Do You Like The Name Lightning For The Protagonist?

#1 Posted by TLT21 (80 posts) -

#2 Posted by MattyFTM (14431 posts) -

I'm undecided. Its a bit weird, but so are most FF names. I suppose I'll get used to it.

Moderator Online
#3 Posted by suneku (2997 posts) -

I like the ring to it.

#4 Posted by Trickster (60 posts) -

I would think that it is her codename?

If it is her name then it's a bit wierd, will be even wierder casting water with a character named lightning

#5 Posted by TLT21 (80 posts) -

Well i guess the first time i heard Cloud Strife i thought it was a bit weird too.

#6 Posted by Trickster (60 posts) -

Think I was to young to care about character names when i bought FFVII, but i see your point :)

#7 Posted by Psytek (174 posts) -

I miss the days where you could choose the name of the main character, I called cloud something stupid, can't remember now what it was.

#8 Posted by Pakorn (183 posts) -

Think about the storm related naming conventions for the main characters in many of the more recent Final Fantasy games. It fits with the theme there.

Cloud
Squall
Tidus
Lightning

#9 Posted by Zaxex (594 posts) -

Not a fan of the name personally, perhaps lightning will seem more appealing after playing the game. :P

#10 Posted by Disgaeamad (1342 posts) -

It's pretty fitting, I'd say, although I'll agree with the idea that it might be a codename.

#11 Posted by ethanpaige (12 posts) -

I like it. It's... different. Then again main characters in FF games tend to have unique names.

#12 Posted by hungrynun (444 posts) -

Lighting is a sick name. Alias or not.

#13 Posted by sdodd02 (722 posts) -

eh, it's okay I guess.

#14 Posted by RVonE (4699 posts) -

I'm having a hard time believing that's her actual name. it must be an alias or something. While all Final Fantasy protagonists have weird names, at least they kind of sound like actual names when taken in context. Also, they usually have a first and last name.
I wonder what she's currently called in Japan. Do you think it's just the Japanese word for lightning?

#15 Posted by BoG (5192 posts) -

I think they're trying REALLY hard to make her like Cloud. Cloud, Lightning, I'm catching a pattern here. Personally, I don't like it so much, but I didn't like the name Zidane, either. i've since warmed up to the name, and love FFIX.

#16 Posted by AndrewGaspar (2419 posts) -

Eh... I'm iffy on her name.

#17 Posted by RVonE (4699 posts) -
BoG said:
"I think they're trying REALLY hard to make her like Cloud. Cloud, Lightning, I'm catching a pattern here. Personally, I don't like it so much, but I didn't like the name Zidane, either. i've since warmed up to the name, and love FFIX.
"
Yeah, FFIX is just so good it makes you love any name.
#18 Posted by Whittico (18 posts) -

Ehh, I dunno. When I first heard the name in my head, I thought it was stupid, but it's quickly growing on me. Plus, I agree that it's probably not her real name just an alias she goes by... Hmm, what if they make it so that you can give her a name, but she still goes by Lightning, like a create a athlete mode in any number of sports games?

#19 Posted by ijyt (14 posts) -

Now all I can think about is Lightning McQueen.

#20 Posted by Aljosa15 (315 posts) -

It's not her real name. It's a codename for her because she resembles Cloud Strife.

#21 Edited by Shane (152 posts) -

"It's her codename because she resembles Cloud Strife"

WTF are you talking about, Is Cloud Strife in FF13 or something? That's hardly the reason she was given the codename, as someone earlier said, it's fits in with all the other characters named after natural phenomena

#22 Posted by Leon31 (125 posts) -

Torn; as a code name it is a good name that describes how she attacks and moves, though I hope they go farther into her character and tell us her actual name. Just have to wait till next year(hopefully) I guess.

#23 Posted by dartagnan (71 posts) -

when I heard 'Lightning' was her name, I wanted to go and punch a friggin' baby, has to be one of the most unoriginal names ever.

#24 Posted by Lost_In_Gaming (210 posts) -

That's not even a name...at least in America.  "If you don't like America, then you can GET OUT!"  :P  It's probably sounds better in Japanese, like every JRPG.

#25 Posted by queen_valentine (32 posts) -

I like it. Isn't it a codename for her real name though? Isn't that what Square had said?

#26 Edited by AuthenticM (3801 posts) -

Guys, Lightning isn't her real name. Nomura himself has said it's her code name. Her real name won't be reveiled until the game's launch (probably). Geez, do you guys live under a rock? They've said so a long time ago (read: over a year).

#27 Posted by psychomode (784 posts) -

It's her code name... I want to know her real name. Needless to say, I like it.

#28 Posted by AuthenticM (3801 posts) -

I just had an epiphany! If they continue the trend like they said they would...

-FFVII: Cloud
-FFVIII: Squall
-FFX: Tidus
-FFXIII: RAIN

Something in me tells me her name will be Rain (or Raine, Rayn, Rayne). It's actually a beautiful name, when you think about it.

#29 Posted by Lies (3868 posts) -

I dunno. I kinda like Lightning. I wouldn't mind if it was the final name.

#30 Posted by LightYagami245 (1117 posts) -
Lies said:
" I dunno. I kinda like Lightning. I wouldn't mind if it was the final name.
"
I thought Lightning will be a code name. Her real name will be revealed in the game, but I think I heard somewhere that she doesn't remember it. This is probably a rumor though.
#31 Posted by the_spork (9 posts) -
Pakorn said:
"Think about the storm related naming conventions for the main characters in many of the more recent Final Fantasy games. It fits with the theme there.

Cloud
Squall
Tidus
Lightning
"
Yeah Lightning fits the theme and I'm fine with it, but naming someone Lighting does make it feel like they're running out of storm related names.
#32 Posted by Ossi (1229 posts) -

The name Lightning doesn't bother me, it does seem weird but Cloud was weird too. We're pretty much use to it now.

#33 Posted by Wesley (39 posts) -

Its abit naff but hey, it's not a far cry from 'Cloud'.

#34 Posted by herrbasan (19 posts) -

Just think about how great it will be in the story, when you learn her true name. Always some nice story assets in names.

#35 Posted by Celegus (82 posts) -

There's been worse, and there's definitely been better. I'm hoping it'll make more sense once we know more about the game.

#36 Posted by Flame_Blade88 (8 posts) -

Yeah like others are saying, that's not her real name. Lightning is her code name.

#37 Posted by pikastar (95 posts) -

When I first heard that her name was Lightning I thought it was a little weird. But now I think it is pretty cool, whether it is her alias or not. Wouldnt mind at all if thats what she is called through the majority of the game. I just hope that if it is an alias that her real name wont be horrible.

#38 Posted by hazelnutman (1097 posts) -

I like it a lot.

#39 Posted by Wanderer5 (14 posts) -

It sound kinda weird, but it also sound cool. But I didn't know it was her code name.

#40 Posted by BloodCurse (35 posts) -

I don't mind the name.  I'm pretty glad to see a woman as the main character.  Hopefully she'll be a tough-as-nails chick (seems that way so far); if she ends up being a damsel in distress having to be rescued by a dude who looks like a chick, I'll be pissed.

#41 Posted by SecondCity (2 posts) -

I don't see how it could be a bad name.

#42 Posted by calf_exercises (858 posts) -

its no worse than cloud is it?

btw, was cloud even a main charecter, I've never played a FF game but this one might be my first

#43 Posted by evilhomer (429 posts) -

no

#44 Posted by Kushiel (32 posts) -

I'm not really crazy about it, to be honest.  I'm not sure why, but "Lightning" just seems a little too awkward to be her real name... I hope it is a codename or whatever, I hadn't heard that rumor but it gives me hope!  Regardless, I'm sure this game is going to be amazing, I haven't ever played a FF game that I didn't love. 

#45 Edited by HoldSteady828 (165 posts) -
Breaking News: Final Fantasy Character's Name Baffling, Weird
#46 Posted by Shigginator (124 posts) -

I think it's an unusual name, but the name of the characters really doesn't matter as far as I'm concerned.

#47 Posted by Shygirlfrumfl (9 posts) -

I like the name Lightning sounds cool and dark.Although is Lightning her real name or just some codename?Well Lightning is still cool and imo it suits her well.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.