First Impressions: Final Fantasy XIII

Posted by Shadow71 (194 posts) -

I really hate sounding like a broken record, but I have to say...FFXIII is about as disappointing to me so far as some of the worst reviews suggested it might be. I've been a long time fan of the series, no doubt enjoying VI, VII, and the rest of the hits just as much as anyone. But I'm still finding XIII to be almost infuriating. I would almost make a statement as bold as "There is NO GAMEPLAY for the first 12 hours" being that you essentially are just forced into almost every battle placed on the map, and you don't really do ANYTHING outside of proceeding forward, fighting, and watching cutscenes over, and over again.

The game gets its first HINT of gameplay when you hit weather machines to change the enemies in a specific area. I'm now 15 hours into the game, forcing myself to play about 30 minutes a day; with others promising me that it gets better. I feel like I should be done with an RPG at the 25 hour mark, not having it finally get good. I'm leaning more and more towards just stopping for the time being. I just feel I haven't really been rewarded for the first 15 hours I've put in.

#1 Posted by Shadow71 (194 posts) -

I really hate sounding like a broken record, but I have to say...FFXIII is about as disappointing to me so far as some of the worst reviews suggested it might be. I've been a long time fan of the series, no doubt enjoying VI, VII, and the rest of the hits just as much as anyone. But I'm still finding XIII to be almost infuriating. I would almost make a statement as bold as "There is NO GAMEPLAY for the first 12 hours" being that you essentially are just forced into almost every battle placed on the map, and you don't really do ANYTHING outside of proceeding forward, fighting, and watching cutscenes over, and over again.

The game gets its first HINT of gameplay when you hit weather machines to change the enemies in a specific area. I'm now 15 hours into the game, forcing myself to play about 30 minutes a day; with others promising me that it gets better. I feel like I should be done with an RPG at the 25 hour mark, not having it finally get good. I'm leaning more and more towards just stopping for the time being. I just feel I haven't really been rewarded for the first 15 hours I've put in.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.