Gamespot review

• 68 results
#1 Edited by luce (4045 posts) -

8.5...but from Kevin 

He says it has a great story which is pretty much the opposite from the popular opinion 

I guess i'll just have to see for myself..these reviews are too mixed

review 
#2 Edited by Addfwyn (1934 posts) -

Story is probably gonna be person to person if they like it or not, the cast is really strong though, which can help carry a story.  I actually liked Vanille, but hearing early impressions of the english version sounds like she dies by the VA.

Whereas in a game like FF12, even though the story is decent the cast kinda drags it down, since it lacks much there. 

It's a decent review, but I really wish people would stop complaining about the linear quality.  Some of us want linear games.  JRPGs are, as a quality of the genre, linear.  If I wanted to sacrifice story for a big sprawling non-linear game, I'd play a WRPG.   

EDIT: Oops, double posted somehow, fixed that.

#3 Edited by Mooshu (486 posts) -

8.5 on its own isn't a bad score... but for a Final Fantasy game? Plus with the frequency of 9.somethings these days, you can call almost anything that's rated below 9.0 a flop.

Looks like all the initial negative reports on this game are true.

#4 Posted by Mourne (789 posts) -

Kevin also gave Crisis Core a 9.5, lest we forget.

#5 Posted by jmrwacko (2443 posts) -

Some people actually preferred FFXII's story over previous final fantasies because it was more political than previous storylines. So, yeah...

#6 Posted by gike987 (1758 posts) -
@Mourne said:
" Kevin also gave Crisis Core a 9.5, lest we forget. "
But Crisis Core was pretty good for a PSP game.
#7 Posted by DragoonKain1687 (702 posts) -
@jmrwacko said:
" Some people actually preferred FFXII's story over previous final fantasies because it was more political than previous storylines. So, yeah... "
I know I am one of those. Sadly it crippled near the end because of the internal problems at SE. I mean, yo seriously notice the decline after the whole Crystal sequence. 
FF XII is more western in many ways, which is what made many people hate it. Cant see how can they hate XII and love X. I mean, X is like Hannah Montana but done as an RPG -.-
#8 Posted by luce (4045 posts) -
@gike987 said:
" @Mourne said:
But Crisis Core was pretty good for a PSP game. "
and it was a 9.0 not 9.5
#9 Posted by alternate (2713 posts) -

I like FF12 story.  RPG story is always a bit subjective - I think it just matters more in XIII as they changed so much else.

#10 Posted by nanikore (2740 posts) -

Cool flat grass textures, bro.

#11 Posted by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -
@Mooshu said:
" 8.5 on its own isn't a bad score... but for a Final Fantasy game? Plus with the frequency of 9.somethings these days, you can call almost anything that's rated below 9.0 a flop. Looks like all the initial negative reports on this game are true. "
I find the fact people actually believe this hilarious. 
#12 Posted by Lambert (404 posts) -

Final Fantasy games tend to have inflated scores anyway because of the brand name and nostalgia factor.

#13 Edited by Ham08 (202 posts) -

Jeremy Parish from 1up gave it an A- (converts to low 90s score, I believe)  over on their website, here.  He made some excellent points, both positive and negative.  I thought both the 1up and Gamespot reviews were pretty good.  

Personally, I don't mind the Linear gameplay and I think exploring wide open areas can become tedious when it takes too long to find the good stuff.  Also, towns are over-rated if you ask me.  I don't think I have ever played a game where the towns weren't tedious to endure.  Not fun.  It's the game-play/combat, story, music, characters, and voice acting that interest me and from what I have read, seen, and heard in articles, video previews, trailers, and Quick Looks, FFXIII hits high marks in those areas..  Plus, the game is mostly very beautiful to look at.

#14 Posted by Mourne (789 posts) -
@luce said:
" @gike987 said:
" @Mourne said:
and it was a 9.0 not 9.5 "
It was good for a PSP game if your standards for a PSP game are so low that you're able to disregard its many, many, many, many flaws and poor gameplay decisions outright. It was an absolutely dreadful game, and if a game had come with those qualities and without the gravitous of  the FF7 brand name, it would have scored a 5.5.

I admit the PSP has the lowest quality stable overall, of all modern systems, but that's simply no excuse to me. Once you factor in just how much it deviated from the game it originated from in terms of overall tone and feel, there's no way in hell this is a 9.0 game.
#15 Posted by Mooshu (486 posts) -
\@Hitchenson said:
" @Mooshu said:
" 8.5 on its own isn't a bad score... but for a Final Fantasy game? Plus with the frequency of 9.somethings these days, you can call almost anything that's rated below 9.0 a flop. Looks like all the initial negative reports on this game are true. "
I find the fact people actually believe this hilarious.  "

If this were a few years ago, I'd be right there with you on that viewpoint. But these days, most review sites give out 9.0s far too easily. It's a pattern that has only gotten worse as time goes on. 8.0 is the new 7.0.
#16 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

This review is brought to you by our friends at Square Enix! 

I'm sorry, but why does anyone visit GameSpot anymore?

#17 Edited by luce (4045 posts) -
@Mourne said:

" @luce said:

" @gike987 said:

" @Mourne said:
It was good for a PSP game if your standards for a PSP game are so low that you're able to disregard its many, many, many, many flaws and poor gameplay decisions outright. It was an absolutely dreadful game, and if a game had come with those qualities and without the gravitous of  the FF7 brand name, it would have scored a 5.5.  I admit the PSP has the lowest quality stable overall, of all modern systems, but that's simply no excuse to me. Once you factor in just how much it deviated from the game it originated from in terms of overall tone and feel, there's no way in hell this is a 9.0 game. "
I was just pointing out the fact that you're wrong. I couldn't care less about your opinion of someone else's opinion of a videogame.
#18 Posted by FreakAche (2954 posts) -

@MysteriousBob
Because review scores aside, the actual content of the reviews is still informative and thorough.

#19 Posted by DanceDanceKennypants (632 posts) -
@FreakAche: 

You're right. The reviews themselves are pretty solid. Ignore the scores.

They're a big business, with big business ways.

The staff have bills to pay, including Kevin VanOrd.
#20 Edited by spazmaster666 (1972 posts) -
@MysteriousBob said:

" This review is brought to you by our friends at Square Enix!  I'm sorry, but why does anyone visit GameSpot anymore? "

Because they're smart enough to know that reviewers aren't actually paid by game publishers to give higher scores?

In any case, Gamespot usually scores games lower than other review sites do, even though in the case of FFXIII, the standard deviation is much higher than usual.
#21 Posted by Godwind (2597 posts) -

After FF12's broken controls, I already figured that I didn't want to play this game a long time ago.

#22 Posted by hai2u (322 posts) -

hey ff12's gameplay was great, so much to do, just everything else sucked ass !(music, plot, characters)

#23 Posted by Marz (5658 posts) -

I actually enjoyed the gambit system from 12, wish more rpg's had tactic customization like that.  Dragon age kinda did it too.  But i know some people don't like automating their npc's but i do.

#24 Posted by TheHBK (5506 posts) -
@nanikore said:
" Cool flat grass textures, bro. "
holy crap, that looks fucking terrible.  Not even some small grass sprites?  You can tell the only reason this game is on 3 discs is because of the CG.  The game part itself can easily fit onto a CD from the looks of things.
#25 Posted by TheHT (11505 posts) -
@Mooshu said:
" \@Hitchenson said:
" @Mooshu said:
If this were a few years ago, I'd be right there with you on that viewpoint. But these days, most review sites give out 9.0s far too easily. It's a pattern that has only gotten worse as time goes on. 8.0 is the new 7.0. "
lol oh gosh. maybe 9s are thrown out there because lots of good games came out.

if that's the case then shame on game developers for making great games, flooding the review sites with 9s, totally spoiling us. /sarcasm 

@Mourne said:
" @luce said:
" @gike987 said:
" @Mourne said:
It was good for a PSP game if your standards for a PSP game are so low that you're able to disregard its many, many, many, many flaws and poor gameplay decisions outright. It was an absolutely dreadful game, and if a game had come with those qualities and without the gravitous of  the FF7 brand name, it would have scored a 5.5.  I admit the PSP has the lowest quality stable overall, of all modern systems, but that's simply no excuse to me. Once you factor in just how much it deviated from the game it originated from in terms of overall tone and feel, there's no way in hell this is a 9.0 game. "
lol yes, rationlize it however you want to. make it so that in your world, without the ff7 tie in aspect everyone would have agreed with you.

lmao strong opinions are so funny sometimes.
#26 Posted by dbz1995 (4790 posts) -
@Marz said:
" I actually enjoyed the gambit system from 12, wish more rpg's had tactic customization like that.  Dragon age kinda did it too.  But i know some people don't like automating their npc's but i do. "
I agree with this-the hatred for XII was, for me, not true. I even liked the characters.
#27 Posted by Hot_Karl (3309 posts) -

Just to be clear, it's about 99.9% likely that Final Fantasy XIII won't get reviewed by the crew, right?

#28 Posted by Mooshu (486 posts) -
@TheHT said:
" @Mooshu said:
" \@Hitchenson said:
" @Mooshu said:
If this were a few years ago, I'd be right there with you on that viewpoint. But these days, most review sites give out 9.0s far too easily. It's a pattern that has only gotten worse as time goes on. 8.0 is the new 7.0. "
lol oh gosh. maybe 9s are thrown out there because lots of good games came out.

if that's the case then shame on game developers for making great games, flooding the review sites with 9s, totally spoiling us. /sarcasm
Or maybe the reviewers these days aren't very good or can be swayed easily, or maybe they get paid off to give games good reviews, it could be any number of things really.  I really couldn't care less.

Whatever the case may be, this is part of the reason I don't go to big gaming sites for reviews these days. Sites like Kotaku, Giant Bomb, and Destructiod give more opinionated reviews and I can trust the content in these reviews to be more truthful than IGN, or Gamespot, or what have you.
#29 Posted by wwfundertaker (1404 posts) -

Im pretty shocked at most of the reviews, was not expecting this.

#30 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

Good job GameSpot.

#31 Posted by Cornman89 (1579 posts) -
@VinceNotVance: I don't see why they wouldn't. Vinny and Brad, at least, seem to be okay with Final Fantasy.
#32 Edited by PenguinDust (12550 posts) -

1UP's Jeremy Parish gave the game an A- in his review.  
And, Griffin McElroy at Joystiq liked the game, too but said it takes 15 hours & 30 minutes before it all comes together and clicks just right.

Seems to be a "like it or hate it" game if you take the reviews seriously.  Probably one that each gamer must play for themselves to decide.

#33 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@wwfundertaker said:
" Im pretty shocked at most of the reviews, was not expecting this. "
...dude the game had a resell value of 1000円 ($10) in Japan a week after launch.  The Japanese forums dislike this game the most in recent Square years...it's a decent RPG but not the hype that Square promised back in 2006.  Nomura is the only one left to fix this mess with Versus XIII
#34 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -
@VinceNotVance said:
" Just to be clear, it's about 99.9% likely that Final Fantasy XIII won't get reviewed by the crew, right? "
wrong. brad or vinny will review it, probably brad
#35 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@PenguinDust said:
" 1UP's Jeremy Parish gave the game an A- in his review.  
And, Griffin McElroy at Joystiq liked the game, too but said it takes 15 hours & 30 minutes before it all comes together and clicks just right. Seems to be a "like it or hate it" game if you take the reviews seriously.  Probably one that each gamer must play for themselves to decide. "
Pretty much the same deal with FFIX and FFV...and to a lesser extent FFVIII, although people who hate FFVIII tend to be gamers who got their RPG cherries popped by FFVII.
#36 Posted by RobotHamster (4175 posts) -

Wait, everyone says the ps3 version is way better yet they give it the same score?  But on some other multiplatform games they'll give the 360 a few points more, thats pretty biased. 

#37 Edited by Mourne (789 posts) -
@TheHT said:

" l ol yes, rationlize it however you want to. make it so that in your world, without the ff7 tie in aspect everyone would have agreed with you.   lmao strong opinions are so funny sometimes. "

Lovely reply; keep it up, chuckles.

@luce said:

" I was just pointing out the fact that you're wrong. I couldn't care less about your opinion of someone else's opinion of a videogame. "

Hmm... Such is why you were the one to make a topic about GameSpot's review of the game, and then went on to comment that, given how mixed the reviews were, you'd have to see for yourself. You realize reviews are opinions, right? Only difference being that reviews on GameSpot typically reflect the corporate entity pushing the game. My opinion about GameSpot's review was only in passing--my thoughts on the game were the actual point of the post.
#38 Edited by I_smell (3924 posts) -

Fuck Kevin Van Ord, he thinks Demon's Souls is wonderful.

#39 Posted by wwfundertaker (1404 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" @wwfundertaker said:
" Im pretty shocked at most of the reviews, was not expecting this. "
...dude the game had a resell value of 1000円 ($10) in Japan a week after launch.  The Japanese forums dislike this game the most in recent Square years...it's a decent RPG but not the hype that Square promised back in 2006.  Nomura is the only one left to fix this mess with Versus XIII "
After waiting so long for this game and hearing what people are saying really bums me out. What makes it worse is versus xiii is only for the ps3.
#40 Posted by keyhunter (3207 posts) -

All my favorite games score in the mid 6's low 7's. You people should stop letting reviews influence your buying decisions.

#41 Posted by luce (4045 posts) -
@Mourne: 
I really don't want to hear about you're ridiculous conspiracy theory about game reviews. The reviews are there to help you make a purchasing decision on a game while your useless opinion/rant on the actual review serves no purpose.

Whether the game was actually worth the money, I will have to decide for myself since most reviews I've read state different things ( most importantly, whether the story and characters are worth a damn)
#42 Edited by EpicSteve (6489 posts) -

I wonder if he played it for 6 hours. ZING!

So it's a good game, sweet.

#43 Edited by Mourne (789 posts) -
@luce said:

" @Mourne:  I really don't want to hear about you're ridiculous conspiracy theory about game reviews. The reviews are there to help you make a purchasing decision on a game while your useless opinion/rant on the actual review serves no purpose.   Whether the game was actually worth the money, I will have to decide for myself since most reviews I've read state different things ( most importantly, whether the story and characters are worth a damn) "

I do love how dismissive you are, but the part about GameSpot was merely a joke; a not-so-veiled criticism of your caring enough about GameSpot to actually check their review. You can say all you want about how reviews are there to help with purchasing, but how much does that really factor in for every odd person? Very little. If someone is excited about a game pre-release, they are generally not going to be dissuaded enough by even the lowest of review scores to stop them from buying it.

The characters and story are probably the best parts of this game, by the way. The cast is a strong one, but it'll depend on your taste in FFs. If you liked 12, may as well skip this one.

@EpicSteve said:

" I wonder if he played it for 6 hours. ZING!  So it's a good game, sweet. "

How dare you, good sir! GameSpot would never do such a thing.
#44 Edited by luce (4045 posts) -
@Mourne said:

I do love how dismissive you are, but the part about GameSpot was merely a joke; a not-so-veiled criticism of your caring enough about GameSpot to actually check their review. You can say all you want about how reviews are there to help with purchasing, but how much does that really factor in for every odd person? Very little. If someone is excited about a game pre-release, they are generally not going to be dissuaded enough by even the lowest of review scores to stop them from buying it.

The characters and story are probably the best parts of this game, by the way. The cast is a strong one, but it'll depend on your taste in FFs. If you liked 12, may as well skip this one.

Your silly little grudge with Gamespot shows a lot about you. So what if I read their review? What was I suppose to do with it exactly? As for reviews actually factoring into someone's purchasing decision, it does for me and many other gamers who actually follow gaming news. What you mistook as me being "dismissive" was just me not giving a fuck about your wild thoughts on videogame reviews. 

They're there, take it or leave it but bitching about them doesn't do much but make you look like a loony.
#45 Posted by Hot_Karl (3309 posts) -
@I_smell said:
" Fuck Kevin Van Ord, he thinks Demon's Souls is wonderful. "
Demon's Souls is wonderful, though! It's From Software saying "Fuck you gamers, try and beat this shit!"
#46 Posted by TheHT (11505 posts) -
@Mourne said:
" @TheHT said:

" l ol yes, rationlize it however you want to. make it so that in your world, without the ff7 tie in aspect everyone would have agreed with you.   lmao strong opinions are so funny sometimes. "

Lovely reply; keep it up, chuckles.

haha i knew you'd love it.
#47 Posted by Mourne (789 posts) -
@luce said:
" @Mourne said:

Your silly little grudge with Gamespot shows a lot about you. So what if I read their review? What was I suppose to do with it exactly?   As for reviews actually factoring into someone's purchasing decision, it does for me and many other gamers who actually follow gaming news What you mistook as me being "dismissive" was just me not giving a fuck about your wild thoughts on videogame reviews "
I have no grudge against GameSpot nor do I have any respect for their institution; I just don't care for reviews at all and mentioned GameSpot because of the fact they are the focus of this topic. I don't really see how my thoughts are that wild, but while we're playing pop psychology, your general abrasiveness and willingness to resort to vulgarity tell me even more about you. Feel free to chill out, though--it's just the internet. (You can have your topic back now; back to your regularly scheduled programming.)
#48 Posted by luce (4045 posts) -
@VinceNotVance said:
" @I_smell said:
" Fuck Kevin Van Ord, he thinks Demon's Souls is wonderful. "
Demon's Souls is wonderful, though! It's From Software saying "Fuck you gamers, try and beat this shit!" "
Fuck you. Demon's souls isn't wonderful it's FANTASTIC.
#49 Edited by luce (4045 posts) -
@Mourne said:

" @luce said:

" @Mourne said:

Your silly little grudge with Gamespot shows a lot about you. So what if I read their review? What was I suppose to do with it exactly?   As for reviews actually factoring into someone's purchasing decision, it does for me and many other gamers who actually follow gaming news What you mistook as me being "dismissive" was just me not giving a fuck about your wild thoughts on videogame reviews "
I have no grudge against GameSpot nor do I have any respect for their institution; I just don't care for reviews at all and mentioned GameSpot because of the fact they are the focus of this topic. I don't really see how my thoughts are that wild, but while we're playing pop psychology, your general abrasiveness and willingness to resort to vulgarity tell me even more about you. Feel free to chill out, though--it's just the internet. (You can have your topic back now; back to your regularly scheduled programming.) "
Your attempt to read my personality through the internet is flattering.  

If I was being Vulgar, i'd call you a vagina.

And for the record, I am perfectly chilled
#50 Posted by stratzilla (84 posts) -

Why people even take VanOrds word as anything but shit is mind boggling. I have no interest in Final Fantasy, but you guys need to learn to disregard this fool's reviews.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.