Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 09, 2010

This entry into the Final Fantasy universe is set in the worlds of Pulse and Cocoon. Players take control of multiple characters who are caught in a war between these worlds.

Finally S-Ranked Final Fantasy XIII. Final thoughts!

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By xyzygy

Yes I purposefully put as many "finals" in the title =P 

So I just concluded my meeting with Bhakti who told me that I "seem to be quite the Treasure Hunter, too!". What a blissful experience. Getting told by a half-dead cleaning droid that all I've worked for in 40 hours of playtime is something he can pass off with a ", too!" at the end of a sentence. It's a great feeling though - only 17 others on GB, as of this typing, have this.

Really though, I've had so much fun with this game. Even after 141 hours, I can say that the battle system is still engaging and intense. Like the time I somehow 5-starred the Gigantaur (I honestly don't know how I did it), or when I took down my first Shaolong Gui. Man those things are tough but of so satisfying. And to be honest I find the game is much better after you beat the storyline. That's where you really learn the meat of the combat system, it's where you need to learn to quickly switch between paradigms (the Tortoise Paradigm comes to mind :P) and it's where you'll explore the larger side of the upgrading system. I do realize that a lot of these post game things aren't for a lot of people though, and I can totally understand that. Not to mention it's where your characters will get insane stats!

My favorite part of the game has probably got to be Palumpolum though. The scenery was beautiful and the characters really opened up there, especially when you get to meet Fang. She is so badass. And I'm so glad I get to sport that Gamerpic around now :D  

BTW, has anyone seen the gamerpics? I don't think I've ever seen a higher quality GP before. It's really defined, has rounded edges, and just looks really good. I'll be glad when people see it on my profile! 

Anyway, now to wait until Versus comes out for the PS3. I really hope it can compete with FFXIII. I really don't like the team that is behind it (Kingdom Hearts team, I hate everything Kingdom Hearts), but I love the universe of FFXIII and if Versus is set in the same world, I am hoping for the best!

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By xyzygy

Yes I purposefully put as many "finals" in the title =P 

So I just concluded my meeting with Bhakti who told me that I "seem to be quite the Treasure Hunter, too!". What a blissful experience. Getting told by a half-dead cleaning droid that all I've worked for in 40 hours of playtime is something he can pass off with a ", too!" at the end of a sentence. It's a great feeling though - only 17 others on GB, as of this typing, have this.

Really though, I've had so much fun with this game. Even after 141 hours, I can say that the battle system is still engaging and intense. Like the time I somehow 5-starred the Gigantaur (I honestly don't know how I did it), or when I took down my first Shaolong Gui. Man those things are tough but of so satisfying. And to be honest I find the game is much better after you beat the storyline. That's where you really learn the meat of the combat system, it's where you need to learn to quickly switch between paradigms (the Tortoise Paradigm comes to mind :P) and it's where you'll explore the larger side of the upgrading system. I do realize that a lot of these post game things aren't for a lot of people though, and I can totally understand that. Not to mention it's where your characters will get insane stats!

My favorite part of the game has probably got to be Palumpolum though. The scenery was beautiful and the characters really opened up there, especially when you get to meet Fang. She is so badass. And I'm so glad I get to sport that Gamerpic around now :D  

BTW, has anyone seen the gamerpics? I don't think I've ever seen a higher quality GP before. It's really defined, has rounded edges, and just looks really good. I'll be glad when people see it on my profile! 

Anyway, now to wait until Versus comes out for the PS3. I really hope it can compete with FFXIII. I really don't like the team that is behind it (Kingdom Hearts team, I hate everything Kingdom Hearts), but I love the universe of FFXIII and if Versus is set in the same world, I am hoping for the best!

Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Brunchies

Thats great you enjoyed it, I bought FFXIII before spring break and I still have to start it.

yeahno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By yeahno

I just had to go through a major obstacle. I had JUST gotten to Pulse. Had to fight 8 battles, then fight Hope's Eidolon, then the tutorial screen pops up for the missions of the stone ce'ith...but no words were on it. I could not advance, I had to restart from the 8 battles. I had to do this 5 times. I finally got to a save point and got that over with. I don't know what went wrong. 
    How much extra stuff is there, anyway?

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By xyzygy
    @yeahno: Well, there are 64 Cie'th stones in total, so I spent most of my time beating them, getting equipment, maxing out my characters (A whole new level of the Crystarium opens up after you beat the final boss!) 5-starring those mission with my maxed weapons, accessories and characters, and then getting all the components and gil so I can upgrade and acquire every weapon. I beat the game at around 75 hours and finished all the extra stuff at around 140. 

That's so weird about the text glitch though. I've actually never run into any sort of glitch in this game, I heard there was some sort of glitch where a character can get stuck in the air or something and I never had that either.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#5  Edited By JJWeatherman

How did you already put 141 hours into it? Jeez im still truckin away trying to "beat" Forza 3 and I've had that since like November.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By xyzygy
    @JJWeatherman: I had the game in the console for over 3 weeks straight. I never once switched it out for another game! haha
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By ch13696

I think the gamer pic thing that FF XIII is doing should be done by all games. Take the top 7 hardest achievements and show them off like that. I'm a little disappointed  with the PS3's themes, but they're still free.

groin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By groin

I managed to get the platinum with around 95 hours played. How did you manage 140 hours?

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By xyzygy
    @groin: Wow, you must have been very focused. I find myself wandering in this game and kind of losing direction, just going into random battles and stuff. Maybe my luck with the drops were bad too? As much as you find it odd that I took so long... I find it amazing how you could do all that stuff in 95 hours. Seriously, I don't think I'd be able to do that. I'm so slow at playing games.
    Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Symphony

Grats on S-Ranking it you crazy person, you. :P

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#11  Edited By gla55jAw

That's awesome. I'm post game and I'm about 60 hours in (I beat it in 53), I'm still having fun. I just got the Growth egg! My only fear is the 5 star for every mission achievement. I know you can go back and redo them, but it seems like I'm really going to have to have maxed stats for those.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By xyzygy
    @gla55jAw: Don't be afraid of the five stars. Just beat all the missions first. When you beat your final mission, you will get an item called a Gold Watch. This item increases the time limit for getting better ratings in a battle. So basically, they're increasing the amount of time you have to five star a mission. Mix that with good weapons and stats and it's not that bad. The only missions that should give you any problem are Attacus (Mission 51 I believe), Vercingetorix (Mission 64) and the Gigantaur (Mission 54).
    gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#13  Edited By gla55jAw
    @xyzygy said:
    " @gla55jAw: Don't be afraid of the five stars. Just beat all the missions first. When you beat your final mission, you will get an item called a Gold Watch. This item increases the time limit for getting better ratings in a battle. So basically, they're increasing the amount of time you have to five star a mission. Mix that with good weapons and stats and it's not that bad. The only missions that should give you any problem are Attacus (Mission 51 I believe), Vercingetorix (Mission 64) and the Gigantaur (Mission 54). "
    Oh nice. Thanks for letting me know.
    viney212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By viney212

Another trick, that the official strategy guide mentions, is if you're having trouble getting a 5 star, try actually equipping weaker weapons.  I know it sounds crazy to not use some of your best gear on some of the tougher marks, but weapon stats directly factor into the target time assigned to each battle.  The stronger your gear the lower the target time you'll get for a battle.  The number of ATB gauges each character has also factors into the target time.  So removing ultimate tier weapons can help boost that target time as well.  Gives you a little room to work with to find a good strategy and balance of weapon stats vs. target time. 

Check the battle rank guide here  http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps3/file/928790/59246.  It's got some good pointers on increasing your battle ratings and shows you exactly how everything's calculated.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By pweidman

Congrats tc on your S rank.  FFXIII is no joke on the achieves.  The treasure hunter alone seems redic: You have to find every weapon for every character, and teir 2 them all!!!  Then you also have to teir 3 one for every character as well correct? A buddy who also S ranked it told me my Gladius sword for Light has 26 lvls to get to the next tier!!  Just crazy.  I can see doing that in the game to improve each character, but that is a crapload of harvesting and upgrade time.  How many hours would you say you spent just in the upgrade screens?  BTW, I agree with you on the combat system; it's brilliant and the whole paradigm switching strategies business is genius.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By xyzygy
    @Viney212: You're right, that works wonders too. Thanks for mentioning that I totally forgot! And it's not only weapons - the same applies for accessories. So if you're having a tough time with 5-starring a certain mission and you have some accessories equipped that you could do without, you can take those off and it'll help too. Every little bit helps.  

@pweidman:
    I would say I probably spent around 10 hours at the vendors and upgrade screens. I wasn't focused at all and sometimes lost myself in the game, going back and forth through vendors and upgrades, seeing the amount of experience each item would give, applying 36 Sturdy Bones to every single weapon and accessory that need a large amount of EXP.  

Let's just say that I'm glad they didn't put towns in the game. It would be ten times more of a hassle if I had to go back and forth from town to town to get an item unique to a certain shop.  

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.