Do I need to read the datalog to understand anything?

#1 Posted by Simplexity (1382 posts) -

I am about 4 hours in, and I could not be more confused I am completely in the dark I have no idea what the characters are doing, where we are going and what our goal is. So do I need to read like a bunch of badly formatted text to understand wtf is going on?

#2 Posted by Pessh (2459 posts) -

Yep.

#3 Posted by Simplexity (1382 posts) -

Great.

#4 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2133 posts) -

Apparently you do need to read on that backlog as it basically covers the contents of the world, including key things that seem to play vital roles throughout the story.
 
Someone who has played it thoroughly will probably have a better opinion than I on this, however based on hearing that from online sources and from a few friends, the idea of having to read the background of a game world before playing it just to understand what is going on is always a bad design decision.  I would never play a game that cannot make sense of itself within itself if the gameplay doesn't hold for me personally.

#5 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3134 posts) -

Probably not, they explain most things later on, but the datalog and info about the world is the most interesting thing in the game since you don't actually get to visit half the places that are in it, and if you do stop by, the only thing you'll be doing is fighting off security and running.

#6 Posted by niamahai (1394 posts) -
@ShiftyMagician said:
" Apparently you do need to read on that backlog as it basically covers the contents of the world, including key things that seem to play vital roles throughout the story.  Someone who has played it thoroughly will probably have a better opinion than I on this, however based on hearing that from online sources and from a few friends, the idea of having to read the background of a game world before playing it just to understand what is going on is always a bad design decision.  I would never play a game that cannot make sense of itself within itself if the gameplay doesn't hold for me personally. "

AC (more for 'historical facts') and ME did it but it was not cumbersome to the game cause YOU yourself would be interested to know more.
 
after completing FF13 and going on a wiki site to read all the datalog entries, I realize none of the stuff there was hinted or implied in the game. Also maybe because they decided it was cool to have every diety having such fantabolous mucho pretty pretty names, it was hard to keep track who was who and I bet majority of the people would go "WHO DAT" everytime they mention "the great lyche something something".
 
Sadly FF13 is the game i find vvvveeerrry hard to recommend for anybody to play even at a lower price point.  
Online
#7 Posted by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -
@ShiftyMagician said:
" Apparently you do need to read on that backlog as it basically covers the contents of the world, including key things that seem to play vital roles throughout the story.  Someone who has played it thoroughly will probably have a better opinion than I on this, however based on hearing that from online sources and from a few friends, the idea of having to read the background of a game world before playing it just to understand what is going on is always a bad design decision.  I would never play a game that cannot make sense of itself within itself if the gameplay doesn't hold for me personally. "
This.
 
You can easily complete the game and understand it without ever reading, but the game has so many technicalities that you could easily be left behind. I'd suggest to only read it if you're completely lost.
#8 Posted by Pessh (2459 posts) -

Just read the chapter summary stuff, no need to get into chocobos and all that jazz

#9 Posted by Simplexity (1382 posts) -
@Make_Me_Mad:   okay so the datalog thing is just to flesh out the universe then? and eventually the game will start making any sort of sense, cause that would be nice.
#10 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3134 posts) -
@Prodstep:
It'll make more sense than it did at the beginning.  Or at least the overarching plot will.  Sort of.  Not to say it'll be good.  The datalog is full of all the info that you'd normally find in a Final Fantasy game by talking to NPCs, doing side missions, and generally exploring.  In this game, they decided to cut out all of those things to make room for more fighting (Streamlined!  We cut out everything but the grinding and melodrama!), and you get to read it in the datalog instead.
#11 Posted by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -
@Prodstep said:
" @Make_Me_Mad:   okay so the datalog thing is just to flesh out the universe then? and eventually the game will start making any sort of sense, cause that would be nice. "
If you're in the dark at all, start reading. Otherwise it'll give you more reasons to hate the game, as seems to be the prevailing opinion around here.
#12 Posted by Brendan (8174 posts) -

Reading the chapter summaries will give you a better idea of what is happening than the cut-scenes themselves.  This is mostly due to the explanations of characters feelings and motivations that aren't communicated nearly as well in the game itself.  Everything else doesn't really matter that much.

#13 Edited by TobbRobb (4853 posts) -

You get kind of an half-assed explanation for a lot of stuff towards the end, and at least I figured out a lot of the weird terms through the context in which they were mentioned so everything turned a lot more understandable as it went. But yeah if you're annoyed at being kept in the dark, either read the datalogs or quit the game, because otherwise you're looking forward to 20+ hours of not understanding shit.

#14 Posted by Venatio (4493 posts) -

I read everything as soon as I got new info, then again I also read the entire Codex in Mass Effect 2
 
I would recommend reading it

#15 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2133 posts) -
@TobbRobb said:
" You get kind of an half-assed explanation for a lot of stuff towards the end, and at least I figured out a lot of the weird terms through the context in which they were mentioned so everything turned a lot more understandable as it went. But yeah if you're annoyed at being kept in the dark, either read the datalogs or quit the game, because otherwise you're looking forward to 20+ hours of not understanding shit. "
Sometimes I might go through a game that ends up not explaining the story and/or world elements well, and continue just to see how humorous the game can be at trying to make me care for things that I got no idea about.  Depends on how the game carries out their explanations I guess, as well as the gameplay (because good gameplay can usually save a badly-written game).
 
I tend to be easily amused by those little things, like seeing the dudes in Tekken talk to each other in different languages.  God that was ridiculous yet hilarious.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.