Does anyone dread that FFXIII will be a "mild disappointment"?

#1 Edited by Bghattas (39 posts) -

I wasn't expecting this game to be as spectacular as Sidra Holland's breasts but I did expect another strong entry in the Final Fantasy series. However, all the talk I've heard about Square-Enix having a lot of stuff that was left on the cutting room floor, early reviews from both importers and online reviewers alike saying that the game is a step backwards, the fact that they hired Leona Lewis to sing the theme song and the heavy emphasis on the showy cutscenes and talk-talk has me worried.

Is there anybody like me, who hasn't played the game, thinking that Final Fantasy XIII will just be a "mild disappointment" when it's all said and done and is coming into March 9 with that mindset? Kind of reminds me of the 2010 Canadian Winter Olympics squad: talking big for 4 years and delivering medium so far.

#2 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

If you're a big fan of Final Fantasy or got into the hype; you'll probably be disappointed. After all, its been so goddamn long since its been announced and shown to the public. By now people either don't care or really do care.

There's plenty of games that also seem really good at first but then its flaws start to poke out like a sore thumb. Modern Warfare 2 being a good recent example.

#3 Posted by onimonkii (2441 posts) -

i have pretty much 0 expectations for final fantasy xiii anymore. going back and playing older ones and i don't enjoy them as much, haven't played 12, so it's only up from here.

#4 Posted by ReaperOfLiving (491 posts) -

As long as it is above the average RPG then I could care less.  All this anger over the linearity I think is stupid?  Does it make the game play below an average RPG?  If this is the worst Final Fantasy yet but still a great RPG then it is sold.

#5 Posted by FartyMcNarly (566 posts) -

I thought being a disappointment was part of a final fantasy game.

#6 Posted by Shirogane (3573 posts) -

The battle system seems decent, or somewhat interesting. But FF storylines have been boring lately...actually, i hated everything about 12, battle system, storyline, plot, characters, setting. Couldn't be worse than that.
#7 Edited by Cornman89 (1579 posts) -

Whose breasts?

...Wait, what are we talking about?

#8 Posted by GunstarRed (5178 posts) -

Nope, quite the opposite actually. 

I don't have anything resembling the excitement I  have had for previous games in the series though. I remember taking two weeks off of college and turning down a meeting with a girl for more time with Final Fantasy X ... nothing like that now.

I doubt it could be as disappointing as XII was.    

#9 Posted by Jadeskye (4367 posts) -

i'm looking forward to it but i do have caution. 

it looks good, the gameplay engine looks fantastic. if nothing else it'll give my brain a good workout by flashing constant 999,999s into it.

#10 Posted by Bones8677 (3241 posts) -

I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't a little bit worried that I wouldn't like it. I don't mind too much that it will be linear, I really liked Final Fantasy 10, so I may be just fine. Though with all items being bought at save points, no towns, and no going around in an air ship. I'm very hesitant. But I still have to check it out.

#11 Edited by hai2u (322 posts) -

used to be a huge FF fan but not so much anymore. FFXIII looks very melodramatic and a game thats marketed towards tween girls. graphics look gorgeous but I;m afraid the game will offer little else besides that. Still dunno if I will get it or not :/

#12 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

inb4 KaosAngel.

#13 Posted by PushThePig (64 posts) -

Yes. But I haven't really been satisfied with a FF game since IX, so it won't be anything surprising.

#14 Posted by Deusoma (3006 posts) -

Well, "mild disappointment" would be better than "tremendous disappointment", so as long as it's not another GTA IV, I'm good. If it is a minor let-down, though, I'll definitely wait a while before I pick it up, wait for the price to drop.

#15 Posted by Bghattas (39 posts) -

Yes, I'm still going to buy Final Fantasy XIII on Day One as I have to see for myself. I think a lot of people are going to debate its merits long after March 9. Some people at pro-PS3 sites wonder if the game was compromised so it could "fit" onto the Xbox 360.

Honestly, I didn't like either X or X-2. However, I enjoyed XII. I guess I had an attraction to Fran and her body.

#16 Posted by hitechstaff (4 posts) -

I'm a big fan of FF franchise but it seems like they repeat the same plot over & over again. Of course they change the names and the visual so now we have a Cloud as Lightning acting as Squall, and her sister Sarha acting like Ash on FF XII, can't see Yuna though but it's there for sure ( disguised as a guy this time - who knows). The game-play looks nice form the trailers but we will just end up clicking the same button till level 99 so we may have 99999 damage and than using berserker and riping off every thing in sight. I wouldn't bet, but I think that FF XIII  will be "a lot of" disappointment. 

#17 Posted by natetodamax (19205 posts) -

I'm excited for this game and I haven't played a single FF game in the past. So I doubt I'll be disappointed by this one.

#18 Posted by dropbearGSH (76 posts) -

I am worried that I may have outgrown the JRPG: I loved FF VII, VIII, and X, but I tried Lost Odyssey (made by some FF veterans I believe) and I could not make it past the first three hours.  I think it may be that the stories just don't click with me anymore, and it's hard to believe a character is some kind of battle-hardened badass when he looks like an effeminate 15 year old emo kid.

#19 Posted by nukesniper (1312 posts) -

I always have this feeling with Final Fantasy games. They are in the league of games that just might suck once they hit shelves. Still, everyone is always excited when they are coming out. This is why I won't be getting FFXIII immediately after release. I have some friends that know what I like in a FF game and they will let me know.

#20 Posted by DrWhat (284 posts) -

XIII is the first one I've been properly interested in in a while, actually. Though I definitely am hoping that I can have Japanese voices and English subtitles, but whatever. I think the battle system looks pretty interesting from Brad's ask-me-anything, it seems like a pretty good update of the old ATB for a more modern feel and faster action.

#21 Posted by MikkaQ (10288 posts) -
@CL60 said:
" inb4 KaosAngel. "
 Me too.  

And yeah this game isn't looking that great. They didn't have much to say for the gameplay, so this has me worried about it, and the cutscenes look pretty overdone, but it's expected I suppose. I just don't want 10 hours of it. I'm also kinda bored of your standard JRPG. I'd like them to grow up and do things the modern way. 
#22 Posted by ProfessorEss (7365 posts) -

I've never been a huge fan and have virtually no expectations so I guess all I can really be is "pleasantly surprised".

#23 Posted by Cornman89 (1579 posts) -
@dropbearGSH said:
" I am worried that I may have outgrown the JRPG: I loved FF VII, VIII, and X, but I tried Lost Odyssey (made by some FF veterans I believe) and I could not make it past the first three hours.  I think it may be that the stories just don't click with me anymore, and it's hard to believe a character is some kind of battle-hardened badass when he looks like an effeminate 15 year old emo kid. "
I'm in pretty much the same place.

Lucky for you, though, Lightning is like 21 or something, which is practically ancient in anime years!
#24 Posted by pause422 (6184 posts) -

I already know it will be a disappointing, and not a mild one.

#25 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

It already is.  NO ONE is talking about on Japanese forums anymore which is odd considering FF6-8, and FF10 are still talked about constantly.  The game wasn't worth the 9800円 I paid for.  It sure as hell isn't worth the $60 NA has to pay.

#26 Posted by uniform (1835 posts) -

I'm really concerned that I've outgrown Final Fantasy. The series has always focused on a Teenage demographic, and I'm a long ways past that age. When I look at the characters in this XIII, I can't help but groan. Is that one guy really wearing a skull cap/beanie, w/e? Does this game have Hip Hop music too? I really like the Lightning character, from her design to serious nature. The red headed girl, with the pigtails, is A-W-F-U-L, awful, awful, awful. I've never been more irritated by human voice. 

I love the series, and had a lot of fun, but I believe I've really outgrown it. This one seems to be targeting an audience that likes things that bother me.

#27 Posted by spazmaster666 (1967 posts) -

I'm about as excited for it as I am about any other JRPG, which is to say a mild, but not high level of excitement. Then again, I'm just happy to have another PS3 game to play (haven't really played a game on my PS3 since Uncharted 2).

#28 Posted by ZenaxPure (2569 posts) -

Nope not at all, I am going in expecting something different from the past games and by looking at the combat system and a lot of the other design choices I am getting just that. A lot of people ironically expect the series to be the same shit over and over each game despite wishing it would "change" (and then complain about it when it is different and yearn for it to be the same as past titles) but whatever, Square can't please them, just keep remaking the old games on the DS or whatever to shut them up and keep doing new things with the series imo.  

After going through XII for the second time and collecting basically everything in it (full sky pirates den, wyrmhero blade, etc) it became my favorite in the series because it was so different yet awesome than X before it which at the time I also found to be some of the most fun I have had with the series. I'm glad the folks at Square aren't rehashing the same stuff each new game and eagerly await to see what their plans for FF15 are.

#29 Posted by frankfartmouth (1018 posts) -

I'm not dreading it. I'm a huge fan of the FF series, but there's way too much hyperbole surrounding discussions over which one's the best, is this one better than that one, etc. They're all good. Really. Even II, III, VIII, and XI, whether you think they stand up to others in the series or not, are all decent games in their own right. But people let out all this vective about hating VIII or wanting to wipe their asses with IX. Gimme a break. Some I liked more than others, but none of them was a complete waste of time. It's not like FF II is Big Rigs or Superman 64. It's just not as good as some of the others.  

With that aside, I'm sure I'll enjoy XIII, as I have all entries in the series. Will it be up to the level of VI, VII, IV, or X for me? I'm betting not. I think it'll be one of the lesser FFs. But here's hoping.   
#30 Posted by Kbm600 (446 posts) -
@FartyMcNarly said:
" I thought being a disappointment was part of a final fantasy game. "
Is anything you say on these forums ever productive?
#31 Edited by Ghostiet (5269 posts) -

After KaosAngel basicly jizzed the Internets after playing it and then, after finishing it said that the game is shit? Yes, I am. That guy in general is consequential when he is excited about something, but FFXIII broke that - that's a bad sign.

#32 Posted by ZenaxPure (2569 posts) -
@frankfartmouth said:
" I'm not dreading it. I'm a huge fan of the FF series, but there's way too much hyperbole surrounding discussions over which one's the best, is this one better than that one, etc. They're all good. Really. Even II, III, VIII, and XI, whether you think they stand up to others in the series or not, are all decent games in their own right. But people let out all this vective about hating VIII or wanting to wipe their asses with IX. Gimme a break.                                           "
*nod* Hello new user, glad to see you know whats up.
#33 Posted by luce (4045 posts) -
@frankfartmouth said:
" I'm not dreading it. I'm a huge fan of the FF series, but there's way too much hyperbole surrounding discussions over which one's the best, is this one better than that one, etc. They're all good. Really. Even II, III, VIII, and XI, whether you think they stand up to others in the series or not, are all decent games in their own right. But people let out all this vective about hating VIII or wanting to wipe their asses with IX. Gimme a break. Some I liked more than others, but none of them was a complete waste of time. It's not like FF II is Big Rigs or Superman 64. It's just not as good as some of the others.   With that aside, I'm sure I'll enjoy XIII, as I have all entries in the series. Will it be up to the level of VI, VII, IV, or X for me? I'm betting not. I think it'll be one of the lesser FFs. But here's hoping.    "
Welcome.

I recommend the Hamburger for- *shot*
#34 Posted by Tesla (1923 posts) -

After the boring and bland XII I don't expect much out of Final Fantasy anymore.  I'll probably rent XIII at some point in the future, but gone are the days when I buy a FF game on day one.  Too bad, it was a good run.

#35 Posted by Rhombus_Of_Terror (2101 posts) -
@uniform said:
" I'm really concerned that I've outgrown Final Fantasy."  

I'm inclined to agree with you there...
#36 Posted by minotaka (320 posts) -

I quite liked FFX, i guess i was a sucker for the soppy story and fancy pretty visuals of the time. So i guess if i stick with that mindset, ill  be happy with Xiii .... i hope. I've deliberatly kept myself in the dark over most of the footage however, seeming most people are mentioning how story-based / the amount of chatter goes on, i want for it to be as much of a suprise as possible!  :)))))

#37 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7616 posts) -
@hai2u said:

" used to be a huge FF fan but not so much anymore. FFXIII looks very melodramatic and a game thats marketed towards tween girls. graphics look gorgeous but I;m afraid the game will offer little else besides that. Still dunno if I will get it or not :/ "

Pretty much exactly how I feel..  their attempt to make the game dramatic and have character emotion only comes off as very corny.  Really not impressed with what we've seen.  Cut-scenes and characters look bad and I haven't found any of the lore or universe in the slightest bit appealing.  I've not played the game of course, but I'm not expecting much..  will probably only buy the game when it's cheap.
#38 Posted by turbomonkey138 (4950 posts) -

#39 Posted by Cube (4366 posts) -

Nice stab at the Canadian team, tool. :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.