Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 09, 2010

This entry into the Final Fantasy universe is set in the worlds of Pulse and Cocoon. Players take control of multiple characters who are caught in a war between these worlds.

FFXIII Official PlayStation Magazine UK Review (Scans)

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks

Here's a sample, the links are below:                            (hold Ctrl and press + or  - to enlarge or decrease viewing size)

Official PlayStation Magazine UK Review (4) 

Final Fantasy XIII 8 Page Feature (6)

http://i47.tinypic.com/4kts0w.jpg   -X image only X

http://i49.tinypic.com/28tfbc6.jpg  X image only X

If you're having trouble reading them, simply cut and paste the links into another window to see them at full size: 

Official PlayStation Magazine UK Review 

http://i46.tinypic.com/qoimis.jpg

http://i48.tinypic.com/f3ubk4.jpg

http://i48.tinypic.com/30cx5ap.jpg

http://i47.tinypic.com/2ecofoo.jpg

Final Fantasy XIII Feature 

http://i47.tinypic.com/2emde1h.jpg

http://i46.tinypic.com/ina0xh.jpg

http://i50.tinypic.com/nwzyi8.jpg

http://i45.tinypic.com/2n24sxg.jpg

http://i49.tinypic.com/ajt4b4.jpg

http://i49.tinypic.com/v3f7zs.jpg
    WitchHunter_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By WitchHunter_Z

Thanks, I've been waiting for a review of the English version for a while, off to read.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Linkyshinks

Added some inactive links for easy cutting.  

Enjoy, it's a good read.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By PureRok

This right here decided for me that I will not be buying, or playing FFXIII ever (unless I receive it as a gift):

Combat is fast and unrelenting...
    ... demanding more concentration and fast-twitch muscle fibres (sic) than any other Final Fantasy, an unseen but constantly counting-down timer forcing you to flick between formations...

I absolutely hate this kind of RPG. Probably one reason I didn't like FFXII's combat at all.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @PureRok:  

That concerns me too. No matter how it ends up fairing in the West overall, I'll still be buying it to experience what FF in this gen has to offer, 
    wwfundertaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 25

#6  Edited By wwfundertaker

Cant wait.

Yoshiya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Yoshiya

They really know their stuff, I never realised FFX-2 was the series' first appearence on PS2 [see page 2, and yes, sarcasm].  I'm still really looking forward to this, despite some design decisions (emphasis on combat speed rather than strategy) I don't necessarily agree with.

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By luce

The story is what I'm interested to see and from what I saw in the trailers...it looks pretty bad

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @luce said:
    "The story is what I'm interested in and from what I saw in the trailers...it looks pretty bad "

Yeah..  although I'll likely buy this based on the fact it's Final Fantasy, I haven't exactly been impressed with what we've seen. 
    Seems to be very story/character based, which wouldn't be a bad thing if it didn't look so awful.  Especially when we've just had games like Dragon Age, And ME2 shortly.
    ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By ZenaxPure

So fast paced combat that requires quick thinking and always being on your toes, similar to what FFX-2 offered? This sounds too good to be true for me, I really liked the pacing of X-2 battles and while I equally loved the slow and thought out ways FFXII went I will be happy to return to super fast combat.

WitchHunter_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By WitchHunter_Z
    @PureRok: I feel the same way about the combat in XII; it was awful. This looks like a different system but a step in the wrong direction, I don't like active turn battle systems, I prefer my enemies to wait for me to think and select the correct action rather than rushing to just get something done before they attack.

That said; since FF VIII I swore off buying Final Fantasies, but I ended up buying X and XII anyway. I'm going to wait to see more footage of the battle system before I make my decision, all the footage I've seen so far has been in Japanese so it's been very difficult to follow what's happening.
    zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By zyn

Great stuff!  Thanks.

Shinri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Shinri

They mixed up the box art for VII and IX on the second page, lol.
    Patchinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Patchinko

I'll try to post my own review in the coming days as I finish the game up, but just my take on the battle system...

The battles are intense because the ATB is unrelenting and the Optima Change is basically an instant party job class swap. It makes sense when you're playing because of how valuable Chain Breaks are. I do not consider this a bad thing--in fact, I find the battles system to be one of the strong points of FFXIII.  

If you like turn-based or the ability to pause the ATB (ala Dragon Age), it may not be the game for you. You can slow the ATB down in the config, though I haven't because I actually enjoy the fast decision making involved in the combat.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By natetodamax

w00t

Magresda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Magresda

I thought this was a very accurate review. He could have touched a little more on the story and characters themselves, but I agree with pretty much everything in that review.  

To those worried about the combat system; it sounds sounds suspicious in theory, but this is one of those things you just have to try for yourself. The flow and pacing of the combat is so expertly handled that it's a joy to play every single battle.  

I also thought the story was told in a very good way, with the pacing and bit-by-bit revelations really sucking you in. As someone far from fluent in Japanese, however, I missed out on a lot of story elements, so I'll be waiting for the English version before judging the story itself (but the structure I can comment on). 

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ryanwho

I like their condescending pie charts. Those are the best kind of pie charts.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By KaosAngel

Meh, this is far from my favorite one.    

Beat it in about 40 hours, and almost nearing the final few trophies.  Final boss is a joke, and once you find out how to get Lucky Breaker the battle system is a joke.  You can't lose, like seriously...once you break the battle system it's a joke.  It's easy to break it too once you beat the boss in Chapter 11 and get Vanila's Limit Break (Death)...so go back to Grand Pulse and nuke all the giant turtles with Death.  Get the CPx2 accessory, and the Best Choice/Good Choice accessories and watch your loot go up. 

Also once you realize Jammers/Enchanters are the most powerful jobs, you can't lose major battles...and can beat them well under the time limits.  I beat some of the hardest missions in less than a minute with this, as do most Japanese gamers and the people who imported on other forums. 

It's not a bad game, and the story is crap until Agito/Versus ties in...and it's already shown in FF13 that they are totally connected.  Can't spoil.  v.v 

No way is this an "A" grade, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Persona 4, White Knight, and a couple others are far better RPGs in the time between FF12 and FF13.  

Krelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Krelle

While I dont agree that the story is "crap", I dont really think its that good either. And the relations the characters create between each other are pretty cool and done better than in most oher JRPS. 

KaosAngel: How is it obvious that it binds together with AGito/Versus? I didnt notice anything in particular tbh.. But then again, I know almost nothing about those two games so might just be my lack of knowledge. 

Also I woudnt recommend White Knight Story. That game is not bad either, but I wouldnt say its better than FF13. 

Anyway, ff13, solid 7-8/10. Alot of dissapointment, some cool stuff. Roll on something else.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @Krelle said:

" While I dont agree that the story is "crap", I dont really think its that good either. And the relations the characters create between each other are pretty cool and done better than in most oher JRPS.  KaosAngel: How is it obvious that it binds together with AGito/Versus? I didnt notice anything in particular tbh.. But then again, I know almost nothing about those two games so might just be my lack of knowledge.  Also I woudnt recommend White Knight Story. That game is not bad either, but I wouldnt say its better than FF13.  Anyway, ff13, solid 7-8/10. Alot of dissapointment, some cool stuff. Roll on something else. "

When replying directly to another member, click the reply button, that way they'ill receive a PM notification so they can get back to you.
    Krelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Krelle
    @Linkyshinks: Thanks for the advice Linky :) 

Btw, do look forward to FF13, Its a special experience. Just dont set your hopes too high. I excepted it to be a 10/10 (I expect all FFs to be by default, so maybe he jokes on me..) and it doesnt live up to that. One bit. 
    So what im saying is, try to erase any preconceptions your have about FF games, and maybe you can enjoy it more than I, and many with me, did.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.