Finally no more Final Fantasy

• 69 results
Posted by Ultimadark (150 posts) -

I'm done with Final Fantasy 13, last night I got to the last boss, and after to tries when he one-shot my main character about 15 minutes into the fight, I decided that I'm done and I won't play this game anymore. I deleted my save files and moved on to GTA IV, The lost and damned, feels great to hear some good voice acting for a change.

#1 Posted by Ultimadark (150 posts) -

I'm done with Final Fantasy 13, last night I got to the last boss, and after to tries when he one-shot my main character about 15 minutes into the fight, I decided that I'm done and I won't play this game anymore. I deleted my save files and moved on to GTA IV, The lost and damned, feels great to hear some good voice acting for a change.

#2 Posted by ClownDetective (142 posts) -

Why did you delete your save files? you should have just asked for some help. So close...

#3 Posted by Ultimadark (150 posts) -
@ClownDetective: Yeah I know it was close, and I know I could have looked for help here on the forums or Gamefaqs or something, but I felt that if the game throws a boss with 1-hit KO's 15 minutes into the last fight, something which never occurs earlier in the game, then that game is not worth playing through to the end.  Did you finish it?
#4 Posted by JackSukeru (5910 posts) -

That's one way to ragequit I guess, hope you don't regret it. Also you could always watch the ending on youtune or something I guess. 

I haven't even bought it yet though.

#5 Posted by floodiastus (1262 posts) -

Im at the start of disc 2 and having a hard time liking this game, it is just so boring and all the careful tactics and planning are gone thanks to the real time system :/

#6 Posted by Shinri (534 posts) -

I lol'd at OP
#7 Posted by tomte (291 posts) -

that was fun :)
all you need to do is switch one of your other characters and have it as Defender, then the boss will target him/her

#8 Posted by Supermarius (1196 posts) -
@Ultimadark said:
" @ClownDetective: Yeah I know it was close, and I know I could have looked for help here on the forums or Gamefaqs or something, but I felt that if the game throws a boss with 1-hit KO's 15 minutes into the last fight, something which never occurs earlier in the game, then that game is not worth playing through to the end.  Did you finish it? "
Other major bosses in FF have had one hit KO moves or certain death moves. Ultima weapon, Yunalesca, Doom train (maybe?), etc. There is usually a tell, some warning that the move is coming that allows you to avoid death but you have to use your brain. So, you basically erased 60 hours of your life because you didnt want to take the time to figure out the boss' strategy. Nice. Make sure not to try any SMT games, you will go nuts.
#9 Posted by Ultimadark (150 posts) -
@floodiastus: Yeah, the tactics in this game are reduced to setting up some good paradigms, and then switching between them and pressing auto-attack. My girlfriend was watching me playing it with my right hand while I was eating with my left hand, and wondered how it was possible to play and eat at the same time, I just said that that's the way this game plays.

@tomte:
 Yeah, I guess I could have tried that, didn''t think about changing paradigm settings though and I was playing with Snow, Lightning and Hope, so I was the only one who had the defender role. I think it's pretty stupid that if the character you control die, you die, the other characters could use raise on you and you could continue playing. 

@Supermarius: This is the first Final Fantasy I've played (except for maybve 10 hours of FF12), so I guess I'm not very used to JRPGs. And I was at around 37 hours, not 60, so not as many hours erased as you thought :)
#10 Posted by ClownDetective (142 posts) -
@Ultimadark said:
" @ClownDetective: Yeah I know it was close, and I know I could have looked for help here on the forums or Gamefaqs or something, but I felt that if the game throws a boss with 1-hit KO's 15 minutes into the last fight, something which never occurs earlier in the game, then that game is not worth playing through to the end.  Did you finish it? "
Yea I finished it, and I reckon you could have just tried some things and beaten the last boss with ease. I did it, and I actually avoided a lot of enemies towards the end, so i was probably underleveled. I'm guessing it was destrudo, or the big knife thing that ohk you in the end, I don't remember clearly, but that attack is supposed to take your health all the down to being very slim. It would have ohk me too but for two reasons - I made sure buffs were always on, on my party and on the boss, that was my main priority, and also as soon as he tried to do that I would switch to med med sen, which is an invaluable paradigm for bosses. I'm sure if you tried a few times with those tips you would have beaten it.
#11 Posted by Supermarius (1196 posts) -
@Ultimadark:  oh well if its the first one then i could see this. Just keep it in mind for next time because FF does like to pull this trick.
#12 Posted by floodiastus (1262 posts) -
@Ultimadark said:
" @floodiastus: Yeah, the tactics in this game are reduced to setting up some good paradigms, and then switching between them and pressing auto-attack. My girlfriend was watching me playing it with my right hand while I was eating with my left hand, and wondered how it was possible to play and eat at the same time, I just said that that's the way this game plays.

@tomte:
 Yeah, I guess I could have tried that, didn''t think about changing paradigm settings though and I was playing with Snow, Lightning and Hope, so I was the only one who had the defender role. I think it's pretty stupid that if the character you control die, you die, the other characters could use raise on you and you could continue playing. 

@Supermarius: This is the first Final Fantasy I've played (except for maybve 10 hours of FF12), so I guess I'm not very used to JRPGs. And I was at around 37 hours, not 60, so not as many hours erased as you thought :) "
Indeed, incredibly boring combat system, so boring infact that you just hate encounters which never happened to me in any other FF game. Things arent getting better since the gameplay surrounding combat is so linear and unsatisfying the only thing you can do is appreciate the story (which seems alright so far).
#13 Posted by obcdexter (592 posts) -

Seriously? I thought the combat was the best thing about the whole game. Hm ...

#14 Posted by micahchiles (33 posts) -

put some cherub crown's on. not very hard then at all.

#15 Posted by AuthenticM (3715 posts) -

lol, crybaby

#16 Posted by Kombat (2205 posts) -
@AuthenticM said:
" lol, crybaby "
Pretty much.  If you deleted your save, you're pretty stupid.
#17 Posted by septim (774 posts) -

So you wasted 80 hours of your life to not finish a game, then decide to post about it triumphantly on a forum?

#18 Posted by Ultimadark (150 posts) -
@septim: Well, I'm giving everyone else my opinion of the game, not bragging about not finishing it :P
#19 Posted by Joru (311 posts) -

I beat the last boss first try, he's not nearly as difficult as some of the stuff from earlier in the game, provided you go in carefully. There's an IGN guide that's quite nice and would have helped you I think, had you not deleted the save.

#20 Posted by ricetopher (1046 posts) -

I have a hard time anyone would put 37 hours into a game they weren't enjoying. Maybe you should have given up when you realized you didn't like it, instead of going on just to hate the game even more. 

Also, could have created/read a thread for help instead. For starters, I can tell you that despite what you think, your own input can be better than auto-battle.

#21 Posted by Hailinel (24409 posts) -

You really gave up easily, didn't you?  Getting beaten twice and then giving up entirely?  Why even bother playing that far if all you're going to do is quit?

#22 Posted by luce (4045 posts) -
@Ultimadark said:
" Well, I'm giving everyone else my opinion of the game, not bragging about not finishing it :P "
The way your OP was worded you'd think otherwise
#23 Posted by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -

37 hours? There's no way that you could have been prepared for that battle at all. No wonder you were annihilated.

#24 Edited by Ultimadark (150 posts) -
@ricetopher: I really wanted to like the game at first, I didn't really get into it until chapter 11 ,    but later on in the game I just wanted to see it through and be done with it. So I guess you could say that I enjoyed it a little bit, but ultimately it proved to be a disappointing experience to me.   

@Hailinel:

I played it because I partly liked it. What this is post is about though is the ability to move on and not stay on completing a game just for the sake of completing it (and yes, I have to admit that a big part of me wanted to try the final boss again just to have completed the game), but instead leaving it and go on to enjoy something else, rather than being frustrated.
#25 Edited by SpunkyHePanda (1615 posts) -

The last boss is a total asshole.

#26 Posted by Symphony (1912 posts) -

Ugg, it's clear that logic has no place in this tread so... uhh congrats on telling the world you deleted your save and moved on to something else? Go team go?

#27 Posted by natetodamax (19192 posts) -

That's really, really dumb that you decided to delete your save because you can't beat a boss after trying twice.

#28 Posted by Hailinel (24409 posts) -
@Ultimadark:   You tried twice.  That strikes me as an incredibly low tolerance for failure.  But whatever.  Good luck giving up on other games in the future.
#29 Edited by Scrumdidlyumptious (1640 posts) -

Cherub Crown and a brain is how I beat the last boss. Anyway, the ending isn't worth seeing. Loved the game, but Final Fantasy endings have never been my cup of tea.

EDIT: Thanks ricetopher. Slipped my mind.
#30 Posted by jakob187 (21663 posts) -
@Ultimadark: Man, you think getting 1-shot by a boss in FFXIII is bad?  You wouldn't survive on WoW!  lol
#31 Edited by ricetopher (1046 posts) -
@Scrumdidlyumptious: Agree with you on the ending, but you might wanna mark that spoiler.
#32 Edited by Beforet (2916 posts) -

I understand getting pissed off, putting the game down, then forgetting about it until you try again three months later and beat the guy on the first try. I have certainly done that before. But now you can't even do that! Come on. I hope you don't end up regretting it, because then you'll have to go through the 20 hour tutorial gain.

#33 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -
@Ultimadark:  Hey, you got further than me.  I stopped at fighting against Vanille's summon.
#34 Posted by xyzygy (9949 posts) -

That whole one-hit KO thing is pretty easy to get out of. They're called Medics and in about 5 seconds they can have your team fully healed and back in action after the attacks.

#35 Posted by Fallen189 (4988 posts) -

I also thought it was shit. You're not alone, but I didn't delete it. It'll just sit there forever as I never beat it.

#36 Posted by ChristianCastillo (1178 posts) -

why delete it ????~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#37 Edited by Ultimadark (150 posts) -
@jakob187 said:

" @Ultimadark: Man, you think getting 1-shot by a boss in FFXIII is bad?  You wouldn't survive on WoW!  lol "

I played when TBC was the newest expansion, lvl 70 NE priest, got Lady Vasjh down :)  

@xyzygy
said:

" That whole one-hit KO thing is pretty easy to get out of. They're called Medics and in about 5 seconds they can have your team fully healed and back in action after the attacks. "  

Doesn't matter if it's the main guy, then it's game over 

@zyn: The thing I found about fighting summons was that if you keep switching paradigms all the time (autoattack, switch, auto, switch....) then you can take them pretty easily. 

@Beforet:  I'm probably going to trade it in at gamestop soon so then I will have full closure :) 
#38 Posted by LiquidPrince (15911 posts) -

That is one of the stupidest things I've heard in recent memory. "Argh game hard, delete all save files!" Also, I think the voice acting is top notch even if the script isn't. But I have no problem with the script either. It's typical melodrama found in Japanese stories and games.

#39 Posted by turbomonkey138 (4950 posts) -

I got to the second disc and traded it in ....massive disappointment

#40 Posted by pepper (304 posts) -
@LiquidPrince: Just because it is typical doesn't make it okay.
#41 Posted by xyzygy (9949 posts) -
@pepper said:
" @LiquidPrince: Just because it is typical doesn't make it okay. "
That style of creating a script and characters is part of Japanese culture. They're different than us. So yes, that makes it OK. That's why mostly every JRPG is like that, because they're part of Japanese culture. Final Fantasy is huge in Japan so it is totally understandable why it is so melodramatic.
#42 Posted by pepper (304 posts) -
@xyzygy said:
" @pepper said:
That style of creating a script and characters is part of Japanese culture. They're different than us. So yes, that makes it OK. That's why mostly every JRPG is like that, because they're part of Japanese culture. Final Fantasy is huge in Japan so it is totally understandable why it is so melodramatic. "
If something is not good but is consistently not good, should we allow it to not be good simply because that is the norm?

I understand it makes sense in their culture, but I am talking about the game from our perspective culture.
#43 Posted by Hailinel (24409 posts) -
@pepper said:
" @xyzygy said:
" @pepper said:
That style of creating a script and characters is part of Japanese culture. They're different than us. So yes, that makes it OK. That's why mostly every JRPG is like that, because they're part of Japanese culture. Final Fantasy is huge in Japan so it is totally understandable why it is so melodramatic. "
If something is not good but is consistently not good, should we allow it to not be good simply because that is the norm?  I understand it makes sense in their culture, but I am talking about the game from our perspective culture. "
You're just painting yourself as ignorant by calling something "bad" because it does not subscribe to the general qualities that you expect to see in something of your own culture.
#44 Posted by xyzygy (9949 posts) -
@pepper: But that game is a product of their culture! You can't just say that that is unacceptable because it doesn't fit to the desires of your own. That is being ignorant of their way of doings things.
#45 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -

Really? You deleted the save? Whats the point in that. You could have picked it up later and finished it. Ah well, enjoy GTA?

@pepper said:

" @xyzygy said:
" @pepper said:
If something is not good but is consistently not good, should we allow it to not be good simply because that is the norm?  I understand it makes sense in their culture, but I am talking about the game from our perspective culture. "

It's a culture difference. If you don't like that style of game don't buy it. Simple as that.
#46 Posted by Ihatespaces (44 posts) -
@Ultimadark said:
" I'm done with Final Fantasy 13, last night I got to the last boss, and after to tries when he one-shot my main character about 15 minutes into the fight, I decided that I'm done and I won't play this game anymore. I deleted my save files and moved on to GTA IV, The lost and damned, feels great to hear some good voice acting for a change. "
Geez, I can't imagine what you'd do if you played a game that's actually difficult.
#47 Posted by InfiniteGeass (2052 posts) -

I thought the voice acting was pretty good....

#48 Posted by LiquidPrince (15911 posts) -
@pepper said: @pepper:
" @xyzygy said:
" @pepper said:
This argument may have had some weight, if what you were arguing wasn't one hundred percent subjective. You don't like the melodrama, but I think it's fantastic. It's nice to have a different style of RPG then the standard western style of either dragon slayer or space marine.
#49 Posted by pepper (304 posts) -
@LiquidPrince said:
" @pepper said: @pepper:
" @xyzygy said:
" @pepper said:
This argument may have had some weight, if what you were arguing wasn't one hundred percent subjective. You don't like the melodrama, but I think it's fantastic. It's nice to have a different style of RPG then the standard western style of either dragon slayer or space marine. "
Alright, let me back up a bit. I think the melodrama is alright in some games and not in others. I didn't mean that the melodrama was bad. I just meant just because something happens all the time doesn't make it okay.

And I only commented on the culture thing because the way his response put it, it sounded like he was using it as a defense.
#50 Posted by LiquidPrince (15911 posts) -
@pepper said:
" @LiquidPrince said:
" @pepper said: @pepper:
" @xyzygy said:
" @pepper said:
This argument may have had some weight, if what you were arguing wasn't one hundred percent subjective. You don't like the melodrama, but I think it's fantastic. It's nice to have a different style of RPG then the standard western style of either dragon slayer or space marine. "
Alright, let me back up a bit. I think the melodrama is alright in some games and not in others. I didn't mean that the melodrama was bad. I just meant just because something happens all the time doesn't make it okay.  And I only commented on the culture thing because the way his response put it, it sounded like he was using it as a defense. "
Noted. Still subjective, and I still disagree.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.