FFXIII calls to me...

#1 Posted by Pedro (80 posts) -

Being a FF fan i bought this game as soon as it was released, however after putting about 15 hours into it (and not getting very far due to reading everything and fighting every monster I could) I put the game down due to other games that came out. Since then Its been sitting on top of my psn staring at me! I really want to play it but its such an undertaking and a lot of good games keep coming out...
 
However I have a week off work next week and there are no more new releases before Christmas so I have decided to play and complete this game in a week!!!! Im really looking forward to it because I quite enjoyed the hours I put in originally and keep hearing it gets better as it goes. Hopefully I can spend about 5+ hours a day on it so I can get it completed, but im not too sure how long it will take me to complete... (I've heard rumours of 30+ hours)
 
So does anyone have any tips or advice for my week of FF? I was never too sure what weapons to upgrade at the start.
 
 Or is there anyone in the same situation as me who is thinking of doing the same thing? I would be interested to know if anyone else is planning to go back to it after all this time.
 
Cheers guys!!

#2 Posted by natetodamax (19171 posts) -

I thought it was more like 60+ hours long. It doesn't seem like the kind of game you could just finish in a weekend, even being 15 hours into it.

#3 Posted by Pedro (80 posts) -
@natetodamax said:
" I thought it was more like 60+ hours long. It doesn't seem like the kind of game you could just finish in a weekend, even being 15 hours into it. "
I have 8 days (minus 1 or two for Christmas shopping) to finish it and I plan to start at the beginning again.
#4 Posted by Dtat (1623 posts) -
@pedro: I restarted it the last time I had a few days off too. I get the feeling this will be the kind of game I go back to over and over, but never finish.
#5 Posted by Pedro (80 posts) -
@Dtat said:
" @pedro: I restarted it the last time I had a few days off too. I get the feeling this will be the kind of game I go back to over and over, but never finish. "
I have completed every FF game that I have played except for this one and I feel that if I dont do it soon I wont ever do it. So I see it as a challenge, I really hope that I manage it.
 
What was the reason that you stopped playing again? Did you enjoy it?
#6 Posted by Animasta (14648 posts) -

my final playtime was, I believe, 40 hours. maybe 35. I dunno, and I didn't do a lot of side stuff besides some of the missions on pulse.

#7 Posted by Dtat (1623 posts) -
@pedro said:
" @Dtat said:
" @pedro: I restarted it the last time I had a few days off too. I get the feeling this will be the kind of game I go back to over and over, but never finish. "
I have completed every FF game that I have played except for this one and I feel that if I dont do it soon I wont ever do it. So I see it as a challenge, I really hope that I manage it.  What was the reason that you stopped playing again? Did you enjoy it? "
I liked it...it just really didn't suck me in the way the other Final Fantasies did. The other games really created immersive worlds, and even though they were super linear, they gave the illusion of freedom, and that goes a long long way for me. I don't know. It's alright, and I'll probably end up finishing it someday.
#8 Posted by gla55jAw (2686 posts) -
@pedro 
 
 I'll have to check how many hours it took me to finish when I get home (I think I was around 45). As for weapon upgrading it pretty much depends how you want to use your characters because they all have completely different stats and some give status changes, but I'll try to put together a weapon upgrading guide soon.
#9 Edited by lokilaufey (244 posts) -

My final playtime was about 58 hours. My current playtime (including postgame) is 79 hours.
 
My favorite weapon for Lightning was the Axis Blade. You can find one around the Lindblum area I believe, possibly find/buy one before that too. My endgame setup for Lightning's equips was Enkindler (upgraded Axis Blade), 2 Aurora Scarves (upgraded from Whistlewind Scarf), and a pair of Sprint Shoes (can be found in 11.) This gave her auto-haste at the start of battle and a really, really fast ATB rate.  As she spent ATB attacking she would gain some back from doing damage. Combined with auto haste her ATB rate was really fast, even after the haste wears off.
My preferred endgame party for the post-Chapter 11 section was Lightning, Fang, and Hope. Hope had Hresvelgr (upgraded from Vidofnir) which has the effect of making his buffs last longer. For Fang, Calamity Spear (upgraded from Pandoran Spear) which has the same effect as Hresvelgr but for DEbuffs instead. I loves me some buff/debuff strategies. 
 
Final Fantasy XIII is one I really enjoyed, this coming from someone who has played all of the main games at least once. FFXIII is definitely in my top 5.

#10 Edited by Hamz (6846 posts) -

I'm sending the game back, unfinished, to my rental service tomorrow because after investing 30 hours I hit a brick wall with it once I reached Chapter 11. This is in large part because the game changed from a linear but really well paced & focused title to a slightly more open environment that forces you to grind like in an MMO. At this point you have to spend a solid 7-10 hours grinding crystal points to have any hope of further progress in the game. It just lost all sense of direction and momentum.
 
Just figured you should be made aware of this.

#11 Edited by lokilaufey (244 posts) -
@Hamz: I had a big problem with that too. I really think the dev team could have done a better job of managing it then they did, like sectioning it off and not letting you access ALL of the available Chapter 11 areas until post-game or SOMETHING. 
 
Thankfully I don't mind mindless grinding so I did fine, but I can't blame some people who were put off enough to want to stop playing.
#12 Posted by Pedro (80 posts) -
@gla55jAw said:
" @pedro    I'll have to check how many hours it took me to finish when I get home (I think I was around 45). As for weapon upgrading it pretty much depends how you want to use your characters because they all have completely different stats and some give status changes, but I'll try to put together a weapon upgrading guide soon. "
Cheers Gla, a weapon guide would be pretty handy. 45 Hours is probably around the limit of what I can do! ( With maybe a couple of late nighters)...
 
@chickenpotpi said:
" My final playtime was about 58 hours. My current playtime (including postgame) is 79 hours. My favorite weapon for Lightning was the Axis Blade. You can find one around the Lindblum area I believe, possibly find/buy one before that too. My endgame setup for Lightning's equips was Enkindler (upgraded Axis Blade), 2 Aurora Scarves (upgraded from Whistlewind Scarf), and a pair of Sprint Shoes (can be found on Pulse.) This gave her auto-haste at the start of battle and a really, really fast ATB rate.  As she spent ATB attacking she would gain some back from doing damage. Combined with auto haste her ATB rate was really fast, even after the haste wears off.My preferred endgame party for the post-Pulse section was Lightning, Fang, and Hope. Hope had Hresvelgr (upgraded from Vidofnir) which has the effect of making his buffs last longer. For Fang, Calamity Spear (upgraded from Pandoran Spear) which has the same effect as Hresvelgr but for DEbuffs instead. I loves me some buff/debuff strategies.  Final Fantasy XIII is one I really enjoyed, this coming from someone who has played all of the main games at least once. FFXIII is definitely in my top 5. "
Nice pi! Will deff look out for these weapons while i'm playing and get them upgraded. Gives me something to work toward. Who doesnt like buffs/debuffs??? Except Jeff playing Persona 4.... What is your top 5 of FF just out of curiosity?
 
@Hamz said:
" I'm sending the game back, unfinished, to my rental service tomorrow because after investing 30 hours I hit a brick wall with it once I reached Chapter 11. This is in large part because the game changed from a linear but really well paced & focused title to a slightly more open environment that forces you to grind like in an MMO. At this point you have to spend a solid 7-10 hours grinding crystal points to have any hope of further progress in the game. It just lost all sense of direction and momentum. Just figured you should be made aware of this. "

I've heard people say that about this game which worries me. I hated XII because it reminded me of an MMO but offline which I really really didn't like. It seems to be a love or hate part for people, I just hope that I like it.
#13 Posted by gla55jAw (2686 posts) -
@Hamz said:
" I'm sending the game back, unfinished, to my rental service tomorrow because after investing 30 hours I hit a brick wall with it once I reached Chapter 11. This is in large part because the game changed from a linear but really well paced & focused title to a slightly more open environment that forces you to grind like in an MMO. At this point you have to spend a solid 7-10 hours grinding crystal points to have any hope of further progress in the game. It just lost all sense of direction and momentum. Just figured you should be made aware of this. "
I could see that happening. Although what I did was spend a little extra time leveling in areas where I could tell I was getting more experience than normal. So by the time I got up to Pulse, I didn't run into that problem.
#14 Posted by lokilaufey (244 posts) -
@pedro: Yeah, as long as you give Chapter 11 a chance it's cool. My bf hated that part but liked Chapter 1-10 enough to muster up the patience to finish 11, and then was cool about the rest of the game. 
 
As far as my top 5, my absolute favorite Final Fantasy game is Final Fantasy VI...it'd be something like... 
1. Final Fantasy VI 
2. Final Fantasy XII (I'm weird, I know) 
3. Final Fantasy VII 
4. Final Fantasy IV 
5. Final Fantasy XIII 
and because I can... 6. Final Fantasy IX
#15 Posted by Pedro (80 posts) -
@chickenpotpi said:
" @pedro: Yeah, as long as you give Chapter 11 a chance it's cool. My bf hated that part but liked Chapter 1-10 enough to muster up the patience to finish 11, and then was cool about the rest of the game.  As far as my top 5, my absolute favorite Final Fantasy game is Final Fantasy VI...it'd be something like... 1. Final Fantasy VI 2. Final Fantasy XII (I'm weird, I know) 3. Final Fantasy VII 4. Final Fantasy IV 5. Final Fantasy XIII and because I can... 6. Final Fantasy IX "
I personally try to pretend FF XII never happened.... but im glad there is some love out there for it! :)
#16 Posted by AuthenticM (3699 posts) -

I'm going to play it again tonight. My mom is bringing it to me. I can't wait!

#17 Posted by lokilaufey (244 posts) -
@pedro: As much as I love it, I can't blame you. The sudden change in style of gameplay and a lot of the story in FFXII made it a pretty niche title for fans haha. That and the abominable main character Vaan's personality doesn't help endear people to it either haha.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.