Final Fantasy XIII International Edition

#1 Edited by luce (4045 posts) -

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/09/08/ffxiii_360_release/

"

Final Fantasy XIII is a multiplatform title. Everywhere except Japan, that is, where the game's development staff insisted in past interviews that a domestic 360 release was out of the question.

It looks like Square Enix has done some rethinking. This week's Dengeki PlayStation appears to have confirmation of a 360 release. The magazine does not hit until later this week, but details, along with some convincing images, have leaked out in advance.

According to the leaks, the 360 release is set for December 16 -- just about the one year anniversary of the PS3 version's December 17, 2009 release. Xbox 360 owners will get English voice acting and a new easy mode. As a first print run bonus, Square Enix is readying a booklet with a visual art collection, a collection of unseen event scenes, and a novel (presumably the Episode Zero Promise prologue).

The magazine does not list a price. Nor does it say if Japanese voices will be included as well. It's not uncommon for Square Enix to release "international" versions of their games featuring English voice acting in place of the original Japanese voices, although the platform usually stays the same for these.

So why is this news appearing in a PlayStation exclusive magazine? It's not uncommon for Dengeki PS to print news bits about other platforms, especially when it concerns traditionally PlayStation series. This Final Fantasy XIII news appears to be just a small blurb in the magazine's news section.

Microsoft is scheduled to have one of its seasonal press conferences later this week. Assuming the leaked images are accurate (and they do look pretty legit) this will likely be the event's big announcement." 

TLDR:  It's basically a Japanese release of FFXIII for the Xbox360 with a few added trinkets (equivalent to pre-order bonuses) and an "Easy mode"

However, there hasn't been official info coming from square so there could be more to this FFXIII international edition thing

#2 Posted by BunkerBuster (1042 posts) -

Hmmm, I guess Square-Enix enjoys having money. Good for them.

#3 Posted by xyzygy (10028 posts) -

They're probably going to improve the video codecs as well to make the CG parts look like the PS3 version. That wasn't anything to do with the 360 limitations, it was bad compression techniques.

#4 Posted by teh_pwnzorer (1482 posts) -
@xyzygy said:
" They're probably going to improve the video codecs as well to make the CG parts look like the PS3 version. That wasn't anything to do with the 360 limitations, it was bad compression techniques. "
FF13 is 37.6GB on PS3.  You'd need 5 dual layer dvds to fit that.
#5 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4976 posts) -

Easy mode...in FF XIII... ahahahahahhaha

Oh wait, they were being serious! Let me laugh harder! AHAHAHAHAHAHA

#6 Edited by xyzygy (10028 posts) -
@teh_pwnzorer said:

" @xyzygy said:

" They're probably going to improve the video codecs as well to make the CG parts look like the PS3 version. That wasn't anything to do with the 360 limitations, it was bad compression techniques. "
FF13 is 37.6GB on PS3.  You'd need 5 dual layer dvds to fit that. "
It doesn't need to be compressed the same way as the PS3 versions, but compressed to make it look like the PS3 version. There is definitely more than one way to compress video, you know. They just made them that big on the PS3 because they could. Why let all that extra space go to waste? 
#7 Posted by teh_pwnzorer (1482 posts) -
@xyzygy said:
" @teh_pwnzorer said:
" @xyzygy said:
It doesn't need to be compressed the same way as the PS3 versions, but compressed to make it look like the PS3 version. There is definitely more than one way to compress video, you know. They just made them that big on the PS3 because they could. Why let all that extra space go to waste?  "  
 Yes, there is more than one way to compress video.  One way is at high bitrate.  That's what's on the PS3 version.  The low bitrate piece of crap is on the Xbox version.
#8 Posted by WalkerTR77 (1380 posts) -

I think having an easy mode in an rpg is a really good idea. Every game should have an easy mode, people will hate a game that doesn't cater to their skill level, and in an rpg with only one difficulty setting, you don't want to get 20 hours in and find that it's getting too hard with no option to make things easier.

#9 Edited by xyzygy (10028 posts) -
@teh_pwnzorer said:

" @xyzygy said:

" @teh_pwnzorer said:
" @xyzygy said:
It doesn't need to be compressed the same way as the PS3 versions, but compressed to make it look like the PS3 version. There is definitely more than one way to compress video, you know. They just made them that big on the PS3 because they could. Why let all that extra space go to waste?  "  
 Yes, there is more than one way to compress video.  One way is at high bitrate.  That's what's on the PS3 version.  The low bitrate piece of crap is on the Xbox version. "
That comment just brought the whole debate right back to the beginning, to which I say, they will use different coding techniques to get it more like the PS3 version and get rid of the fragmentation of the videos. It was lazy video compression, that's all.

Nevermind though.
#10 Posted by Rhombus_Of_Terror (2130 posts) -

So KaosAngel totally called it. I might get it now.

#11 Posted by teh_pwnzorer (1482 posts) -
@xyzygy said:
" @teh_pwnzorer said:

" @xyzygy said:

" @teh_pwnzorer said:
" @xyzygy said:
 Yes, there is more than one way to compress video.  One way is at high bitrate.  That's what's on the PS3 version.  The low bitrate piece of crap is on the Xbox version. "
That comment just brought the whole debate right back to the beginning, to which I say, they will use different coding techniques to get it more like the PS3 version and get rid of the fragmentation of the videos. It was lazy video compression, that's all. Nevermind though. "
I don't know what codec they used but if you can improve the codec on the xbox version you can further improve the quality of the ps3 version, thereby making the ps3 version superior, once more.
#12 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

The game doesn't need an easy mode, just use the right tactic and grind like no tommorrow.

#13 Posted by KingBroly (1645 posts) -

So...they're bringing out the english version, with easy mode, and english VA, out in Japan for a year old game to a console that has zero presence there.

WHY?

#14 Posted by EVHKwick (452 posts) -

I like how times have changed. We get the easy version of FFIV and Mystic Quest, and now Japan gets an easy mode of a game they developed.

#15 Posted by xyzygy (10028 posts) -
@teh_pwnzorer: You're missing the whole point. It's not about which version is superior. It's about having no fragments in the CG videos of the 360 version. I don't understand where any fanboyism comes into play here.

Also, this International Edition is slated only for the 360 is it not? So who's saying that the PS3 version will be more superior when they're not even updating it?
#16 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -
KaosAngel was right!  There will be an International Version!
#17 Posted by 617_jbug (345 posts) -

Famitsu confirms the 360 version and the price is  4980yen (I believe the PS3 version was 9000yen)

#18 Posted by 617_jbug (345 posts) -

they made the formal announcement at Microsoft Pre-TGS Media Briefing. Will include a novel called "Corridor of Memory". Post game quest called Final Fantasy 13 Episode 1 (not sure if it is a novel) and they are adding scenes they cut from the game.

#19 Posted by Jadeskye (4367 posts) -

I wonder if they'll continue the long running tradition of updating their FF games then never releasing them outside of japan.

#20 Edited by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

I called it.  I called it last year. 

Surprised it's just for 360, but I bet it would come out on PS3 too. 

I called it. 

EDIT:  If it will live up to Kingdom Hearts II FInal Mix+ or Final Fantasy XII International Zodiac Job System will be left up in the air.

#21 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2779 posts) -

Easy mode eh? Does that mean it comes with a partitioned USB stick with Modio pre-installed? :p
#22 Posted by xyzygy (10028 posts) -

I know a fair share of gamers who have played this that just give up because they got stuck at a certain boss. Barthandelus, mostly. Personally I don't know how anyone could get stuck in this game but I know at least 2 people who did, and thus didn't end up finishing the game. Which is very weird because the two I'm thinking of are otherwise very good gamers. Maybe they didn't fight all the enemies they came across or something.

#23 Edited by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@LunarAura: FF13 was not hard.  I beat that game in 2 weeks, and got almost all the trophies.  If you have your Jobs setup, it's easy as hell.   

I'm more interested in the changes, and very surprised it's not for PS3 (or at least not announced).  Then again, the entire 2channel site is filled with pissed of gamers yelled at Square.   

What I want: 

• More Bosses
  • Extended Story
  • More Jobs and/or Spells
  • New Items and Equips
  • Extended Hunts
  • English Subs, JP Voice
  • New Trophy List

I hope to god it's as good as KH2 FM+, Dissidia Universal Tuning, and FF12 International, please Square...prove you still have talent to make the most kick-ass re-releases.
#24 Posted by xyzygy (10028 posts) -

If this only comes out in Japan, is it possible to get a 360 version to work over here? or no? 

I really want to play that post game episode. 

And yeah, KaosAngel is right it's not a hard game. I got all the achievements in one playthrough and really only died once during the last Yaag Bosch fight and twice during Orphan. I died a lot in the post game but that's not surprising, post game is all about experimenting with different items and paradigms and classes.

#25 Edited by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@xyzygy: Unless you got a modded 360 no.  If it comes out for PS3 (which is more than likely it will), you are set with the 360 version. 

For the first time in FF history, the PS3 International will be the FIRST time NA will be able to play the complete version of a Square game.  Holy shit.
#26 Posted by luce (4045 posts) -
@xyzygy said:
"   I really want to play that post game episode.  "
You mean "Episode Zero"? According to the article, it's just a novel that they're including with the game for the first few prints.
#27 Edited by xyzygy (10028 posts) -
@KaosAngel: Let's hope there is a PS3 version then. Something tells me this is a MS/Square deal, but hopefully not. 

@luce: Oh that's the novel! Meh, I guess I can pass on this then. 
#28 Posted by groin (848 posts) -

I played through this game on PS3 but I will definitely pick up this version if it comes on the 360.

#29 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@luce: I say wait until TGS to find out the details.  There is no chance is hell that FF13 International will be bareboned. 

The last few International releases from Square were the highest quality games they made. 

Kingdom Hearts II FinalMix+, Final Fantasy XIII International Zodiac Job System, Star Ocean 4 International, and Dissidia Universal Tuning. 

It'll have a lot of content, there is no chance in hell it will be sparse in extras.
#30 Edited by xyzygy (10028 posts) -

Wow, I was just reading through why they decided to bring the game to the 360 in Japan. Kitase credits it to the 360 Slim! 

Oh yeah, and some places are saying that Episode 1 is actually a quest and not a novel, but other sites are saying it's a book. Hmm.

#31 Posted by ImHungry (377 posts) -

i laughed when i realised the implications of them only having the easy mode on the 360 version of the game

#32 Edited by Viney212 (105 posts) -
@xyzygy said:

" Wow, I was just reading through why they decided to bring the game to the 360 in Japan. Kitase credits it to the 360 Slim!  Oh yeah, and some places are saying that Episode 1 is actually a quest and not a novel, but other sites are saying it's a book. Hmm. "

From the Joystiq article: 

Despite early reports of the release, no additional content will arrive with FFXIII -- it differs from the PlayStation 3 version in Japan in that it will feature content originally only in the US release. It will also add an easy mode and "Final Fantasy XIII - Episode 1" (a short story book).             
I believe the additional unreleased content the other sites must be referring to is the content that was added to the US release.  So it's only new additional content to Japan.  It seems to me like they're just porting the US Xbox version over to Japan and adding Japanese subtitles to the English voice-over. 

As far as I'm aware the only differences, according to Kotaku between the two original releases were: 

• Vibration: "However, how powerful the vibration is has been changed dramatically," writes the site. "You seldom feel it during gameplay and when you do, it's so weak it's barely worth having."

• Save Points: "In the Japanese release, when you exit the save menu, you could hold down the analogue stick while the screen quickly switched back to gameplay and you'd immediately start running," explains Final Fantasy-XIII.net. "Now if you do that you'll stay motionless." According to the site, players need to release the analogue stick and try once again.

• Shroud Menu: This was called the "Smoke Menu" in the Japanese version and allowed players to run around with this menu open and use it when players saw fit. "Now when you press L1 to open the shroud menu you can't move," adds the site. "This means you have to make sure you're the perfect distance from your target to use an aerosol or the time limit will run out and you'll end up wasting it."

Also, the ending theme song I suppose.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.