Final Fantasy XIII Site Lives

• 72 results
#51 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -
Kamasama said:
"Meteora said:
"Also I believe that technically every console game is a port; because they are first developed on the computers first. Technically there shouldn't be much problem when it comes to porting to the consoles aside from technical and graphical differences, though there are some ports that seem to be worse off than others for some reason. Guess its not as simple as it sounds."
They may be written using a computer, but that has nothing to do with how it's coded. If they are using the native APIs and programming for that specific hardware platform, then that is not porting.
Alright, thanks for the clarification.

Jayzilla said:
"Seeing as it is easier to develop for the 360, I will get that version. For some reason (I'm no expert) games seem more polished and run more smoothly on the 360 than the PS3 imo. The load times are always less too. Maybe I will wait though and see which one actually plays better or if there is, if any, bonus content for the PS3 version. if there is bonus content on one or the other, I will go with that version no matter how it runs."

I'm not sure but a lot of reports from gaming sites tell me that as well. I think its got to do something with the hardware, being different or too new for the PS3. The two key words I keep on hearing is something about a processor cell or something and maybe Blu-ray discs; but I doubt the latter since all it does is have more storage space and has tight security codings. From a technical point of thing most of the reports show that the Xbox 360 always has better anti-aliasing and the PS3 has better textures. I prefer anti-alising over textures since I get really annoyed by sharp edges not blending into the game, but that's my opinion.

It will also boil down to how well Square ports over to the Xbox 360 and how they will optimize for it. There maybe a graphical downgrade, but we don't know how much. If it bugs you out that one version is better than the other then you might as well get a new console if you really wanted to play it that badly. Hopefully both versions will be just as good. Disc swapping isn't a problem for me. The argument that nobody wants more discs for retailers is pretty much invalid. It isn't nearly as big of a problem as it is stacking up those Guitar Hero and Rock Band kits which take up a shitload of room.
#52 Posted by Damotello (101 posts) -

PS3 version I think. Can't wait! I'm curious as to what Versus XIII will be like also.

#53 Posted by JJ (172 posts) -

I'm getting the Xbox360 version of FF XIII. If I could tally up the time I spent with my PS3. I believe the time I spent downloading their many updates would equal the time I spent playing Echochrome and MGS4.

I was the guy who bought a PS3 for FF XIII a week and a half before it was announced it was coming to Xbox360. Sony tricked me with their 80gb PS2 back-compat MGS4 bundle. I just sold the system for 500 bucks - 7 months later. (PS2 back-compat is important to some people)

I don't know what I'll do if Kingdom Hearts III doesn't jump ship too. Hopefully, even though they say PS3 only FF Versus XIII....I hope it jumps ship too.

#54 Posted by SeanIsStillAThreat (28 posts) -
#55 Posted by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -

never liked FF series, boring. 

#56 Posted by LiquidPrince (16175 posts) -
JJ said:
"I'm getting the Xbox360 version of FF XIII. If I could tally up the time I spent with my PS3. I believe the time I spent downloading their many updates would equal the time I spent playing Echochrome and MGS4.

I was the guy who bought a PS3 for FF XIII a week and a half before it was announced it was coming to Xbox360. Sony tricked me with their 80gb PS2 back-compat MGS4 bundle. I just sold the system for 500 bucks - 7 months later. (PS2 back-compat is important to some people)

I don't know what I'll do if Kingdom Hearts III doesn't jump ship too. Hopefully, even though they say PS3 only FF Versus XIII....I hope it jumps ship too."

Don't worry it won't. That was Square's way of appeasing it's PS3 fanbase. Versus will most likely remain exclusive. Anyways, I can't even think to play FFXIII using my 360's controller....

#57 Posted by TomServo (199 posts) -

with the extra development time and square's commitment to quality I think this game will accurately show the differences between the ps3 and the 360 because the ps3 will look much better while the 360 will take less time to develop.

#58 Posted by Keeng (1002 posts) -

Here's the situation: 

Due to this stupid contract (YES, it's a contract because if Square Enix was only porting the game to increase sales, they would've done a timed exclusive deal instead of delaying the entire product and effectively costing themselves more money) both versions of the game will launch at the same time in the west. However, Square Enix has said multiple times they won't begin working on the 360 version until the PS3 version is done, for quality assurance purposes. 

It has, in the past, taken them anywhere from 6 months (FFX) to 2 full years (FFXI) to finish localization on Final Fantasy games. So after we wait out that potentially 6-24 month localization process, we'll have to wait on them to port the game to 360 and THEN FFXIII will be out in the west. Considering that people are suspicious about the Japanese version even making a late 2009 release date, after at least two years of localization and porting on top of development time, we probably won't see FFXIII until Q4 2010 at the earliest. And that's being extremely optimistic. My guess, if Square Enix sticks to its guns about finishing one version before the other and a simultaneous western release, is we'll see the game in summer 2011. 
#59 Posted by Tehardcore (6 posts) -

"It builds hype. Definatly not useless"

Almost to much hype don't you think. Think about the MGS series. We waited what,  more than 5 years for an end to the story. Right before they announced an exact release date I was almost giving up. It's time for a new FF.

#60 Posted by musdy (323 posts) -

Can't wait for 2012!!

#61 Posted by elbow (368 posts) -

I want to point the finger at Microsoft for making me wait God knows how long for this game to come out, then again, I want to point the finger at Square Enix for the same reason, and finally, I want to point the finger at Sony for letting this happen. I have no qualms with this game coming out on the 360, but not at the fucking cost of making me wait just so that some fat cats in slick suits and angry fanboys are happy, while the rest of us whom have been waiting patiently have to endure even more.

Why, oh why can't Square Enix pull a Last Remnant here? Everyone knows it's coming out for the 360, people who don't have a PS3 will still be able to get it if they wait a bit more. Man this is such a total let down.

#62 Posted by ChestyMcGee (135 posts) -

I'll get excited when they announce a PS3/360 remake of FF7. They're up to number 6 on the DS right? RIGHT!? I hope so... I really want a game that I can actually get excited about.

#63 Posted by daniel_beck_90 (3159 posts) -

The game is great but not THAT great

#64 Posted by lightwarrior179 (383 posts) -

Despite being a fan of Square-Enix games (or of SquareSoft actually), except Dissidia no other confirmed title excites me in the 2009 lineup. 

FFXIII seems to be shaping up as a very promising game and it's battle system is seeming like an adequate mixture of action and strategy something which JRPGs need now.
As far as the versions are concerned,I think they are going to make a PS3 version first and then convert it into a 360 port through it's PC-based Crystal Tools engine. Either way I doubt SE would let a FF (main series) game go unpolished for either version so I am not too worried about the quality of either version.  I am getting it for 360 anyways.
#65 Posted by keyhunter (3207 posts) -

I'm only buying it purely to spite people who bought a PS3 for FF games.
Also to show square that they will fucking make more money if they release their games on multiple platforms, and that they made a good decision. Unlike a certain other developer who won't get rid of the 50 different localizations and just put it on 2 discs.

#66 Posted by Lozz (311 posts) -

I'm not sure which version, I have both systems and it really depends how each version turns out. 

#67 Edited by Gruff182 (875 posts) -

I'm doing 3D CGI at Uni and those images just scare me they look so damn good.

I think PS3 is deffo the version to go for, if you have the choice. It's the primary development platform so it wan't suffer from the usual port differences as well as non-compressed media.  MGS4 is still the console benchmark, so if it stands up to that PS3 is the easy choice.

However only time will tell.

#68 Posted by firefalcon_7 (1 posts) -

I'm going to get it for the 360, if you think about it everyone has been saying that they are delaying the development of the 360 version till the PS3 version is complete. this will give them time to smooth out the problems from development so it will be an easy port to the 360. i don't doubt that the PS3 version will be amazing as well. i think it is a win win no matter what consel you decide to play on.

#69 Posted by thefjk (142 posts) -

The character design for this game has matured... it's faaaar less cute than a lot of other JRPG's released today! Still Japanesey but mature... hopefully the rest of the game grows up too and will help push this fading genre that I love in an awesome new direction.

#70 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

Im sorry guys but Square-Enix has a bad track record on the 360. Yes I love my PS3 and I will sell my 360 before my PS3 if it comes to it. And it just upsets me how they don't focus some more attention Sony's way. I noticed that a lot of their games are coming on the 360 and the DS. And only one on the PSP. Seriously Square. Don't forget who made Final Fantasy VII popular.

#71 Posted by astrotriforce (1326 posts) -

I will definitely be picking up the Xbox 360 version because of the Achievement Points. I prefer them to the Trophy system at this time.

#72 Posted by Nettacki (1320 posts) -

I'm getting the PS3 version, multiplatform or not, because that's the only next-gen system I have, and I don't plan on getting anything else right now.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.