Final Fantasy 13 afterthoughts...

Posted by TepiDDeatH (68 posts) -

I need something to play in bed that doesn't require button mashing, cause I've got a hottie sleeping next to me. So after Fallout 3 DLC screwed me over, and FF8 hates me, I decided to take another run at Final Fantasy 13. I know, I know...I can still feel the hatred inside of me for Square-Enix for destroying my favorite franchise of all time. But after all this time, I find my mind and heart a little more open. First of all, for all qualms about the game, it still, LOOKS amazing. There's quite a few cut-scenes that instill awe in the graphics whore in me still.
 Gone is the anger per second I felt when it first came out. I'm not thinking about how linear it is, I'm not disecting the characters in my brain while I play, all the negitive baggage I had on my first playthrough has simmered down quite a bit. And you know what? I'm having fun. As a game, it's above average, with some FF refrences thrown in. And when I look at it that way, it's pretty ok .
  I played 11 hours yesterday. And enjoyed it. Throw it back in. It's okay now. :)
  When it opens up, I'm still gonna grind the crap out of it though.

#1 Posted by TepiDDeatH (68 posts) -

I need something to play in bed that doesn't require button mashing, cause I've got a hottie sleeping next to me. So after Fallout 3 DLC screwed me over, and FF8 hates me, I decided to take another run at Final Fantasy 13. I know, I know...I can still feel the hatred inside of me for Square-Enix for destroying my favorite franchise of all time. But after all this time, I find my mind and heart a little more open. First of all, for all qualms about the game, it still, LOOKS amazing. There's quite a few cut-scenes that instill awe in the graphics whore in me still.
 Gone is the anger per second I felt when it first came out. I'm not thinking about how linear it is, I'm not disecting the characters in my brain while I play, all the negitive baggage I had on my first playthrough has simmered down quite a bit. And you know what? I'm having fun. As a game, it's above average, with some FF refrences thrown in. And when I look at it that way, it's pretty ok .
  I played 11 hours yesterday. And enjoyed it. Throw it back in. It's okay now. :)
  When it opens up, I'm still gonna grind the crap out of it though.

#2 Posted by Marcsman (2904 posts) -

I still say it sucks and it took over 40 hours of my life that I will never get back.
#3 Posted by Grissefar (2843 posts) -

I like that game too. It could have used a little more choice, control and difficulty, but it's still a great game.

#4 Posted by TooWalrus (12991 posts) -

I've seen dozens of these threads pop up, about people's thoughts on Final Fantasy XIII, but very few of them are about what they think about the game after they've finished it. I'm starting to think I'm the only one on the planet who liked the game enough to play the whole thing.

#5 Posted by TepiDDeatH (68 posts) -

Well, I gave up after 30 hours the first time. This time I'm taking a very light hearted approach. And having way more fun with it.

#6 Posted by nick_verissimo (1373 posts) -

To be honest, I wouldn't have stopped playing this game had it not been for Hope.  He's probably the most annoying character I've experienced in any video game since, quite possibly, Navi.  Lately though, all I'm really playing is JRPG's and I'm stuck between starting up FF 12 or 13 again.  I really liked 12, so I might start there first, but there is something about 13 that almost seems sort of important and that I should continue on with that game.

#7 Posted by Mesoian (1570 posts) -

The issue with the game is that the story is incredibly weak, so if that's the reason why you're in the game, as is the reason for playing most RPG's, you get annoyed at at all the plotholes and weak characters and lack of explanations and such.

But the game mechanics are okay, if not a bit too easy. And it really is the best looking video game money can buy right now. I still think it looks better than crysis 2 on full settings. And if you don't care about the story that much or you recognize that it's weak, then you're prepared for it and the ride is more enjoyable.

But I was in it for the story, and due to that, that game was garbage.

#8 Posted by TooWalrus (12991 posts) -
@Mesoian said:
" The issue with the game is that the story is incredibly weak, so if that's the reason why you're in the game, as is the reason for playing most RPG's, you get annoyed at at all the plotholes and weak characters and lack of explanations and such. But the game mechanics are okay, if not a bit too easy. And it really is the best looking video game money can buy right now. I still think it looks better than crysis 2 on full settings. And if you don't care about the story that much or you recognize that it's weak, then you're prepared for it and the ride is more enjoyable. But I was in it for the story, and due to that, that game was garbage. "
I know I'm alone in this, but I kinda liked the story. Maybe it's just because I think that 1984 type story is rad- where Pulse and Cocoon are constantly at war, yet they know nothing about each other except for the propaganda handed down by the leaders. I also dig that psudo-religious  fal'Cie,  l'Cie, Maker thing they had going on. 

Hope and Vanille were pretty terrible (for most of it, anyway, they get tolerable in the 3rd disc- or maybe I just became more tolerant.) but I liked the rest of the characters- Ending was cool, when the two planets are practically crashing into each other... I'm actually looking forward to XIII-2, I liked that game much more than I thought I would
#9 Posted by awesomeusername (4062 posts) -
@nick_verissimo said:
" To be honest, I wouldn't have stopped playing this game had it not been for Hope. 
1) Hope is a pussy.
2) Who the fuck names their son Hope?
3) He somewhat now reminds me of Justin Bieber.
4)He's a pussy.
#10 Edited by Marokai (2640 posts) -
@TooWalrus said:

" @Mesoian said:

" The issue with the game is that the story is incredibly weak, so if that's the reason why you're in the game, as is the reason for playing most RPG's, you get annoyed at at all the plotholes and weak characters and lack of explanations and such. But the game mechanics are okay, if not a bit too easy. And it really is the best looking video game money can buy right now. I still think it looks better than crysis 2 on full settings. And if you don't care about the story that much or you recognize that it's weak, then you're prepared for it and the ride is more enjoyable. But I was in it for the story, and due to that, that game was garbage. "

I know I'm alone in this, but I kinda liked the story. Maybe it's just because I think that 1984 type story is rad- where Pulse and Cocoon are constantly at war, yet they know nothing about each other except for the propaganda handed down by the leaders. I also dig that psudo-religious  fal'Cie,  l'Cie, Maker thing they had going on. "
This is really one of my biggest problems with the game. That's a fantastic idea on paper and I love the framework of the overall story! Purely on a level of looking at a sheet of paper with all this brainstormed on it, it sounds like a really mature and dark tale of societies who hate without understanding, of an inevitable depressing destiny for all those branded l'Cie, and so on. The problem is they do such a poor job of explaining that story and give you virtually no opportunity whatsoever to explore that world, to understand that world, or to give a damn about that world. The villains of the game (if you can even call them that) seem to lack motivation and have little to no facetime. It's kind of ironic that, at it's core, the story basically boiled down to the characters thinking "we're doing this because we have to" since that's how I felt at the end of that game as well.

And I also, frankly, don't think the game looks that amazing. It's exceptional looking but we're not talking leagues above stuff we've already seen, here. I also think the combat is atrocious and the EXTREMELY linear progression of that game with basically no exploration of areas of civilization is incredibly damning. The story was completely mishandled and the entire game felt like it was on autopilot.

It was an on-rails RPG in almost every respect. Combat? Every enemy has the exact same strategy for defeat. Attacks? The game almost always chooses the appropriate attack for you. Party members? For half the game you get to use what the game decides to let you use. Crystarium system? Almost all upgrades are on a straight path, what sort of customization is that! I really felt like I had almost no say in anything in that game and it was a real bummer. Hell, the game caps your experience based on your progression in the story for most of the game! What sort of bullshit is that? I don't need to be carefully nannied through an entire game the way that game did to me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.