Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 09, 2010

This entry into the Final Fantasy universe is set in the worlds of Pulse and Cocoon. Players take control of multiple characters who are caught in a war between these worlds.

Final boss help?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#1  Edited By Hailinel

So I fought the final boss today and haven't been able to beat him yet.  My party is Lighting/Fang/Hope.  The first couple of tries, I wiped maybe a third of the way into the fight.  The third time I fought him, I managed to whittle him down until he summoned a Doom counter on Lightning.  Great.  Time to panic and die as I flail about trying to make that asshole stagger.

This is not a short fight, and since I turned the game off, I'll need to fight through the boss before him again just to get to him.  Does anyone have some useful tips for how to take him down?

doe3879

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By doe3879

maybe I was lucky but I only died once though out the whole 3 part fight.  Damn that instant kill on the 2nd part.
    I use your exact party setup as well, expect with Fang being Leader. (Commando seem more suitable as leader, plus she can Tank to avoid some big hit)

The best way to build up the stagger meter with this setup is   SaboteurRavager / Ravager.  Just make sure everyone get Haste 1st and the fight should be extremely easy.
     Saboteur  slow down the meter just like commando and build it up as fast as Ravager.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By ZenaxPure

Not to sound like a dick Hal <3 but his fight is fairly short. I beat him in either 3 or 4 staggers, never got the doom counter and none of my characters were maxed on any crystarium, I'm sure you can do the same. 

You probably can't have a strategy near mine unless you grinded some but here is what I did anyway: 

• Lightning/Snow/Hope
    • My primary means of healing on this fight and what I switched too after every Merciless Judgement attack was Med/Sen/Med
    • Started fight as Sab/Sen/Syn, buff up and get debuffs on him, specifically you want deprotect on him (though not yet).
    • Be absolutely positive you get Veil on the entire party, do not make Hope a different class until you get this buff up
    • Switched to Rav/Rav/Rav and built the chain up to near full (in roughly 1.5 rounds of attacks) then switched back to my setup class to apply deprotect, this is safer than applying it at the start because he has a long stagger meter and chances are it will drop otherwise.
    • Finish off the stagger, depending on what attacks he was currently doing determined what I did from here. If he was still spamming the black laser beams I used Com/Sen/Rav, if the damage income was not that high I went with Com/Com/Rav. Going with Com/Com/Rav was excellent since with deprotect I could drain about 30% of his HP away each stagger, there was also the chance I would get 2 smite/scourges (someday I will remember which is which) and do 99,999 3 or 4 times before he was unstaggered.
    • I then repeated this 2 or 3 more times (honestly can't remember anymore, but it wasn't long)  until he was dead. Remember you can use your summon as an Oh shit button if things go south, I had to near the end when buffs were starting to drop and I was debuffed to the extreme.

It's hard to give an solid tips since party makeup and how much you have grinded determines a lot but this is just what I did to win. Got it on my 4th try and even managed to get 2 or 3 stars despite my team being insanely underleveled.
    gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#4  Edited By gla55jAw

1) Start it by having a Syn cast haste (Com/Syn/Sen) or (Med/Syn/Sen)
    2) Then change to Mystic tower (Sen/Rav/Rav) or Tri Disaster (Rav/Rav/Rav) or  (Com/Rav/Rav)
    3) If you have to heal switch to Med/Com/Rav or if you're in real trouble Combat Clinic (Sen/Med/Med)
    4) After staggering switch to  Com/Rav/Com and you should be fine. If you need to heal switch to 3)

I beat him on my first try. The 2 previous fights were harder. Good Luck!

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Hailinel
    @Zenaxzd:   I may very well be underleveled.  I've been focusing the Crystarium development on the characters' primary tracks, so for example, right now, Lightning has progressed as far as she can on the Commando and Ravager tracks and is partway through the last accessible level of the Medic track.  I've been ignoring the other tracks for the most part, so it might be a good idea for me to spend a little time building those up so I stand a better chance.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By xyzygy

I understand where you're coming from with this fight. Other people told me that they thought it was pretty easy but I couldn't for the life of me kill the second boss. I had to resort to somewhat cheap tactics, a party of Vanille/Light/Hope and set only a few paradigms based around Sab, Med and sometimes Sen. I just got Vanille to poison it and it was dead after 4-5 poisons.

ricetopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By ricetopher

My setup: Light/Vanille/Sahz

Strategy:

Start with a paradigm with SYN for Haste (Hope should be able to learn it),  a SAB (in your case Fang), and Lightning as either a COM or if you've put points in either SAB or SYN. Once Haste (at minimum) is up on everyone, begin the offensive. In terms of paradigms, a MED/MED/SEN paradigm (which you can do with L/F/H) will help for quick healing and damage reduction is helpful, as well as either a RAV/COM/RAV or RAV x3 (depends on if Fang can be a RAV yet) for stagger building, and a COM/COM/RAV for damage dealing once the stagger % is near 999. Also helpful paradigms are RAV/COM/MED for a mix of offense and healing, and RAV/COM/SYN for buffing while remaining offensive. 

5 stars with only main 3 roles on each character maxed but no upgrading done whatsoever.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @Hailinel: I wouldn't call that underleveled. Just depends I guess. I didn't have a single character maxed in any role at all and I found the fight fairly easy. The only reason I died the first few times was because of bad luck. Mostly veil dropping and the AI wouldn't rebuff it fast enough so I would get assaulted by status effects, and I believe on one occasion Lightning got insta-killed.  

Your problem seems like a damage one since you are reaching a doom timer apparently (I didn't even realize that boss had one) which is why I can't stress deprotect use enough and preferably 2 commandos during stagger if you can manage the damage. Also like xzyzgy points out you can poison him, which I totally forgot about (not that any of my party had it anyway though). Just try to reach stagger as fast as you can. I was constantly shifting to 3 ravagers to build it up whenever there was a lull of incoming damage.
    n00bosaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By n00bosaurusRex

From my experience, I noticed that the more commandos I had attacking Orphan when he wasn't staggered, the more times he used that damned ability that reset his stagger bar.  I think it was Temporal Hollow or something.  Anyways, once I started using tri-disaster the battle went a lot better for me

RandomHero666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By RandomHero666

Start with Combat clinic, he will use Merciless Judgement straight off. 
    Switch to Sen/Syn/Sab to buff/debuff 
    Alternate between Combat Clinic, delta attack & Relentless assault, 
    First time i tried it i failed.. went back to grind the Titan trials.. came back a few hours later and owned all 3 bosses. 
     EDIT: A weapon with random instant stagger would help
    Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Hunkulese

Sentinel is useless for the last couple fights because everything is aoe damage or negligible. I was shocked at how easy the last fight was and 5 starred it easily my first attempt. I use Light/Fang/Hope with Light as a Ravager with a second tier axis blade. I started the fight Rav/Sab/Syn and just kept spamming Army of One until she was staggered then switched to Rav/Com/Med to heal up before switching to Rav/Com/Rav to finish her off. I think my final time was 1:30 but it could be done much faster I think if you were paying attention to when you should switch.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @Hunkulese said:
    " Sentinel is useless for the last couple fights because everything is aoe damage or negligible."
    Actually Sen's reduce AOE damage to allies when they are the target of the attack, they can be quite useful on the final boss.
    bibledoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By bibledoctor

I had trouble too and I found it was because I was not doing enough damage and I didn't have enough health to outlast the DPS. I recommend grinding out some experience for a couple of hours and it'll be cake.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Hailinel
    @xyzygy said:
    " I understand where you're coming from with this fight. Other people told me that they thought it was pretty easy but I couldn't for the life of me kill the second boss. I had to resort to somewhat cheap tactics, a party of Vanille/Light/Hope and set only a few paradigms based around Sab, Med and sometimes Sen. I just got Vanille to poison it and it was dead after 4-5 poisons. "
    I ended up taking on that form of Orphan using a similar strategy.  I switched my party to Vanille/Fang/Hope and pretty much poisoned him to death and summoned Hecatoncheir when things got dire.  I had to rearrange my party again for the true final battle with Orphan since my party and Paradigm set-up weren't really meant for that fight, but I switching Vanille out with Lightning and took Orphan down in one stagger.  Even got the Superstar trophy!

Thanks to all who provided advice.  I see from the comments that a number of diverse strategies were employed in that fight, and it's good to see that it didn't boil down to the same thing for everyone.
    ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @Hailinel said:
    " and it's good to see that it didn't boil down to the same thing for everyone. "
    Yes it's funny. I just finished my 360 copy of the game and my strategy was 100% different for the second form of orphan this time. Simply got deprotect up, then got haste/bravery/faith on all my party members and staggered him where Lightning and Snow proceeded to hit for 99,999 each attack and Hope finished raising the meter to 999%. Ended up killing the second form at the start of the second stagger. My god was it hilariously easy compared to the first time I fought him, no poison, no debuffs other than deprotect, and almost no healing. Guy was slaughtered.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.