Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 09, 2010

This entry into the Final Fantasy universe is set in the worlds of Pulse and Cocoon. Players take control of multiple characters who are caught in a war between these worlds.

Brad! Where's the FF13 review?

• 76 results
    ErisRon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ErisRon

I understand the GB krew is busy. I understand when a review is a day or two late (or maybe till 3 days). I don't understand when a review is really overdue.    

tomte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By tomte

considering that lasttuesday(5-6 days ago) he was only like 2 hours into the game, i would say that we would have to wait for at least 1 more week until we can start talking about a review.
    it's a 50 hour game, meaning that even if he puts 4 hours into it every day it will take him 2 weeks to finish it, then it takes a day or two to write a review. Including that there have been the GDC, pax is coming up etc.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By EvilTwin

GDC all last week. 

Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Deusoma

I bet he's stuck at the challenge level near the end where Lightning has to kill all the demons in one continuous combo.

ErisRon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ErisRon

Yeah I know guys, thanks. But I think they get the game way earlier (not always) for our video game critics to get their reviews to coincide with the retail date. Correct me if I'm wrong.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By JJOR64
    @EvilTwin said:
    " GDC all last week.  "
    This plus it takes a long time to play through a Final Fantasy game.  Just give the man some time so he can to a proper review.
    FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By FunExplosions
    @Deusoma said:
    " I bet he's stuck at the challenge level near the end where Lightning has to kill all the demons in one continuous combo. "
    Ha!
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By CL60

According to his achievements page he only has gotten 4 achievements. Which would mean he is only like...5-6 hours into the game.

In other words, don't expect a review any time soon.

reign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By reign

It's not like FF XIII is a 50-60 hour experience or anything.

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

It's a 50 hour game and he doesn't seem to like it.  Have fun waiting another week.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By meteora
    @tomte said:
    " considering that lasttuesday(5-6 days ago) he was only like 2 hours into the game, i would say that we would have to wait for at least 1 more week until we can start talking about a review. it's a 50 hour game, meaning that even if he puts 4 hours into it every day it will take him 2 weeks to finish it, then it takes a day or two to write a review. Including that there have been the GDC, pax is coming up etc. "
    50 hours? I thought it would be like 24 hours judging from how I clocked in 8 hours for disc one. Good to know then.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CL60
    @Meteora said:
    " @tomte said:
    " considering that lasttuesday(5-6 days ago) he was only like 2 hours into the game, i would say that we would have to wait for at least 1 more week until we can start talking about a review. it's a 50 hour game, meaning that even if he puts 4 hours into it every day it will take him 2 weeks to finish it, then it takes a day or two to write a review. Including that there have been the GDC, pax is coming up etc. "
    50 hours? I thought it would be like 24 hours judging from how I clocked in 8 hours for disc one. Good to know then. "
    Chapters 10-13 are like 25-30 hours long.
    ErisRon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ErisRon

This reminds me of Ryan's review of Dante's Inferno. That one was really late. I dunno, I just want to see Giantbomb be included in Metacritic and the other similar sites that aggregate scores. I want them to "win," like, be at the top if  you will, or amongst the top. It's a good advert for the site to get a review done pretty much on time.

DeShawn2ks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DeShawn2ks

Brad isn't no Fitch let him finish the game first before he reviews it.

PufferFiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By PufferFiz

if you listen to the bomb cast, after hearing what he had to say, there is no way the game is getting more than 3 stars

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CL60
    @PufferFiz said:
    " if you listen to the bomb cast, after hearing what he had to say, there is no way the game is getting more than 3 stars "
    He was judging everything he said based off of 3 hours of play...in a 50-60 hour game.
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By wefwefasdf

I don't think they got a review copy and with how long this game is--it might take a while.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Yeah, if you check Brad's achievement profile you'll see he's not too far into the game.

cravins90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By cravins90
    @PufferFiz: Again, he was only 2 hours into it, and the game does get better as you go along. I'm still far from finishing, but I would definitely rate it higher than I would have at that same point.
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By ajamafalous
    @Deusoma said:
    " I bet he's stuck at the challenge level near the end where Lightning has to kill all the demons in one continuous combo. "
    Hahahahaha
    NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By NTM

They are on metacritic.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By LiquidPrince

It's a long game. It'll be here next year.

tomte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By tomte
    @CL60 said:
    " @Meteora said:
    " @tomte said:
    50 hours? I thought it would be like 24 hours judging from how I clocked in 8 hours for disc one. Good to know then. "
    Chapters 10-13 are like 25-30 hours long. "

yeah, or well. when i started chapter 12 i had played for 42 hours, i thnk i finished it around 51... i also didnt do so many side missions, but if you do the side missions in chapter 11, im sure that chapter alone could last for 50 hours, just doing the main thing takes around 10
    ErisRon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ErisRon
    @NTM said:
    " They are on metacritic. "
    Yes they are, but not in all the reviews. I think Metacritic just achieves a certain number of game reviews in aggregating scores or something else. Have a look at Dante's Inferno, GB's review isn't there.
    ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#25  Edited By ez123
    @ErisRon: It's there.  For some reason, Ryan only reviewed the 360 version.
    McDunkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By McDunkin

He said on the Bombcast that he was sent the 360 version for some reason.  My guess is that he started over on the PS3 version which is why his achievement score is so low?

ErisRon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ErisRon
    @ez123 said:
    " @ErisRon: It's there.  For some reason, Ryan only reviewed the 360 version. "
    Oh. Ok. 
    danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#28  Edited By danielkempster

I'm sure Brad is far too busy working on his Final Fantasy IV DS review.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Rhaknar
    @ErisRon said:
    " Yeah I know guys, thanks. But I think they get the game way earlier (not always) for our video game critics to get their reviews to coincide with the retail date. Correct me if I'm wrong. "
    youre wrong. The kotaku review only came out 2 days ago or something, and they specifically bash square for giving them a review copy so late
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#30  Edited By jakob187
    @CL60 said:
    " @PufferFiz said:
    " if you listen to the bomb cast, after hearing what he had to say, there is no way the game is getting more than 3 stars "
    He was judging everything he said based off of 3 hours of play...in a 50-60 hour game. "
    Exactly.  I mean, I shit on JRPGs all the time, and I personally don't care much about the FF franchise outside of specific installments (and 7 is NOT one of the ones I like).  However, my brother has become enamored with this game and its story.  He's actually enjoying the way the battle system is set up far more than previous games, and he loves the Crystallarium or whatever it's called. 

The fact that my brother is sunk so hard into this game right now really has me curious, as he and I basically like the same FF games (except he likes 7).
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Meowayne

Brad! is the new Damn!

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Meowayne
    @jakob187 said:
    " @CL60 said:
    " @PufferFiz said:
    He was judging everything he said based off of 3 hours of play...in a 50-60 hour game. "
    Exactly.

Not to mention that it is taken to the extreme in Final Fantasy XIII, where the first 3-4 hours have practically no gameplay, let alone challenge at all.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Rhaknar
    @Meowayne said:
    " @jakob187 said:
    " @CL60 said:
    " @PufferFiz said:
    Exactly.
    Not to mention that it is taken to the extreme in Final Fantasy XIII, where the first 3-4 hours have practically no gameplay, let alone challenge at all.   "
    although i agree with what you just said, im finding hours go by fast while playing ff13,,,im just not sure if thats a good or a bad thing. I have 14 hours played, and although i am a slow player (i do every battle, and i usually buff a lot even in battles i should just kill everything fast), I find myself thinking "not much has happened in 14 hours of game", but at the same time, its not a CHORE (which is what I feared when I read AMG THE GAME DOESNT GET GOOD UNTIL 25 HOURS IN), i have been enjoying it, and as i said, the hours fly by... it just feels weird that at the same time it seems not much has happened so far.
    Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#34  Edited By Brackynews

Late review copies tend to mean the publisher does not want to risk a lot of middling reviews on launch day. (TH:Ride as one recent example.)  The other extreme is when they are absolutely certain it's triple-A (MW2) but still want to control the hype.  With months of FFXIII feedback coming out of Japan, my bet is on the former. 
    They would have been smart to send reviewers early copies of the PS3 version, letting them buy 360 on launch day if the reviewer wants to compare or slake their achievement lust.

Anyway, it will be May/June before I can put any serious time into it, and I can probably find it cheaper then. Just played some FFXII this weekend, which I bought on Halloween launch day in 2006, and my save is up to about 25 hours now.  All the more embarrassing considering how much I love Ivalice as a setting.  But that's the kind of decade it's been.  Too much work, and too many good games to find time for.

ErisRon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ErisRon
    @Rhaknar said:
    " @ErisRon said:
    " Yeah I know guys, thanks. But I think they get the game way earlier (not always) for our video game critics to get their reviews to coincide with the retail date. Correct me if I'm wrong. "
    youre wrong. The kotaku review only came out 2 days ago or something, and they specifically bash square for giving them a review copy so late "
    That's why I said "not always." Still, I appreciate the input.
    ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @ErisRon said:
    " @Rhaknar said:
    " @ErisRon said:
    youre wrong. The kotaku review only came out 2 days ago or something, and they specifically bash square for giving them a review copy so late "
    That's why I said "not always." Still, I appreciate the input. "
    I don't remember the Kotaku review exactly (so I've no idea when they got their review copy) but I know Ryan over at IGN was playing his PS3 review copy when PSN died which was more than a week before the game launched, seems plenty early enough to me even for an RPG.
    Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Rhaknar
    @ErisRon said:
    " @Rhaknar said:
    " @ErisRon said:
    That's why I said "not always." Still, I appreciate the input. "
    my "you're wrong" sounded a bit harsh, but it was a direct reply to your "correct me if i'm wrong" :P I didn't mean to be a cunt
    Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#38  Edited By Vorbis

Honestly im suprised GB is reviewing a JRPG at all, usually they don't go beyond mentioning them on the bombcast as a new release.

Persona 4 being the exception of course.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @Vorbis said:
    " Honestly im suprised GB is reviewing a JRPG at all, usually they don't go beyond mentioning them on the bombcast as a new release.  Persona 4 being the exception of course. "
    It has surprised me a bit as well, even beyond the scope of simply "jrpgs". They don't review RPGs in general, seriously. Mass Effect 2 is the only full fledged RPG they have reviewed since when exactly? I mean sure we saw a review for Dragon Age but that was done by Dave which isn't a main writer on staff or anything. They don't seem to enjoy many RPGs in general so any review they do of the genre catches me off guard. And really the community as a whole doesn't seem to be interested in them outside of the main steam stuff so a review for the game seems kind of pointless really.
    ptys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#40  Edited By ptys

I don't think he likes it that much?.. Also... maybe he's doing the GOW3 review... But you're right, I've actually ended up buying it from overseas cause I was waiting on Giant Bomb's final verdict... but just couldn't wait any longer and went with my gut. I should be playing it in about a week, I have low expectations.

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#41  Edited By delta_ass
    @Zenaxzd said:

" @Vorbis said:

" Honestly im suprised GB is reviewing a JRPG at all, usually they don't go beyond mentioning them on the bombcast as a new release.  Persona 4 being the exception of course. "
    It has surprised me a bit as well, even beyond the scope of simply "jrpgs". They don't review RPGs in general, seriously. Mass Effect 2 is the only full fledged RPG they have reviewed since when exactly? I mean sure we saw a review for Dragon Age but that was done by Dave which isn't a main writer on staff or anything. They don't seem to enjoy many RPGs in general so any review they do of the genre catches me off guard. And really the community as a whole doesn't seem to be interested in them outside of the main steam stuff so a review for the game seems kind of pointless really. "
    They've reviewed Fable 2, Fallout 3, Dragon Age, Torchlight, and Mass Effect 2. Seeing as how they've been around for 2 years, those are pretty much all the big RPGs available for review.
    patrick5152003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#42  Edited By patrick5152003

wow, i had no idea this game was this long
    EpicReflex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By EpicReflex

I feel sorry for Brad, having to endure this game for its entirety.

2 stars and walk away.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @Delta_Ass: Yes, I am not disagreeing with that since it is mostly what I was getting at, it is just compared to other genres (shooters being a great example) where they will review more niche titles they seem to only review major RPG releases, which admittedly FF13 is no matter how cool it is to hate it because the franchise is popular. Just makes me wish they had someone on staff to review the more niche stuff :|
    Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Supermarius

I think the destructoid review hasnt come out either. Im pretty sure that many western sites were not given the game early because Square was afraid of getting bad reviews that would reduce sales in the US. Im pretty sure this is not GB's fault.

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#46  Edited By Vorbis

Destructoid were told they couldn't get their copy early due to pirating issues, which asks the question why not just send out the PS3 version instead?

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#47  Edited By alternate

I don't think GB busts itself to get day 1 reviews - not really what the site is about.  gonna be 3 stars anyway :P

nexas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By nexas

I doubt we will even get a review. Brad doesn't seem to like it that much so I doubt he will actually finish it.

Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#49  Edited By Rockdalf

I estimate 4 stars for solid game play you have to dig through to get to.  Time will tell though.  I would hardly call this a three star game myself.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#50  Edited By the8bitNacho
    @Nexas said:
    " I doubt we will even get a review. Brad doesn't seem to like it that much so I doubt he will actually finish it. "
    As so many people have already iterated upon continuously on this thread, he said everything he did based upon the game's tutorial, which is about three hours long.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.