playing the game way way way too cautiously. It's there to stop you from doing that.

#13 Posted by ricetopher (1046 posts) -

As it's been said already, its a time thing (after 20 minutes I think) in most boss fights. Honestly, No fight in this game should take 20 minutes. I never encountered it, but I've heard summons will cancel the doom timer.

#14 Posted by ZenaxPure (2569 posts) -
@ClownDetective: @ricetopher: These gents are right, you are taking to long on bosses. It's a nice way for the game to tell you that you are bad at the combat (please before you flame me note I am saying it's the games mentality, not mine exactly). I had it happen once at the end of chapter 11 but after that it never happened again. I learned from my ways too, the first time I did that fight it took me about 23 minutes, the second time took about 2:30. I did so many things differently on that second play through and they all payed off. When I took my time discovering obvious things about making combat go faster I felt like a retard big times. The combat is a lot simpler (just very intricate) than people say, I've heard of people who have trouble of trash at points in the game... just blows my mind away to think of that.
#15 Posted by Natedogg2 (444 posts) -
@ricetopher said:
" As it's been said already, its a time thing (after 20 minutes I think) in most boss fights. Honestly, No fight in this game should take 20 minutes. I never encountered it, but I've heard summons will cancel the doom timer. "
I'm pretty sure that summons will just pause the Doom counter, not cancel it (so while the Summon is out, the timer won't decrease. But as soon as the summon goes away, the counter will start going down again).
#16 Posted by ThatFrood (3373 posts) -
@Jimbo7676 said:
" Welcome to final fantasy. "
#17 Posted by KingBroly (1645 posts) -

The game is telling you that you need to wrap it up.

#18 Posted by Scheds (463 posts) -

 Not nearly enough Chappelle's Show references on this website.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.