'FFXIII-2' domain name registered.

#1 Posted by Shinri (534 posts) -

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a297655/square-enix-registers-ffxiii-2-domain.html

Let's... hope it's not as bad as FFX-2? Actually, I sort of liked FFX-2 in a weird way.  I actually find this highly amusing after listening to the GB GOTY podcasts and hearing that whole 'FF needs a break' thing.  Either way, I actually sort of liked FFXIII, so I'm not TOO unhappy about this myself.

Let's just hope they took notes from XIII, I suppose.

#3 Posted by xyzygy (9993 posts) -

I would be intrigued with how they carry out the story if they do make a XIII-2. The ending was awesome and really left it open in terms of Fang and Vanille.

#4 Edited by Shinri (534 posts) -
@drag said:
" domain name registration means nothing, nothing at all  i wish we could move past this already "
They also refused to deny that a sequel could be possible.

It's just awfully fishy and knowing Square Enix this may as well be confirmation
#5 Posted by matti00 (668 posts) -

Didn't they do this with XII too? Anyway, I bet this never reaches fruition, and I'm kinda glad of that. Maybe I should just go back to replaying Final Fantasy's VI through X.

#6 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4754 posts) -

This is glorious, not only because FFXIII was a great game but also because I can't wait to see the haters start raging. More idiots to troll = thank you Square Enix.

#7 Posted by MattyFTM (14385 posts) -

If they do a sequel to FF XIII, I think it will probably be more like Revenant Wings than FF X-2. I can't see them working another full current gen console XIII game, when they're currently working on Versus and Agito. It will probably be a 3DS or PSP2 game. And that's if they do it, a URL guarantees nothing. It's probably just a precaution so no one else can register it if they decide to do a sequel at some point down the line.

#8 Posted by AuthenticM (3732 posts) -
@MattyFTM: I don't know about. The guys behind the game have said that they have cut so much content from the original game that they have enough for another full game, kinda like the story behind Super Mario Galaxy 2. I think it will absolutely come to current-gen consoles. And I hope so, because I really liked XIII, unlike a lot of people.
#9 Edited by Make_Me_Mad (3091 posts) -

If they do a sequel to XIII, the best thing they could do would be to let you actually visit some of the places that they talked about in the first game.  Maybe let you actually walk around a town at some point without constantly fighting, talk to people instead of just crystallized mission dispensers.  I love the world they set up in XIII, but they do a great job of leaving all of the most interesting things about it in the little 'codex' style menu instead of letting you see it all.

#10 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -

So THAT'S what Nomura meant with this image.

#11 Posted by Lestater (394 posts) -

I'm not saying the game will be bad, but this sounds like it could actually be the worst Final Fantasy.

#12 Posted by babblinmule (1262 posts) -

I loved XIII, but I have a bad feeling about a possible XIII-2. Mostly because I'm really not sure what they could do with a sequel (storywise), since they pretty much sewed up every single loose end both in the finale and pulse missions.

#13 Posted by JerichoBlyth (1044 posts) -

Oh dear.

#14 Posted by 02sfraser (847 posts) -

This doesn't surprise me. Nomura said that there was place for expansion of the XIII story and world. I think it will most likely be a portable game rather than a home console, like the 2 Kingdom Hearts spin offs.

#15 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -
@xyzygy said:
" I would be intrigued with how they carry out the story if they do make a XIII-2. The ending was awesome and really left it open in terms of Fang and Vanille. "
Spoilers? =/ Or not..?
#16 Posted by Vorbis (2750 posts) -

FFX-2 has the best combat system, it's just a shame about the rest of the game. Still, this is good news maybe this time they can make it more open world.

#17 Posted by moelarrycurly (668 posts) -
@GunslingerPanda said:
" This is glorious, not only because FFXIII was a great game but also because I can't wait to see the haters start raging. More idiots to troll = thank you Square Enix. "
@babblinmule said:
" I loved XIII, but I have a bad feeling about a possible XIII-2. Mostly because I'm really not sure what they could do with a sequel (storywise), since they pretty much sewed up every single loose end both in the finale and pulse missions. "
If anything, it will probably turn out to be something like Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII, which is a prequel for FF VII.  But at the same time, I feel like the FF XIII universe is interesting enough (and that there are still plenty of places to explore) that Square-Enix could make a more classical, open-world Final Fantasy instead of the super linear nature of FF XIII.  That being said, I hope they keep the combat system intact, because I think it's probably one of the best systems they've ever come up with. 

Of course, this is all conjecture and this game will probably never come out considering that Versus and Agito are already in the works.  Plus the fact that Final Fantasy got Giant Bomb's "Take a Break" award should factor into the devs minds (riiiight...).
#18 Posted by Blair (2507 posts) -

I guess Square never picked up their award from GOTY2010.  If this is going to happen, they had better institute a ton of major changes.

#19 Posted by xyzygy (9993 posts) -
@NekuSakuraba said:
" @xyzygy said:
" I would be intrigued with how they carry out the story if they do make a XIII-2. The ending was awesome and really left it open in terms of Fang and Vanille. "
Spoilers? =/ Or not..? "
Nah, what I said is giving away nothing. You wouldn't know what was going to happen like 5 minutes away from playing the end of the game while keeping what I said in mind.
#20 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

Whatever gives Nomura more time to finish his dream project, I'm cool with it.   

Versus XIII is the only important game from Square, and they know this.  

#21 Posted by EuanDewar (4927 posts) -

Just wanna point out, Final Fantasy XIII-2 is the stupidest fucking name ever.
#22 Posted by Hailinel (24811 posts) -
@Shinri said:
" @drag said:
" domain name registration means nothing, nothing at all  i wish we could move past this already "
They also refused to deny that a sequel could be possible.  It's just awfully fishy and knowing Square Enix this may as well be confirmation "
It still means nothing until they actually announce a sequel, which they haven't.  Only the spin-offs, which for all we know might be what this domain registration might be for, if anything.  We should be well past the point of assuming that the moment a company registers a domain or files a trademark that it means they're working on a game of that title.
#23 Posted by Shinri (534 posts) -
@Hailinel said:
" @Shinri said:
" @drag said:
They also refused to deny that a sequel could be possible.  It's just awfully fishy and knowing Square Enix this may as well be confirmation "
It still means nothing until they actually announce a sequel, which they haven't.  Only the spin-offs, which for all we know might be what this domain registration might be for, if anything.  We should be well past the point of assuming that the moment a company registers a domain or files a trademark that it means they're working on a game of that title. "
I know it doesn't mean they are definitely working on one. I'm just willing to bet they are in some capacity. Do you have anything to say about a possible FFXIII sequel?
#24 Posted by Hailinel (24811 posts) -
@Shinri said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @Shinri said:
" @drag said:
It still means nothing until they actually announce a sequel, which they haven't.  Only the spin-offs, which for all we know might be what this domain registration might be for, if anything.  We should be well past the point of assuming that the moment a company registers a domain or files a trademark that it means they're working on a game of that title. "
I know it doesn't mean they are definitely working on one. I'm just willing to bet they are in some capacity. Do you have anything to say about a possible FFXIII sequel? "
Only that Versus and Agito are coming, and I'll believe that there's an FFXIII-2 coming when there's a definite announcement about it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.